Which direction do the Cowboys go at QB in 2021?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That's a good question.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think the Cowboys didnt want to sign Dak to a long term deal now, but wanted to postpone any decision until after the 2020 season. With the non-exclusive tag, there is a chance some team would have made a multi year offer - which would force the Cowboys into a decision. Paying a small amount more via using the exclusive tag guaranteed the team that they could postpone any decision until 2021.

Exactly.......they also knew France would have worked a deal with another team. One that would have made it nearly impossible to match. But IMO you're 100 correct that they didn't want another team forcing their hand.....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I actually do not care if he cost more next season. If he and this team have success I would gladly pay him. Don't kid yourself QB play has a lot to do with winning, poor play from a QB will get you beat quicker than anything. The position is paid as it is because the success or failure of the position goes a long way in team success for failure. Why did KC not get over the hump with Alex Smith yet have with Mahomes? he is a difference maker. SB are about team but you will not find poor QB play on a SB winning team.
Then the answer to my question is yes.

You need the team success to validate the value of Dak regardless of his personal performance , ability and value to this team.

You see him as not elevating the team enough instead of without a QB of his ability this not being a competitive team.

This sounds similar to the fans from the Romo era. Blaming our QB on the lack of the teams success.

I think I see exactly where you stand now. Thanks

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My priorities always side with the sum. The Dallas Cowboys. And why I care. Hopefully your not becoming frustrated with our discussion and beginning to fall into the need to discredit me personally.

But for me it’s about pointing out the futilities of our ownership which continue to handicap football operations.

And if Dak is our guy we certainly have an unusual way of showing it. That needs to be called out. And why the media is. I’m only Aligning myself with them.

Also, the potential concern of not having a franchise QB. And why I begun this thread. Letting Dak walk could be ok if we have a suitable replacement.

I'm not worried about losing a franchise QB. He will play on a tag this season, after which Cowboys can place the tag on him again if need be. However much of it will do with how Dak plays as it should. Overall Dak had good stats last season but did not play to the level he needed to when we faced top teams, if that continues then he will not be here. Jerry is still sitting in a good position with a francise tag in his back pocket it is Dak who must prove it now, he passed on a deal that would have made him one of the highest paid.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I actually do not care if he cost more next season. If he and this team have success I would gladly pay him. Don't kid yourself QB play has a lot to do with winning, poor play from a QB will get you beat quicker than anything. The position is paid as it is because the success or failure of the position goes a long way in team success for failure. Why did KC not get over the hump with Alex Smith yet have with Mahomes? he is a difference maker. SB are about team but you will not find poor QB play on a SB winning team.

:clap:THIS, I think fans underappreciate. Pretty sure with the exception of 1or 2 games, you can trace most teams' losses to QBs poor play and/or mistakes. Remember a few years ago when Jerry made a comment about Brandon Weeden throwing a prettier ball than Troy Aikman. Troy's response was classic ........how much pressure can he handle as ask. He was talking about just pressure DLine but the pressure playing the position as a whole.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Then the answer to my question is yes.

You need the team success to validate the value of Dak regardless of his personal performance , ability and value to this team.

You see him as not elevating the team enough instead of without a QB of his ability this not being a competitive team.

This sounds similar to the fans from the Romo era. Blaming our QB on the lack of the teams success.

I think I see exactly where you stand now. Thanks

Of course it is still about team but again QB play is a major key, why do you think the position league wide gets paid as much as they do. So should QB be paid equal then to what DE get paid or the guys who protect the QB? Hell I'm all for that but it is not reality, The top paid player makes 45 mill a year in Mahomes the highest paid player who is not a QB is paid is paid half of what Mahomes makes. So tell me why would any team pay a QB that kind of money if the importance of the position was not that important to winning?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
:clap:THIS, I think fans underappreciate. Pretty sure with the exception of 1or 2 games, you can trace most teams' losses to QBs poor play and/or mistakes. Remember a few years ago when Jerry made a comment about Brandon Weeden throwing a prettier ball than Troy Aikman. Troy's response was classic ........how much pressure can he handle as ask. He was talking about just pressure DLine but the pressure playing the position as a whole.

As I mentioned below the top paid non QB in the NFL makes only around half of what the top QB gets paid and there are a several QB who fall between Myles Garrett and Mahomes. Fact is the QB position is the highest paid in the NFL by a big margin for a reason. Not that hard to figure out why? Their play is critical especially in the big games.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys didnt want to sign Dak to a long term deal now, but wanted to postpone any decision until after the 2020 season.
then why did stephen call dak at last minute trying to get something done? That does not fit your scenario.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
As I mentioned below the top paid non QB in the NFL makes only around half of what the top QB gets paid and there are a several QB who fall between Myles Garrett and Mahomes. Fact is the QB position is the highest paid in the NFL by a big margin for a reason. Not that hard to figure out why? Their play is critical especially in the big games.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
T

Trent Dilfer , peyton manning with denver

I see your point here but remember he said "poor QB" play. Not sure if I would call Dilfer and Manning Super Bowl QB play poor. Average/bus driver, yes......both were smart enough not to lose the games.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I have been aligned with this view for months. The fact Dak wasn't signed to a long-term deal by the July 15 deadline, however, has shifted my thinking.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Dallas draft a QB in the first round next year. In fact, I kind of expect it now.
I think they will have a new deal done as soon as they can negotiate again. After the time expired they likey said same deal next year but instead of 35 the floor starts at the 37 million tag. He lost 30 million last year and will make up 12-15 of it with the new deal. His agent owes him about 15 million. Lol.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the cowboys were a team last year that didnt beat the better teams and beat up on the scrubs the qb didnt play well in several of those games coaching was really bad you knew when they changed head coaches there was a big chance that not only the coaches would be gone but that several players could as well i dont think they make the playoffs this year but i guess as they say we will see this group of players chance to win a championship is getting really short lot of time wasted from 2014 until now

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I think Jerry has high hopes that Dak can get them over the top, enough so that he was willing to offer up what he did. The 5 years again it gives the Cowboys a bit more freedom in their cap since it allows them more manage their cap better to ensure we can put players around Dak as well as on defense.

csirl

Reaction score
then why did stephen call dak at last minute trying to get something done? That does not fit your scenario.

How do we know this happened? How do we know what Stephen wanted to say? The only version of events in the public domain is that put there by Daks publicist.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think Jerry has high hopes that Dak can get them over the top, enough so that he was willing to offer up what he did. The 5 years again it gives the Cowboys a bit more freedom in their cap since it allows them more manage their cap better to ensure we can put players around Dak as well as on defense.

No question Stephen and Jerry dropped the ball a bit but in their defense, I'm guessing they wanna structure Dak's contract similar ( if not exactly ) to what they did with Troy and Romo. Remember how they restructured those contracts several times to pay other players. Probably explains why they're dug in.........

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course it is still about team but again QB play is a major key, why do you think the position league wide gets paid as much as they do. So should QB be paid equal then to what DE get paid or the guys who protect the QB? Hell I'm all for that but it is not reality, The top paid player makes 45 mill a year in Mahomes the highest paid player who is not a QB is paid is paid half of what Mahomes makes. So tell me why would any team pay a QB that kind of money if the importance of the position was not that important to winning?
I’m not disputing the importance of the position . I’m arguing the the success of the team isn’t the only evaluation measuring the value of the player.

And Mahomes received the monster contract cause he’s considered the most talented QB in the league. He would have received it without winning a SB.

You’re continuing to miss my point or simply attempting to redirect it. I’m not sure anymore.

But you have basically answered my question. You attach a QB’s value to the success of the team more than his individual performance, production and talent level.

And my stance on this issue isn’t about arguing Daks value. Only that if you want Dak we missed the best opportunity to sign him for less moving forward while placing the Cowboys in position of not having a franchise QB after 2021, maybe 2020.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No question Stephen and Jerry dropped the ball a bit but in their defense, I'm guessing they wanna structure Dak's contract similar ( if not exactly ) to what they did with Troy and Romo. Remember how they restructured those contracts several times to pay other players. Probably explains why they're dug in.........
Good point but Daks situation is different in that besides the Franchise Tag he’s currently not under contract and has been playing for basically min wage for 4 years.

He feels his day has arrived. He’s seen how we have stepped up paying the other star talent on the roster .And where the QB contracts are going along with where the Cap is going by 2023 with the17th game added increasing the revenue and Cap.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I’m not disputing the importance of the position . I’m arguing the the success of the team isn’t the only evaluation measuring the value of the player.

And Mahomes received the monster contract cause he’s considered the most talented QB in the league. He would have received it without winning a SB.

You’re continuing to miss my point or simply attempting to redirect it. I’m not sure anymore.

But you have basically answered my question. You attach a QB’s value to the success of the team more than his individual performance, production and talent level.

And my stance on this issue isn’t about arguing Daks value. Only that if you want Dak we missed the best opportunity to sign him for less moving forward while placing the Cowboys in position of not having a franchise QB after 2021.

It is not the only one but it is a big part of it.
As for Mahomes yes he would have gotten a deal, not sure it would have been as much but his production is a very big reason they made it all the way and that means a lot.
I will say this Dak play goes a long way in the teams success or failure just as I explained KC with Alex Smith vs Mahomes taking over was night and day, yes team plays a big part but the leadership and production of the QB is what gets them over that hump.
I'm not worried about less or more, I want to see Dak take the next step as a QB to step up big in big games to show he is a top QB. Lets do it now and it will be cheaper? hell with that, show me you are a top caliber QB capable of getting this team to the top and I will gladly pay, for me this is not about how we get out of this the cheapest rout

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The reason Dak only wants 4 years is the Cap is going to increase significantly in 2023 as NFL adds 17th regular season game. Not to mention the NFLP new bargaining agreement coming up in 2021.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is not the only one but it is a big part of it.
As for Mahomes yes he would have gotten a deal, not sure it would have been as much but his production is a very big reason they made it all the way and that means a lot.
I will say this Dak play goes a long way in the teams success or failure just as I explained KC with Alex Smith vs Mahomes taking over was night and day, yes team plays a big part but the leadership and production of the QB is what gets them over that hump.
I'm not worried about less or more, I want to see Dak take the next step as a QB to step up big in big games to show he is a top QB. Lets do it now and it will be cheaper? hell with that, show me you are a top caliber QB capable of getting this team to the top and I will gladly pay, for me this is not about how we get out of this the cheapest rout
And that’s fine. You don’t mind paying more. I get it.

Then your basically not interested in my argument which is about waiting to sign Dak is by most accounts going to cost us more.

And if we don’t sign him we will be without a franchise QB looking for another replacement.

All of these other sidetracking debates aren’t relative to my basic point and what the media is bashing the Cowboys over.