Where does your moral compass point?

morat1959

Reaction score
Welcome to the club. I’ve been pulling for loses for a few years now. I could be wrong but embarrassment maybe the only thing that moves the needle. 65 years old….became a fan when I was 6-7. Saw a pair of Cowboys helmets stickers on one of my Uncles vehicles. Got to enjoy the 70s and 90s. The Jones way has got to go!

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Been a fan all my life. Recognize the Cowboys starting in 1973. I’m just gonna be upfront with the psychological angle of this thread. Could try to divorce myself from the Cowboys and that’s basically what it would be like at this point, but I know at some point this organization is going to find their way back to being a competitive and winning team and I know I’ll just get right back on Board. So why get off at all? This is hard what this team is going through and what’s even harder is the reason and we all know the reason why it is going through what it’s going through. At the end of the day if you’ve been a lifelong fan, we still have a lot of great memories. A lot of great Sunday afternoons And so forth. And maybe before our lifetimes are over for those of us getting older, we will once again find our way on top. That’s one thing to think about is maybe from Jerry’s perspective. The guys got what? maybe five years left on this planet? Maybe he’ll live longer than that but his mental capacity will be completely deteriorated by five years from now. It’s just a fact of life. I do believe the man wants to win. He just does not have the capacity to put the pieces together anymore. And he needs to step down and turn it over to someone else. And no that doesn’t mean his kid.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be a hoot if Jerry was caught betting against the Cowboys? What kind of idiot would bet on sporting events when he's worth 15.4 billion? It would take greed to levels never seen.
Most of the really big gamblers isn’t just about making more money it’s about the thrill of winning. That’s why Vegas caters so much to high rollers.

They don’t need the money as richer than hell. They just enjoy the thrill whether it’s at the table or bet on a game .

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Been a fan all my life. Recognize the Cowboys starting in 1973. I’m just gonna be upfront with the psychological angle of this thread. Could try to divorce myself from the Cowboys and that’s basically what it would be like at this point, but I know at some point this organization is going to find their way back to being a competitive and winning team and I know I’ll just get right back on Board. So why get off at all? This is hard what this team is going through and what’s even harder is the reason and we all know the reason why it is going through what it’s going through. At the end of the day if you’ve been a lifelong fan, we still have a lot of great memories. A lot of great Sunday afternoons And so forth. And maybe before our lifetimes are over for those of us getting older, we will once again find our way on top. That’s one thing to think about is maybe from Jerry’s perspective. The guys got what? maybe five years left on this planet? Maybe he’ll live longer than that but his mental capacity will be completely deteriorated by five years from now. It’s just a fact of life. I do believe the man wants to win. He just does not have the capacity to put the pieces together anymore. And he needs to step down and turn it over to someone else. And no that doesn’t mean his kid.
Good post. I understand where you're coming from completely. If it was solely about the football product then I would be with you 100%. For me, this is about who Jerry is as a person. The quality of the product is irrelevant to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Statistically, I should outlive Jerry - so that gives me a small glimmer of hope that better days could be ahead of us someday.
You are not the only one who is tracking this statistic. The lingering fear is, "Are the second generation Jones' family any better?"

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are not the only one who is tracking this statistic. The lingering fear is, "Are the second generation Jones' family any better?"
If they get out of the way and hire football people and hold them accountable like 30 other NFL franchises we would at least raise our prospects to same level as rest of the league .

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I get the feeling that Stephen will hire a GM. He does not seem to crave the spotlight like his dad does. He seems like he would be more comfortable as a CEO type.

HungryLion

Reaction score
@nate dizzle
You certainly aren't alone. I feel a lot of the same emotions (apathy, disgust, etc) at what this team has become

What I truly believe Jerry fails to realize is, he's living on borrowed time from a fan perspective

Right now guys like you and I (amd our kids) are 2nd and 3rd generation fans. Maybe even 4th generation. It's the "family" way so to speak

If that diminishes and ceases to be, the effects might not be felt immediately but in 10, 15, 20 years when the next generation of cowboys fans doesn't have the same passion and the national appeal disappears, we'll be just another failing franchise who nobody wants to watch or talk about

If he doesn't right the ship soon, it's coming. The Cowboys will basically be the Browns.

It's sad, but it's coming and it's deserved

And Jerry owns that pending legacy. No question about it

Yep.

Young fans under 30 already look at the cowboys as a joke franchise unless they’re raised a Cowboys fan.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Jerry could be selling powders and whisky to 10 year old orphans in 3rd world countries, and clubbing seals, and all of you would be growling and strutting obnoxiously in your silver and blue gear just as happy as you could be!!!!!!!
I get what you are saying, but one of the realities I see with the Cowboys is that excellence has been drummed into many of the older Cowboys fans from the Landry years, not the Jones years.

Yes the 70's Cowboys were not choir boys. Neither were the Jones/Johnson era Cowboys, but there was an expectation of performance and by and large they did perform. We didn't always get to the SuperBowl, but the team and the organization was somethign to be reckoned with.

Now the team is the premier sports franchise in the world, but a massive stadium, gaudy team bus and a super yacht means nothing to the diehard fans who are looking for the exchange fo value for their fandom.

Show us you actually care and are committed to trying to win every single game. When you sprinkle in the headlines that Jerry has had with women in the bathroom, stories of infidelity, illegitimate children and weird media comments there is little wonder that fans are tired of the performance metrics and have a strong opinion on the quality and morals of ownership - specifically Jerry Jones.

I believe many fans, including me, only want something more simpler.

Just win baby, and shut your mouth!

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
3 straight 12 win seasons and then you do nothing? This thing has now turned into one of the ugliest teams in football. Like Cleveland bad.
Who else thinks this is one of the main drivers of discontent with the team?

You have the same coach, rising young stars, same QB, but you can't find a win to improve your team to get beyond a regular season 12 win record?

I realize each and every year is different, but did it feel like we started this spring with a focused intent to get beyond the 12 win seasons? Did it feel like this team was tooled up to not jsut only win our division, but also to make a serious run at the playoffs adn the other usual suspect teams?

The discontent IMO is many of the questions were not answered by the brain trust so far this season. Coaches and ownership.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I just love football and would prefer my team to be winning. 3 straight 12 win seasons and then you do nothing? This thing has now turned into one of the ugliest teams in football. Like Cleveland bad. It’s amazing you paid for two players and are getting nothing out of them now. They aren’t even on the same page and the body language is awful.

I’m pissed. And our Owner doesn’t care. I was a fan before him. He sucks at his job at GM and his idiot son is really the root of it all.
Dont worry , as soon as MM is fired we will get back to 8-8 seasons .

kskboys

Reaction score
I just can’t watch Jerry and Stephen operate any longer. A lot of long time fans finally seem to be realizing what is happening here. I canceled Sunday ticket and now my Sundays no longer involve watching this team. When hope is lost, then I’m not just going to support them to go through the motions.

They simply don’t care at all about the fans or the players. It’s become more about Jerry surrounding himself with yes men to keep things “comfortable” and doing all they can to win will always take a backseat to that. The same GM for 30 years and his moron kid on top of it then we’re going to pretend McCarthy is the problem at the end of the season? I just can’t play that ridiculous game anymore!
It's actually pathetic when someone claims that Jerry wants to win more than anyone. I mean, the evidence is piled up that it's just not true.

kskboys

Reaction score
Really? It’s a sports team playing in a sports league that’s designed to entertain people. That’s it. Nothing more. If you aren’t being entertained by a particular team but still enjoy the sport, pick another team. If you find that you are emotionally living and dying by the result of a sporting event, the issue isn’t the team that’s ‘letting you down’.
I'm way too loyal to pick another team. Not built that way.

starfan1

Reaction score
Todays cowboy players are all about the salary and paychecks , its not about winning .

its sad .
Honestly I think todays players are . the cowboys just haven’t put together the type roster that can win it all because their GM sucks

Now there are exceptions Brady , Mahomes and others but I think by in large there is a lot of me first players

The GM has to be good enough to prioritize and make good decisions on which ones to keep and pay and which ones to let walk

Franchises like the chiefs and patriots have figured that out

JMO

morat1959

Reaction score
I get the feeling that Stephen will hire a GM. He does not seem to crave the spotlight like his dad does. He seems like he would be more comfortable as a CEO type.
There’s always hope. This is really the only light at the end of the tunnel at this point.