Who is most under appreciated player in Cowboys history

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know the sport been following it since 1972 and I don’t believe Danny White was a “stud.” He was a good QB who was 500 in the playoffs. He never won the Cowboys starting job he inherited it.

I don't understand why some still seem to correlate how far you go in the playoffs with how good the quarterback is. History has disproven that.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Uhhhh, no.

Yeah, I wouldn't say better than the Aikman teams had, but the defenses were a strength for several of the years that White was the starter.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't understand why some still seem to correlate how far you go in the playoffs with how good the quarterback is. History has disproven that.

There is some correlation because Brady, Joe Montana and a number of other Hall of Fame QBs have a number of championships. If there was no correlation QBs wouldn’t be drafted as high as they are and they wouldn’t be making the kind of money they make. However, you don’t need a Hall of Fame QB to win a Super Bowl that’s been proven many times. Although it does greatly improve your chances. A great QB puts you in position to win championships a lot more often than lesser QBs. History has proven that.

gimmesix

Reaction score
There is some correlation because Brady, Joe Montana and a number of other Hall of Fame QBs have a number of championships. If there was no correlation QBs wouldn’t be drafted as high as they are and they wouldn’t be making the kind of money they make. However, you don’t need a Hall of Fame QB to win a Super Bowl that’s been proven many times. Although it does greatly improve your chances. A great QB puts you in position to win championships a lot more often than lesser QBs. History has proven that.

Obviously, you have a better shot at winning a title with a top-quality quarterback, but team success is not dependent on the position, especially when we're talking about playoff wins. Danny White benefitted quite a bit from the teams he was on, especially from the good defensive years before those guys aged out.

Now, I agree that you want to have as good of a quarterback as you can get because they do play a role, but some make wins and losses out to be all about the quarterback and it's clearly not.

I don't think we disagree on this, even though we may be saying it differently.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Obviously, you have a better shot at winning a title with a top-quality quarterback, but team success is not dependent on the position, especially when we're talking about playoff wins. Danny White benefitted quite a bit from the teams he was on, especially from the good defensive years before those guys aged out.

Now, I agree that you want to have as good of a quarterback as you can get because they do play a role, but some make wins and losses out to be all about the quarterback and it's clearly not.

I don't think we disagree on this, even though we may be saying it differently.

We do disagree because team success is dependent on QB play. It’s a passing league and you have to have a QB who can play at a very high level if you’re going to consistently compete for a championship. Eight of the last nine winning Super Bowl teams had QBs that will end up in the Hall of Fame. The two QBs who won’t end up in the Hall of Fame that won the Super Bowl in recent years were named Super Bowl MVPs. The Rams gave up 2 number one picks for Matt Stafford and it paid off. The Browns gave up three number one picks for Deshaun Watson which further proves teams are looking for top notch QB play. The game is much different now than when Danny White played. However, had he been a Hall of Fame caliber QB I believe the Cowboys would’ve won at least one Super Bowl with him. He was too mistake prone.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
There are probably lots of guys , but the most recent to me was D. Murray.
Broke jim browns record and OJ's, emmits single game and season I think, hold several cowboy records.
But the media,jones boys and fans just seemed to not see all he did in a short time.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And your stats lie! Danny White taking the team to 3 straight NFCC games is the deal here. That is fact!
The TEAM (loaded with recent ex-SB winning players) took itself to 3 straight NFC Championship Games. The QB simply led it. It doesn't mean he was a better QB than Romo or Dak. FACT!

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
"The Hotel" Flozell Adams was partially deaf in his right ear, which attributed to a lot of false start penalties, but that was easy to overlook because of the way he could dominate the line of scrimmage, run block and pass protect at the LT Position. They called him Hotel because of his enormous size [6'7'' / 340 LB.]. He wasn't great but he was very good.. He was an imposing force that patrolled the Cowboys O-line for 12yrs. [1998 - 2009]. He was selected to 5-Pro Bowls and 1 All-Pro team. Adams wasn't truly appreciated until he was gone, but he'll be remembered as a reliable and solid player that played O-line for the Cowboys at a high level.

Honorable Mentions:
- CB Terrance Newman {2003 - 2011}
- DE Anthony Spencer {2007 - 2014}
- LB Bradie James {2003 - 2011}
- C Andre Gurode {2002 - 2010}
- WR Patrick Crayton {2004 - 2009}
- WR Terry Glenn {2003 - 2007}

plasticman

Reaction score
Chuck Howley. The fact that he is not in the HOF is the greatest injustice done to an NFL player in the league's history.

He could have easily been chosen as the Super Bowl MVP two years in a row. His two takeaways in Super Bowl 6 were pivotal.

As for Romo being under appreciated, did you notice I mentioned Howley's performance in two Super Bowls?

Now can you tell me what it was that I failed to appreciate about Tony Romo that makes him so under appreciated?

quickccc

Reaction score
My Turn ... :D

Harvey Martin - well appreciated among fans,.. but not by current club owner or NFL; 1977 Defensive player of the year and still no Ring of Honor, nor NFL Hall of Fame.
Jim Jeffcoat - never a pro bowl but yet among all time leaders in sacks - including ahead of Haley.
Cole Beasley - Flat the best slot receiver we've ever had. opposing 3rd CBs just couldn't hold him- Bracket coverage came along.
Darrin Smith - terrific coverage LB vs TEs and RBs, 11 career INTs
Larry Brown - yet another never a pro bowler yet hold up surprisingly well career wise without idea CB tools.
Demarco Murray - still holds club single season rushing record - even over Emmitt and Dorsett and Walker,
Tom Rafferty - more an OG than center, Tom L used him at center for ages on, and he still held up admirably
Jason Garrett - came in quite dandy and heroic comeback vs a tough Favre- Reggie led Packers team

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Chuck Howley. The fact that he is not in the HOF is the greatest injustice done to an NFL player in the league's history.

He could have easily been chosen as the Super Bowl MVP two years in a row. His two takeaways in Super Bowl 6 were pivotal.

As for Romo being under appreciated, did you notice I mentioned Howley's performance in two Super Bowls?

Now can you tell me what it was that I failed to appreciate about Tony Romo that makes him so under appreciated?
I’d agree Howley is most under appreciated by NFL and HOF committee but not Cowboy fans .

Remembsr this topic was on a Cowboys Facebook page .

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The TEAM (loaded with recent ex-SB winning players) took itself to 3 straight NFC Championship Games. The QB simply led it. It doesn't mean he was a better QB than Romo or Dak. FACT!
You conveniently adopt the Team-sport mentality when it helps your argument but most of the time you are harping about how your favorite QB of the day put the team on his back and led them to victory. Your argument is so wishy-washy. Give Danny White the credit that is due to him!!! Your unwillingness to do that just proves my point that he is the most unappreciated Cowboy.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You conveniently adopt the Team-sport mentality when it helps your argument but most of the time you are harping about how your favorite QB of the day put the team on his back and led them to victory. Your argument is so wishy-washy. Give Danny White the credit that is due to him!!! Your unwillingness to do that just proves my point that he is the most unappreciated Cowboy.
Quit with your lying. Show everyone here where I have ever said that Dak put the team on his back and led them to victory! Come on, show everyone!

I try to respect everyone on here, but I will not tolerate anyone who outright lies in order to personally attack me. It's too bad you can't handle Dak being this team's franchise QB. He's going to be here for many years to come. Either toughen up and accept it like a grown up, or go follow another team. Acting childish and making up lies is so immature.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Quit with your lying. Show everyone here where I have ever said that Dak put the team on his back and led them to victory! Come on, show everyone!

I try to respect everyone on here, but I will not tolerate anyone who outright lies in order to personally attack me. It's too bad you can't handle Dak being this team's franchise QB. He's going to be here for many years to come. Either toughen up and accept it like a grown up, or go follow another team. Acting childish and making up lies is so immature.
Did I say Dak? No that's your assumption! Have you forgotten what is being argued here? The most underappreciated Cowboys player! That's certainly not Dak. He owns Dallas so how is he underappreciated? I still say it's Danny White so please continue to make my point by underappreciating him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Did I say Dak? No that's your assumption! Have you forgotten what is being argued here? The most underappreciated Cowboys player! That's certainly not Dak. He owns Dallas so how is he underappreciated? I still say it's Danny White so please continue to make my point by underappreciating him.
Quit backpeddling. Own your words...

"most of the time you are harping about how your favorite QB of the day put the team on his back and led them to victory."

Everyone here knows the only QB I give positive reviews about is Dak. You know it as well, hence who you were referring to. Also, your quoted statement is absolutely false because I have never said such a thing about Dak.