What kind of TE do we want for this offense?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Witten used to blaze early in his career. Watching his first few years highlights are a different ball game than how he finished.
True. But I wouldn’t use the word blaze.

watch the highlights of Michael Mayer and tell me your not in love with the kid.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
True. But I wouldn’t use the word blaze.

watch the highlights of Michael Mayer and tell me your not in love with the kid.

Maybe it just takes me back seeing him motor past guys, when he finishes his career falling forward 2 yards. He was much faster than we remember him though. 4.66 is pretty respectable for the big fella.

T-RO

Reaction score
Raw physical ability isn't everything, but just to give you a glimpse into this TE class

Athleticism score from Combine (40, Jumps, Shuttles, Cone, bench)

Zack Kuntz...94
Darnell Washington...91
Sam LoPorta...86
Luke Musgrave...86
Will Mallory...84
Luke Schoonmaker...84
Additional Guys here...yes loaded class
Peyton Hendershot...72
Michael Mayer...71
Dalton Schultz...69
Jake Ferguson...68
Dalton Kincaid didn't test

Hendershot and Ferguson are solid, but may not have physical tools to ever become big time. My hunch is the Cowboys will be eye-balling tight end within top four rounds

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Maybe it just takes me back seeing him motor past guys, when he finishes his career falling forward 2 yards. He was much faster than we remember him though. 4.66 is pretty respectable for the big fella.
Love written and a blocker as well

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’ve seen some mocks taking TE so I’m prepared to be upset. It’s not a need we got 2 horses and a solid TE in Mckeon

We have bigger needs
I’m shocked that a guy like you that thinks pass catchers is everything wouldn’t want a top flight pass catching te.

let me guess……you want us to take a WR with the first pick?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think Kincaid is the cleanest fit. Dak targets the hell out of slot receivers on short and medium routes... that's Kincaid's bread and butter.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
All the chatter of taking a TE early when we have two that are young and have potential! Are they not athletic enough, or does Mike want a TE that he's able to use down field more like a WR to create mismatches against cb's and LB'S. Maybe they want one who's a great blocker, I thought that's what Ferguson was good at!??

Please give me your thoughts
Good one!?:thumbup:

Ken

Reaction score
All the chatter of taking a TE early when we have two that are young and have potential! Are they not athletic enough, or does Mike want a TE that he's able to use down field more like a WR to create mismatches against cb's and LB'S. Maybe they want one who's a great blocker, I thought that's what Ferguson was good at!??

Please give me your thoughts
A guy like Jake Ferguson.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I want one that can block and catch and doesn't require a premium pick. Kraft
I pay zero attention to the college game, so Im assuming you arent talking about Kraft cheese? If this person can block and catch as you suggest, he wouldnt be available late in the draft.

If we draft a TE, I prefer one to be like Sharpe, Gonzalez, Kelce or Gronk. Any of those guys and we should be set for the next few years at TE...... smh

Reid1boys

Reaction score
To me YAC is the most important,this is how modern TE greats have made a living.
GREATS.... Pitts was supposed to rewrite the position and he has sucked. We have our starting TE on the team already. Its amazing how UNCOMPLICATED this is, and yet so many of you, I hope, are just talking about TE because you are bored.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Several gurus believe Dallas has an affinity for TE, Dalton Kincaid. He's generally rated as mid to late 1st round pick.

Last edited:

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I pay zero attention to the college game, so Im assuming you arent talking about Kraft cheese? If this person can block and catch as you suggest, he wouldnt be available late in the draft.

If we draft a TE, I prefer one to be like Sharpe, Gonzalez, Kelce or Gronk. Any of those guys and we should be set for the next few years at TE...... smh
He is probably going somewhere around the 3rd.

CWR

Reaction score
GREATS.... Pitts was supposed to rewrite the position and he has sucked. We have our starting TE on the team already. Its amazing how UNCOMPLICATED this is, and yet so many of you, I hope, are just talking about TE because you are bored.

Pitts had a pretty great rookie year, as far as TEs go. I expect he will be very good before it's all said and done.

XXLMike

Reaction score
I myself will be pissed if TE is even looked at prior to round 6.

We got to many issues DT, LB ,RB , OL and to lesser extent CB,WR I’d also like. QB over TE
We’re taking a TE 1st round .
Dalton Kincaid

plasticman

Reaction score
I want one that can adequately block but his greatest value is getting Dak out of trouble. I want a guy that can generate 1st downs and extend drives. I want him to be a great safety valve with the ability to create space on 3rd down plays.

I would like a Jay Novacek. He doesn't have to be a primary receiver like Witten was. He just needs to be there when needed.

Dalton Schultz, as a safety valve, was inadequate. His catch percentage and 1st down percentage was extremely low last season compared to TE's that caught at least 20 passes last season.

Out of those 44 TE's, Schultz was ranked 36th in catch percentage with 64% and 31st in 1st down percentage with 47.4%.

Compare those numbers with the Eagles Dallas Goedert, 4th in catch percentage with 79.7% and 1st in 1st down percentage with
72.7%.

starfan1

Reaction score
I’m shocked that a guy like you that thinks pass catchers is everything wouldn’t want a top flight pass catching te.

let me guess……you want us to take a WR with the first pick?
No I would like offensive line if Robinson isn’t there and I doubt he will be