who is going to be the backup QB?

carphalen5150

Reaction score
wayne_motley;1375979 said:
You can't baby the QB....until he wins a championship, there should always be competition...never take away competition at any position. When Jimmy Johnson got here he used a supplemental first rounder on Steve Walsh...it bothered Aikman....so what? Suck it up and win the position. If Carr were to win the position, would that make us better? of course, if he won it.

Romo has had part of a good year, and he looks like our future, but you can't just mail it in at QB....there should be competition.
I am not saying to baby the QB. Romo is the QB for now and the future, plain and simple. If he wasn't then Jerry would not be trying to sign him to a longterm deal. So bringing in Carr not only sends the wrong message, but it ties up alot of money in the QB position. There are better candidates out there to be the back up.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
TheProphet;1376037 said:
I keep hearing alot about this Ricky Ray guy. So, I took the time to research. Quite frankly, Bowman is on to something. This guy looks to be a real winner. Let's hope Wade gives him a good long look sometime soon. However, before we all get too excited about him, be advised he is under cotnract through the end of 07. That doesn't mean we should cease discussing, as this guy is still a pup.
Kudos to Bowman in discovering this guy and thinking outside the box. That is what we need more of around these parts.
Thoughts?

No point to signing a guy like Ray as the backup IMO. IMO, the backup QB needs to have NFL experience if Romo is the starter. Ray does not have that. He's been in the 49ers camp and dressed for 5 or 6 games with the Jets but never played. CFL and AFL are not the NFL. If your going to cut Baker and say this is the developmental guy, then maybe it makes more sense. I would not do that because he's been in camps before and nobody has taken the time to invest in him (I think because of his arm strength) so I don't see how he could be a good fit as backup or really even the developmental guy. He may have a chance if he gets with a team that has a Vet starter and a seasoned backup but I don't think he is what we need in Dallas as a backup. JMO of course.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
carphalen5150;1376057 said:
I am not saying to baby the QB. Romo is the QB for now and the future, plain and simple. If he wasn't then Jerry would not be trying to sign him to a longterm deal. So bringing in Carr not only sends the wrong message, but it ties up alot of money in the QB position. There are better candidates out there to be the back up.

How can it send the wrong message? This is exactly the approach taken with Carter and look how that worked out. How do we even know what the investment might be for Carr? Who are the better candidates that can be brought in?

tecolote

Reaction score
Kelly Holcomb would be a very good backup IMO, he was never very good as a starter but when he came in as a backup for a couple of games he was pretty good.

tecolote

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1376084 said:
How can it send the wrong message? This is exactly the approach taken with Carter and look how that worked out. How do we even know what the investment might be for Carr? Who are the better candidates that can be brought in?

As a matter of fact, this was exactly the approach taken with Carter, they brought in competition for the job, first Hutch :ralph: then Vinnie :bang2: , it´s obvious at least for next year Romo should be the starter, he´s young, he went to the Pro Bowl, they should bring a veteran backup who could mentor him, not someone to compete for the starters Job, at least not this year.

superpunk

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1376084 said:

You're absolutely right.

Competition can ONLY help. Sure, it can be Romo's job, stated that way, just as it was Bledsoe's job this year. That said, you can clearly have a best player plays policy. That way it's Romo's job, unless he is outperformed. He's not short on confidence. Having someone there to push him can ONLY be good for the Cowboys, and Romo.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk;1376099 said:
You're absolutely right.

Competition can ONLY help. Sure, it can be Romo's job, stated that way, just as it was Bledsoe's job this year. That said, you can clearly have a best player plays policy. That way it's Romo's job, unless he is outperformed. He's not short on confidence. Having someone there to push him can ONLY be good for the Cowboys, and Romo.

I agree to an extent but Dallas never brought in a QB to really challenge Troy we knew who the QB was going to be. I expect Dallas will bring in a vet at a reasonable cost not a high priced QB to challenge for the job.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
tecolote;1376092 said:
As a matter of fact, this was exactly the approach taken with Carter, they brought in competition for the job, first Hutch :ralph: then Vinnie :bang2: , it´s obvious at least for next year Romo should be the starter, he´s young, he went to the Pro Bowl, they should bring a veteran backup who could mentor him, not someone to compete for the starters Job, at least this year.

No, this is incorrect. The job was handed to Carter and only after everybody realized that it was a mistake to do this, Hutch was brought in. Vinnie was signed as insurance.

You forget, Banks was signed as the starter and never even given an opportunity to take the field. Anthoney Wright out played Carter, IMO, and he was flat cut.

I don't how you can say that Romo is the starter when he's not even completed a full season. Yeah, he probably is but that's not the same as a sure thing. Besides, the real issue here is who plays if Romo is hurt? That's why you bring in a guy who has the talent to win games and has experience. The compatition will not hurt either. That's all goodness as far as I'm concerned. Carr would be a good guy as backup if we were lucky enough to get him, which is doubtful.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1376084 said:
Romo is the guy, end of story. You bring in a complementary QB, not someone who was looked at as a franchise guy 2 years ago. I just don't see the value in brining Carr in at all.

I said in another post that I like Rattay. He would be a perfect back up.

superpunk

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1376107 said:
I agree to an extent but Dallas never brought in a QB to really challenge Troy we knew who the QB was going to be. I expect Dallas will bring in a vet at a reasonable cost not a high priced QB to challenge for the job.

That sounds reasonable. I think we should draft a QB personally, maybe high second day pick. A guy to work behind Romo, be helped by Jason. All you can ask for in a competition is that the best player gets on the field. If Wade makes that known, he can bring in whoever he wants, and people should be ok. If they're too fragile for that, I don't see how they made it to the NFL in the first place.

Eddie

Reaction score
We can give up a 3rd for Drew Hensen. Wait, we already did that.

A 5th for Carr would be a steal. We can even throw in Drew Hensen.

tecolote

Reaction score

Exactly, beleive me, Denver, Arizona, Tennessee, San Diego and the NYG are not going to bring a QB to compete for the starting job, although maybe the Giants should, I can´t stand Manning, sometimes you have to pick your guy and ride with him, and Romo had a superb first season, rememer I said first season, he needs a veteran backup.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I don't know about this Dooms. In 89, Steve Walsh was brought in from Miami (Jimmy's Boy), with a 1st round pick. Granted he was a rookie but he was a very highly thought of rookie. In 91, Steve Beuerline was brought in to compete. Granted, he could not beat out Troy but he certainly had talent. In 1993, Kosar was brought in and he could play. He couldn't beat out Troy and he was closer to the end of his career then the start but still, he was a proven winner. Jason Garrett was pretty much the back up after that and that stayed that way till 2000 when we signed Cunningham, who eventually became the starter.

I'd say a more accurate statement might be that we never brought in anybody who had the talent to beat out Aikman but that's not a hard thing to understand. Who was out there that had more talent then Aikman? Not the same thing with Romo IMO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk;1376115 said:
That sounds reasonable. I think we should draft a QB personally, maybe high second day pick. A guy to work behind Romo, be helped by Jason. All you can ask for in a competition is that the best player gets on the field. If Wade makes that known, he can bring in whoever he wants, and people should be ok. If they're too fragile for that, I don't see how they made it to the NFL in the first place.

What I would like to see is a vet brought in and as you said draft a QB in day 2. It appears Jones will make a real investment in Romo and like any other QB that a team is making a commitment to you need to allow him to go out without constantly looking over his shoulder. I don't see any of the teams with good QB's placing real competition behind the starter.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
carphalen5150;1376112 said:
Romo is the guy, end of story. You bring in a complementary QB, not someone who was looked at as a franchise guy 2 years ago. I just don't see the value in brining Carr in at all.

I said in another post that I like Rattay. He would be a perfect back up.

Wrong. Romo is the guy if he proves to be the guy and if he stays healthy. You bring in the best talent you can at all positions and create compatition.

As for the value of Carr, well, if it were to only cost us a 5th round pick, that alone is value. He's started and won games in the NFL. He's got enough talent to win games for you off the bench. How can there not be value if you were able to get that guy as your backup?

tecolote

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1376111 said:
No, this is incorrect. The job was handed to Carter and only after everybody realized that it was a mistake to do this, Hutch was brought in. Vinnie was signed as insurance.

You forget, Banks was signed as the starter and never even given an opportunity to take the field. Anthoney Wright out played Carter, IMO, and he was flat cut.

I don't how you can say that Romo is the starter when he's not even completed a full season. Yeah, he probably is but that's not the same as a sure thing. Besides, the real issue here is who plays if Romo is hurt? That's why you bring in a guy who has the talent to win games and has experience. The compatition will not hurt either. That's all goodness as far as I'm concerned. Carr would be a good guy as backup if we were lucky enough to get him, which is doubtful.

You are right about the being hurt thing, but I would probably prefer a guy like Dilfer or Hollcomb to come in and win a few games than a guy like Carr, as for Quincy, I´m just glad that´s over with, whatever happened, I just pray to God it doesn´t happen again.

As I said in another post, sometimes you pick your guy and go with him, and Romo is not nearly the gamble Quincy was.

superpunk

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1376130 said:
What I would like to see is a vet brought in and as you said draft a QB in day 2. It appears Jones will make a real investment in Romo and like any other QB that a team is making a commitment to you need to allow him to go out without constantly looking over his shoulder. I don't see any of the teams with good QB's placing real competition behind the starter.

I don't see where the trouble would be witha guy like Carr. Romo already beat out one Number one overall pick who, for all his warts, is far more impressive than Carr ever was. Romo's a confident guy, I don't see him worrying too much about what's behind him. If he's the best guy, he's the best guy. Nothing at all wrong with a little unnamed competition, IMO. MAke it clear Romo's the guy, and let everything work itself out. The cream ALWAYS rises.

If it doesn't, it ain't cream.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1376128 said:
I don't know about this Dooms. In 89, Steve Walsh was brought in from Miami (Jimmy's Boy), with a 1st round pick. Granted he was a rookie but he was a very highly thought of rookie. In 91, Steve Beuerline was brought in to compete. Granted, he could not beat out Troy but he certainly had talent. In 1993, Kosar was brought in and he could play. He couldn't beat out Troy and he was closer to the end of his career then the start but still, he was a proven winner. Jason Garrett was pretty much the back up after that and that stayed that way till 2000 when we signed Cunningham, who eventually became the starter.

I'd say a more accurate statement might be that we never brought in anybody who had the talent to beat out Aikman but that's not a hard thing to understand. Who was out there that had more talent then Aikman? Not the same thing with Romo IMO.

They both came in the same season and Walsh was gone by the following year after that no Dallas never brought in a QB to compete with Troy. Sorry Beuerline was brought in to backup he never went to camp to compete not when Troy was getting the vast amount of snaps in camp. To compete your talking about spitting snaps fairly even and that is great if your not committed to a QB but that is about to change when Jerry and Romo sit down and come up with a long term contract. At that point Romo needs to be getting the vast majority of the snaps not sharing them

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk;1376140 said:
I don't see where the trouble would be witha guy like Carr. Romo already beat out one Number one overall pick who, for all his warts, is far more impressive than Carr ever was. Romo's a confident guy, I don't see him worrying too much about what's behind him. If he's the best guy, he's the best guy. Nothing at all wrong with a little unnamed competition, IMO. MAke it clear Romo's the guy, and let everything work itself out. The cream ALWAYS rises.

If it doesn't, it ain't cream.

I don't have a problem with Carr coming in but as I just said in my last post you do not commit to Romo and then bring in a guy to share snaps. As the starter Romo has to get the bulk of the snaps, he has to get the time with the starters. When you have an open competition those snaps are being shared fairly even and time with the starter is shared. If Jones feels Romo is the guy then give him the chance to be the man and the only way that is done is if he is getting the snaps and the work as the starting QB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
tecolote;1376136 said:
You are right about the being hurt thing, but I would probably prefer a guy like Dilfer or Hollcomb to come in and win a few games than a guy like Carr, as for Quincy, I´m just glad that´s over with, whatever happened, I just pray to God it doesn´t happen again.

As I said in another post, sometimes you pick your guy and go with him, and Romo is not nearly the gamble Quincy was.

It is a difference in philosophy. I am of the opinion that you bring in the very best players you can at every position and you create compatition everywhere. I believe the cream rises to the top. There is really no reason that Romo should lose his position to anybody so if you bring in a guy to compete, it shouldn't do anything more then elivate Romo's play. If it does not, then he was not the better player. I don't expect this out of Romo BTW. I expect that he will win the starting job but I also believe that a guy who can win you games in the NFL off the bench is a nice luxury to have. If you can have that, then you might as well take advantage of it. The other thing that you have to remember is that QBs are worth there weight in gold. Look at Philly. If they had not signed Garcia, they never would have beaten us. They never would have made the playoffs. There are going to be teams out there who need QBs. If you have a guy who is the backup and can play, your going to get value out of him. The return on investment alone is reasoning enough IMO.

I understand why you don't like this kind of move but I think the value far exceeds the potential risks here.