Who is most under appreciated player in Cowboys history

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Danny White had a top notch defense. Some could argue that the defenses White had, were better than the defenses Aikman had. So White losing in those championship games was on him or play calling. Because he had some talented guys on offense too.

75boyz

Reaction score
Disagree that it's Romo. He may be overappreciated by many, especially when I saw him ranked 3rd on all time best Cowboys QBs.

My pick: Jim Jeffcoat. Jim is an all time great pass rusher. He doesn't get his due because most of his career happened when the Cowboys were terrible. How many even know that he had 10.5 sacks in 1992, and was instrumental in the super bowl victory. Also had 6 in 1993, as his career was winding down.

Totally bro. I remember going through that 3 year stretch of losing the NFCCG from 80-82 and drafting Jefcoat in the 1st round of 83 and I knew little of him.

Those mid to late 80s Landry Boys team's had gotten older and weren't as successful as previous years.

But Jeffcoat was a newcomer and you could tell he was a natural pass rusher and put up good numbers on not so great teams, like you said.

I was glad to see he was kept on those 92-93 team's and still played at such a high level as you mentioned.

I thought Haze might do one of those posts about him like he did Thrill Hill. Like you said, over 100 sacks and a truly great Cowboy.

Romo would probably get my runner-up.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You put Dak on the 90s team and they don't win a SB. Back then you could mug the WRs and lay knockout hits on the QB.
:hammer:

He would’ve had the all-time greatest OL in the history of the game protecting him and the NFL’s all-time leading rusher to hand the ball to. Not to mention a Hall of Fame WR and a great defense. He wouldn’t have had to carry those teams like he does this one. No QB took more knockout hits than Troy Aikman but he stayed on the field the majority of the time from 92 to 95. If he could survive so could Dak. He’s as tough as nails.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Long list for me…
  • Frank Clarke- great receiver in the 60s. Had Cowboys first 200+ yard receiving game.
  • Jethro Pugh- played next to Bob Lily for years and was so dependable for 14 seasons. Had 4 straight double digit sack seasons.
  • Cornell Green-a 3 time first team ALL PRO. Played CB and S. Never missed a single game in 13 seasons!
  • John Niland- another 3 time first team ALL PRO at G. Was known in TC to be the only OL who could block Bob Lily.
  • Tony Hill- “Thrill” Hill led the Cowboys in receptions for 9 straight seasons in a ten yr career in Dallas. Made lots of big plays in 70s and early 80s. Had 26 one hundred yard receding games, 2nd only to Michael Irvin.
  • Butch Johnson- the Cowboys “Swiss Army knife” WR of the late 70s and early 80s, who was an excellent slot receiver, punt return and KO returner. Caught a TD in SB XII.
  • Everson Walls- started as rookie UFA in ‘81 and had 11 INTs. Was a 3 time first team ALL PRO. Had 8 seasons in Dallas before winning a ring with Parcells’ giants in 91.
  • Kevin Gogan- one of the few who played for both Landry and Jimmy. Was an OL role player and starter for that great 90s OL.
  • Jim Jeffcoat- drafted in ‘83, he played on some bad teams in the 80s but was able to win 2 SBs under Jimmy. Excellent pass rusher in his day.
  • Moose Johnston- not only a great lead blocker for Emmitt, he was an excellent receiver and STs player for those great 90s teams.
  • Dat Nyguen- undersized LB who was an excellent tackler. Unfortunately played on so many bad teams of the early 2000s.
Probably left out many…

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Your OPINION is trumped by my facts. You must enjoy getting your butt spanked. I must admit I enjoy spanking it. I can do this all day. :laugh:
Grow up kid. Romo and Dak have better passing stats than Danny White. That is a fact.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Romo had a tendency to fold under pressure-the bigger the game, the bigger the chance of a lose as proven by his playoff record and the 3 straight "just win the last game" losses. How was he underappreciated?
Meredith and White were appreciated during their time. They're becoming forgotten over time because they didnt win anything big. I was a huge fan of Meredith but never forgave him for walking away. White got burned by "the catch" but he was appreciated when he played.

for underappreciated I would go more toward Bob Hayes, Chuch Howley, Cornell Green types. Consistent all stars that we took for granted and were ignored by the NFL after they retired
Great post.. Couldn't agree more.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He's not underappreciated.
Just not appreciated.

Dak is appreciated by the Cowboys fans who’ve been around long enough to know what it was like not to have a solid QB. The Cowboys went through a couple of rough stretches in the mid to late 80s and in the early 2000s where they were forced to play musical chairs at QB. That was a miserable experience having to start different QBs every few weeks trying to find an answer. The Steve Pulluer/Gary Hogeboom years were intolerable as were the Quincy Carter years and all his replacements.

Last edited:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Dak is appreciated by the Cowboys fans who’ve been around long enough to know what it was like not to have a solid QB. The Cowboys went through a couple of rough stretches in the mid to late 80s and in the early 2000s where they were forced to play musical chairs at QB. That was a miserable experience having to start different QBs every few weeks trying to find an answer.
True.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Billy Jo Dupree....very athletic....started since almost his rookie year....was a constant on those mid to late 70s teams.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Long list for me…
  • Frank Clarke- great receiver in the 60s. Had Cowboys first 200+ yard receiving game.
  • Jethro Pugh- played next to Bob Lily for years and was so dependable for 14 seasons. Had 4 straight double digit sack seasons.
  • Cornell Green-a 3 time first team ALL PRO. Played CB and S. Never missed a single game in 13 seasons!
  • John Niland- another 3 time first team ALL PRO at G. Was known in TC to be the only OL who could block Bob Lily.
  • Tony Hill- “Thrill” Hill led the Cowboys in receptions for 9 straight seasons in a ten yr career in Dallas. Made lots of big plays in 70s and early 80s. Had 26 one hundred yard receding games, 2nd only to Michael Irvin.
  • Butch Johnson- the Cowboys “Swiss Army knife” WR of the late 70s and early 80s, who was an excellent slot receiver, punt return and KO returner. Caught a TD in SB XII.
  • Everson Walls- started as rookie UFA in ‘81 and had 11 INTs. Was a 3 time first team ALL PRO. Had 8 seasons in Dallas before winning a ring with Parcells’ giants in 91.
  • Kevin Gogan- one of the few who played for both Landry and Jimmy. Was an OL role player and starter for that great 90s OL.
  • Jim Jeffcoat- drafted in ‘83, he played on some bad teams in the 80s but was able to win 2 SBs under Jimmy. Excellent pass rusher in his day.
  • Moose Johnston- not only a great lead blocker for Emmitt, he was an excellent receiver and STs player for those great 90s teams.
  • Dat Nyguen- undersized LB who was an excellent tackler. Unfortunately played on so many bad teams of the early 2000s.
Probably left out many…
Gogan was a big tough guy. It was fun watching him play.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
James Washington. 'Big game James'

Should have been MVP of SB 27 imo

You must be thinking of Super Bowl 28 where he had the INT. Emmitt Smith won the MVP in that Super Bowl and he was definitely the right choice. He completely took over the third and fourth quarter of that game. He sucked the life right out of the Bills. He rushed for 132 yards and two TDs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
John Gesek OG, big part of the Great Wall...

He’s a good choice for this topic. He started for our great 92 team. He and Kevin Gogan along with Derek Kennard get overlooked on our OL. They all three started at one point for our great 90s teams. Everyone remembers Nate Newton, Eric Williams, Mark Tuinei, Larry Allen and Mark Stepnowski. Ray Donaldson started at center for our 95 team.

kskboys

Reaction score
Danny White had a top notch defense. Some could argue that the defenses White had, were better than the defenses Aikman had. So White losing in those championship games was on him or play calling. Because he had some talented guys on offense too.
Uhhhh, no.