What kind of TE do we want for this offense?

DanA

Reaction score
I feel like one of Musgrave, Kincaid, Darnell, Mayer or La Porta in the 2nd round will be the best player available.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I want an athletic one that can get the YAC and create mismatches. One that is a threat to take it to the house every time he has the ball.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I've seen that too. Lewis has had a long career but is basically a blocking TE.

Witten - 271 games - 13046 yards
Lewis - 251 games - 5084 yards

If we're looking for a pass catching playmaker, it's not Washington
If you want a inline blocker, Washington is the best, but he is more of a project at receiver.

Mannix

Reaction score
Look for Booger to float it out there how in love he is with so and so, only to have someone move up a couple spots and snatch him....like Philly did to us with Dallas Goedert, and someone will do this draft with Max Duggan.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Tony Gonzales, is he available?
A few.

I have to say. I do like our guys at TE right now. And I won't cry over another.

Like a Washington type. I think this year the value of TE is lower, and you have quality TEs until round 4.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
My idea of the type of TE that the Cowboys should seek and develop is one that fulfills the blocking, receiving and knack to get open downfield that an excellent tight end might ideally possess. Of course, these are collective traits that separate most TEs from the very best of the pack.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Going by early reviews, Michael Mayer seems to have the qualities that stand out as well as one might expect in the upcoming draft. Kincaid is another that might well prove better than most. Those with ideal qualities are the leaders of a rare breed that's hard to find.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Going by early reviews, Michael Mayer seems to have the qualities that stand out as well as one might expect in the upcoming draft. Kincaid is another that might well prove better than most. Those with ideal qualities are the leaders of a rare breed that's hard to find.
There's only 1 TE on the board for a pick in round 1.

Freak of the draft. Pretty much, at his position.

Darnell Washington - Even if you can just gain a half a point, or even a third on his 40, he's so athletic he could be really special. If not already. That's really the only one I think you'd use a first on.

I can also see them going for a guy like Jalin Hyatt, and just coaching him up and adding bulk to his game. If nothing else, he gives you something to deal with.

Or Johnston, Flowers, JSN, Downs, Addison. There are also actually a ton of sneaky good prospects that may have the juice to play day one.

And with him, your WR room could look like Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Hyatt, Hilton, > (Tolbert/Fejoko) for the season. With Fehoko taking another lighting blow from the football Gods round game 14 ish, before the big boys play.

There's also surprise RB picks Keaton Mitchell, Achane, to name a few obscure-type weapons we could use to frustrate teams with.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's only 1 TE on the board for a pick in round 1.

Freak of the draft. Pretty much, at his position.

Darnell Washington - Even if you can just gain a half a point, or even a third on his 40, he's so athletic he could be really special. If not already. That's really the only one I think you'd use a first on.

I can also see them going for a guy like Jalin Hyatt, and just coaching him up and adding bulk to his game. If nothing else, he gives you something to deal with.

Or Johnston, Flowers, JSN, Downs, Addison. There are also actually a ton of sneaky good prospects that may have the juice to play day one.

And with him, your WR room could look like Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Hyatt, Hilton, > (Tolbert/Fejoko) for the season. With Fehoko taking another lighting blow from the football Gods round game 14 ish, before the big boys play.

There's also surprise RB picks Keaton Mitchell, Achane, to name a few obscure-type weapons we could use to frustrate teams with.
You might well have a point about Washington, although, I'm somewhat uncertain his receiving skills are good enough to merit a 1st round pick without developing him further in that particular role. There's no question that his blocking would likely be exceptional enough to serve us nicely in the area of helping our running attack to find success. There's good reasons to believe his physicality stands out as something special to be admired.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I’d love to add a real blocking TE, but those are almost impossible to find.
Mark my words, though, whomever drafts Georgia’s TE Washington will see an immediate improvement in their running game. This is a guy who won’t just help vs DEs. He will dominate most of them by himself. Many experts believe if he wanted to put on weight, he could play OT. He’s athletic, but a brute of a blocker. They just don’t make ‘em like this anymore.
I remember a talking head saying that he helps on the goal line, not as a big target receiver, but because he's an extra OT.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Give me a Jason Witten clone, the kind that can actually make up for the fact that our QB is as accurate as Ray Charles.
But both see better than you.
You have no insight (pun intended) about the team.
:lmao:

But the Witten clone, yeah, who wouldn't want that. I seen Washington has picked up some in mock drafts.