who is going to be the backup QB?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
windward;1375928 said:
A 5th for Carr is not bad. I'd consider it.

but why give up a draft pick for a player who probably won't see the field much at all for us? we just need a solid vet who could step in for a couple of games in case Romo gets injured, Anthony Wright or Tim Rattay for example

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
carphalen5150;1376196 said:
Walsh was brought in strictly as a trading chip. Aikman clearly was the future, there was never any competition between them.
carphalen5150;1376236 said:
Jerry and Jimmy say alot of things, but it was clear that Aikman was the guy and it made sense to deal Walsh. You don't draft QBs back to back with first round picks to "solidify" the position. He clearly was a trading chip...my evidence of that is that he was traded. Jimmy and Jerry knew Aikman was the franchise guy, but they could see the value of having Walsh to gather more draft picks.
Aikman wasn't the clear starter. Walsh wasn't drafted to be a trading chip. Jimmy and Jerry didn't know if Aikman was a franchise guy or not. Let's not start rewriting history when others know better.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1376365 said:
I believe in having talent for a backup as well and I have said I want Dallas to bring in a vet as a backup QB I would also like to see us draft a QB in day 2of the draft. What I'm talking about is Romo getting the same type of reps afforded to any starting QB. As for Carr I don't think he wants to be a backup QB which is why I highly doubt he will come to Dallas because that is exactly what his role on the team would be backup and backups do not get near the snaps the starting QB gets.

Well, as I said earlier, we may never get an opportunity to get Carr but unless he has a no trade, doesn't matter what he wants. He can be traded to anybody the Texans see fit to trade him to.

I would also mention that different starting QBs get different ratios of snaps. It is not a standard thing. However, seeing as our new OC was a backup QB, I'm certain he will understand the best way to handle this and that's how it will get done in Dallas.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1376369 said:
but why give up a draft pick for a player who probably won't see the field much at all for us? we just need a solid vet who could step in for a couple of games in case Romo gets injured, Anthony Wright or Tim Rattay for example

Backup QBs are a lot like whole life insurance policies. There only useful if you've had the unfortunate good fortune of dropping dead unexpectedly.

;)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1375939 said:
I think bringing in a Carr is exactly the correct message for Romo. Get better cause if you don't, somebody will definatly be gaining on you.

:lmao2: what are you talking about? Carr sucks

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1376426 said:
Well, as I said earlier, we may never get an opportunity to get Carr but unless he has a no trade, doesn't matter what he wants. He can be traded to anybody the Texans see fit to trade him to.

I would also mention that different starting QBs get different ratios of snaps. It is not a standard thing. However, seeing as our new OC was a backup QB, I'm certain he will understand the best way to handle this and that's how it will get done in Dallas.

It is fairly standard that starting QB are getting the vast majority of the snaps. I agree that the new staff will handle this but I expect to see Romo treated like a starting QB and not yet another QB competition taking place. I think who ever Dallas gets will come here knowing their role as a backup. Sooner or later a team has to stop waffling and make a choice of who is leading their team

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1376378 said:
Aikman wasn't the clear starter. Walsh wasn't drafted to be a trading chip. Jimmy and Jerry didn't know if Aikman was a franchise guy or not. Let's not start rewriting history when others know better.
Aikman was clearly better from the start. Walsh was a rag armed QB who never amounted to anything on the pro level. Career backup, poor starter.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
btw guys, Carr is only 2 years younger than Tim Rattay, and we could get Tim Rattay for free

well, not free, but free of a draft pick

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1376434 said:
It is fairly standard that starting QB are getting the vast majority of the snaps. I agree that the new staff will handle this but I expect to see Romo treated like a starting QB and not yet another QB competition taking place. I think who ever Dallas gets will come here knowing their role as a backup. Sooner or later a team has to stop waffling and make a choice of who is leading their team

But before that happens, they must be convinced that they have a leader that can lead. There is no getting around it Dooms. Romo is still a young QB who has some things he must show before he's accepted as the unquestioned leader of the team.

The whole snap count thing is irrelivant. It will be handled in the correct manner. It's about making sure you have somebody who can step in and play if your starter goes down.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
philo beddoe;1376435 said:
Aikman was clearly better from the start. Walsh was a rag armed QB who never amounted to anything on the pro level. Career backup, poor starter.
I'm sorry did you try to say something intelligent?:lmao:

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1376436 said:
btw guys, Carr is only 2 years younger than Tim Rattay, and we could get Tim Rattay for free

Rattay sucks & he's shorter than Romo. No way.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1376436 said:

There is a reason you can get Ratty for free Summer. Ratty is not a very big guy and he doesn't have a big arm. A lot depends on the offense we run. Ratty, for the most part, is a WCO QB. He may not fit our scheme.

I don't think a 5th is unreasonable for Carr. However, I can see why some people may not like it. I suppose we will have to wait and see how this all rolls out. Besides, I very much doubt that Carr will be available to us for a 5th. As Dooms and others mentioned, there are a few teams that are in need of QBs. I would imagine one of those would make a run at Carr.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
philo beddoe;1376441 said:
Rattay sucks & he's shorter than Romo. No way.

Rattay, 82.6 career QB rating, less INTs than TDs

Carr, 75.5 career QB rating, more INTs than TDs

we're talking about a backup QB here, not someone to push Romo for the starter's job, esp. after Romo gets a big contract

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1376437 said:
But before that happens, they must be convinced that they have a leader that can lead. There is no getting around it Dooms. Romo is still a young QB who has some things he must show before he's accepted as the unquestioned leader of the team.

The whole snap count thing is irrelivant. It will be handled in the correct manner. It's about making sure you have somebody who can step in and play if your starter goes down.

We will find that out as Jerry and Romo will be looking at a long-term contract and if Dallas is going to make an investment then they best give that investment the best chance they can. So the ideal of unquestioned leader is about to be made. I think the Cowboy player know who the leader is I think there are some fans who may question that but I don't think anyone on the Cowboy team question the fact that Romo is the starting QB and leader of this team. I agree with your last statement you want a guy who can step in and take over should your starter go down but I also think the vast majority of backup in this league know what their role is when they signed the contract to become a backup.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1376378 said:
There was not a rookie since Elway that was not a more clear cut starter than Aikman. It was absolutely clear he was going to be the starter.

Now it was brought up that Walsh was drafted to solidify the QB position. So if that was the case then why was he dealt after 89-90? Because his was a valuable trade chip, so they dealt him.

It's not re-writing history, it's right in front of your face.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1376444 said:
There is a reason you can get Ratty for free Summer. Ratty is not a very big guy and he doesn't have a big arm. A lot depends on the offense we run. Ratty, for the most part, is a WCO QB. He may not fit our scheme.

Rattay is available because he's a UFA, and the Texans almost have to get something for Carr since they made him a #1 overall pick, and a former #1 overall pick being shopped around for a 2nd day pick doesn't speak to well about his abilities either

I don't like the thought of giving up a draft pick because we're talking about a backup QB here, it's either you commit to Romo as your franchise QB, or you don't, and bring in someone to 'hopefully' push him

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1376445 said:
Rattay, 82.6 career QB rating, less INTs than TDs

Carr, 75.5 career QB rating, more INTs than TDs

we're talking about a backup QB here, not someone to push Romo for the starter's job, esp. after Romo gets a big contract

David Carr, 75 games started in 5 seasons. Drafted onto the Expansion Texans.

Tim Rattay, 18 games started in 7 seasons. Drafted onto the well established San Francisco 49ers.

It's not as simple as just looking at the stat line Summer.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1376452 said:
David Carr, 75 games started in 5 seasons. Drafted onto the Expansion Texans.

Tim Rattay, 18 games started in 7 seasons. Drafted onto the well established San Francisco 49ers.

It's not as simple as just looking at the state line Summer.

it is when you're talking about a backup QB, Rattay is a proven backup, Carr is a proven failure, and yet you want to give up a pick for him, amazing

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
carphalen5150;1376450 said:
There was not a rookie since Elway that was not a more clear cut starter than Aikman. It was absolutely clear he was going to be the starter.

Now it was brought up that Walsh was drafted to solidify the QB position. So if that was the case then why was he dealt after 89-90? Because his was a valuable trade chip, so they dealt him.

It's not re-writing history, it's right in front of your face.

If what you are saying was true, Walsh would never have been drafted to begin with.

The answer is write in front of our faces, it's just not the answer you want to accept.