What next for the Mavericks?

Reaction score
jterrell;4619612 said:
The Nash trade was terrible!!!!
You gave up all those picks for a PG that can't guard anyone. literally!

Dallas offered Nash a 2 year deal at low money. Raptors offered big money but to be a sales commodity not to win games. LAL offered 9 mil a year for 3 years and gave up the farm in trade.

You have a very old roster that has progressively gotten worse defensively.

WTH guards Westbrook, Harden and Durant?

The LAL are a 3 seed again if all falls right but they could easily be a round 1 playoff loser. They are not elite.

And in a couple years when that team is truly done they will have no youth from the draft to reload with.

You do realize we're not a lottery team right? Those picks won't be anything more than role players. Steve Nash may be old, but he's still as any point guard in the NBA. The Lakers could've easily beaten Oklahoma City. They simply gave two games away. That was without Nash. With Nash they're easily an elite team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4619620 said:
You do realize we're not a lottery team right? Those picks won't be anything more than role players. Steve Nash may be old, but he's still as any point guard in the NBA. The Lakers could've easily beaten Oklahoma City. They simply gave two games away. That was without Nash. With Nash they're easily an elite team.

no offense man but you are entirely clueless about basketball. on every level.
basically every player you discuss you do so in error.

the value of the picks was for future moves be they to add players or to trade as part of other deals. instead you gave them away for a guy who was a total free agent. you basically tip a team for that type sign and trade not hand them every pick you need to get dwight howard. dumb trade.

steve nash is on a final hurrah contract. he is not leading anyone anywhere. he will be entertaining and he can nail outside shots, but his defense is terrible. the guy is 38 and playing a position of quickness. he was down to 12 points a game last season. he gives up well more than that.

the lakers need bynum to explode and be consistent if they are to beat people when it matters. no one really expects that on a team with nash and kobe.

for depth they are seriously talking jamison.... that guy is the worst defender in basketball. he makes antoine walker look like scottie pippen.

collecting names is not how you win games. somebody must have left jeannie in charge....

Reaction score
Who ever said Steve Nash is leading us anywhere? Kobe Bryant is our leader. He's our best player and leader and that's not changing until he retires. How am I clueless? Because I think Nash is a great trade for us? It was only a blind hater like yourself who is bitter his team didn't get Nash would say otherwise. I guarantee you if Dallas got Nash you'd be singing a different tune. I never denied Nash isn't a good defender. He's not, but he's no worse than any of our other point guards were. He's much, much better on offense. His efficiency last year was off the charts. Nash shot well over 50 percent and had a TS% over 60. That's unreal efficiency especially for a guard. Despite playing with a mediocre supporting cast Nash was still second in the league in assists at just under 11 a game. Again that's unreal from a 38 year old. Once again those draft picks we gave up will be end of the first round picks. We essentially got a superstar PG for future role players. How the hell is that not a great trade?

The Lakers aren't done either. Grant Hill who is still a very solid role player is on the verge of signing the Lakers. They're also taking to Antawn Jamison. While he's not a good defender he's still a near 20 ppg scorer. The Lakers bench was awful last season. Dead last I believe in points scored. Adding Jamison and Hill would improve the bench immensly. If we can sign those two players, resign Jordan Hill, and get a decent backup point guard like Delonte West or Nate Robinson we'll be good to go. As for Dwight Howard we're not out of the running. According to Steve Kyler no trade is imminent/close and both Houston and L.A. are in the Dwight Howard hunt. Honestly I don't really care if we get him. If we get him great if not we still have Andrew Bynum who is the second best center in the game who has incredible potential.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4619643 said:
Who ever said Steve Nash is leading us anywhere? Kobe Bryant is our leader. He's our best player and leader and that's not changing until he retires. How am I clueless? Because I think Nash is a great trade for us? It was only a blind hater like yourself who is bitter his team didn't get Nash would say otherwise. I guarantee you if Dallas got Nash you'd be singing a different tune. I never denied Nash isn't a good defender. He's not, but he's no worse than any of our other point guards were. He's much, much better on offense. His efficiency last year was off the charts. Nash shot well over 50 percent and had a TS% over 60. That's unreal efficiency especially for a guard. Despite playing with a mediocre supporting cast Nash was still second in the league in assists at just under 11 a game. Again that's unreal from a 38 year old. Once again those draft picks we gave up will be end of the first round picks. We essentially got a superstar PG for future role players. How the hell is that not a great trade?

The Lakers aren't done either. Grant Hill who is still a very solid role player is on the verge of signing the Lakers. They're also taking to Antawn Jamison. While he's not a good defender he's still a near 20 ppg scorer. The Lakers bench was awful last season. Dead last I believe in points scored. Adding Jamison and Hill would improve the bench immensly. If we can sign those two players, resign Jordan Hill, and get a decent backup point guard like Delonte West or Nate Robinson we'll be good to go. As for Dwight Howard we're not out of the running. According to Steve Kyler no trade is imminent/close and both Houston and L.A. are in the Dwight Howard hunt. Honestly I don't really care if we get him. If we get him great if not we still have Andrew Bynum who is the second best center in the game who has incredible potential.

various on why clueless

1. nash was playing on a bad team and playing poorly. when teams are down 15 they play back ups and the other team can score easily. dallas was fairly terrible last year but i saw PHX come in and just felt sorry for that team. they had a big bag of nothing.

2. i am not bitter. i was pissed for about 3 days. that has long sense passed. now i am excited. dallas has rebounded marvelously. they'll be every bit as good as the lakers and yet much better positioned going forward.

3, nash to la is very entertaining and fun. i will watch. but that isnt really winning basketball. especially not in the playoffs. nash has had systems tailored to him. the lakers have virtually none of the athletes to run with nash on breaks.

4. it was still not a good trade. the picks are why you are NOT in dh trade at all. any talk you8 are is just posturing to get hou to keep sweetening the pot. you are not in it because the magic do not want any of your crap. they like bynum but arent doing a 1 for 1 swap and you have no picks or young talent. you also have to trade exceptions now. you used all your assets in the nash deal for a 38 year old pg.

5. sessions wasnt a bad player for you. he is certainly a legit PG option. you just traded off all those picks, used the large TE and gave sessions a free pass outta town. that's the definition of bad.

6. jamison and hill are more olds, hill is retired. jamison was here in dallas. awesome guy but horrible defender. he is a great offensive rebounder and junk scorer.... which is fine LAL doesnt need that at all. they need some youth and some better defenders. jamison has bounced around on mostly terrible teams. he simply wont defend at all. he was 33rd last year at PF in Hollinger's PER. that's the offensive efficiency/effectiveness stat. Grant Hill was 35th at SF....

7. nate robinson would be a good add. i'll give you that one. one point in all this mess.

8. the nash trade used all your trade chips other than bynum. that's all you have left. that's the only decent player under 30 on the roster, you have zero cap room, zero trade fodder at all. teams want to be tipped for taking artest or gasol. you probably amnesty one of the two next year. (unless you get frustrated and instead amnesty nash)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
wow... mavs apparently do a s&t with jason terry to celts.

get back a pick, dooling, pietrus!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
jterrell;4619895 said:
wow... mavs apparently do a s&t with jason terry to celts.

get back a pick, dooling, pietrus!

David Lord ‏@DLord_DBdotcom

Apologies! Hold off a sec on that news of a Jason Terry SNT - source may have been unreliable-bogus ...BOS still hazy on his signing

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
mike fisher ‏@fishsports

#Mavs Source tells DBcom No s-n-t for #Celtics-bound Jet; Dallas has renounced rights

Temo

Reaction score
jterrell;4616081 said:
Actually I follow Amy(dmwmama) and Deron on twitter. A lot of that stuff wasn't from them. I knew plenty of stuff about Deron that has never leaked. He is very quiet and private. His little brother and his basketball protege played for our High School the past 5 years. He came home to TC every year(but that wasn't reported and there was very little stated about his AAU team that his brother and austin both played for btw). The Kidd stuff came in the the days before his decision and was mere playing with the media. Deron actually was pissed about the leaks in NJ. Go read his timeline.

NJ has been leaking like a sieve. I didn't come up that notion. One of the NBA writers I follow did and the Mavs themselves made fun of it.

The Hawks aren't leaking anything. That's why there is so little noise about Howard going home. The Nets have us all thinking this Howard deal is done basically except it keeps dragging on. We know every new team that gets called in and exactly what each new team thinks.... And it all has an obvious NJ slant to it.

Yea, so as the Lakers and Rockets discussions continue "leaking like a sieve", are you willing to admit yet that the Magic are playing the media hardcore with constant leaks?

juck

Reaction score
I know one thing. Cuban and Donnie are definitely very good at their jobs. Im in shock at the great moves they have made and continue to make and save room for next year big time.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If there is one thing we should know after all these years is that the Mavs will have Plans A -Z and will everything in their power to succeed long term . That does not mean they won't fail at times. But we know they will keep trying and have passion for the franchise and fans.

DFWJC

Reaction score
juck;4620876 said:
I know one thing. Cuban and Donnie are definitely very good at their jobs. Im in shock at the great moves they have made and continue to make and save room for next year big time.
No doubt...but then again I thought it sad, comical, and embarrassing when so many Mavs fans piled on them when plan A didn't work out.....as if they can force DWil to choose Dallas.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Temo;4620863 said:
Yea, so as the Lakers and Rockets discussions continue "leaking like a sieve", are you willing to admit yet that the Magic are playing the media hardcore with constant leaks?

No, I am not.
You are way behind on this topic and it'd take forever to catch you up but short version is people were trolled in most recent leaks... it wasnt ORL leaking anything.

In fact people can't seem to even agree what the Magic want for DH. If it was them leaking things we'd hear their desires at least.

Nets front office was the big mouths period. This was noted by NBA insiders. They did what they did intentionally. It was all part of the Get Deron smokescreen. We'll see how happy Deron is in 2 years with that team around him and no cap space to get better.

Billy King is friends with a couple NBA beat writers who were "breaking news" regularly a month ago but have been all of a sudden largely silent.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
DFWJC;4620884 said:
No doubt...but then again I thought it sad, comical, and embarrassing when so many Mavs fans piled on them when plan A didn't work out.....as if they can force DWil to choose Dallas.

people had a kneejerk over the top reaction which is to be expected.

cuban and donnie tried to sale deron on plan powder and that was a bad sales pitch period. legit fan complaint. you have to know your audience. no player or employee wants to hear about being cheaper than the other guy because its better in the long run.

all that said, the mavs were clearly smart in having their plan b,c,d, et al handy and ready to roll.

this roster has room for 2 more guys and preferably 1 more legit starter. they have the trade ammo to get that and can still add West as the 6th/7th man.

DFWJC

Reaction score
jterrell;4620891 said:
people had a kneejerk over the top reaction which is to be expected.

cuban and donnie tried to sale deron on plan powder and that was a bad sales pitch period. legit fan complaint. you have to know your audience. no player or employee wants to hear about being cheaper than the other guy because its better in the long run.

all that said, the mavs were clearly smart in having their plan b,c,d, et al handy and ready to roll.

this roster has room for 2 more guys and preferably 1 more legit starter. they have the trade ammo to get that and can still add West as the 6th/7th man.
Now look at the two teams and tell me hitch one would contend better THIs year with deron Williams on their team.
DWill made a mistake, IMO.

juck

Reaction score
DFWJC;4620892 said:
Now look at the two teams and tell me hitch one would contend better THIs year with deron Williams on their team.
DWill made a mistake, IMO.
I bet he is surprised.lol. Thing is the kid wanted the glitz and glamour. O well.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
The Nets will never win a championship with Joe Johnson and that contract on their team.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
RastaRocket;4620907 said:
The Nets will never win a championship with Joe Johnson and that contract on their team.

That doesn't make any sense. The contract doesn't affect their chances to win. Joe Johnson is a good player, better than average at his position. The owner is clearly willing to spend over the cap limit. As long as they get good enough center play, they're certainly contenders.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
baj1dallas;4620912 said:
That doesn't make any sense. The contract doesn't affect their chances to win. Joe Johnson is a good player, better than average at his position. The owner is clearly willing to spend over the cap limit. As long as they get good enough center play, they're certainly contenders.

It certainly does affect their chances. He can spend all he wants; but bird rights will limit that. There are CBA rules. Joe Johnsons contract leaves them with minimal flexibility. They will never win with him on that team.

You have Joe Johnson, Deron Williams, and Brook Lopez all playing on max contracts. No flexibility whatsoever. The only one of those players any other team would even consider trading for is Deron Williams. Nobody wants Joe's contract, or Lopez's contract. There is a reason Atlanta can make so many moves this year compared to previous years. Getting rid of Joe Johnson was key.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
RastaRocket;4620927 said:
It certainly does affect their chances. He can spend all he wants; but bird rights will limit that. There are CBA rules. Joe Johnsons contract leaves them with minimal flexibility. They will never win with him on that team.

You have Joe Johnson, Deron Williams, and Brook Lopez all playing on max contracts. No flexibility whatsoever. The only one of those players any other team would even consider trading for is Deron Williams. Nobody wants Joe's contract, or Lopez's contract. There is a reason Atlanta can make so many moves this year compared to previous years. Getting rid of Joe Johnson was key.

They don't need flexibility. They're a contender right now.