What One Player Could Put Us Over The Hump?

visionary

Reaction score
TheFinisher;3844058 said:
Patrick Peterson would be a big step.

no he wouldnt

have newman and jenkins taught us nothing?

corners are only as good as the front 7

the team will only go as far as OL, front 7 on defense and the QB take it

we need meat and potatoes on this team not more flash

Trendnet

Reaction score
Funxva;3843983 said:
How did this turn into a Bash Romo Thread? Tired of it all really, and I'm sure there will be time to bash him to your hearts content come pre and the regular season.

Leave it to KJJ to turn every thread into how much Romo sucks in 'big games'.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
visionary;3844067 said:
no he wouldnt

This is probably most likely true.

You can't have garbage CBs, but IMO, good CBs simply cannot elevate a defense in the way a great passrusher can. A good DL can cover the sins of an average secondary far more frequently than a good secondary can cover for a mediocre front.

I wouldn't be against Peterson at all if he fell to 9, but a guy like him isn't going to dramatically lift this defense. I think if we see a huge improvement in the defense, it'll come from Ryan and Jay Ratliff returning to his form of 2 years ago.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If I had to pick 1 player who could put us over the hump I would have to say Spencer. Ware and Rat can bring good pressure but we need Spencer to step up. Looking back at 09 season when Dallas got on the hot streak a large part of that was the emergence of Spencer. Hopefully Ryan can get Spencer playing to a high level this coming season.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Hos and others think Peterson can be a top safety; but he has not played the position, so how can you be sure enough to take him that high or even trade up for him? I have watched as much as I could of his games, and I do not see a top CB.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Funxva;3843983 said:
How did this turn into a Bash Romo Thread? Tired of it all really, and I'm sure there will be time to bash him to your hearts content come pre and the regular season.
Just get a good laugh out of KJJ and move on, not worth it.

Wimbo

Reaction score
Apollo Creed;3843582 said:
If you could get any player, from any team in the league, or in the upcoming draft - that would immediately put our team in a posititon to win a Super Bowl, who would it be?

b11484.jpg

Reaction score
visionary;3844067 said:
no he wouldnt

In fairness, Jenkins also taught us that if you make the Pro Bowl, then quit working as hard and believe your own press clippings, you can get torched for many, many big plays the following year.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
We've done this thread before in different forms, but it's getting into that point in the offseason where the reality of football being over starts to set in - so I figured it'd be worth a shot.

If you could get any player, from any team in the league, or in the upcoming draft - that would immediately put our team in a posititon to win a Super Bowl, who would it be?

Mine would be Patrick Willis.

I feel like we've lacked a serious threat in the interior of our defense that forces offenses to adjust their gameplan. Outside of Ware and Ratliff we have no guys in the front seven that teams have to gameplan around. Offenses can just dictate the flow of the game and open up their playbook by having options in all levels of the defense.

Willis is so athletic and talented that he would force teams to run right into the teeth of our defense (which is what all 3-4's ideally want to accomplish), and finally give our defense some much need attitude and tenacity. I feel like that would immediately make our defense at least above average, and allow our handicapped, yet potent offense an opportunity win more games.

(Be careful though. Before you go picking a QB, think about a stone footed Tom Brady behind this offensive line.)

I enjoy these type threads. But you should leave it at "which one player would you most like to add" and forget the over the top part.

Open's it up to too many "no player can get us over the top" responses.

I don't know which one player I'd most like to add. In fact I don't think we need even more more star type player.

In and ideal world, we'd add a new starting FS and RT vis FA of at least better than average quality.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We've done this thread before in different forms, but it's getting into that point in the offseason where the reality of football being over starts to set in - so I figured it'd be worth a shot.

I feel like we've lacked a serious threat in the interior of our defense that forces offenses to adjust their gameplan. Outside of Ware and Ratliff we have no guys in the front seven that teams have to gameplan around. Offenses can just dictate the flow of the game and open up their playbook by having options in all levels of the defense.

Willis is so athletic and talented that he would force teams to run right into the teeth of our defense (which is what all 3-4's ideally want to accomplish), and finally give our defense some much need attitude and tenacity. I feel like that would immediately make our defense at least above average, and allow our handicapped, yet potent offense an opportunity win more games.

(Be careful though. Before you go picking a QB, think about a stone footed Tom Brady behind this offensive line.)

Aaron Rodgers. he can lift the team to another 2-3 wins on his own.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
KJJ;3843613 said:
The one player who could get the Cowboys over the hump would be Aaron Rodgers or Romo elevating his game to Rodgers level.

oh god, now we even have people on this board kissing this guys arse

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Double Trouble;3843991 said:
You can dream it, but that just isn't reality. They aren't 10 players away, because teams don't need that many good players to win these days, but Dallas needs a lot more than one.

If by "a lot" you mean 2, then I agree with you. But if this team got Troy Polamalu as a FA and strengthened the RT position via the draft/or starting Young or Brewster or somebody over Colombo, they would be *significantly* improved. Please don't tell me that you think Tramon Williams or Shields are more athletically talented or harder working than Terrance Newman because that's just a stretch. You can get better corner play but forcing Jenkins to compete for his spot with Scandrick and Ball and McCann, or even AoA.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
A Chuck Norris/Steven Segal hybrid type of human being would put us over the top.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
realtick;3844342 said:
A Chuck Norris/Steven Segal hybrid type of human being would put us over the top.

But Randy White is not going to come out of retirement. :D

lqmac1

Reaction score

Nnamdi

Aven8

Reaction score
Ray Lewis. Been saying that for years. We should have gone after him a couple of years ago when he was FA.

Yes he's old and he's not the same superhuman he once was, but his leadership would have carried this team to new heights. Ask any Raven player and they will tell you, everything goes through Ray.

In fact I would argue there hasn't been a leader in the NFL like him since Irvin.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Seriously, a true GM could win us 3 more Lombardinis in the next 5 years. The talent level is that good and now we have a good coach.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Aven8;3844443 said:
Ray Lewis. Been saying that for years. We should have gone after him a couple of years ago when he was FA.

Yes he's old and he's not the same superhuman he once was, but his leadership would have carried this team to new heights. Ask any Raven player and they will tell you, everything goes through Ray.

In fact I would argue there hasn't been a leader in the NFL like him since Irvin.

Yeah, leadership. Just like Brooking.