1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Where does Dak Prescott rank among QBs in NFL?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by quickccc, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Whirlwin

Whirlwin Well-Known Member

9,461 Messages
    5,711 Likes Received
    I can't wait for football my cowboy brother family. I don't think we leave points on the board this season. It should be exciting go Cowboys. They cant expect me to give Patrick Mahomes any more love than Prescott LOL

Irvin88_4life likes this.
  2. Irvin88_4life

Irvin88_4life Well-Known Member

18,123 Messages
    20,611 Likes Received
    That's the one they said Dak missed wide open Gallup but if you rewatched the play Dak knew he had Gallup but looked off the safety and seen a guy free blitzing untouched so Dak tried to get away. Gallup didn't come open until after Dak seen the delay blitz. He wasn't totally Daks be fault but he can't fumble right there. If I'm not mistaken that's the one Dak hit Cooper for those long TDs to win the game.

Whirlwin likes this.
  3. Whirlwin

9,461 Messages
    5,711 Likes Received
    I don't like Aaron Rodgers. I don't think he's that great of a quarterback the last 5 Seasons. He's relied so much on the Hail Mary. And that's luck in my opinion. Andrew Luck Tom Brady Roethlisberger Brees. Other than that I don't believe in Elite any longer. You truly need a team to win today. The days of Rodger Staubach taking over a game are going

4. Irvin88_4life

18,123 Messages
    20,611 Likes Received
    I agree with you. Mahomes had a fantastic season no doubt but he has 1 year starting experience. Yes he sat on the bench but I want to see him do it again before I say Mahomes is top 3-5. I think he takes a step back, especially without Hill and Hunt.

Whirlwin likes this.
  5. Whirlwin

9,461 Messages
    5,711 Likes Received
    60 years too many games how to remember them all LOL thank you

6. Irvin88_4life

18,123 Messages
    20,611 Likes Received
    I can't disagree with you there. He does rely on Hail Marys but he is also pretty decent in 2 minute situations.

I wouldn't trade Dak heads up for Rodgers though. Rodgers is getting up there in age

7. Whirlwin

9,461 Messages
    5,711 Likes Received
    That's the main reason why I would keep Prescott over Rogers I was thinking of age when I said it. But there's so much and so little space to write it. Little blurbs LOL

8. IndianaCowboys1994

IndianaCowboys1994 Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    You bring up a fair argument I'll give you that. Dak did play as well as he did for sure. Bottom line: NFC North is a winable division. I think he can lead Green Bay to a division title. Definitely not a Super Bowl.

Whirlwin likes this.
  9. Whirlwin

9,461 Messages
    5,711 Likes Received
    I use speak in text. My fingers Sting from neuropathy. Sometimes my posts get gobbled I apologize that my cowboy brother. Enjoy reading well-thought-out post like the one you presented

IndianaCowboys1994 likes this.
  10. Irvin88_4life

18,123 Messages
    20,611 Likes Received
    I can't remember them all either but I do like the fact that Dak doesn't make mistakes much in crunch time. His mistakes come in the first half or 3rd quarter when he can overcome them. Romo on the other hand, his mistakes came at the worst time.

CowboysWillRise likes this.
  11. Irvin88_4life

18,123 Messages
    20,611 Likes Received
    I figured that's what you were saying. I said it before that I would only take Baker and Trubisky over Dak at this moment...... But that was last year. Now I'm not sure I would take them over Dak. Those 3 will be the future of the NFL.

That being said I can't wait for this season so people can finally see Dak can be that great passer that some of us have seen and this has been a coaching and scheme issue more so than an ability issue.

I will say it now and people can screen shot it, save it and take it to the bank.......Dak will be in MVP conversation this season. Bet.

Whirlwin likes this.
  12. IndianaCowboys1994

IndianaCowboys1994 Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    I'll bring them all season long!

Whirlwin likes this.
  13. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

16,007 Messages
    16,355 Likes Received
    Dak is better than 4th quarter choker Wentz. Why is he in the top 10? lol. Goff too, no way he is better than Dak.

CT Dal Fan, Irvin88_4life and JJHLH1 like this.
  14. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

26,420 Messages
    9,548 Likes Received
    Stafford and Mayfield ahead of Dak.
    Dak is NFL average. A middle of the pack short-range flinger who will give us many years of 8-8 and 9-7 records. Man, we are headed to averageville.

15. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

26,420 Messages
    9,548 Likes Received
    21???
    Egads! I protest, rural man, Dak is easily an 18. But for camaraderie I give him a 15.

PAPPYDOG likes this.
  16. JW82

JW82 JJ21

2,862 Messages
    5,067 Likes Received
    I’d put ahead of Watson and Wentz and maybe Goff too.

17. RJ_MacReady

RJ_MacReady mcompact

3,127 Messages
    5,778 Likes Received
    Let's review:

You're certainly not wrong because we haven't had many if any average QB's signed this offseason (at least long term contracts). I wasn't calling your reply into question...just informing you about this crazy thing called inflation. Like I pointed out, GOING FORWARD, $30M for an "average" QB will not be breaking the norm. If a perennial scrub like Cousins and an unproven QB like Jimmy G got almost $30M APY just last offseason, then $30M is going to be the standard going forward. Once again, for the sake of this argument, we haven't had a lot of QB contracts this offseason to back my hair-brain theory up, but I'm kinda confident that it'll come. Russell just took the top off the ceiling with his $35M APY contract, and a fragile Wunderkind like Wentz got $32M.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    CowboysWillRise and Vinnie2u like this.
  18. Whirlwin

9,461 Messages
    5,711 Likes Received
    I just watched the replay of the Seattle playoff game. What a great throw to Gallup in the end zone.

19. doomsday9084

doomsday9084 Well-Known Member

536 Messages
    827 Likes Received
    That's a good reply. I'm not super anti-Dak. I think the team can win with him. That said, while I agree with your comments about ball control, Dak is just part of that. The offensive line and Zeke are a bigger part. Go back and look at that Indianapolis game where the Colts just loaded up the box and played tight man coverage. They took away the running part of that ball control and it worked.

At the end of the day, every QB needs a great team around him to win and Dak moreso than the top guns of the league. Its a team game. Always has been despite over focus on the QB position by the media. Going back decades, Dan Marino and Dan Fouts were two of the best QB's ever but they aren't loaded with rings because they never had the team around them to get there. OTOH, Trent Dilfer has a ring. For Cowboy fans, Danny White was pretty dam good. So was Tony Romo. No big time success for either because of the team around them.

To a large degree, my criticism of Dak is really a criticism of the concept that the QB is far and away more important than every other position as much as it is specifically about Dak.

20. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

17,061 Messages
    21,853 Likes Received
    Right, with this OL and RB, any QB could dump it off, hand it off, and basically just avoid mistakes for three quarters. Dak's value lies in his ability to respond late in close games -- and to do this while his defense is basically in full collapse.

TD per Drive (NFL rank)
    2016-18
    1st-3rd qtr
    1 NE
    2 NO
    3 Atl
    4 KC
    5 SD

11 Dal

4th qtr/OT
    1 NO
    2 Sea
    3 Dal
    4 GB
    5 TB

OPPONENT TD per drive (NFL rank)
    2016-18
    1st-3rd qtr
    1 Min
    2 Jax
    3 NE
    4 Chi
    5 Bal

10 Dal

4th qtr/OT
    28 Dal
    29 Oak
    30 NYJ
    31 SF
    32 Atl

Without Dak's clutch factor (or whatever you want to call it) over the last three years, this is a .500 team at best.

Irvin88_4life and RJ_MacReady like this.