What would happen if Dak stopped listening to the coaches?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
what if just needs glasses and some nerve pill and why we're at it an accurate arm that knew how to throw with touch. lmao

JDSmith

Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if Dak stopped listening to the idiocy/coaching/noise/whatever you want to call it in his ear and just started doing his own thing like in his rookie season?

Thoughts?

As mentioned elsewhere, Romo started ignoring the coaches and it worked out pretty well for him.

I'll say it once more, when Dak was playing wide open in his rookie season before the "dumbing down" effect started, he was decisive, care free, and effective.

Will it take him taking a bold step in defining his career (just like Romo did) to save it?

I'm not sure what you mean by "playing wide open." Does that mean running more, rolling out more, more option plays or just tossing the ball down the field further?

I don't believe that at any point in his career Dak was doing his own thing. Had he done that as a rookie he would not have lasted a quarter before being benched. They definitely would have inserted Romo as soon as he was remotely healthy if Dak was just winging it and not listening to the coaches. In fact I'd suggest that the very idea is preposterous, since Dak had little understanding of NFL defenses and would almost surely have been laughably bad had he decided that he, with zero nfl experience, knew more than the coaches.

Now if you are referring to Dak rolling out more, running more option plays etc... I think those are things that the coaches implemented to simplify the offense for him. And I think that if he returned to those things he'd have more success against a team like the Giants. However, I don't believe that approach is sustainable and so the coaches are trying to avoid going back to that. Every good defense would absolutely shut down that approach, reading half the field on a roll out basically means the defense only has to defend half the field as well. Running with the ball leads to additional hits. Option plays also lead to more opportunities for a QB to get injured. Even Cam Newton, who is probably 25 lbs heavier than Dak, gets beat up trying to run the ball. That's why he's always crying about all of the hits he takes - he wants to be treated like a QB while playing like a RB. And Dak would not last as long as Cam does taking the hits IMO, he's big and strong but not like Cam. Ultimately I don't believe our coaches would want him to do that because of the injury risk and the fact that we've got nobody behind him.

So what exactly does "playing wide open" mean to you, and why do you believe that Dak was not listening to the coaches as a rookie?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
So what exactly does "playing wide open" mean to you, and why do you believe that Dak was not listening to the coaches as a rookie?
Playing wide open...

Not playing tentative due to dumbed down game planning. Improvising at the line. Going against the grain when his instincts say the called play is bull **** ... And so on.

Listening to coaches as a rookie...

I think I addressed that earlier in the thread but let me say it one more time. In his rookie season, he was just as you'd expect.. a rookie. There hadn't been time to fully integrate him into the overall team strategy. He was handed a playbook, shoved out there, and told to go make diamonds. Much in the way Sam Darnold has begun for the NYJ.

Now that he has been through an offseason or two, whatever clapper and Linehan want him to be is sitting there in the back of his mind pre-snap.

In my most humbled opinion, screw that bull ****. Do your thing Dak. Just like Tony did...

JDSmith

Reaction score
Playing wide open...

Not playing tentative due to dumbed down game planning. Improvising at the line. Going against the grain when his instincts say the called play is bull **** ... And so on.

Listening to coaches as a rookie...

I think I addressed that earlier in the thread but let me say it one more time. In his rookie season, he was just as you'd expect.. a rookie. There hadn't been time to fully integrate him into the overall team strategy. He was handed a playbook, shoved out there, and told to go make diamonds. Much in the way Sam Darnold has begun for the NYJ.

Now that he has been through an offseason or two, whatever clapper and Linehan want him to be is sitting there in the back of his mind pre-snap.

In my most humbled opinion, screw that bull ****. Do your thing Dak. Just like Tony did...

But Dak played his absolute best as a rookie. He's never been that good again, so wouldn't it make more sense for him to have less responsibility? Shouldn't we go back to what worked his rookie season, which was to hand him a playbook and shove him out there? As a rookie he had almost no control, he wasn't doing anything at the line but calling for the ball. I just don't understand why you believe that in spite of the evidence to the contrary (his success with less responsibility) you'd think that he should not only have more responsibility, but go so far as to ignore the game plan and do whatever he feels like.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
But Dak played his absolute best as a rookie. He's never been that good again, so wouldn't it make more sense for him to have less responsibility? Shouldn't we go back to what worked his rookie season, which was to hand him a playbook and shove him out there? As a rookie he had almost no control, he wasn't doing anything at the line but calling for the ball. I just don't understand why you believe that in spite of the evidence to the contrary (his success with less responsibility) you'd think that he should not only have more responsibility, but go so far as to ignore the game plan and do whatever he feels like.
You and I obviously have different opinions of Dak's capabilities and opinions are truly like *******s.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
How long are we going to blame all of the coaches for not coaching up a backup QB?

Dak is what he is and we're stuck with him for the time being. It's up to him to try and get better. He's in the NFL now.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I thought we released Dez because he didn’t listen to coaches and because of that, it was hurting Dak’s performance..
Everything about Dez was going downhill except his high $ cap hit. At one time he was worth that salary, but that's the problem with guys with those big high dollar contracts, eventually they find themselves getting paid more than they're worth.
That's why they released him.

Last edited:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Everything about Dez was going downhill except his high $ cap hit. At one time he was worth that salary, but that's the problem with guys with those big high dollar contracts, eventually they find themselves getting paid more than they're worth.
That's why they released him.
Period...

But sooooooo many in here we're all over me about proclaiming that Dez was not going to be making 14.5 mil for our Dallas Cowboys this year... Something was going to happen.

Then that beautiful day in April hit us.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
How long are we going to blame all of the coaches for not coaching up a backup QB?

Dak is what he is and we're stuck with him for the time being. It's up to him to try and get better. He's in the NFL now.
Ok so you're yet another of hundreds in here that don't like Dak. What's new?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
We'd end up starting Cooper Rush.

At least his name sounds like a franchise QB.

LOL
Sadly, Cooper is going down the same dumbing down coaching road Dak has now traveled down.. It also happens to be the same road Romo hopscotched down.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
I still believe in 2016.
Romo was calling the plays from the head set.

I think at this point it is clear that Romo was telling Dak when to kill the called plays. Dak doesn’t have that knowledge on his own to basically calll his own plays. What we are seeing are the plays that were called into Romo and he would change them. Now you know why he did.

Cap12

Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if Dak stopped listening to the idiocy/coaching/noise/whatever you want to call it in his ear and just started doing his own thing like in his rookie season?

Thoughts?

As mentioned elsewhere, Romo started ignoring the coaches and it worked out pretty well for him.

I'll say it once more, when Dak was playing wide open in his rookie season before the "dumbing down" effect started, he was decisive, care free, and effective.

Will it take him taking a bold step in defining his career (just like Romo did) to save it?
Gotta disagree. The coaches are doing everything they can to help Dak develop into a viable NFL QB and so far Dak has not progressesed. The kid is running the same general concepts that he ran at Miss State. Where is the understanding of basic pocket concepts? Where is the understanding of complex reads? If Dak does what you are telling him to do, he will fail miserably. As others pointed out, Romo came in from a more "pro system" at Eastern Illionois. He worked with Sean Payton in his formative years, so you could argue that by 2011, based upon his learning and experience he could call his own plays (and sometimes, not always did). Dak simply does not understand the pro game yet. If you need any proof, just watch the All-22 of the Carolina game.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Gotta disagree. The coaches are doing everything they can to help Dak develop into a viable NFL QB and so far Dak has not progressesed. The kid is running the same general concepts that he ran at Miss State. Where is the understanding of basic pocket concepts? Where is the understanding of complex reads? If Dak does what you are telling him to do, he will fail miserably. As others pointed out, Romo came in from a more "pro system" at Eastern Illionois. He worked with Sean Payton in his formative years, so you could argue that by 2011, based upon his learning and experience he could call his own plays (and sometimes, not always did). Dak simply does not understand the pro game yet. If you need any proof, just watch the All-22 of the Carolina game.
Zzzzzzzzz...

Did you happen to watch the all 22 of the Giants win? or do you plan to use to Carolina game as a crutch all season to support your lame theory?

Cap12

Reaction score
Zzzzzzzzz...

Did you happen to watch the all 22 of the Giants win? or do you plan to use to Carolina game as a crutch all season to support your lame theory?
All I know is that Linehan's scheme was getting receivers open against Carolina's weak @$$ secondary and Dak failed to get them the ball. So what does Linehan do in the seond half and for the Giants game, he climbs into his DeLorean, sets the date for 2016, goes 88 miles and hour grabs the '16 cut down playbok that was full of RPO, jumped back into the DeLorean set the date to 2018, got the speedometer up to 88 and lo, in behold, Dak looked better.

The problem is that right now Dak has failed to develop. I think it is a fair assumption that Linehan worked on most of these concepts with Dak in training camp, so he was reasonably sure that Dak could run the offense, but he was wrong. Dak couldn't execute, so Linehan had to dumb it down again.

So far, you've said nothing to disprove my theory. Dak made some nice throws against the Giants in a system that he felt comfortable in. He also failed to move the ball in stretches too. For the most part, the Giants played with good discipline and only had a few breakdowns on some of the zone reads. You take away those errors on the Giants' part and Jenkins slipping on the jam against Austin on the TD, and we might be having a very different conversation about the Giants game.