Where are the splash plays in Zeke’s game?

75boyz

Reaction score
While l somewhat agree with you Hawk, Zeke just doesn't seem to play with the same fire every game like he used to. Maybe it's just frustration on his part because his blocking isn't consistent either, but something is just not right with him...

This. A hundred times over. Far be it from me to claim All 22 film expert analysis but if you only peeked at the Eagles game this year he ran entirely different. Another CZ member made a specific post about it and I chimed in with agreement.
In the Philly game this year Zeke was decisive in hitting the creases quickly, had his trademark power and leg strength but even demonstrated his second gear giddy up that had been missing in action. He has not played at anywhere near that same level of performance before or after this one game. Against the Eagles.

Run back the tape on it. It don’t lie.

I don’t know if it was PEDs or what.

Cmac

Reaction score
How do you expect him to have big splash plays when that heavy bag of cash he just got is weighting him down? He no longer has to work for his $.
OL got paid too, in case you forgot.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Splash plays are defined as a play of 20 yards or more. It used to be one of the defining parts of Ezekiel Elliott’s game as a RB. He used to always be at the top of the league in SPs.

In fact between 2016-2018, Zeke had 30 splash plays, averaging about 10 a year. In 2019 so far, Zeke has had a grand total of 2 splash plays. One run and one catch.

Why is this happening? Dak’s game has certainly improved. The overall offensive numbers have improved. On the other hand, Zeke’s big play production has fallen off the table.

Is it the OL not being as effective as it once was? Or has Zeke lost some tread on the tires?

One thing is certain. The way this team is built, if Zeke Elliott is no longer a threat to break one at any moment, defenses have a much easier job. This team’s future hopes for playoff time probably hinges on some Zeke revival.

Does it start today?

He did all his splashing in Cabo.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OL got paid too, in case you forgot.

Not one person on the OL isn't earning their money. That unit ranks #2 in the NFL. Zeke is the most expensive rb in NFL history and he's rarely been the best rb on the field any given sunday this year. .

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
He’s out of shape. He does not take care of his athleticism.

Look at his physique year by year. He looks washed up currently. Everything about him screams alcoholic. Anybody who is in the know around Dallas, knows this guy parties nonstop

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Hiding somewhere behind this O-line

Blocking so superb Aikman and Buck just assuming Pitts was letting us score..lol

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Zeke by yards per route run is not a great pass catcher.

He didn't catch a lot of balls in college. He didn't catch a lot of yards until last year and most of those were of the dumpoff variety.

He is not a great pass catcher. He just isn't.
This is where analytics are stupid. Yards per route run for a running back who isn't featured in the passing game is one of the absolute worst metrics available.

God forbid the Cowboys have a different player open.

quickccc

Reaction score
I will get flamed for saying this, but look at Zeke’s build between 2016 to now. He looks at least 20 lbs heavier and it isn’t all muscle weight. He lacks burst and speed through line. He succumbs to tacklers that would have had no chance against him in 2016.

while I agree with the lack of in/out of hole burst, I don't see the question of him succumbing to tacklers- if that was the case, he would be ineffective in goal line scoring situations to which
he is still showing he is a force in that area.

He still displaying that he has that tremendous leg drive power, feel for openings and great knack and nose for finding the end zone in goal line situations.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
This is where analytics are stupid. Yards per route run for a running back who isn't featured in the passing game is one of the absolute worst metrics available.

God forbid the Cowboys have a different player open.
Zeke caught 77 balls last year. How was he not featured?

Also what makes you think Zeke is soo good as a pass catcher we should be ha ING him run more routes in space?

Is it his lack of burst that will have him winning over top and his lack of and foot speed that will have him winning in tight space across the middle? Was it the 2 catches per game he averaged in college?

Or is it just your ferverent wish that he's good at doing something he's never been asked to do on his prep and pro career?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
while I agree with the lack of in/out of hole burst, I don't see the question of him succumbing to tacklers- if that was the case, he would be ineffective in goal line scoring situations to which
he is still showing he is a force in that area.

He still displaying that he has that tremendous leg drive power, feel for openings and great knack and nose for finding the end zone in goal line situations.
Zeke was quite average in goal line and situational short yardage runs last year.

Sooooo