What to do at the QB position

waldoputty

Reaction score
You try to trade Dak, you sign a journeyman veteran like Sanchez who can teach a rookie to be a pro, hire a real QB coach and draft the best QB available this spring.

sanchez is too bad to evaluate the other players. we need to know who on the offense is worth keeping

waldoputty

Reaction score
Tank the rest of the year, bring in a new HC and OC in the off season. Trade up for a legit blue chip QB, not a project that might be alright type. You have open competition in the off season and if the rook beats out Dak, so be it, Dak is a back up. If Dak wins out, the rook sits and studies and learns through at least the start of the season and be evaluated on his progress and how the new offense with Dak is progressing. If Dak shows improvement, we keep as a back up or can trade to re-coup some trade assets.

The first step is a new HC and OC. The current staff cannot and should not be trusted to develop a top3 pick QB. Without a new staff, we will continue with the same problems our offense has had with Dak and with Romo.

if we tank right, we may get the #1 pick
we have the same plan.
dak would be really really good backup, probably the best backup in the league (even if he cannot be reprogrammed)

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Draft a QB early in the 1st next year and start Dak next year until the rookie supplants him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
most of us have given up on dak.
his record-breaking interception record in 2016 is in the distant past.

whatever the reason for the dropoff, it has happened.
at this point, it seems even IF he has the talent, it is not going to come to the forefront in 2018.

so whether u r done with dak or think dak just needs a better ol and wr, u can probably see that he is making a lot of mistakes.
these mistakes include reading the defense and bad form when throwing.

at a minimum, it seems to me that dak needs to sit and relearn how to be a qb in the nfl.
the best case scenario i can see is that dak was spoiled by the 2016 ol that gave him 8 seconds to throw.
so he was rewarded to minimize mistake by playing conservative.
so this most optimistic interpretation is that his brain is completely fried when 8 seconds became 3 seconds, and he cannot adapt on the fly.
if u r pro-dak, u should still agree that that ol is not coming back at least this year.
even if williams makes huge improvements, tsmith is aging very quickly and looks slow against good de's.

so in the optimistic scenario, dak needs time to practice to unlearn the bad habits.
if dak is benched, he can also calmly learn how to read defenses, as after all, romo had several years to learn before starting.
now if u think what u get with dak is what u see now, then you should also have no problem with sitting him.

so what do we do now at qb.
i would say trade for a vet so the team would not embarrass itself.
we cannot look like we are literally tanking, and an experienced vet would allow us to see if dak is the problem.

hopefully we get the #1 pick and grab the best qb.
even so, i would think an open competition should be held for qb next year.

Yippee another Dak sucks thread. LOL

Trade for vet? Talk about stupid. Tank tank tank.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I wouldn't do anything and hopefully Jerry will see the error of his statement that we have a quarterback that we can build on... it is my deepest hopes that he was just trying to keep the young man confident in his abilities and not totally crash and burn. That's a big fall from being a rookie of the year to having people want to run you out of town.

lets hope that it is sales speak

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
sanchez is too bad to evaluate the other players. we need to know who on the offense is worth keeping
Just using him as an example. Just a vet who has been in meeting rooms and understands the league. He was the first I could think who was available

waldoputty

Reaction score
Because he obviously won’t want to be here as a backup. Why would he? He believes he’s a starter in this league. It’s like RG3. Plus I’d like an experienced vet in a rookie’s ear:not Dak.

we got him for this year and next.
i still give him a 25% of being better than he has shown.
reading defenses may take time to learn, but there is no reason why he cannot learn that as it is not rocket science

waldoputty

Reaction score
I do what it takes to draft a top qb prospect. I would trade up if needed. Every year it seems there are one or two qb prospects that are top tier.

The rest are crap shoots. We can't afford a crap shoot or we risk wasting the oline and Zeke. We position ourselves to draft the top one or two Qbs and build from that.

this year is toast.
there is no way we can beat the rams unless they lost multiple players.
superbowl or bust.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Tyrod Taylor is terrible. Might as well let Dak continue playing.

Which is what I would do, and then draft a QB high next draft.

Change the OC to give us a chance on a decent evaluation of Dak. Then we'll see about the draft next year.

waldoputty

Reaction score
It's week 6, the time to make moves was a few months ago. The FO and coaches deluded themselves and many fans that this grand scheme of theirs would work. It surely can't be a surprise that it hasn't. Making trades now is a serious waste of draft capital and does not put us in real contention for a title. Making trades now to maybe, just maybe, gain 1-2 wins is desperation and would at best be lipstick on a pig.

^ someone who wants to win!

Blackrain

Reaction score
Its funny to watch so many in a panic ready to throw in the towel all used to instant gratification .

Sometimes you just have to be patient and let things play out . There is nobody out there that can snap there fingers and fix this mess . No vet could come here and make the team competitive before, now we have less weapons . Who would even want to come here with this receiving corps and reject Lion coaches

Its way deeper than Dak he is just a product . How many players have we seen come here and regress .
We could have drafted Goff or Wentz and there is no guarantee they would have succeeded here . We don't have so much a bad team at this point as we have a bad franchise that cant come close to making the most of the talent we have.
I am not going to say I have particularly enjoyed watching this year but I have watched things that frustrated me worse in previous years . Im not sweatin it cause there is no sure fire answer anywhere insight just gonna watch and hope for improvement .

Nobody else in the division setting the world on fire so heres to hoping Dak finds what he had in his rookie year that made it a most enjoyable season to watch

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Name the team giving a 1st for him Einstein...
It'll be fun watching you guys rooting for us to lose the rest of the year

Every win will be another dagger in your hearts

Good luck with that losing

Romotil45

Reaction score
most of us have given up on dak.
his record-breaking interception record in 2016 is in the distant past.

whatever the reason for the dropoff, it has happened.
at this point, it seems even IF he has the talent, it is not going to come to the forefront in 2018.

so whether u r done with dak or think dak just needs a better ol and wr, u can probably see that he is making a lot of mistakes.
these mistakes include reading the defense and bad form when throwing.

at a minimum, it seems to me that dak needs to sit and relearn how to be a qb in the nfl.
the best case scenario i can see is that dak was spoiled by the 2016 ol that gave him 8 seconds to throw.
so he was rewarded to minimize mistake by playing conservative.
so this most optimistic interpretation is that his brain is completely fried when 8 seconds became 3 seconds, and he cannot adapt on the fly.
if u r pro-dak, u should still agree that that ol is not coming back at least this year.
even if williams makes huge improvements, tsmith is aging very quickly and looks slow against good de's.

so in the optimistic scenario, dak needs time to practice to unlearn the bad habits.
if dak is benched, he can also calmly learn how to read defenses, as after all, romo had several years to learn before starting.
now if u think what u get with dak is what u see now, then you should also have no problem with sitting him.

so what do we do now at qb.
i would say trade for a vet so the team would not embarrass itself.
we cannot look like we are literally tanking, and an experienced vet would allow us to see if dak is the problem.

hopefully we get the #1 pick and grab the best qb.
even so, i would think an open competition should be held for qb next year.

Hopefully they are intelligent enough to know Dak is not the answer. He doesn't have the accuracy or arm strength to stretch a defense. At our current rate of win losses and taking our future schedule into account we should have a top 10 pick. Hopefully we get Justin Herbert before the Giants get him.

Herbert_OregonState2017_EE.JPG

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tyrod Taylor is terrible. Might as well let Dak continue playing.

Which is what I would do, and then draft a QB high next draft.

Agreed we don't take a guy like tyrod. But the problem is we might be too good to have a chance to draft a guy we really like. Will need at least a top 10 pick, probably top 5.

Big_D

Reaction score
1/2 game behind the mighty Commanders

Nick Foles won the SB last year

You actually think Garrett is winning a Super Bowl with an offense that can't cross the fifty? Garrett is not Pederson. D can't score 30 a game and the O can't throw for more than 200 yards without it being considered a great game from the QB. You act like you haven't watched Garrett fall apart every year for a dozen years? lol Oddly enough even after Sundays debacle your not convinced. This O is a mess and the finger pointing has already started. I think a top 5 pick is much more likely than any postseason success. Defenses have plenty of tape and these coaches are absolutely dumfounded on how to move forward. The Cowboys after nine years with Garrett should be far and away the better team in the division, but just another year where they look like a complete mess well on their way to yet another January-less season? You can defend it all you want. Good for you never learning a lesson. But it sounds more like delusions of Grandeur?

Last edited: