What to do at the QB position

Jimbo69

Reaction score
DpG58aZV4AASsM1.jpg:large

I don't give a **** about romo he is the history of this team and i have no interest in comparisons at this juncture because romo's not coming back. I do however think that Dak is not a franchise QB and that not one GM in this league based on his regressive play over the last two years who would in any way give up a 1st round draft pick for him. I doubt you could get a third. Some people on this forum would think i am being generous with a third. I also think that your opinion on this matter may be in the minority or two- you and jerry jones. Even Garrett only thinks we would get a 2nd.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't give a **** about romo he is the history of this team and i have no interest in comparisons at this juncture because romo's not coming back. I do however think that Dak is not a franchise QB and that not one GM in this league based on his regressive play over the last two years who would in any way give up a 1st round draft pick for him. I doubt you could get a third. Some people on this forum would think i am being generous with a third. I also think that your opinion on this matter may be in the minority or two- you and jerry jones. Even Garrett only thinks we would get a 2nd.
It is lonely at the top..... I am used to it

losersgetcute

Reaction score
most of us have given up on dak.
his record-breaking interception record in 2016 is in the distant past.

whatever the reason for the dropoff, it has happened.
at this point, it seems even IF he has the talent, it is not going to come to the forefront in 2018.

so whether u r done with dak or think dak just needs a better ol and wr, u can probably see that he is making a lot of mistakes.
these mistakes include reading the defense and bad form when throwing.

at a minimum, it seems to me that dak needs to sit and relearn how to be a qb in the nfl.
the best case scenario i can see is that dak was spoiled by the 2016 ol that gave him 8 seconds to throw.
so he was rewarded to minimize mistake by playing conservative.
so this most optimistic interpretation is that his brain is completely fried when 8 seconds became 3 seconds, and he cannot adapt on the fly.
if u r pro-dak, u should still agree that that ol is not coming back at least this year.
even if williams makes huge improvements, tsmith is aging very quickly and looks slow against good de's.

so in the optimistic scenario, dak needs time to practice to unlearn the bad habits.
if dak is benched, he can also calmly learn how to read defenses, as after all, romo had several years to learn before starting.
now if u think what u get with dak is what u see now, then you should also have no problem with sitting him.

so what do we do now at qb.
i would say trade for a vet so the team would not embarrass itself.
we cannot look like we are literally tanking, and an experienced vet would allow us to see if dak is the problem.

hopefully we get the #1 pick and grab the best qb.
even so, i would think an open competition should be held for qb next year.
No QB in the history of football would be able to hide the inept playcalling Dak is having to audible out of on every possession. The minute all of the Dak haters get their wish and he is cut from the team is the minute New England or New Orleans has their replacement on a flight to a press conference. The offense as a whole is flawed...the scheme is not "Dak friendly". Logically, who else wouldn't have trouble when Bryant, Witten, Frederick and Hanna are all gone and there is not a legit replacement for any of them. That is 4 of the other 10 players who were on the field when he came in for Romo and balled out.

Rajveer

Reaction score
I don’t know if Moore is a good QB coach or not - realistically none of us do, or can know - but your argument against him is nonsense. It has never been a requirement for a successful NFL QB coach to have been a successful NFL QB. Far and away most NFL QB coaches never even played QB in the NFL at all, and of the few that did none were quality players.
Point noted. However if you want to truly develop your young QB, wouldn't you want someone proven at that position, instead of a rookie at the coaching position.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get it & not arguing the overall point. I'm just saying Kellen never "made his way" by developing his own skills so I wouldn't have much confidence in his understanding of the nuances.

I'll put it to you the way one of my golfing buddies put it. This guy was "coaching" people & always asking folks could he work with them. My buddy plays with him one day and says he was OK but not a scratch golfer or anything. So, I asked him if he was going to work with him & he said "H no. If he can't beat me, I don't need his thoughts in my head".

How would a guy barely able to see over the dashboard while sitting behind the wheel of a car and with a high school level arm become one of the most successful QBs in college football history and find his way onto an NFL team at all if he didn’t develop his skills and learn nuances?

And, even so, what about all the QB coaches that never played QB in the NFL at all, which is most of t hem, or who weren’t even remotely as successful as Moore was In college, which is all of them? By this standard no QB coach in the NFL would be worthy of confidence, and most much less than Moore.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Dak needs to go and anything we get for him would be good.

****On a side note @waldoputty is reporting live from the field breaking news. Mirror Melon has said he is ready now to be called Melonputty and wants us to call him that from now on,, stay turned for more breaking news on "As the Melon Turns"

dd, i actually think we should keep dak as his value is very low currently and in the worse case scenario, he would be the best backup in the league. with his rpo skills and size, he could run much more in a backup role.

at his current value, he would not help much in a trade up in the draft.