Which direction do the Cowboys go at QB in 2021?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Now that we’ve come to grips with the shocking news yesterday the Cowboys have passed on resigning their QB which direction do you think we will go?

We have a top offense ready to contend now. Will we look to the draft as we most likely won’t have a high draft pick or will we look to FA for a veteran to step in.

This is a team built to contend now hiring a proven coaching staff brought in to win now. This is not a rebuilding situation.

The Cowboys decision yesterday regardless what side of the fence you’re on definitely sets our franchise moving forward in a different direction with the most important position in doubt.
Package Zeke plus our Nos. 1 and 2 in the draft for the chance to get Trevor Lawrence.
Our future depends on it.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense

So just to be clear, does one count from the top or the bottom? Because if it’s from the top, it shows that the Cowboys defense is ranked #9...........unless that also has to be changed.
These amatuer hour stats. Go pull numbers by per drive or efficiency. Overall Dvoa was 19th. If you watched football you knew our defense was as below average

shabazz

Reaction score
These amatuer hour stats. Go pull numbers by per drive or efficiency. Overall Dvoa was 19th. If you watched football you knew our defense was as below average

Honestly there were some bad performances by our defense at times, but the defense was superb against the Patriots, Saints, and Eagles but the offense crapped the bed and couldn’t get us more than 10 points in all 3 games

As for the stats being skewed, just an Man up and admit I was right. They were ranked #9 and it wasn’t misinformation and I even supplied the link. Just man up and we can move on

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Honestly there were some bad performances by our defense at times, but the defense was superb against the Patriots, Saints, and Eagles but the offense crapped the bed and couldn’t get us more than 10 points in all 3 games

As for the stats being skewed, just an Man up and admit I was right. They were ranked #9 and it wasn’t misinformation and I even supplied the link. Just man up and we can move on
You are wrong
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense/2019
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/overall-drive-statsdef/2019

Total stats don't tell the whole story because of T.O.P. If a team has less drives against the yards will be lower. But yards per drive they were 15th. Also were 23rd in TOP per drive and 17th in drive success rate. What's drive success rate you ask:

DSR
represents Drive Success Rate, as introduced in Pro Football Prospectus 2005, which measures the percentage of down series that result in a first down or touchdown. Take-a-knee drives at the end of a half are discarded

This means they sucked at getting off the field.

shabazz

Reaction score
You are wrong
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense/2019
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/overall-drive-statsdef/2019

Total stats don't tell the whole story because of T.O.P. If a team has less drives against the yards will be lower. But yards per drive they were 15th. Also were 23rd in TOP per drive and 17th in drive success rate. What's drive success rate you ask:

DSR
represents Drive Success Rate, as introduced in Pro Football Prospectus 2005, which measures the percentage of down series that result in a first down or touchdown. Take-a-knee drives at the end of a half are discarded

This means they sucked at getting off the field.

Dude, I have a life. I’m not going to search through tons of stats you just wasted your time doing. I gave you the link from ESPN and it stated them as the #9 defense. You can’t change that’s fact. This was the fact that you said was incorrect.......it wasn’t.

You also cant change the fact that Dakota doesn’t have a long term contract like you promised would definitely happen.

There’s only so much history that can be re-written at one time.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Dude, I have a life. I’m not going to search through tons of stats you just wasted your time doing. I gave you the link from ESPN and it stated them as the #9 defense. You can’t change that’s fact. This was the fact that you said was incorrect.......it wasn’t.

You also cant change the fact that Dakota doesn’t have a long term contract like you promised would definitely happen.

There’s only so much history that can be re-written at one time.
Well now the jones' botched the negotiation. I didn't think those hicks could screw it up but they did. The math and #'s say he's gone. Time to start looking for the next qb. 100% won't be here after 2021. Like I said your stats don't tell the story, mine do.

Last edited:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Of course. This discussion isn’t probably for you then if you’re not prepared to discuss or explore other options.

working on a mock that has Dak not on this team. So im in the frame of mind that he could be somewhere else. And at this point i dont really care. but u think u better prepare yourself for Dak to get a bigger deal next yr. I actually think he's going to be so much better with this new coaching staff. its just insulting even as a fan that he let his reps lead the team on knowing they werent going to sign. I can see him being booed week one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So is milk but youre going to still buy it right? Same concept for Dak and nfl teams.
I’m not sure Milk is a good analogy . Mainly cause it has an expiration date.

But if we knew we’d pay much more for it next year or even next month we’d most likely stock up as much as we could. Much like a sale.

And why it doesn’t make sense if you’re already sold on Dak to wait until he’s more expensive next year.

It’s like saying no. I want that milk but I’ll wait and buy it when it cost more.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I’m not sure Milk is a good analogy . Mainly cause it has an expiration date.

But if we knew we’d pay much more for it next year or even next month we’d most likely stock up as much as we could. Much like a sale.

And why it doesn’t make sense if you’re already sold on Dak to wait until he’s more expensive next year.

It’s like saying no. I want that milk but I’ll wait and buy it when it cost more.

I'd prefer daily fresh milk.

As @Hawkeye0202 has pointed out, with the signing bonus Dak would be getting $40m AAV for the first two years.

1) $31m and $38m tags are cheaper....so choose fresher and cheaper option.
2) Dak's already asking for $40m per.....it's hardly going up any more or he'll be paid more than Mahomes :lmao2:
3) Let him play for the money....see if he can replicate the success Mahomes has had and we'll pay you accordingly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'd prefer daily fresh milk.

As @Hawkeye0202 has pointed out, with the signing bonus Dak would be getting $40m AAV for the first two years.

1) $31m and $38m tags are cheaper....so choose fresher and cheaper option.
2) Dak's already asking for $40m per.....it's hardly going up any more or he'll be paid more than Mahomes :lmao2:
3) Let him play for the money....see if he can replicate the success Mahomes has had and we'll pay you accordingly.
In other words you pay QB’s based on their teams success not their individual performance and talent level.

I guess you don’t believe Mahomes would have become the highest paid QB unless he won the Super Bowl?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
In other words you pay QB’s based on their teams success not their individual performance and talent level.

I guess you don’t believe Mahomes would have become the highest paid QB unless he won the Super Bowl?

Well Dak hasnt got anywhere near a SB.

QB's get paid on success (Wentz, Goff, Tannehill, Garoppolo,Mahomes) , after they've proved they can lead the team.

The irony for Dak is that his worst year statistically , 2018, coincided with his only win in the playoffs.

Indeed, the defense carried us that year which force some fans to think more resources spent around on the defense may achieve better results than spending such a high proportion of the CAP on a player that as yet hasnt delivered.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I wonder if there is any chance the Cowboys could get the rights to And
Package Zeke plus our Nos. 1 and 2 in the draft for the chance to get Trevor Lawrence.
Our future depends on it.
It's gonna take 3 #1s to get him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well Dak hasnt got anywhere near a SB.

QB's get paid on success (Wentz, Goff, Tannehill, Garoppolo,Mahomes) , after they've proved they can lead the team.

The irony for Dak is that his worst year statistically , 2018, coincided with his only win in the playoffs.

Indeed, the defense carried us that year which force some fans to think more resources spent around on the defense may achieve better results than spending such a high proportion of the CAP on a player that as yet hasnt delivered.

Wentz hasn’t had as much team success as Dak. He has only played in 1 playoff game and his career passing in the playoffs is 1 completion in 4 attempts for 3 yards. His career winning % is lower than Dak’s (57.1% to 62.5%).

Garappolo got his contract without even being a starting QB a full season - only 7 career starts under his belt at the time - and before ever getting to the playoffs.

Cousins has had less team success than all of them.