What really concerns me about Dak

Rayman70

Reaction score
guys..wanna get excited? Go look up Mike white highlights on YouTube. Its cause for hope. To be fair, go look up Dak highlights at Miss. State. He CAN be special. At Miss. State, they allowed him to be himself and opened up the playbook. Could some of the problem be Linehan hand cuffing him? Have to ask. Could he flourish if he knew he didn't have to fret Linehan reigning him in? Some QB'S are just wired that way..they play better knowing they can be themselves. Favre was like this. YES HE made horrific mistaks at times, but still...made up for it later. Dak is somewhat that way.It took several years before Favre won anything.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
guys..wanna get excited? Go look up Mike white highlights on YouTube. Its cause for hope. To be fair, go look up Dak highlights at Miss. State. He CAN be special. At Miss. State, they allowed him to be himself and opened up the playbook. Could some of the problem be Linehan hand cuffing him? Have to ask. Could he flourish if he knew he didn't have to fret Linehan reigning him in? Some QB'S are just wired that way..they play better knowing they can be themselves. Favre was like this. YES HE made horrific mistaks at times, but still...made up for it later. Dak is somewhat that way.It took several years before Favre won anything.
Is it also possible Dak flourished against much lesser defenses? I'm genuinely asking because I don't watch college ball much.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What really concerns me about him is how most criticism seems to not motivate him or even up his level of play week to week.

There have been lots of bulletin board material some weeks where opponant players say "put it in Daks hands and we have a chance to win".

Dak sees it, accepts challenge, have his annual score drive, blow the rest with sacks and horrible passing, and barely escape defeat.

Recently this season there have also been Cowboys greats criticizing Dak and he still turns in the same level of performances.

Dak just doesnt have it just like aikman said, and imo Jerry should not extend dak. It will be a huge mistake and will bring this fanbase years more or rollercoaster ride football yet again.

We are at the vary end of the season with the playoffs about two weeks away and I am still looking for that motivational factor.

I am willing to go as far as saying a new coach or QB coach wont even help this guy. Some are born to be a QB and some are not.

I like it that he ignores all that crap, and stays within the team game plan. Which falls upon Linehan and team execution of that plan.
I would rather have a QB that ignores that instead of it getting onto his head and forces things, which causes mistakes.

Bulletin board material is more for fans and the media.
Unless you are Jimmy, and can say afterwards...They Are Brass....:laugh:

superonyx

Reaction score
First, I don't know why you're quoting my joke about refried beans to make your point.

Second, when Dak becomes a HoF QB, that'd be the time to compare him to Aikman..........Oops, did I say "When"?
The quoting was a mistake. You may not know this but sometimes the board saves drafts.

Second... Its time to compare Aikman to Dak even if you dont like it. I love Aikman. My second favorite cowboy of all time. But that doesnt mean i am going to start pretending he didnt complete 50% of his passes. Aikman played similar to Dak. They are both efficient QB's. Neither took over games and couldnt be stopped. Maybe it was scheme. Maybe we can't know. The reality is Dak isnt perfect. But he is good enough to win with. Unless someone has a real solution to upgrade the QB position then you guys sound like a bunch of manbabies crying because you dropped your binky.

As it stands we are most likely going to have Dak as our QB for the next 10 years. What scenario do you see where this isnt the case?

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
The Gnats called him out and he burned them for a TD on the first drive. With that being said, you don't want a QB who listens too much to the critics or worries too much about what others say about him. Like should Dak just listen to NFL analysts all day long and go on social media to see what his doubters are saying about him. And call them out personally to try and prove them wrong.

Or should be more focused on watching film, working with his coaches and teammates, and practicing to try improve his game. If Dak has a game where he elevates himself because of the critics and throws for huge stats, then calls out the critics, I'm sure he would got bashed for that too.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Is it also possible Dak flourished against much lesser defenses? I'm genuinely asking because I don't watch college ball much.
that certainly could be it. Just saying, in his rookie year, he proved he could be solid and consistent. He was elite at times. I feel as if he is playing scared because of Linehan. That said, I would LOVE to see if Mike White could win the job this off season. He was flat out special in college.Pure pocket passer,has size,mobility and accuracy for days. I have no faith in our other QB. He looked like hammered crap in the offseason.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Ok, I’ll give you that.

Now let’s talk about what you’d do.

What is your solution. Or any others that don’t think Dak is the solution please answer.

I used to ask the anti Romo bunch the same question and I’m still waiting for a reasonably good answer.

Why dont you get off your *** in the FO and do some serious homework on later round QBs with potential. One that shows the flashes with pocket awareness, arm talent, throwing WR's open, reading defense, and just coachable to the point he will soon get it and get better.

The whole this is a bad QB draft class is really overrated to me. There are more teams than not that fail to either do proper homework, lack of proper scouting, and lack of an eye for talent.

Most of these kids are just placed in terrible situations team and coach wise.

If I want a QB I'd go out and do the heavy scouting, get some 1 on 1 hands on situations to see if this guy has the potential to do certain things I believe a QB should do to succeed, and to see if he is coachable.

Then I can make my players pool out of that bunch. Then I'd go out and attempt to recruit the best QB coach I can find, and he also would have to show me what he can bring to the table to benefit my young lad who is coming in with the potential I spotted during scouting.

There he will have me, along with a knowledgable QB coach to polish him up for the next 2-3 years, and we go from there on if he has it, or do we need to go in another direction player or coach wise.

I find it had to believe the cowboys coaches go any part of those levels to see what's out there for the team QB wise.

They swing with there eyes closed hopeing for a hit to lean on. That's how they did it with Romo and the guy damn near had to run his own offense just to make himself look decent.

Difference is romo could QB outside of the little mobility he had. Dak just cant.

But that is your answer to what I would do.

kevm3

Reaction score
Or maybe if we give Dak an actual coaching staff that knows how to improve QBs and not give him his former backup as his qb coach, he could improve.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I FEEL A BLOWOUT LOSS COMING OUR WAY SUNDAY. Giants have been actually playing very well lately. I see a 31-14 loss. Resting starters late.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The quoting was a mistake. You may not know this but sometimes the board saves drafts.

Second... Its time to compare Aikman to Dak even if you dont like it. I love Aikman. My second favorite cowboy of all time. But that doesnt mean i am going to start pretending he didnt complete 50% of his passes. Aikman played similar to Dak. They are both efficient QB's. Neither took over games and couldnt be stopped. Maybe it was scheme. Maybe we can't know. The reality is Dak isnt perfect. But he is good enough to win with. Unless someone has a real solution to upgrade the QB position then you guys sound like a bunch of manbabies crying because you dropped your binky.

As it stands we are most likely going to have Dak as our QB for the next 10 years. What scenario do you see where this isnt the case?
Understand the quote thing. Seems if you start to write something, you have to just post then delete it, or it shows up the next time you post in that thread.

I disagree with it being time to compare Dak to Aikman, or anyone from a previous era, especially when stats are concerned. Stats are so deceptive, because they never tell the whole story. That's even more true when trying to compare different eras, with different rules, different opponents, different field conditions, etc. For instance, I'm sure it was much harder to be accurate on the old Cowboys Stadium field, because the sides of the field were considerably lower than the center, presumably for drainage purposes.

shabazz

Reaction score
The OP makes some valid points however there is no way for Dakota to “ Up his level of play “

Lady’s and gentlemen, we have seen Prescotta’s ceiling, and it ain’t squat

shabazz

Reaction score
Understand the quote thing. Seems if you start to write something, you have to just post then delete it, or it shows up the next time you post in that thread.

I disagree with it being time to compare Dak to Aikman, or anyone from a previous era, especially when stats are concerned. Stats are so deceptive, because they never tell the whole story. That's even more true when trying to compare different eras, with different rules, different opponents, different field conditions, etc. For instance, I'm sure it was much harder to be accurate on the old Cowboys Stadium field, because the sides of the field were considerably lower than the center, presumably for drainage purposes.

....or having that half of the game when sunlight was directly ventured into one’s eyes. That was some weird stuff there.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Why dont you get off your *** in the FO and do some serious homework on later round QBs with potential. One that shows the flashes with pocket awareness, arm talent, throwing WR's open, reading defense, and just coachable to the point he will soon get it and get better.

The whole this is a bad QB draft class is really overrated to me. There are more teams than not that fail to either do proper homework, lack of proper scouting, and lack of an eye for talent.

Most of these kids are just placed in terrible situations team and coach wise.

If I want a QB I'd go out and do the heavy scouting, get some 1 on 1 hands on situations to see if this guy has the potential to do certain things I believe a QB should do to succeed, and to see if he is coachable.

Then I can make my players pool out of that bunch. Then I'd go out and attempt to recruit the best QB coach I can find, and he also would have to show me what he can bring to the table to benefit my young lad who is coming in with the potential I spotted during scouting.

There he will have me, along with a knowledgable QB coach to polish him up for the next 2-3 years, and we go from there on if he has it, or do we need to go in another direction player or coach wise.

I find it had to believe the cowboys coaches go any part of those levels to see what's out there for the team QB wise.

They swing with there eyes closed hopeing for a hit to lean on. That's how they did it with Romo and the guy damn near had to run his own offense just to make himself look decent.

Difference is romo could QB outside of the little mobility he had. Dak just cant.

But that is your answer to what I would do.
Isn’t that how they found Romo?

And until those few fool proof years are over what should we do?
Clearly with that kind of unprecedented front office work we will find a top guy. Maybe even a hall of famer, but what until then?

Are the Cowboys the only team that doesn’t find these late round gems that are all over the league?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
....or having that half of the game when sunlight was directly ventured into one’s eyes. That was some weird stuff there.
They still have that though. There are curtains to prevent it, but I don't think I've ever seen them closed.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Daks numbers never looked great. But we are a run first team. Supposedly. He is a gamer and makes several great and clutch throws. We will be fine. I would let him play out his rookie deal. If he turns it up a knot he next year and it costs us another few million a year then so be it.

MikeT22

Reaction score
You see going like 27/30 for 3 TDs and the game winner in OT as not stepping up or being clutch. You’ve provided your jaded perspective so what else needs to be adjudicated by the court of public opinion?

I guess we can cherry pick a game or two. One could also look at the Colts game: 206 yards, O TD, 1 Int.

The main problem is he's not consistently good. He's up and down . Sometimes from game to game, sometimes from half to half or quarter to quarter. That might be good enough to make the playoffs occasionally. But if the goal is to advance deep in the playoffs and even win a SB, then we'll be hard-pressed doing that and winning 3-4 games in a row against playoff teams with an up and down inconsistent limited QB like Dak.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Because he's a player and not a fan. Most fans have never played, they don't understand that all that talk is just a show. These guys are men, men dont buy into all that crap. Hit him in the mouth, I guarantee he'll get motivated by that.

They're the same fans whose idea of a great coach is one who yells, screams, and loses his mind on the sidelines. Anyone who remains calm just doesn't care as much as those fans.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What really concerns me about him is how most criticism seems to not motivate him or even up his level of play week to week.

There have been lots of bulletin board material some weeks where opponant players say "put it in Daks hands and we have a chance to win".

Dak sees it, accepts challenge, have his annual score drive, blow the rest with sacks and horrible passing, and barely escape defeat.

Recently this season there have also been Cowboys greats criticizing Dak and he still turns in the same level of performances.

Dak just doesnt have it just like aikman said, and imo Jerry should not extend dak. It will be a huge mistake and will bring this fanbase years more or rollercoaster ride football yet again.

We are at the vary end of the season with the playoffs about two weeks away and I am still looking for that motivational factor.

I am willing to go as far as saying a new coach or QB coach wont even help this guy. Some are born to be a QB and some are not.
Finished whining already? Feel better? Need a tissue?
:laugh:

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Wasn’t he sucker punched and kicked in the face while down? He’s tough, but I’m betting he was a little out on his feet.

Now his “friends”

They’re some little *****es

Players got it worse than that back in the days and someone supposed to feel sorry for dak because of a love tap!?!

Butkus and those boys laugh at you.