Who Here Is A Season Ticket Holder?

MikeB80

Reaction score
What do you mean "Jerry is attacking secondary markets with his ticket prices?

you need to go back and look it up. The Cowboys had studies done concerning the secondary markets. They actually set the prices of the new stadium according to what they thought secondary markets would charge. I believe stub hub provided the info…you know the company that handles all the tickets now.

people lost their minds when the pricing tiers for tickets and psl’s were released in the spring of 09

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Interesting stories here. I fully expected it to be a little less about I got gifted them versus this has been in mah generation for over 50 years.

Forneymike

Reaction score
Looking at the math of buying a PSL on the second hand market and reselling:

400 section are going for $7000 for a pair of PSLs and all 10 games for 2021, which cost $89 each.

Stubhub has them listed (same section, similar row) for $170 a piece for the Eagles opener and $120 for the Panthers game (lower attendance). Let's just give them a weighted average of around $160.

Costs: $7000
Gains: $3200 gross ($160 x 10 games x 2 tickets)
Total gain after Stubhub fees: $2784

Loss of $4216 for the first year. Assuming the PSL is paid off in 2022 and the pricing stays the same, you stand to gain roughly $1k per season if you only resell the tickets, making the break even cost somewhere around 5 years, assuming that you are able to sell every ticket to every game. You also get to sell the PSL at some point, so it retains its value, even if you sell it for pennies on the dollar, you are still paying for it through the sales of your tickets.

My overall conclusion is that it is possible to make money or at least have it pay for itself in the long run, but there are certainly risks involved. I'd rather invest in a better asset.
How long are the PSL's in your scenario? Mine started the first year and extend 30 years. Are you just paying for the rest of the person's 30 years or is it some other duration?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
How long are the PSL's in your scenario? Mine started the first year and extend 30 years. Are you just paying for the rest of the person's 30 years or is it some other duration?

I deleted that, as I found out the purchase price of the PSL does NOT include the cost of the games, so that would roughly double the breakeven timeframe, so you're looking at 10 years to maybe breakeven on the deal and never go to a game.

danzryd

Reaction score

Pretty sure they all end at the same time at the 30 year point. (Plus one year due to Covid year) You can pay in full at any point, or take on someone’s financing with the Cowboys.

some people who sell their psl have already paid in full and just pocket the difference, less $100 transfer fee per license. Others have financed, still pocket the overage, and you assume their payments to the Cowboys.

danzryd

Reaction score
I deleted that, as I found out the purchase price of the PSL does NOT include the cost of the games, so that would roughly double the breakeven timeframe, so you're looking at 10 years to maybe breakeven on the deal and never go to a game.

Depending on where you want, I see some PSL’s in 400’s in sideline for less that $2k each.

But note, it wouldn’t be 10 games because two of them are preseason so you wouldn’t get the same profit (mostly lose $) on those. I guess with the 9th game now every other year it will vary.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
I don't mind going to important home games but the past few years I've had way more fun going to a couple of away games. As nice as ATT Stadium appears the tickets are insanely priced unless you can score a good deal in the 300 section. I'd rather watch at home or a fan bar than pay hundreds to sit in the 400's section. Most other stadiums only go up to the equivalent of ATTs 300 section so the views are much better and those seats are as cheap or cheaper than buying in the 400s at ATT. And so far I've had so much more fun going to a new city and experiencing their culture for about the same amount of money as going to Arlington where I can see amazing sites such as shopping centers and empty lots while I walk 10 miles to the stadium from $20 parking so I don't have to pay $80. Pretty much every other stadium has better food and beer than ATT (especially if you're a beer snob and want something better than Miller Lite). The cities where the stadium is within walking distance to downtown/where we stayed like New Orleans and Seattle were the best.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I don't mind going to important home games but the past few years I've had way more fun going to a couple of away games. As nice as ATT Stadium appears the tickets are insanely priced unless you can score a good deal in the 300 section. I'd rather watch at home or a fan bar than pay hundreds to sit in the 400's section. Most other stadiums only go up to the equivalent of ATTs 300 section so the views are much better and those seats are as cheap or cheaper than buying in the 400s at ATT. And so far I've had so much more fun going to a new city and experiencing their culture for about the same amount of money as going to Arlington where I can see amazing sites such as shopping centers and empty lots while I walk 10 miles to the stadium from $20 parking so I don't have to pay $80. Pretty much every other stadium has better food and beer than ATT (especially if you're a beer snob and want something better than Miller Lite). The cities where the stadium is within walking distance to downtown/where we stayed like New Orleans and Seattle were the best.

Bingo.... this is why we go to about 3-4 games a year, from Ca. We go to 1-2 at AT&T and try to go to one or two new stadiums a year. We have made friends at the Cowboys games, so we always do the opener in Arlington and have a great tailgate with our many friends we have made. We stay at the Marriott that is about 200 yards from our tailgate location. This way i avoid paying for parking. my hotel is right there and when game ends I can be back at my room within 5 minutes. As you stated, many of the newer stadiums are right in downtown areas which means you can walk to the games if you get a hotel in downtown. New Orleans and Seattle are my 2 favorite away locations, as well as Chicago. We are going to the New Orleans game again and staying for 3 days. Nothing is better than the Big easy. BUT, I will disagree with you about prices being cheaper. Look at ticket prices right now for the Bucs game. For the Saints game. For the Chiefs game. For the Chargers game. Those are all as much or more than AT&T games right now. Only the Vikings game is cheaper. The remaining road games are division rivals, and we play there every year, so prices are jacked up quite as much.

But im in agreement with you on downtown stadiums. Nothing is better than being walking distance to the stadium, hotel, and bars and restaurants.

I now need to decide between the Vikings and Chiefs game. I have flights for both... but right now the Chiefs tickets are insane.

Motorola

Reaction score
Regardless of how you Cowboys season ticket holders feel about the cost, etc.
----their situation allows them to be altruistic to relatives, neighbors, friends, coworkers, or a charity organization....or make a profit from other Cowboys fans \ opponents' fans that want to see the game in person.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I have been around this board for a while, but I cannot recall this question being asked before.

Well? Who are you and how were they acquired?
Not me, but an actual season ticket holder friend of mine sneezed on me once a few year back if that counts at all

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am Juan in Colorado Springs. Lol. And I had been searching for a couple years for season tix. I found an opportunity on eBay where we got club level seats in 231 for 30% of the going rate for the PSL. She was the fan and he got a Rolex out of the deal. Haha. This is our first season and excited!

Ebay? How the heck did you do that? The PSL has to be legally signed over and transferred which usually involves the team's FO working with an NFL PSL marketplace. I sold mine and had to docusign several legal documents to transfer them to somebody else. You can't just buy them on eBay.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Ebay? How the heck did you do that? The PSL has to be legally signed over and transferred which usually involves the team's FO working with an NFL PSL marketplace. I sold mine and had to docusign several legal documents to transfer them to somebody else. You can't just buy them on eBay.

Sure you can. You can buy nearly anything on ebay. Just search for personal seat license and there's a ton of them for sale from different venues.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure you can. You can buy nearly anything on ebay. Just search for personal seat license and there's a ton of them for sale from different venues.

That is crazy. I'd be very wary of a scam. The NFL has designated market places for these things.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm with you. The game day experience at AT&T doesn't excite me. It's a beautiful place but the atmosphere on game day is lacking. So I try to pick one non-divisional away game each season to attend. I'll be at SoFi for the Chargers game this upcoming season.
Its a shame that home field advantage if your a Cowboys fan is not the same experience if you are Browns, Packers, etc...
Home field advantage is minimalized when capital gain is maximized by corporates buying up tickets and the game becomes a social cheese eating event.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its a shame that home field advantage if your a Cowboys fan is not the same experience if you are Browns, Packers, etc...
Home field advantage is minimalized when capital gain is maximized by corporates buying up tickets and the game becomes a social cheese eating event.

Agreed. The one exception for me was the Seattle playoff game. That felt like a real home crowd......... but it is still not up to par. There are still tons of corporate types on junkets just there to say they were there and have something cool to post on their FB page. There are no deep rooted fan traditions. Jerry has decimated the tailgate scene with parking lot rules. Its kinda sad.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Agreed. The one exception for me was the Seattle playoff game. That felt like a real home crowd......... but it is still not up to par. There are still tons of corporate types on junkets just there to say they were there and have something cool to post on their FB page. There are no deep rooted fan traditions. Jerry has decimated the tailgate scene with parking lot rules. Its kinda sad.
You are part of the minority that sees it, and sadly why Jerry dismisses the relevance.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are part of the minority that sees it, and sadly why Jerry dismisses the relevance.

To be fair, most of the newer NFL stadiums have a similar scene. But, the old school places like GB, Cleveland, or soldier field in Chicago still have that college feel with rabid fans and fan traditions. I remember the old RFK stadium and Texas stadium scenes......... once you destroy that, you can't buy it back.

MikeB80

Reaction score

to be fair, I can’t stand Jerry but the tailgating issue is a city of Arlington issue. They are the ones who say where you can tailgate and can not.

the Seattle playoff game I have heard was good, I didn’t go. I did go to the other playoff games at the stadium and the crowds were all excellent.