Which direction do the Cowboys go at QB in 2021?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The reason Dak only wants 4 years is the Cap is going to increase significantly in 2023 as NFL adds 17th regular season game. Not to mention the NFLP new bargaining agreement coming up in 2021.

I know why he wanted the 4, I assign no blame, I will leave that to others to point fingers at the team or Dak but I'm not playing that game. Both sides were dealing in their interest. In the end Dak is the QB of this team in 2020. How he performs in 2020 will go a long ways in what his future will be. I'm pulling for Dak to have an outstanding season to show he is one of the tops in the NFL to take that next step as a QB. If he does that and it cost more fine. I don't see this as if we don't sign him now the sky falls and he will be gone forever, I don't feel that way at all.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And that’s fine. You don’t mind paying more. I get it.

Then your basically not interested in my argument which is about waiting to sign Dak is by most accounts going to cost us more.

And if we don’t sign him we will be without a franchise QB looking for another replacement.

All of these other sidetracking debates aren’t relative to my basic point and what the media is bashing the Cowboys over.

No I don't if Dak takes that next step I don't mind if next years deal is bigger and if he fails then it won't be.
You keep saying if we don't sign him now then we won't have a franchise QB? Based on what??? Dallas holds a franchise tag again next season should that not come up with a long term deal and if Dak plays poorly then that deal may not happen but then why would you want to pay big for a QB who failed?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
How do we know this happened? How do we know what Stephen wanted to say? The only version of events in the public domain is that put there by Daks publicist.
the same way we know anything lol it was reported on internet.
How do we know what Stephen wanted to say?..... I assume he wanted to give dak a last chance.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know why he wanted the 4, I assign no blame, I will leave that to others to point fingers at the team or Dak but I'm not playing that game. Both sides were dealing in their interest. In the end Dak is the QB of this team in 2020. How he performs in 2020 will go a long ways in what his future will be. I'm pulling for Dak to have an outstanding season to show he is one of the tops in the NFL to take that next step as a QB. If he does that and it cost more fine. I don't see this as if we don't sign him now the sky falls and he will be gone forever, I don't feel that way at all.
Understood but that’s the game I’m playing. And the media. Nothing wrong with not wanting to participate.

My agenda is pointing out those specific issues and potential scenarios holding those in power accountable.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I see your point here but remember he said "poor QB" play. Not sure if I would call Dilfer and Manning Super Bowl QB play poor. Average/bus driver, yes......both were smart enough not to lose the games.
ok but I think dalton would not play poor, and he thinks he would.
Take a look at dalton HL for 2019 I just posted. see if he looks "poor" to you
To me he looks above bus driver level.

cowboyec

Reaction score
still think it points in the direction of #4....unless we only win one game and can draft Lawrence.
but i dont see that happening.
i think we win the whole damn thing or make a helluva run at it.
and #4 gets a deal....here.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Understood but that’s the game I’m playing. And the media. Nothing wrong with not wanting to participate.

My agenda is pointing out those specific issues and potential scenarios.

I will say this I don't mind paying for greatness and if Dak takes this season and takes that next step as a QB to prove he is one of the top then you are paying big money for one of the top QB's in the NFL. Right now Dallas has shown they believe in him by the offer they made but Dallas will it on their terms that allows them some flexabliy in how they want to manage the cap. Dak is taking the gamble that he can take that next step instead of the security he was offered. Some say Dallas is taking a gamble? how? if Dak goes out plays lights out and is leading this team to their goal then Jerry pays more with a big smile on his face because his team and this QB has taken the next step which why they pay these guys to begin with, the hope and desire to win it all

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Good point but Daks situation is different in that besides the Franchise Tag he’s currently not under contract and has been playing for basically min wage for 4 years.

He feels his day has arrived. He’s seen how we have stepped up paying the other star talent on the roster .And where the QB contracts are going along with where the Cap is going by 2023 with the17th game added increasing the revenue and Cap.

This just come to me after the last post......again, remember Troy and Romo's contacts were kicked down the road a couple of times to pay other players. I wonder if THIS the language/flexibility France wouldn't give Stephen a 4-year deal. Basically saying there will be no restructuring or kicking down the road of his deal. It'll be 4 four years period.......

If you think about Stephen's last comment about signing Dak to the long-term it stops short of this very point. As he put it, we Dak to understand we want to keep top players around him to succeed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
still think it points in the direction of #4....unless we only win one game and can draft Lawrence.
but i dont see that happening.
i think we win the whole damn thing or make a helluva run at it.
and #4 gets a deal....here.
And we’ll look back to this year having an opportunity to lock him up for much less.

But we have fans who aren’t willing to commit our vows until we get around all the bases with Dak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This just come to me after the last post......again, remember Troy and Romo's contacts were kicked down the road a couple of times to pay other players. I wonder if THIS the language/flexibility France wouldn't give Stephen a 4-year deal. Basically saying there will be no restructuring or kicking down the road of his deal. It'll be 4 four years period.......

If you think about Stephen's last comment about signing Dak to the long-term it stops short of this very point. As he put it, we Dak to understand we want to keep top players around him to succeed.
My hunch is Dak would be more willing down the road to be more flexible . Like his next extension.

Remember Romo did this on his second contract not his first. Same for Aikman who was paid huge on his rookie deal.

Elliott and Cooper both 1st round picks for example were paid pretty well on their Rookie contracts. Dak wasn’t. I sense this is an impact as well. This is Daks first chance to cash in.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
My hunch is Dak would be more willing down the road to be more flexible . Like his next extension.

Remember Romo did this on his second contract not his first. Same for Aikman who was paid huge on his rookie deal.

Elliott and Cooper both 1st round picks for example were paid pretty well on their Rookie contracts. Dak wasn’t. I sense this is an impact as well. This is Daks first chance to cash in.

That he's going to do........just notice yesterday if he agrees to take the same last min with $50m SIGNING bonus next season, that's $81M hard money made in 2 years.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any direction they want to go, that's the beauty of no deal. They can tag him, tag and trade him, let him walk and pick up a FA or keep Dalton if he earns it and draft one of the nine good prospects available and begin to work on the next franchise QB or sign Prescott to a new 3-4 year contract.

All of this after having an additional season to evaluate his performance with a new HC and offense. While the leverage may remain with Prescott, the options are all in the Cowboys' favor.

Doesn't matter which side of the argument you are on, this was the best case that could work out for everyone.

With a cherry on top of that media sundae Booger likes so much. The Cowboys with a tagged QB is guaranteed additional coverage, as if they needed that but to Booger's way of thinking if they're talking about any other owner or team, he has work to do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I will say this I don't mind paying for greatness and if Dak takes this season and takes that next step as a QB to prove he is one of the top then you are paying big money for one of the top QB's in the NFL. Right now Dallas has shown they believe in him by the offer they made but Dallas will it on their terms that allows them some flexabliy in how they want to manage the cap. Dak is taking the gamble that he can take that next step instead of the security he was offered. Some say Dallas is taking a gamble? how? if Dak goes out plays lights out and is leading this team to their goal then Jerry pays more with a big smile on his face because his team and this QB has taken the next step which why they pay these guys to begin with, the hope and desire to win it all
You want the easy decision. You need public perception to validate. Don’t trust your talent evaluation. And that’s fine. Some fans only equate greatness to being on a great team.

Unfortunately risk must be taken. You have to trust in your judgement . You’ve had 4 years to evaluate if you think he’s enough. You pay him. If not move on.

But what kind of talent evaluator needs to see you win the race before he believes you’re capable of winning?

How do we draft guys without seeing them play in a real NFL game. We drafted Morton in 1st round and he never had a winning record at Cal. Mahommes wasn’t on a great team at Tech. But they drafted him 10th overall . What did they see without great team success?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You want the easy decision. You need public perception to validate. Don’t trust your talent evaluation. And that’s fine. Some fans only equate greatness to being on a great team.

Unfortunately risk must be taken. You have to trust in your judgement . You’ve had 4 years to evaluate if you think he’s enough. You pay him. If not move on.

But what kind of talent evaluator needs to see you win the race before he believes you’re capable of winning?

How do we draft guys without seeing them play in a real NFL game. We drafted Morton in 1st round and he never had a winning record at Cal. Mahommes wasn’t on a great team at Tech. But they drafted him 10th overall . What did they see without great team success?

Dallas saw enough to offer up the amount they did but again they manage 53 contract, Dak in only concerned with 1. I don't fault him and I don't fault the team. I'm not upset with the tag. Because he is not signed long term today does not mean he is gone but it does mean he will once again have to prove himself and to get the deal he wants that play must be at a very high level.

To me you seem more intent on casting blame, I don't blame either side. I'm not worries at all about what may or may not happen. I do know Dak will be here this year and his future will be heavily tied to how he plays this year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That he's going to do........just notice yesterday if he agrees to take the same last min with $50m SIGNING bonus next season, that's $81M hard money made in 2 years.
Yep

But all players want the contract. The Tag is just a consolation . But carries the risk if your injured that a more guaranteed contract doesn’t. Not to mention the security of knowing where you’ll be and the mentality attached of uncertainty.

The QB position is most important in that security is needed to build confidence and probably why we see so few QB’s go on franchise tag. I think Dak is only the 3rd in NFL history.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dallas saw enough to offer up the amount they did but again they manage 53 contract, Dak in only concerned with 1. I don't fault him and I don't fault the team. I'm not upset with the tag. Because he is not signed long term today does not mean he is gone but it does mean he will once again have to prove himself and to get the deal he wants that play must be at a very high level.

To me you seem more intent on casting blame, I don't blame either side. I'm not worries at all about what may or may not happen. I do know Dak will be here this year and his future will be heavily tied to how he plays this year.
Yes, I’m totally about holding those accountable for their decisions and the effects on Cowboys Football. Much like the sports journalist and media who I’m aligning with who are bashing the Cowboys.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes, I’m totally about holding those accountable for their decisions and the effects on Cowboys Football. Much like the sports journalist and media who I’m aligning with.

So Dak is accountable and so are the Cowboys. Unless all you are attempting to do is rip the organization. Both sides must agree and Cowboys held firm to 5 years after coming down from the 6 to 7 year deal that was initially offered. Dak was unwilling to budge off the 4.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Now that we’ve come to grips with the shocking news yesterday the Cowboys have passed on resigning their QB which direction do you think we will go?

We have a top offense ready to contend now. Will we look to the draft as we most likely won’t have a high draft pick or will we look to FA for a veteran to step in.

This is a team built to contend now hiring a proven coaching staff brought in to win now. This is not a rebuilding situation.

The Cowboys decision yesterday regardless what side of the fence you’re on definitely sets our franchise moving forward in a different direction with the most important position in doubt.
Can the team play the 2020 season first then THEY can decide?