What would happen if Dak stopped listening to the coaches?

visionary

Reaction score
You see a lot of unknowns like Dak do well in their first season. Then film gets out there and defenses force you to do what you struggle at. If you don’t improve on those things you just perpetually struggle. It’s why I’m always skeptical when people say a guy like Watson is going to be the next big thing. Let’s see season 2 and season 3 before we anoint them.

I was saying exactly this at the end of his rookie season
There were glaring simple deficiencies in his game that he needed to work in but he got into doing commercials and events. CZ homers shouted down any criticism but that has had a negative impact

Brax

Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if Dak stopped listening to the idiocy/coaching/noise/whatever you want to call it in his ear and just started doing his own thing like in his rookie season?

Thoughts?

As mentioned elsewhere, Romo started ignoring the coaches and it worked out pretty well for him.

I'll say it once more, when Dak was playing wide open in his rookie season before the "dumbing down" effect started, he was decisive, care free, and effective.

Will it take him taking a bold step in defining his career (just like Romo did) to save it?

Below sound familiar
"Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation."
His NFL draft profile, looks like much has not changed. Remember the tuna said you are what you are. Do not expect major steps, a good game every now and then but not consistently. Jerry always looking for a bargain is really getting old.

sean10mm

Reaction score
When has garbage coaching at the NFL level produced a great QB? Can anybody name even 1 example where a QB was great without having a good HC or at least a good OC? Serious question.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Dak will need to showcase the talent to do so. We shall see. Week 2 is huge for him. He must rebound. It's time.
I think he does better statistically this game. Just hoping its enough to help get us the W

Blackspider214

Reaction score
When has garbage coaching at the NFL level produced a great QB? Can anybody name even 1 example where a QB was great without having a good HC or at least a good OC? Serious question.

Many people hide behind the excuse that coaching does not matter, especially at the pro level and this is completely false. And especially for young QBs. They need a good coaching staff for support. Dak doesn't have that at all.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Great question. Will they actually answer or deflect yet again? :popcorn:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I apologize to whichever mod I'm irritating by supporting our QB.
:popcorn:

I'll continue to do so while pointing out our silver spoon fed HC and QB Coach. Linehan fits in an exclusive category.
:thumbup:

khiladi

Reaction score
When Dez was supposedly ‘doing his own thing’, it was hurting Dak. Now that Dez is gone, Dak’s failure is on everybody else, and he just needs to do ‘his own thing’....

Blackspider214

Reaction score
There are way more differences between the two and one of them is years of actual experience being an OC and playcaller..

They both are terrible, though. One id a leftover from the god awful Lions teams. The other no one wanted and we swooped in and made him OC. Had one good season in 2007 (well actually, the first 3 quarters of it). Then has been exposed as a fraud ever since. Even Jerry had to strip away his duties.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
They both are terrible, though. One id a leftover from the god awful Lions teams. The other no one wanted and we swooped in and made him OC. Had one good season in 2017 (well actually, the first 3 quarters of it). Then has been exposed as a fraud ever since. Even Jerry had to strip away his duties.

Stafford’s best days were with Linehan.... I’m not saying he’s great, but he’s more than competent.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak never did his own thing in 2016. That is why Garrett/Linehan loved him. He ran the play called and never ad libed like Romo did and changed the play.

Romo never ad libbed in 2014, but was working with plenty of run pass options. He was given input into game planning by Jerry himself.

I do think this was a power play though, because like you said, Dak did everything they asked. In 2017 though, when given more responsibilities with run/pass options for example, he was screwing up.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. Here we go again. :popcorn:

lol - do you have a reason you disagree? You seem to think I've said something controversial. Seems like what I said is something most people could easily agree with. In fact, I almost deleted the post because my expectation was that I might get sarcastic responses more like "no sh1t" because what I wrote was so obviously the case.

JDSmith

Reaction score
To answer the original question, if Dak stopped listening and ad libbed we'd get to see Cooper Rush at quarterback. So it would be 2001-2004 all over again. A seemingly endless procession of misfits.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
lol - do you have a reason you disagree? You seem to think I've said something controversial. Seems like what I said is something most people could easily agree with. In fact, I almost deleted the post because my expectation was that I might get sarcastic responses more like "no sh1t" because what I wrote was so obviously the case.
Well.. You know what they say about opinions.