Which direction do the Cowboys go at QB in 2021?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's what I'm not so sure about. If the cowboys didn't like the 4 year arrangement this year, what will make them agree to it at a higher price? They're not going to pay him for what he did, but based on what he could do in the future. I think if Dak puts up big numbers he prices himself out of Dallas. To a less talented team with more cap space.

I don't, I think the offer the Cowboys put up to start with is more than what a lot of teams would have been willing to pay. You think any team would give us 2 1st rd picks, right now? I have no doubt Jerry and the organization want him here.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
So many unknowns right now. Hard to predict. The big unknown is 2020 season. If no season, are we back to square one in March and it is like 2020 never even happened? Will Dak be tagged at the same rate and the negotiations begin over again? Will there be a 2021 draft and what will the order be? Will the Cowboys draft a QB in 2021? Just have to wait and see.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't, I think the offer the Cowboys put up to start with is more than what a lot of teams would have been willing to pay. You think any team would give us 2 1st rd picks, right now? I have no doubt Jerry and the organization want him here.
In bold. This is exactly why the media is bashing Jerry. Cause if you really want him he’s not going to be cheaper next year.

And that’s really what the bashing is about. It’s not about debating his value. The bigger point is if you want him this was the time to sign him. Not to mention the possibility of leaving a team assembled to contend now without a franchise QB next year.

The rebuttal that we’ll just get a deal done next year is fine but it kinda defeats the pounding of the chest this year for standing firm if we cave in next year. This is where the criticism is coming from.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In bold. This is exactly why the media is bashing Jerry. Cause if you really want him he’s not going to be cheaper next year.

And that’s really what the bashing is about. It’s not about debating his value. The bigger point is if you want him this was the time to sign him. Not to mention the possibility of leaving a team assembled to contend now without a franchise QB next year.

The rebuttal that we’ll just get a deal done next year is fine but it kinda defeats the pounding of the chest this year for standing firm if we cave in next year. This is where the criticism is coming from.

Not this again. if Dak has a bad season how the hell is he going to get paid more? He won't that is the risk. If he has success yes he will get paid more just as Mahomes got paid a boat load then so what Dak but it is not a given that Dak will make more. How he plays will determine that not some lame reporter or message board it is simple poor play is not going to get big money. Dak had the opportunity to be one of the highest paid in the NFL and he choose to gamble, that is his choice

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not this again. if Dak has a bad season how the hell is he going to get paid more? He won't that is the risk. If he has success yes he will get paid more just as Mahomes got paid a boat load then so what Dak but it is not a given that Dak will make more. How he plays will determine that not some lame reporter or message board it is simple poor play is not going to get big money. Dak had the opportunity to be one of the highest paid in the NFL and he choose to gamble, that is his choice
The Cowboys have gambled as well.

For some reason after 4 years we are gambling Dak is going to take a turn downward . Especially after posting career numbers with the #1 offense in the league in addition to resigning the Elite supporting cast while adding another top talent with 1st round pick. Not to mention bringing in a better coaching staff.

We certainly don’t appear to be stacking the odds Dak will take a turn for the worse this year driving his value down.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
If Dak Prescott remains a Todd France client I doubt we ever get a long term deal done.

I also believe Todd France will be a blacklisted agent of the Cowboys.

I bet Todd France already knows a hand full of teams that would pay a premium to acquire Dak once he becomes available in FA.

This is probably why Dak has the confidence to take this stance as well why the amounts being requested on Dak's side never really come out in the media.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Todd France is a well respected Agent. He’s most likely going to Drive the QB contracts up. Which is what agents are hired to do.

And if continues to do so more star QB’s will hire him and owners will have to deal with him.

This is the business of the NFL.

We should be more supportive of the players than the owners.

Flamma

Reaction score

I believe they wanted him here. I'm just not sure that's still the case. Otherwise why not give him the 4 year deal he wanted? What do they hope to accomplish by tagging him and waiting for next year? Does Jerry think he's going to crap the bed in 2020? His situation can only worsen.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Cowboys have gambled as well.

For some reason after 4 years we are gambling Dak is going to take a turn downward . Especially after posting career numbers with the #1 offense in the league in addition to resigning the Elite supporting cast while adding another top talent with 1st round pick. Not to mention bringing in a better coaching staff.

We certainly don’t appear to be stacking the odds Dak will take a turn for the worse this year driving his value down.

Yes they gamble as well and if Dak has a great season and this team achieve a championship I have 0 doubt they will pay him and pay him big. I'm sorry I don't see where Dallas did anything wrong in the offers they made him. It was more than fair. Last year Dallas went 8-8, Dak share in that as well yet they still believed enough in him that they were willing to pay him top QB money. Yes 5 years because it is easier to manage a big contract on a 5 year deal as opposed to the 4 year contract. They were not giving up the talent base they are putting together and around Dak for 1 reason and that is too win. I hope Dak has a great year and this team does win a championship, if that happens Dak gets what he wants and Jerry gets a QB who he will have no doubt about his ability to lead this team to championships. Flip side if Dak fails with the talent around him then that next contract will not be big and it likely will not be in Dallas.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I believe they wanted him here. I'm just not sure that's still the case. Otherwise why not give him the 4 year deal he wanted? What do they hope to accomplish by tagging him and waiting for next year? Does Jerry think he's going to crap the bed in 2020? His situation can only worsen.

Because Dallas knows they have other contracts to contend with not just 1. Cap management is not just looking at today but down the road as well as you know the FA coming within the next 2 and 3 years, you know the contracts that you can work to restructure to free up money. Dallas last offer again 5 years but increased the guaranteed money shows me they want him. As I mentioned if Dak can lead this team to a championship then he is in the car bird seat and able to call his shots. However given the talent around him if he and this team go 8-8 and sitting at home for post season then Dak could be looking at backup money somewhere else.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes they gamble as well and if Dak has a great season and this team achieve a championship I have 0 doubt they will pay him and pay him big. I'm sorry I don't see where Dallas did anything wrong in the offers they made him. It was more than fair. Last year Dallas went 8-8, Dak share in that as well yet they still believed enough in him that they were willing to pay him top QB money. Yes 5 years because it is easier to manage a big contract on a 5 year deal as opposed to the 4 year contract. They were not giving up the talent base they are putting together and around Dak for 1 reason and that is too win. I hope Dak has a great year and this team does win a championship, if that happens Dak gets what he wants and Jerry gets a QB who he will have no doubt about his ability to lead this team to championships. Flip side if Dak fails with the talent around him then that next contract will not be big and it likely will not be in Dallas.
You’re still missing the point. It’s not about whether it was a fair offer or not. Or the value of Dak.

The bottomline is a deal wasn’t done .

If Jerry and the Cowboys want Dak as most feel he does and you appear to agree with them , why I bolded your quote, we stood firm on an offer that by most accounts will have to be higher next year.

And by not locking Dak up this year risk losing a franchise QB.

Those are both Legit arguments. And why the media is bashing us.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It sounds like we have fans who are pleading for public approval to pay Dak. That some kind of deeper level of success for the team is needed to validate paying him the demands.

The last 4 years they haven’t seen enough to invest in Dak or to let him go. His audition must continue until we win a championship. Lol

That’s going to determine whether we give him a 4 year deal instead of 5 or 37 + million instead of 33-35 million.

Why isn’t everyone seeing how we are cutting off our nose spite our face? Assuming of course you want to resign Dak.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You’re still missing the point. It’s not about whether it was a fair offer or not. Or the value of Dak.

The bottomline is a deal wasn’t done .

If Jerry and the Cowboys want Dak as most feel he does and you appear to agree with them , why I bolded your quote, we stood firm on an offer that by most accounts will have to be higher next year.

And by not locking Dak up this year risk losing a franchise QB.

Those are both Legit arguments. And why the media is bashing us.

Bottomline deals are done because 2 sides can agree and it is not just what the player wants, I'm sorry contracts are about what is fair and reasonable and it is about value. Cowboys manage the contract of 53, Dak concern is for 1. Cowboys are also still able to place Exclusive Franchise tag 1 more time next season again if they can't reach a deal

Rayman70

Reaction score
JERRY AND STEPHEN were not willing to overpay and sacrifice/gamble with the teams future. I agree.They took a wait it out approach instead. Its also risky, but I admire that. Dak may have missed his chance to stay in Dallas. Jerry wont forget this.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It sounds like we have fans who are pleading for public approval to pay Dak. That some kind of deeper level of success for the team is needed to validate paying him the demands.

The last 4 years they haven’t seen enough to invest in Dak or to let him go. His audition must continue until we win a championship. Lol

That’s going to determine whether we give him a 4 year deal instead of 5 or 37 + million instead of 33-35 million.

Why isn’t everyone seeing how we are cutting off our nose spite our face? Assuming of course you want to resign Dak.

any why do you care you claim to be a Dak critic? lol Winning a championship does mean a lot you think KC hands over the deal to Mahomes and the SB played no part in their thinking? His play in big games especially in post season gave them a great deal of confidence that Mahomes being a chief for many years to come was a priority. I like Dak and I have high hopes for him but his play needs to get to the next level where he is playing big in big games, not just vs struggling teams. Hell maybe it is better for all to have him on a 1 year deal right now where he has to show he can take that next step. If he can I have 0 doubt that he will get paid if he can't take that next step he could vary well be looking at backup money

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I bet Todd France already knows a hand full of teams that would pay a premium to acquire Dak once he becomes available in FA.

Can you take a guess at the handful of teams? And what kind of money are you talking about when you say pay a premium? Truth is no team will offer Dak more than the Cowboys offered him. Truth is Dak would earn nowhere near endorsement money he now gets as a Cowboy elsewhere.

Dak turned down the best offer he most likely will ever get. His market value is less for other teams. Dak got greedy and wanted even more. Too much risk overpaying and not worth the reward for the owner.

Yes, Dak can leave but he will never get a $30M+ offer from another team and his endorsement money will pale in comparison.

I personally would have taken whatever Jerry offered and I would not have needed an agent taking 3-5%.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bottomline deals are done because 2 sides can agree and it is not just what the player wants, I'm sorry contracts are about what is fair and reasonable and it is about value. Cowboys manage the contract of 53, Dak concern is for 1. Cowboys are also still able to place Exclusive Franchise tag 1 more time next season again if they can't reach a deal
I understand .

Basically your gambling that Dak will not be as expensive next year or that with more team success the public perception is he will deserve more?

Daks future and value with the Cowboys then doesn’t necessarily friend on his ability and production, it rest on the teams success.

And you believe this is how our ownership is addressing it as well?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
any why do you care you claim to be a Dak critic? lol Winning a championship does mean a lot you think KC hands over the deal to Mahomes and the SB played no part in their thinking? His play in big games especially in post season gave them a great deal of confidence that Mahomes being a chief for many years to come was a priority. I like Dak and I have high hopes for him but his play needs to get to the next level where he is playing big in big games, not just vs struggling teams. Hell maybe it is better for all to have him on a 1 year deal right now where he has to show he can take that next step. If he can I have 0 doubt that he will get paid if he can't take that next step he could vary well be looking at backup money
My priorities always side with the sum. The Dallas Cowboys. And why I care. Hopefully your not becoming frustrated with our discussion and beginning to fall into the need to discredit me personally.

But for me it’s about pointing out the futilities of our ownership which continue to handicap football operations.

And if Dak is our guy we certainly have an unusual way of showing it. That needs to be called out. And why the media is. I’m only Aligning myself with them.

Also, the potential concern of not having a franchise QB. And why I begun this thread. Letting Dak walk could be ok if we have a suitable replacement.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I understand .

Basically your gambling that Dak will not be as expensive next year or that with more team success the public perception is he will deserve more?

Daks future and value with the Cowboys then doesn’t necessarily friend on his ability and production, it rest on the teams success.

And you believe this is how our ownership is addressing it as well?

I actually do not care if he cost more next season. If he and this team have success I would gladly pay him. Don't kid yourself QB play has a lot to do with winning, poor play from a QB will get you beat quicker than anything. The position is paid as it is because the success or failure of the position goes a long way in team success for failure. Why did KC not get over the hump with Alex Smith yet have with Mahomes? he is a difference maker. SB are about team but you will not find poor QB play on a SB winning team.