What Makes Anyone Think Dak is Worth More Than Cousins?

Redline360

Reaction score
Now don't get me wrong as Cousins is no world beater quarterback either but he never gets the respect he's due. Basically the same quarterback and imo better then Dak by a small margin simply due to the fact he has put up similar stats playing behind far less talent. Commanders team was a dumpster fire. Vikings OL for majority of his career was bottom tier(greatly improved this year) and bar a season some of the worst defense in the nfl. Dak simply has had far superior supporting talent every year. Which is not even debatable.
Cousins also willed that Vikings team into the playoffs last year something Dak could never do imo.

While I think Cousins is slightly better it doesn't matter as he's not the guy either at the end of the day.

Dak: regular season career
99 passer rating
67 cmp%
5.2 TD% , 1.9 INT%
7.6 Y/A, 7.8 AY/A, 11.4 Y/C

Playoffs:
91.8 passer rating
64.5 cmp%
5.1 TD%, 2.5 INT%
7.1 Y/A, 7.0 AY/A, 11 Y/C

Cousins: regular season career
98.2 passer rating
66.9 cmp%
5.2 TD% , 2.1 INT%
7.6 Y/A, 7.7 AY/A, 11.4 Y/C

Playoffs:
93.7 passer rating
66.5 cmp%
3.2 TD%, .6 INT%
6.8 Y/A, 7.1 AY/A, 10.2 Y/C

Looking at the numbers they are vastly similar in almost all aspects with Dak being slightly better. Playoffs Cousins has better "face value stats" even with his first playoff game coming in at the end of the game and doing nothing.

Dak is nowhere near that much more then Cousins.

Last edited:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
They are almost identical in terms of raw stats. Neither has inspired in the playoffs but I don't know that KC has been as incompetent in those games as Dak. Would have to review the tape on that.

No rational reason for their salaries to be much different. I do know that KC has gotten three organizations to pay him. I will have to see another organization pay Dak at the top of the pay scale to believe that he's as valued around the league as many suggest. Until then it's like Garrett being highly sought after.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
My mistake. Cousins has one Playoff win.

We can disagree on other assertions. My opinion is that Dak has underachieved in the biggest moments for his team. No question. But IMO saying Cousins and Dak are the same is inaccurate statistically.
Did you look at your head-to-head? I mean, they couldn’t be more similar statistically. C’mon Bob. What are you seeing?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
OP arguing apples and oranges.......this is how players' evaluations are professionally calculated. Using various metrics and comparisons, not that much difference from real estate appraisal (comparing selling/buying prices of several houses along with other elements ). Think about it, you are trying to sell a credible evaluation of a player by your words, who is a bum, lazy, greedy, and an embarrassment among many other things.

In other words, it is hard to take you seriously on this issue knowing how you feel about Dak personally.

Here's the agent and his previous articles for CBS
https://www.cbssports.com/writers/joel-corry/

Agent's Take: Dak Prescott, Jordan Love and other NFL quarterbacks who can sign a lucrative deal in 2024​

Last year was a banner one for the quarterback market. Four different quarterbacks raised the bar for NFL salaries in 2023. Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson and Justin Herbert each took turns atop the NFL salary hierarchy before Joe Burrow became the standard bearer in early September as the start of the regular season was approaching.

Burrow received a five-year, $275 million contract extension, averaging $55 million per year, from the Cincinnati Bengals. The deal is worth up to $281.25 million thanks to $1.25 million of annual incentives in the extension years (2025 through 2029). Burrow has $219.01 million of salary guarantees, of which $146.51 million was fully guaranteed at signing. It's the most for these contract metrics outside of the $230 million in Deshaun Watson's fully guaranteed five-year contract with the Cleveland Browns. Burrow got an extremely player-friendly structure from the Bengals in which the first three new contract years average $61,320,327 per year.

Several quarterbacks are in line for lucrative contracts in 2024 although there won't be the same musical chairs as the league's highest-paid player. The elephant in the room is Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott.

This is Prescott's contract year and he has leverage in negotiations for an extension despite a subpar performance when Dallas was upset by the Green Bay Packers in the wild-card playoff round as the NFC's No. 2 seed. His $59.455 million is the NFL's second highest 2024 salary cap number behind Watson's $63.977 million. Prescott has a no-trade clause in his contract. He also has a provision preventing Dallas from designating him as a franchise or transition player in 2025 should he play out his contract

Dak Prescott
DAL • QB • #4
CMP%69.5
YDS4516
TD36
INT9
YD/ATT7.65
View Profile
The Cowboys really aren't in a position to handle Prescott's $59.455 million cap hit. There are currently $266.92 million in 2024 cap commitments, according to NFLPA data using offseason salary cap accounting rules where only the top 51 salaries (i.e.; cap numbers) matter. A little more than $4.902 million of unused 2023 cap space is being carried over to the 2024 league year. Preliminary projections put the 2024 salary cap between $240 million and $245 million. Dallas is projected to have a $19.5 million overage if the 2024 salary cap is set at $242.5 million.

The 2023 NFL MVP runner-up is scheduled to make $34 million in 2024 consisting of an unsecured $29 million base salary and a $5 million fifth day of the league year roster bonus due on March 17. A contract extension before the roster bonus vests is Dallas' most viable option to significantly lower Prescott's 2024 cap number.

Presumably, Prescott didn't fight for the no-trade clause and franchise/transition tag prohibition not to use the provisions to his advantage in negotiations. If Prescott empowers his representatives to do as they see fit, the end result will likely be Prescott becoming the league's highest-paid player while establishing new benchmarks for the most important contract metrics besides Watson's $230 million fully guaranteed, even though last season ended prematurely on an extremely sour note.

It wouldn't be surprising for Prescott's camp to use Burrow's average over his first three new years to justify $60 million per year. Overall, the top of the quarterback market increased in 2023 by 9.41% from 2022. A $60 million-per-year extension would be a 9.09% increase over Burrow's deal

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He made a sound argument about production and salary, care to comment on that? You think with the nearly equal production Dak is worth 15 million more a year?
Dak hasn't signed a 60 million a year deal. He owed that because the FO kept restructuring. So, no, I won't answer a stupid question.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I used the word “interchangeable” in terms of QB tier and results. Agree, they are different players.

Respectfully disagree with your stance on using one year as the basis for your perspective (at least per this response).

Bottom line is, if Cousins is your QB and if you were to kick him to the curb in order to bring in Dak, along with a 25% increase in starting QB salary, would you feel like that was a win for the organization? If so,…ok.
That’s what we do thigh. We judge you based on what we last saw. Remember when Dak led the league in interceptions? That’s what they used to determine how good or bad he was. Now that he’s an all pro it’s let’s use previous years.

I’m not a hater of Kirk I think he’s better than given credit. I don’t see any difference between him and Romo.

phildadon86

Reaction score
And Dak doesn’t?

Any good team we play not named the Eagles he’s trash against. He looks like the weakest link on the field.
Cousins and Dak both beat up on bad teams.

However. Dak doesnt disappear when the clock strikes 4PM against any opponent. lol.

Personally i wouldnt want either. I want a guy with chamionship pedigree who doesnt fold when the pressure is on.

Problem is. We are tied to this loser for the next year at a minimum and I have a bad feeling Jerry signs him after all the good FA's are picked up and makes it seem like a great FA signing.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He made a sound argument about production and salary, care to comment on that? You think with the nearly equal production Dak is worth 15 million more a year?
It's not a sound argument.......see post #88

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why cant you answer the question?

Forget the contract.

Is Dak 25% better than Cousins?
No, he's not....no QB other than Mahomes is. I've never said Dak was a savior, I just don't like you constantly beating a dead horse. Miserable is no way to live. Trying to make others miserable is even worse.

Adreme

Reaction score
Cousins has never fallen off? Lolol
I mean he is not arguing in good faith. His idea was to compare Cousins best season to Dak's average season so even assuming he keeps up the pace. This would be like comparing it to Dak's 2020 where he was "on pace" for 6000 yards and saying 6k yards is now the baseline number all QBs must compete against. It is just laughably dumb. At the end of the day Dak has more value because he is 5 years younger, not coming off a major injury, and has had a better overall career. There is a reason, even last year, the pro scouts and GMs and coaches had Dak as a top 10 QB and not Cousins.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is your problem, right here.

Everyone is smart enough to know that Dak isn't the only problem. Many think he is A problem though. Looking at the big picture, it is fair to say Dak is the second biggest problem, and there is nothing that can be done to fix the biggest problem, so it only makes sense to focus on the second, then third etc biggest problems.

For some reason you just cannot stand for anyone to exercise their ability to form a reasonable opinion and state it here on a forum specifically designed to do just that. You don't seem to realize that your choice to pour gas on the fire with defensive responses that have nothing to with the team itself, often making it personal, only invites a response. You then piss and moan about "haters" and the beat goes on, and on and on.

You going to be a leader here? Or are you going to continue to consistently make it about yourself?
I don't have a problem other than my dislike of haters. If it was reasonable, I would have no issue with a discussion. Your problem is you can't keep from butting in and coming to the rescue of your crew.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
No, he's not....no QB other than Mahomes is. I've never said Dak was a savior, I just don't like you constantly beating a dead horse. Miserable is no way to live. Trying to make others miserable is even worse.
If my posts make you miserable then why in the world can’t you just ignore me?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is your answer? Valdez-Scantling?

Making 10 million a year?

That's good for the 28th highest paid receiver and less than Cooks and Gallup last year.

You should’ve just said you were wrong, bro.
You’d pay 10 million a year for MVS?

Jason Piere Paul for the Buccs

Make an excuse for him too:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It's not really a dead horse when the player in question is potentially getting a contract extension & people are discussing it. Sorta the point of the forum.

If you believe he should get an extension & you think he deserves X fine. But stop berating the OP & others for posting facts & their version of logical thinking. If you can't refute it, move on.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If my posts make you miserable then why in the world can’t you just ignore me?
That would be like ignoring the bird poop in the middle of my windshield.
That and the fact that if I ignore you, you can still see my posts and attack me without me knowing. Keeping my enemies close.....

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not really a dead horse when the player in question is potentially getting a contract extension & people are discussing it. Sorta the point of the forum.

If you believe he should get an extension & you think he deserves X fine. But stop berating the OP & others for posting facts & their version of logical thinking. If you can't refute it, move on.
It's a dead horse when every single one of his threads is about the same topic. How many times do we have to hear this crap. What happened to the Dak hate thread?