What makes me chuckle about the QB situation

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Alot of fans are saying what dak will do and that dak deserves to be paid etc. Truth is we dont even know if the guy will even be the same and we are up here talking like he just completed a whole season uninjured.

I feel alot of fans are in denial about Dak and talking about his situation as if nothing has happened is just not normal.

Saying what dak deserves before injury is normal. Saying that dak deserves the same after a horrific injury is just insane, not knowing if this guy will even be able to play the same, consistently on two feet.

Imo dak is not worth what he was healthy and I think it is fair for dak to know that not only are the cowboys taking a risk, but they deserve a discounted wait & see approach with this situation.

And if dak is stubborn and disregarding his injury situation, then he can go elsewhere and allow another team to risk wasting time and money on a hope.

All of the "dak price just went up" is crazy talk. Imo there is nothing wrong with not risking dak this off season. And even if dak does pan out, cmon, we know that dak has hit his ceiling, so what are we really paying for? Not much.

You admitted that you don't think if healthy that Prescott should get a market value contract. Next you are doing the same thing as people that don't want Prescott to get paid that you said about the people that want Prescott to get paid. All of you that don't want Prescott to get signed continually question if Prescott will be the same or when he'll be ready, but completely ignore what the doctors and trainers who are treating Prescott are and have been saying. They have said that Prescott will be good to go next season and that right now he's actually a head of schedule on his rehab.

The reason the QB situation makes you chuckle is because you don't take everything into consideration. You only consider what fits into your don't sign way of thinking.

Reactions: CWR

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually agree, even though I want Dak resigned. As crappy as it is for Dak, the injury has to factor into the contract negotiations.

I don't agree that he's reached his ceiling however. That absurd to think when he was on his way to his best season ever, and he's still in his mid 20s

He had some great games trying to bail Dallas out of some deep holes b/c his offense rarely game out in the first quarter and did much. We were 1-3 when Dak was healthy and 8-8 the previous year. So, paying Dak more money might be a road to nowhere.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Look, when it comes to what Dak should be paid or what he shouldn't...its irrelevant. ITs about what the Cowboys are willing to pay him. And he's going to get paid. I get the logic behind what you're saying. He's coming off a injury....he should play on a friendly deal...in a perfect world he gives us a home discount.

But let's real discuss the topic at hand here.......

This deal should've been done long ago. Dak should've been re-signed before Wentz and Goff. They didn't do it so now they pay for it. In the NFL or sports for the matter you don't get rewarded for incompetence. You rarely do. So the Cowboys screwed up on not signing him earlier? They have to pay that price now or let him walk. ITs that simple. There's no easier way to do this or no cheaper.

You're another one that thinks because the Cowboys didn't get Prescott signed sooner that they made a mistake. The facts are the Cowboys could not attempt to resign Prescott until after his third season was completed. After the 2018 season, Prescott's third season, the Cowboys made an offer to Prescott. Prescott rejected the offer and then informed the Cowboys that he was going to bet on himself and concentrate on football and not negotiate until after the 2019 season. Now the Cowboys could make him negotiate so all this talk about the Cowboys made a mistake by not signing him earlier is just BS. They tried.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Talk about over exaggerating. I said the fans are not sure how daks long term health will fair after the injury, and it is kind of silly to be talking about Daks contract situation as if nothing has happened to him.

Imo there is a little denial there when it comes to some fans about dak, and I believe it has to do with the cowboys not having much since aikman and emmitt. Remember the drout before Romo and Murray (or the little time they played together)? You did not like that drout. Now you have Dak and Zeke.

They treat Zeke the same way. They would rather these guys get signed ignoring the flaws and decline because they just dont want to lose that big name at the position.

DAK & ZEKE, DAK & ZEKE, DAK & ZEKE.

I believe some of you are afraid we will lose the big names and never find success at the positions again. You are the kind of fan that get paranoid about things like this.

Even in flaws, health, and decline, you want them signed because you are just scared of the positions being irrelevant for the next 5-10 years. You dont want to go back in between that time of aikman and Romo. I get it.

Dak and Zeke could both become paralyzed tomorrow........SIGN'EM AT ALL CAUSE NECESSARY.
there you go again. I am not paranoid....I think in certain positions we have found our pieces and when you do, you keep them. I think Dak is one of the pieces. I never liked the idea of drafting Zeke, specially at the 4th spot. you don't draft RBs in the top 20. the NFL is littered with RBs coming in all kinds of rounds. its the easiest position to evaluate and adjust to NFL with quick returns. you don't need to pay RBs a second large contract, you just go draft another one. drafting zeke was stupid. paying him was stupider. paying him 2 years left on his contract was stupidest.

I am not advocating building the aikman, emmitt era. those eras have past....its different NFL and you build differently. there is the cap and rules have changed.....

let me ask you....since you brought it up. do you want to go back to the time between aikman and romo?
I don't think that we should get into this perpetual cycle of rebuilding, because we are afraid to sign a player as seemingly you are. you are so afraid of making a contractual mistake you seem to be paralyzed and thus, you resort back to lets tear it down and lets try to rebuild again. why?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No reason for anyone to get mad at another user here on things we can't control. This isn't directed at just you.

Stupidity should be called out and laughed at. Trolls should be held accountable for the dumb things they say. And never allowed to forget their shame.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You're another one that thinks because the Cowboys didn't get Prescott signed sooner that they made a mistake. The facts are the Cowboys could not attempt to resign Prescott until after his third season was completed. After the 2018 season, Prescott's third season, the Cowboys made an offer to Prescott. Prescott rejected the offer and then informed the Cowboys that he was going to bet on himself and concentrate on football and not negotiate until after the 2019 season. Now the Cowboys could make him negotiate so all this talk about the Cowboys made a mistake by not signing him earlier is just BS. They tried.
They didn’t try hard enough then.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Alot of fans are saying what dak will do and that dak deserves to be paid etc. Truth is we dont even know if the guy will even be the same and we are up here talking like he just completed a whole season uninjured.

I feel alot of fans are in denial about Dak and talking about his situation as if nothing has happened is just not normal.

Saying what dak deserves before injury is normal. Saying that dak deserves the same after a horrific injury is just insane, not knowing if this guy will even be able to play the same, consistently on two feet.

Imo dak is not worth what he was healthy and I think it is fair for dak to know that not only are the cowboys taking a risk, but they deserve a discounted wait & see approach with this situation.

And if dak is stubborn and disregarding his injury situation, then he can go elsewhere and allow another team to risk wasting time and money on a hope.

All of the "dak price just went up" is crazy talk. Imo there is nothing wrong with not risking dak this off season. And even if dak does pan out, cmon, we know that dak has hit his ceiling, so what are we really paying for? Not much.
LOL.

All of this is just dumb.

Dak owes the Dallas Cowboys ZERO. He delivered welllllll beyond any hopes or dreams as an R4 draft pick who then played on that rookie special teamer type contract for 4 years.
Dallas took the long road and tagged him.
Again Dak owes Dallas NOTHING.

Now once we get past that utter nonsense we can deal in reality.
Dallas failure to extend Dak long before now has cost them a great deal of money.

July 2019: The Cowboys presented Prescott with a proposal that averaged $30 million and a guarantee of $90 million entering training camp, putting him among the top five players at the position at that time.

September 2019: In an effort to strike a deal before the regular season began, the club upped that offer to an average of $33 million with a guarantee of close to $105 million.

February or March 2020: The team offered a deal that bumped the average above $34 million with a guarantee of above that of Philadelphia’s Carson Wentz.

April 2020: The latest offer averaged roughly $34.5 million with a guarantee slightly above $110 million for five years.

June 22, 2020: Prescott signed the exclusive franchise tag, which carried a $31.409 salary for the 2020 season. It also contractually obligated him to report for training camp.

July 15, 2020: The 3 p.m. deadline to negotiate a long-term deal passed, and Prescott became only the third quarterback to play under the franchise tag.

In the 2019 season, Prescott threw for a career-high 4,902 yards and 30 touchdowns. He was on pace to surpass that in 2020 with 1,856 passing yards through five games, but his season ended prematurely because of a gruesome injury.

Should the Cowboys fail to reach a deal with Prescott, they will again use the tag, which would net Prescott $37.69 million next year.

“They need to get him signed! They should’ve given in to the four-year deal last year. Would’ve saved them some money. They wanted five years,” Jimmy Johnson said during an appearance on The Rich Eisen Show. “They should’ve signed him three years ago. They should’ve signed him two years ago. They should’ve signed him last offseason. Every time they did not sign him the price just kept going up.”
“He’s not Patrick Mahomes, but he is an outstanding quarterback. And on top of that he is a great leader,” JIMMY Johnson said. “Until you find somebody better you don’t ever give up a quarterback.”

Reactions: CWR

Verdict

Reaction score
Look, when it comes to what Dak should be paid or what he shouldn't...its irrelevant. ITs about what the Cowboys are willing to pay him. And he's going to get paid. I get the logic behind what you're saying. He's coming off a injury....he should play on a friendly deal...in a perfect world he gives us a home discount.

But let's real discuss the topic at hand here.......

This deal should've been done long ago. Dak should've been re-signed before Wentz and Goff. They didn't do it so now they pay for it. In the NFL or sports for the matter you don't get rewarded for incompetence. You rarely do. So the Cowboys screwed up on not signing him earlier? They have to pay that price now or let him walk. ITs that simple. There's no easier way to do this or no cheaper.

The Goff deal, in theory drive what the Cowboys are willing to pay DOWN not up, in the same way that the Gurley contract, and to a lesser extent the Zeke contract will probably do to the running back market.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
They didn’t try hard enough then.

What you wanted Stephen to say please please please sign that offer? Unlike fans who think they're GM's and/or capologists, they offered what they felt was fair and what they felt they could with the cap space they had and all of the OTHER contracts they felt they wanted to ALSO sign. Because of that this is a perfect example on why fans should stop trying to play GM/capologists.

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
You are free to have your opinion..it's wrong, but it's still yours

Just because you say the opinion is wrong does not make it so. You are free to have your opinion too but that does not mean you are right. Dak is coming off a serious injury so the OP is making a valid point from the injury standpoint. I disagree with the OP in that I think Dak can continue to get better. It is clear at this point that the Jones understand analytics and have used it to reach the conclusion that tying up a large percentage of the salary cap to one player prevents them from building a championship level roster. So they will be offering a fair contract. If Dak continues to push for a shorter term contract for more money then he will no longer be playing for the Cowboys.

JBS

Reaction score
Just because you say the opinion is wrong does not make it so. You are free to have your opinion too but that does not mean you are right. Dak is coming off a serious injury so the OP is making a valid point from the injury standpoint. I disagree with the OP in that I think Dak can continue to get better. It is clear at this point that the Jones understand analytics and have used it to reach the conclusion that tying up a large percentage of the salary cap to one player prevents them from building a championship level roster. So they will be offering a fair contract. If Dak continues to push for a shorter term contract for more money then he will no longer be playing for the Cowboys.

Your opinion is wrong too.

Literally every single medical expert that has weighed in on the situation has said that there will be zero residual affect from Daks injury. Whether you want to come to grips w that and accept it is different story.

The Jones' haven't given in to Daks demands yet. There is no more time to beat around the bush. They are either going to pay Dak or he is going to walk after this season. Jerry and Stephen know how valuable dak is to this teams success, they will increase their offer and a deal will get done. But that is just my opinion.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
LOL.

All of this is just dumb.

Dak owes the Dallas Cowboys ZERO. He delivered welllllll beyond any hopes or dreams as an R4 draft pick who then played on that rookie special teamer type contract for 4 years.
Dallas took the long road and tagged him.
Again Dak owes Dallas NOTHING.

Now once we get past that utter nonsense we can deal in reality.
Dallas failure to extend Dak long before now has cost them a great deal of money.

July 2019: The Cowboys presented Prescott with a proposal that averaged $30 million and a guarantee of $90 million entering training camp, putting him among the top five players at the position at that time.

September 2019: In an effort to strike a deal before the regular season began, the club upped that offer to an average of $33 million with a guarantee of close to $105 million.

February or March 2020: The team offered a deal that bumped the average above $34 million with a guarantee of above that of Philadelphia’s Carson Wentz.

April 2020: The latest offer averaged roughly $34.5 million with a guarantee slightly above $110 million for five years.

June 22, 2020: Prescott signed the exclusive franchise tag, which carried a $31.409 salary for the 2020 season. It also contractually obligated him to report for training camp.

July 15, 2020: The 3 p.m. deadline to negotiate a long-term deal passed, and Prescott became only the third quarterback to play under the franchise tag.

In the 2019 season, Prescott threw for a career-high 4,902 yards and 30 touchdowns. He was on pace to surpass that in 2020 with 1,856 passing yards through five games, but his season ended prematurely because of a gruesome injury.

Should the Cowboys fail to reach a deal with Prescott, they will again use the tag, which would net Prescott $37.69 million next year.

“They need to get him signed! They should’ve given in to the four-year deal last year. Would’ve saved them some money. They wanted five years,” Jimmy Johnson said during an appearance on The Rich Eisen Show. “They should’ve signed him three years ago. They should’ve signed him two years ago. They should’ve signed him last offseason. Every time they did not sign him the price just kept going up.”
“He’s not Patrick Mahomes, but he is an outstanding quarterback. And on top of that he is a great leader,” JIMMY Johnson said. “Until you find somebody better you don’t ever give up a quarterback.”

No dumber then this post JT. Dak doesn't owe the Cowboys anything and the Cowboys certainly don't owe Dak anything. He has a deal in front of him. Take or don't. I don't care but stop crying about not getting paid like Mahomes. Take the deal or instruct your agent to find you another one and give the Cowboys 2 first round picks and move on. Cowboys don't need to get him signed to a bad deal. That's just a matter of opinion and we all have them. No reason to call this posters post dumb IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Literally every single medical expert that has weighed in on the situation has said that there will be zero residual affect from Daks injury. Whether you want to come to grips w that and accept it is different story.

The Jones' haven't given in to Daks demands yet. There is no more time to beat around the bush. They are either going to pay Dak or he is going to walk after this season. Jerry and Stephen know how valuable dak is to this teams success, they will increase their offer and a deal will get done. But that is just my opinion.

Can we have a minimum of 5 of the "every single expert" who has weighed in on Dak's injury?

You guys need to lay off.

JBS

Reaction score
Can we have a minimum of 5 of the "every single expert" who has weighed in on Dak's injury?

You guys need to lay off.

Sure. Ignore the experts. Why not. Makes sense. Because athletes that have had similar injuries never return the same. Good point

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Sure. Ignore the experts. Why not. Makes sense. Because athletes that have had similar injuries never return the same. Good point

I don't think anybody ever told you to "ignore the experts". I think two things were being told to you here.

1. Can you provide the opinions of 5 "experts" that you have referred to in your post.

2. Like the rest of us, you are no expert either.

I believe those were the two things that were being communicated to you.

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score

You are making the same mistake the last guy made. You think you know enough that you alone can determine if someone is right or wrong. You obviously did not understand my last post. I did not say that I am right or that he was wrong. My main point is that we all have opinions. We may think we that our opinion is right but the truth is that no one knows for certain how Dak will perform after the injury. Some athletes do well after a serious injury and some athletes struggle.

However, for you to say that all these "medical experts" have concluded that there will be zero residual EFFECT just shows how ignorant you are when it comes to serious injuries and doctors. According to you, just because a doctor says something then it's a fact. What about all those "medical experts" that said that COVID was less harmful than the flu! You are hilarious!!!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What you wanted Stephen to say please please please sign that offer? Unlike fans who think they're GM's and/or capologists, they offered what they felt was fair and what they felt they could with the cap space they had and all of the OTHER contracts they felt they wanted to ALSO sign. Because of that this is a perfect example on why fans should stop trying to play GM/capologists.
Yeah I really don’t care whether or not they signed Jaylon or Zeke. So saying they had to re-sign those guys first? Nah. Sorry. You be apologize for them all you want this front office has been screwing up.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yeah I really don’t care whether or not they signed Jaylon or Zeke. So saying they had to re-sign those guys first? Nah. Sorry. You be apologize for them all you want this front office has been screwing up.

Hey I wasn't happy with either resignings. Elliott had another year plus the 5th year option and the Cowboys shouldn't caved on him. Smith should not have gotten as much as he did. But that doesn't change the fact that the Cowboys made a reasonable offer to Prescott after his 3rd season that he rejected and there was no way the Cowboys could force him to take it.

zerofill

Reaction score
If Dak was the magic missing piece, it would be great. But he isn't that... This team needs so much work, I'm not getting excited this time around, or
even believing they have a chance for a Super Bowl for the next 10 years. Kinda done with being stupid, and believing what this team says about their
coaches and players during the off season.

This team needs to get rid of any back breaking contracts and focus on getting 11 players on each side of the ball, that are good. They don't have to be great, elite, etc...
Just get us good players, that will make the team great by the sum of its parts.