Which direction do the Cowboys go at QB in 2021?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Wentz hasn’t had as much team success as Dak. He has only played in 1 playoff game and his career passing in the playoffs is 1 completion in 4 attempts for 3 yards. His career winning % is lower than Dak’s (57.1% to 62.5%).

Garappolo got his contract without even being a starting QB a full season - only 7 career starts under his belt at the time - and before ever getting to the playoffs.

Cousins has had less team success than all of them.

But they all signed after a successful season. Wentz probably given a mulligan for 2018 due to coming back from injury.

The examples above support the argument that it's all about the timing of the contract and the players performance at the time.

Is this player leading the team to victory, can I build a team around him.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But they all signed after a successful season.

Wentz was signed after a season where the Eagles were 5-6 in the games he started, and second place in the division to the Cowboys. Garappolo got signed after starting only 5 games in the season before, and though his record was good, the team had a losing record. Cousins first big contract was after an 8-7-1 record, and the new one was after losing in the division round of the playoffs, which Dak has done twice.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Wentz was signed after a season where the Eagles were 5-6 in the games he started, and second place in the division to the Cowboys. Garappolo got signed after starting only 5 games in the season before, and though his record was good, the team had a losing record. Cousins first big contract was after an 8-7-1 record, and the new one was after losing in the division round of the playoffs, which Dak has done twice.

See my edited response above.

But stop with the argument because someone else did it Dak should get it - just because someone makes a mistake you dont have to follow it....but ill check on Cousins

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See my edited response above.

But stop with the argument because someone else did it Dak should get it - just because someone makes a mistake you dont have to follow it....but ill check on Cousins
Lol, you are seriously backpedaling. You say others got paid because of success that Dak hasn’t had, and when you are shown your comment doesn’t hold up you change gears and give one guy a mulligan and say others shouldn’t have gotten paid and Dak shouldn’t either.

By the way, I didn’t say Dak should get paid because they did, I said your reason for why they got paid and Dak didn’t get a contract worked out doesn’t hold up.

Cant have a discussion with someone who just changes his narrative whenever the first one doesnt hold up

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If I had to guess right now I'd say the Cowboys will go in an entirely different direction than some fans think/hope will happen.

But keep those wild trade scenarios for drafting Barbie Lawrence coming. :popcorn:

JReed1000

Reaction score
Dak is likely tagged again and pissed that there is some hot shot QB sitting on the bench waiting to take over in 2022 when the Cowboys cut Dak free.
Unless its a hot shot from CLEMSON...Whatever.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Lol, you are seriously backpedaling. You say others got paid because of success that Dak hasn’t had, and when you are shown your comment doesn’t hold up you change gears and give one guy a mulligan and say others shouldn’t have gotten paid and Dak shouldn’t either.

By the way, I didn’t say Dak should get paid because they did, I said your reason for why they got paid and Dak didn’t get a contract worked out doesn’t hold up.

Cant have a discussion with someone who just changes his narrative whenever the first one doesnt hold up

No im not at all....the point still stands that if Dak had a successful season in 2019 he would of got the contract as Goff, Wentz, Garropolo and Mahomes did.

Cousins only got two years and in any case i never mentioned him.

Wentz was coming off an injury and yes they would have given him a mulligan as he had the top QBR rating the previous year.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
I'd prefer daily fresh milk.

As @Hawkeye0202 has pointed out, with the signing bonus Dak would be getting $40m AAV for the first two years.

1) $31m and $38m tags are cheaper....so choose fresher and cheaper option.
2) Dak's already asking for $40m per.....it's hardly going up any more or he'll be paid more than Mahomes :lmao2:
3) Let him play for the money....see if he can replicate the success Mahomes has had and we'll pay you accordingly.

Even if he did replicate Mahomes, Dak doesn't want a 10 year deal. He wants a 4 year deal. If something doesn't change he'll price himself out of Dallas.

I don't think anyone wants a qb taking up 20% or more of the cap. Dallas would be house poor

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No im not at all,

Cousins only got two years and in any case i never mentioned him.

I mentioned Goff, Wenz, Garropolo and Mahomes whom you conveniently brush over.
How did I brush over Wentz and Garopplo. I specifically showed they do not fit your argument, and when you tried to cover that with the notion they were coming off successful seasons, I specifically proved that wrong.

As for Mahomes, he had a great year, and Goff did get to the Super Bowl, but doesn’t somehow mean every QB that signed a big contract has had more team success than a Dak. Some have and some haven’t, but you tried to paint them all with the same brush stroke.

As for Cousins, his contract was an extension and a pay increase on the already big contract he signed when he left Washington,and he is older than the rest and has fewer years to play. He will be 35 when this extension ends.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well Dak hasnt got anywhere near a SB.

QB's get paid on success (Wentz, Goff, Tannehill, Garoppolo,Mahomes) , after they've proved they can lead the team.

The irony for Dak is that his worst year statistically , 2018, coincided with his only win in the playoffs.

Indeed, the defense carried us that year which force some fans to think more resources spent around on the defense may achieve better results than spending such a high proportion of the CAP on a player that as yet hasnt delivered.
2018 is a perfect example . And why QB’s aren’t paid based on the teams performance and it’s success. Yes it can get add to the perception and of public opinion but it’s not the basis.

Much like we must evaluate talent in the draft and in training camp before realizing the teams success.

If we need to validate a players value based on the teams success then we don’t have much of an eye for talent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wentz hasn’t had as much team success as Dak. He has only played in 1 playoff game and his career passing in the playoffs is 1 completion in 4 attempts for 3 yards. His career winning % is lower than Dak’s (57.1% to 62.5%).

Garappolo got his contract without even being a starting QB a full season - only 7 career starts under his belt at the time - and before ever getting to the playoffs.

Cousins has had less team success than all of them.
I wonder how’d he’d explain Stafford signing for the highest QB contract at the time.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2017...afford-signs-richest-contract-in-nfl-history/

eromeopolk

Reaction score
If they let Dak go and not resign him, they are going to go to the first overall pick in the 2022 draft and earn that no.1 overall draft pick on the field.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
As for Mahomes, he had a great year, and Goff did get to the Super Bowl, but doesn’t somehow mean every QB that signed a big contract has had more team success than a Dak. Some have and some haven’t, but you tried to paint them all with the same brush stroke.

No not all, but there's a good chance that a QB gets rewarded for success....Tannehill's another.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If we need to validate a players value based on the teams success then we don’t have much of an eye for talent.

I personally dont care about how good a player is and whether he can pad his stats, I care about winning.

I am quite willing to see Dak play on the tag, and if he gets to NLCG, i'd willingly overpay him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I personally dont care about how good a player is and whether he can pad his stats, I care about winning.

I am quite willing to see Dak play on the tag, and if he gets to NLCG, i'd willingly overpay him.
That appears to be the most ridiculous means to evaluate talent. If the team has success he must be worth it.

Based on your technique all players on non winning teams are totally useless, not worth their salary. Lol

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No not all, but there's a good chance that a QB gets rewarded for success....Tannehill's another.
Success could enhance a QB’s value but shouldn’t be the basis for it.

We’ve had some great QB’s in NFL history not on great teams.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The Cowboys already have a Tank Lawrence on the team.

Now they just need to Tank for Lawrence.