Whats it going to take for Rod to get fired?

CoachD

Reaction score
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly from yesterday.........

The Good.........Well after looking like the Dolphins for the first half at least they fought back and had a chance (a little one anyway)

The Bad........... Hmmmmmmmm let me see, this might take a while. drop passes, force throws for Int's, 28 points down, awful defense LVE and Jaylon Smith can't tackle, no turnovers by the defense, oh and I almost forgot a missed 35 yard field goal after another stupid penalty!

The Ugly............The last two games the Cowboys have been outcoached plus the last two games reminded me a lot like those undisciplined Wade Phillips team a lot of penalties and awful run defense. BTW who's Green Bay's running back? How the hell could a team dominate on the ground one week after totally abandoning the running game against the Eagles, how is that even possible? Tell you what folks they better get their act together or Garrett won't be the Cowboys Head coach this year,..............oh and one more thing hold onto that contract for Dak he has a lot more to prove!

Rayman70

Reaction score
Nah, he's part of the issue too.
maybe he is..MAYBE HE ISNT. Here's what we can agree on...we know ROD is not doing his job and should be gone. THAT is a given. We know that, IN SPADES.

Sydla

Reaction score
maybe he is..MAYBE HE ISNT. Here's what we can agree on...we know ROD is not doing his job and should be gone. THAT is a given. We know that, IN SPADES.

I think he is when you see the soft zones we play, the lack of turnovers because of how we play pass defense, the fact our LBs are often in deep coverage allowing easy check down throws, etc.

The entire defensive staff needs to be purged but that's unlikely to happen mid-season.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
As badly as I want Rod to retire/be fired, I’d equally like some talent in the middle of the d-line that can plug gaps and stop the run. Even LVE and Smith have regressed because the d line is trash and can’t get penetration. Their issues in open field are another separate issue too. As a whole there is nothing special about this defense this year. The fact that we need Woods back to even be average on defense should say a lot about personnel we have, but you can thank Rod for a lot of that personnel.

kwcool619

Reaction score
BEN BLOOM is a very good coach and should be made DC. Several things caught my eye Sunday. ONE, we were badly outcoached on defense especially. WE GOT OUTSCHEMED. Packers had a wonderful,yet simple game plan. Run at our weakness,which is our soft interior. THEY DID THAT. Secondly, we looked slow,unprepared on both sides. THAT IS COACHING. Garrett should be fired. Marinelli...FIRED. Our wideouts looked like they weren't sure where to go,which caused at least 1 int by Dak. Gallup should be our number 1 go to guy..its obvious...dude is a beast. Cooper is a complimentary stud opposite Gallup. Dak is fine...but he MUST have help. The oline was terrible..just bad. Penalties over and over from the oline. THATS NO TEAM DISCIPLINE. SEE THE THEME? Same old culture as last year...we beat ourselves and allow the refs to finish us off. The scheme we run on the dline isn't working.

Years ago on the old forums, I kept listing keys to success for this team:
1. Discipline (like you have mentioned)
2. Accountability
3. Mental Toughness
4. Leadership
5. An united team goal to be the best
6. A football knowledgeable General Manager.

Sadly, our owner won't change.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Years ago on the old forums, I kept listing keys to success for this team:
1. Discipline (like you have mentioned)
2. Accountability
3. Mental Toughness
4. Leadership
5. An united team goal to be the best
6. A football knowledgeable General Manager.

Sadly, our owner won't change.
its a posh country club with no damned consequences. Too many claps and not enough good coaching when they need it. Too many yes men!

Rayman70

Reaction score
As badly as I want Rod to retire/be fired, I’d equally like some talent in the middle of the d-line that can plug gaps and stop the run. Even LVE and Smith have regressed because the d line is trash and can’t get penetration. Their issues in open field are another separate issue too. As a whole there is nothing special about this defense this year. The fact that we need Woods back to even be average on defense should say a lot about personnel we have, but you can thank Rod for a lot of that personnel.
we have the talent. Coaches aren't doing them any favors.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think he is when you see the soft zones we play, the lack of turnovers because of how we play pass defense, the fact our LBs are often in deep coverage allowing easy check down throws, etc.

The entire defensive staff needs to be purged but that's unlikely to happen mid-season.
purge may be what we need..I wont argue that. Whats sickening are the linebacking group...except Thomas. Joe Thomas may be playing the best right now and should be starting. Lee needs cut or traded. LVE AND SMITH have played poorly. Can you recall them actually playing in coverage on the running backs and preventing a screen? lol..NOPE! I swear, its like they aren't coached to watch out for the rb screens!!!!! AM I NUTS? Please tell me you guys have spotted this...

kwcool619

Reaction score
its a posh country club with no damned consequences. Too many claps and not enough good coaching when they need it. Too many yes men!

Oops, I forgot maybe the equally important key: Being Fundamentally Sound. Don't get old LOL

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Jerry is at fault if you ask me. Look at all the assistant coaches. None have NFL true experience. From Lett to Columbo to Moore. Jerry likes you. You're hired. Regardless if you are worthy of the job title or not.

aria

Reaction score
Marinelli ESENTIALLY calls the dline plays...not Richard. Its a failed scheme. We need to do something differently because we cant stop anyone. WE ALLOWED A BEAT UP OLINE MAN HANDLE US ALL DAY!!!!! The Packers oline was a mess...and they walked in here ..and laughed at us..toying with us all day long. AM I the only 1 that noticed that? Rodgers and the Packers were having fun out there. Was way too easy. I saw our defenders being freaking nice to the packers like they were their friends lol...I even spilled my beer when I saw the way we played soft...almost like we threw the game in the first 3 quarters.
Well the secondary sucked as well. It was mess all around.

quickccc

Reaction score
Richard ISNT THE ISSUE. Its up front in the trenches and the scheme. FIRE ROD NOW.

and it's getting to the point where i'm not sure Richard does not share some blame to this as well, he's responsible for the back 7,..while Rod is responsible for front four.
and we are not getting the best production and potential out of our supposedly stud LBs - and seem to be still trying the best roles for them. I dunno what's going on
with LVE's game overall I expect more game changing plays (such as philly, ATL) in his 2nd year, I thought the Saints would be a starter but I've not yet seen that.
and Jaylon is still having his gap and run key issues.

And that secondary is not making enough of a difference. and the LBs and nickel DBs were really exposed vs GB.
- especially Anthony Brown ( and why we just cannot get these CBs to get their head turned around to play ?) .. and Heath and Awuzie had their flag issues too.

Either it seems like we have coaches that cannot get their fundamentals and messages across to their players ..... or do we have players that are not responding to coaching ?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
wish they would hire matt Eberfluss as the head coach I know I misspelled his name this whole staff needs to go and some of the players along with them needs to be lots of changes in this team

Silly

Reaction score
They are probably just waiting for him to die. Can't wait to get a big fat dude on the line to occupy linemen.

It would be great... I wonder if they will have enough money after they sign the new triplets?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I think he's already been phased out. It started last year mid season. If you want to put blame for the mess we have now...Kris Richard is were you start.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Jerry is at fault if you ask me. Look at all the assistant coaches. None have NFL true experience. From Lett to Columbo to Moore. Jerry likes you. You're hired. Regardless if you are worthy of the job title or not.

This. Jerry loves his "family", and it doesn't matter if they are competent or not. In fact, if you prove you are not competent at your job, you're likely to get a promotion.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Actually if you fire Marinelli, you are kind of fixing the defense. It won't be totally solved but at the very least, you might get a new voice in there who wants to run different things along the DL. We need to stop with the reflexive defense of Marinelli where we want to blame Richard for everything.
whos on the roster that KR can just plug in that he hasn't gone to RM during meetings and suggested. Give me break on that.. sure next year when you can let players go when contracts are up,cut others, and bring in Draft picks and FAs to fit the new scheme..sure..its too late for all that when KR is basically running the defense..

right now they need to emphasize tacking, blocking, and getting pressures and sacks.. then tell them to go get TOs last but reallyl back to the basics.. players are running themselves out of plays/gaps , bad angles, poor tackling etc etc

thats start now and RM isnt holding them back from imporving..

DuncanIso

Reaction score
whos on the roster that KR can just plug in that he hasn't gone to RM during meetings and suggested. Give me break on that.. sure next year when you can let players go when contracts are up,cut others, and bring in Draft picks and FAs to fit the new scheme..sure..its too late for all that when KR is basically running the defense..

right now they need to emphasize tacking, blocking, and getting pressures and sacks.. then tell them to go get TOs last but reallyl back to the basics.. players are running themselves out of plays/gaps , bad angles, poor tackling etc etc

thats start now and RM isnt holding them back from imporving..

Marinelli loves the BBDB.

It's not an aggressive D, so INTs, Fumbles, Sacks, are far and few between. Been like that since 2013.

It will never work. Never. BBDB doesn't work.

The best we can hope for is Richard taking over and installing the Legion of Boom, Dallas version.

Until then, enjoy your BBDB defense.

Its a long season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Marinelli loves the BBDB.

It's not an aggressive D, so INTs, Fumbles, Sacks, are far and few between. Been like that since 2013.

It will never work. Never. BBDB doesn't work.

The best we can hope for is Richard taking over and installing the Legion of Boom, Dallas version.

Until then, enjoy your BBDB defense.

Its a long season.
AGAIN KR calls the plays, means he creates most of the game plan.. So again. RM is not all to blame..think hard about that ASSt DC , passing game coordinator and in Game play caller..

RM is figure head now.. dont believe the hype..until the off season not much can be changed.. is Aaron Donald coming over? will Dak not throw 3 Ints or 2 fumbles the game before..coaching cant fix that,..the layers need to look long and deep at themselves and get it on track..