Whats it going to take for Rod to get fired?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Excuse me, but dont all employees have to listen to their supervisors in order to keep a job? Who's the supervisor and who's the subordinate? I'm just saying that cause I'm pretty sure Richard wouldn't be running this crap defense is he was in charge.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yep.

Just like the delicate treatment his buddy Monte Kiffin got.

Heck, this team still can't admit that they fired Scott Linehan!
:facepalm:

yeh I recalled Marinelli getting steamed at a reporter's interview, (at the end of the disasterous Rams playoff game and that record setting rushing outing) who seem to be questioning
on Rod considering retirement.

That will be so interesting to see if the organization that seems to think so very highly of Marinelli ( per several interviews and press conferences) that they could finally considering
replacing him in an effort to change what we do on defense. And that follows the once highly regarded Monte Kiffin and his Tampa 2 scheme,
and we've made changes to secondary (Joe Baker) as we promptly did with Linehan and his OL preferred coach Paul Alexander.

So could the club take a similar route with Marinelli, who the club seems more inclined and committed to than the former departed coaches ?

and yes, I can more see the club privately asking Rod to step down and away as DL coach instead of officially " firing" him right out.
But I think that will only happen if the run defense continues to collapse and a lead reason why this team flops in playoffs again, along with
complaints from his players behind the scenes. Ironically there was reportedly a privately mutiny gathering towards Marinelli in his last year
as DC as they griped about his scheme being too easy for teams to predict and adjust to.

Praxit

Reaction score
Rod reminds of a HS coach I had in football. One of those beat down, washed up type of fellows who just hung around because it made him feel important. Kinda felt bad for him and embarrassed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeh I recalled Marinelli getting steamed at a reporter's interview, (at the end of the disasterous Rams playoff game and that record setting rushing outing) who seem to be questioning
on Rod considering retirement.

That will be so interesting to see if the organization that seems to think so very highly of Marinelli ( per several interviews and press conferences) that they could finally considering
replacing him in an effort to change what we do on defense. And that follows the once highly regarded Monte Kiffin and his Tampa 2 scheme,
and we've made changes to secondary (Joe Baker) as we promptly did with Linehan and his OL preferred coach Paul Alexander.

So could the club take a similar route with Marinelli, who the club seems more inclined and committed to than the former departed coaches ?

and yes, I can more see the club privately asking Rod to step down and away as DL coach instead of officially " firing" him right out.
But I think that will only happen if the run defense continues to collapse and a lead reason why this team flops in playoffs again, along with
complaints from his players behind the scenes. Ironically there was reportedly a privately mutiny gathering towards Marinelli in his last year
as DC as they griped about his scheme being too easy for teams to predict and adjust to.

I see an aged coach, coasting off of past accolades and accomplishments, still revered by this organization, despite the poor results and decisions.

Where's the accountability for Rod's championing of Taco Charlton over TJ Watt? Taco gets all the blame around this organization (and certainly this forum), but how has he done since going to Miami?

Secondly, how has Rod's pet project and this year;'s top draft pick Trysten Hill looked? The few times he's actually been on the field anyway.

And how about 'his guy' Tyrone Crawford? The "$10 million dollar man"? Anyone want to say they're getting good return on investment there? That charade is long over too.

I know it's not good news, and it's not pleasant for some fans to admit, but it doesn't make any of it untrue.

Marinelli and his charges are not performing well enough, and things need to change.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I fully expect rod to be gone after this year.

But what of the rest of this year?

That's what I keep thinking about. We waste another year of this team because we couldn't move on from a coach as fast as we should have.

quickccc

Reaction score
Richards calls the passing game alignment. Rod still calls the DL game up front i believe. And of course the technique of getting washed out or trap blocked on every play is all rod.

I agree.

Rod is DC in title alone.
Richards calls the defensive signals,.. even Rod has admitted so last year.

Rod handles/ and is responsible for the front four - the DL unit, and holds the most responsibility for the run gap schemes.
Richard handles/ and is most responsible for the back seven ( LBs and secondary)

..and notice how it was Kris Richard (not Marinelli) that called over the entire defense on sideline for a motivational rant - including the DL unit.
That alone should have shown who is really in charge of the defense, imo.

quickccc

Reaction score

That's what I keep thinking about. We waste another year of this team because we couldn't move on from a coach as fast as we should have.

Imo, they are not going to replace Rod in the middle of a contending season, without giving him a chance to adjust and correct the issues, they admire the old dino to much for that.
and that would instantly throw Leon Lett as the immediate DL coach should they even consider an immediate change during the season.

I don't think they don't see Marinelli as the weakness that they viewed Paul Alexander. who I'm was hearing his own OL unit may have been pretty vocal about
his coaching and how disruptive and impeding it was on them.

Over the years here, Rod has cemented an image as an admired figure head here among the organization vs what a Paul Alexander, Linehan or Baker were.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Imo, they are not going to replace Rod without giving him a chance to adjust and correct the issues, they admire the old dino to much for that.

I thought that's what this past offseason was for? After the Rams knew everything that was coming and took 'Ol Rod and his 'Rushmen' to the woodshed? Instead, we just get more of the same.

and that would instantly throw Leon Lett as the immediate DL coach should they even consider an immediate change during the season.

I do not expect any such changes during the season, but more suffering through and wasting this year. Thinking "we'll get'em next time" and that never happening.

they don't see Marinelli as the weakness that they viewed Paul Alexander. who I'm willing to bet his own OL unit may have been pretty vocal about
his coaching and how disruptive and impeding it was on them.
Over the years here, Rod has cemented an image as an admired figure head here among the organization vs what a Paul Alexander, Linehan or Baker were.

Unjustifiably so.

Shinaoi

Reaction score

yep no doubt about it. I also have a feeling Jason will still be here after they replace the defensive staff. And when Jason is the last man standing and everyone but him is replaced it will finally be time for him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yep no doubt about it. I also have a feeling Jason will still be here after they replace the defensive staff. And when Jason is the last man standing and everyone but him is replaced it will finally be time for him.

I think he's done too. No way Jerry can sell bringing Garrett back if he does worse than last year, when Jones wouldn't extend him then.

Praxit

Reaction score
I see an aged coach, coasting off of past accolades and accomplishments, still revered by this organization, despite the poor results and decisions.

Where's the accountability for Rod's championing of Taco Charlton over TJ Watt? Taco gets all the blame around this organization (and certainly this forum), but how has he done since going to Miami?

Secondly, how has Rod's pet project and this year;'s top draft pick Trysten Hill looked? The few times he's actually been on the field anyway.

And how about 'his guy' Tyrone Crawford? The "$10 million dollar man"? Anyone want to say they're getting good return on investment there? That charade is long over too.

I know it's not good news, and it's not pleasant for some fans to admit, but it doesn't make any of it untrue.

Marinelli and his charges are not performing well enough, and things need to change.
... I would have fired him 3 yrs ago. Its business, you know.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
... I would have fired him 3 yrs ago. Its business, you know.

In most of the NFL it is. But I think this organization is often too friendly, and too nice when it comes to tough decisions like this. Conversely, Bill Belicheck is a stone cold killer when it comes to making these kind of decisions.

People always talk about "doing what the Patriots do"? Start there. Make the tough decisions, on a regular basis.

Praxit

Reaction score
In most of the NFL it is. But I think this organization is often too friendly, and too nice when it comes to tough decisions like this. Conversely, Bill Belicheck is a stone cold killer when it comes to making these kind of decisions.

People always talk about "doing what the Patriots do"? Start there. Make the tough decisions, on a regular basis.
...Spot on, bro. Belichick is pure business person. Sometimes its good and bad. I personally wouldn't play for him. He has that rape look..lol...

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I agree.

Rod handles/ and is responsible for the front four - the DL unit, and holds the most responsibility for the run gap schemes.
Richard handles/ and is most responsible for the back seven ( LBs and secondary)

..and notice how it was Kris Richard (not Marinelli) that called over the entire defense on sideline for a motivational rant - including the DL unit.
Can we throw them both in the trash

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...Spot on, bro. Belichick is pure business person. Sometimes its good and bad. I personally wouldn't play for him. He has that rape look..lol...

Yeah, but a keen sense of fashion!
:thumbup:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree.

They need to adjust what they are telling our front 7 to do. Were not able to execute it the way its drawn on the board.