Who is most under appreciated player in Cowboys history

kskboys

Reaction score
We do disagree because team success is dependent on QB play. It’s a passing league and you have to have a QB who can play at a very high level if you’re going to consistently compete for a championship. Eight of the last nine winning Super Bowl teams had QBs that will end up in the Hall of Fame. The two QBs who won’t end up in the Hall of Fame that won the Super Bowl in recent years were named Super Bowl MVPs. The Rams gave up 2 number one picks for Matt Stafford and it paid off. The Browns gave up three number one picks for Deshaun Watson which further proves teams are looking for top notch QB play. The game is much different now than when Danny White played. However, had he been a Hall of Fame caliber QB I believe the Cowboys would’ve won at least one Super Bowl with him. He was too mistake prone.
The better your QB is, the less you have to have around him.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’d agree Howley is most under appreciated by NFL and HOF committee but not Cowboy fans .

Remembsr this topic was on a Cowboys Facebook page .
Excellent point.

When asking about under appreciated players, you must ask who is under appreciating them.

kskboys

Reaction score
Chuck Howley. The fact that he is not in the HOF is the greatest injustice done to an NFL player in the league's history.

He could have easily been chosen as the Super Bowl MVP two years in a row. His two takeaways in Super Bowl 6 were pivotal.

As for Romo being under appreciated, did you notice I mentioned Howley's performance in two Super Bowls?

Now can you tell me what it was that I failed to appreciate about Tony Romo that makes him so under appreciated?
Plus, Howley was all pro 5 times. He might be the biggest omission mistake for the HOF.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Romo but only by the Romorooters, not by the fandom as a whole.
You don't make any sense there. He is definitely not underappreciated by Romo rooters. But the fandom as a whole and a good portion of the media does under-appreciate him.

He was the only reason the Cowboys were worth watching during his tenure!

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
You must be thinking of Super Bowl 28 where he had the INT. Emmitt Smith won the MVP in that Super Bowl and he was definitely the right choice. He completely took over the third and fourth quarter of that game. He sucked the life right out of the Bills. He rushed for 132 yards and two TDs.

Yes it was SB 28, thanks for the correction.

From his Wiki page.

One of his most notable performances was in Super Bowl XXVIII when Thurman Thomas, after being tackled by Leon Lett, fumbled the ball, Washington returned it for a 46-yard touchdown to tie the game (13-13).

He also made a team-high 11 tackles, had an interception that eventually became an Emmit Smith touchdown, forced a fumble to set up a field goal and knocked wide receiver Andre Reed to the sidelines for a brief recovery time (sending a message to the Bills receivers). His performance was so dominating, that he received strong MVP consideration.[6]

Dallas had a very sluggish first half, Washington was every where on defense hitting everything and keeping the Bills from breaking things open.

His TD return to start the 2nd half was scintillating, Cowboys were down at halftime 13-6, and set the tone for the entire second half. It was 20-13 to start the 4th and Buffalo started with the ball and it was a Washington pick that set the Cowboys up for the crushing 27-13 Emmitt TD run on 4th down from the 1.

Damn that was a good game and Washington was everywhere, seems to me that the announcers were constantly saying his name.

Never forget this guy when you're thinking of great Dallas history.

Big game James, man.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes it was SB 28, thanks for the correction.

From his Wiki page.

One of his most notable performances was in Super Bowl XXVIII when Thurman Thomas, after being tackled by Leon Lett, fumbled the ball, Washington returned it for a 46-yard touchdown to tie the game (13-13).

He also made a team-high 11 tackles, had an interception that eventually became an Emmit Smith touchdown, forced a fumble to set up a field goal and knocked wide receiver Andre Reed to the sidelines for a brief recovery time (sending a message to the Bills receivers). His performance was so dominating, that he received strong MVP consideration.[6]

Dallas had a very sluggish first half, Washington was every where on defense hitting everything and keeping the Bills from breaking things open.

His TD return to start the 2nd half was scintillating, Cowboys were down at halftime 13-6, and set the tone for the entire second half. It was 20-13 to start the 4th and Buffalo started with the ball and it was a Washington pick that set the Cowboys up for the crushing 27-13 Emmitt TD run on 4th down from the 1.

Damn that was a good game and Washington was everywhere, seems to me that the announcers were constantly saying his name.

Never forget this guy when you're thinking of great Dallas history.

Big game James, man.
I love me some Emmit, but Washington was the MVP of that game, and there was no close 2nd.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
And your stats lie! Danny White taking the team to 3 straight NFCC games is the deal here. That is fact!
yeah that is pretty good, and I know he got beat by montana and that SB team, what were the other 2 ??
people make fun of buffalo, but they are only afc team to ever win 4 champ games in a row!
and they got beat in SB by 3 great nfce teams ! Jimmys dallas team beating them in last 2. at that point buffalo was starting to age and fade a little.
parcells giants team and the wash team with riggins, were the other 2, so often it is luck about who you have to play in champ game or SB.

kskboys

Reaction score
yeah that is pretty good, and I know he got beat by montana and that SB team, what were the other 2 ??
people make fun of buffalo, but they are only afc team to ever win 4 champ games in a row!
and they got beat in SB by 3 great nfce teams ! Jimmys dallas team beating them in last 2. at that point buffalo was starting to age and fade a little.
parcells giants team and the wash team with riggins, were the other 2, so often it is luck about who you have to play in champ game or SB.
If the Pats don't throw a dart at Brady in the 6th round, PManning wins 4-5 super bowls.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
There is not just one, but someone explain to me how a five time all pro and SB MVP is not in the HOF? Chuck Howley.

Chuck Howley and Cornell Green all great picks for underrated in the Landry years, but I also think every offensive lineman not named Rayfield Wright was underrated. They don’t seem to get any credit for all those wins. Ralph Neely, Pat Donovan, John Niland, etc…. Our guys in the 90’s got their due because it was the prime Madden broadcasting years.

Most underrated in the Jimmy years - James Washington and Jay Novacek. Those Super Bowl defenses and offenses never become what they did without those two, but they’ll never get the glory for it.

Since then? Definitely not Romo. There seems to be some type of revisionist history going on with our boy there. Not a bad quarterback at all, but definitely not this superstar held back because of inferior talent and coaching that everyone seems to paint a picture. I’m going with Dexter Coakley and Dat Nguyen. Two of the smallest guys on the field but straight up Ballers. So good in fact that Parcells held off on his 3-4 rebuild.

plasticman

Reaction score
My Turn ... :D

Harvey Martin - well appreciated among fans,.. but not by current club owner or NFL; 1977 Defensive player of the year and still no Ring of Honor, nor NFL Hall of Fame.
Jim Jeffcoat - never a pro bowl but yet among all time leaders in sacks - including ahead of Haley.
Cole Beasley - Flat the best slot receiver we've ever had. opposing 3rd CBs just couldn't hold him- Bracket coverage came along.
Darrin Smith - terrific coverage LB vs TEs and RBs, 11 career INTs
Larry Brown - yet another never a pro bowler yet hold up surprisingly well career wise without idea CB tools.
Demarco Murray - still holds club single season rushing record - even over Emmitt and Dorsett and Walker,
Tom Rafferty - more an OG than center, Tom L used him at center for ages on, and he still held up admirably
Jason Garrett - came in quite dandy and heroic comeback vs a tough Favre- Reggie led Packers team
Good choices all.

plasticman

Reaction score
I'll go a different direction and say guys like Todd Christiansen, Herb Adderly, and Jimmy Smith.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
John Dutton. He played with Randy White and all of those stars but really plugged an important piece in to that defense. I bet most people don’t remember him even.

mrmojo

Reaction score
John Dutton. He played with Randy White and all of those stars but really plugged an important piece in to that defense. I bet most people don’t remember him even.
He was good, but coming over from Baltimore i thought he would be more dominant though.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Mile Hegman, a mainstay at OLB ,after Hollywood, for a long time........