Who is the most over rated player in Dallas Cowboys history

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
Dak won those games all by himself? Amazing...... How did he pull off playing 21 other positions all by himself?
Well, QB is the most important player on the field so they get all the credit or criticism, whatever it may be, at least thats what Jimmy Johnson says...

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
wow cant disagree more with top posters point about Witten being average and junk time padding his numbers. Admins can I get 1 exception about the rule where we cant say people are the D word? It rhymes with numb, just once?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
tough question, names that pop into mind Larry Brown, Russell Maryland and honestly even Deoin Sanders a bit, people acted like he was jesus.

bb721

Reaction score
No way he gets into the HOF.

He was above average at best.

Way too slow. Did nothing after the catch and didn't catch a lot of Touchdowns.

Antonio Gates had 116 TD receptions compared to Witten's 74 (in like 17 seasons).
If you don’t think Witten is getting into the HOF it tells me I can ignore all of your future comments because you have no clue what you’re talking about.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak won those games all by himself? Amazing...... How did he pull off playing 21 other positions all by himself?
No one said he beat all those opponents by himself. But he out dueled Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger when he was a rookie. We obviously had a terrific team around him, which is why he was able to have success. We were able to run the ball consistently and our defense was playing well. Had our defense not choked that season in the playoffs, with the game on the line, we might’ve been able to reach the Super Bowl. We certainly would have had a great shot at winning our first divisional round game in a couple of decades. Anytime we’ve run the ball consistently and played solid defense Dak has played well. If you think the Cowboys can just stick in another QB and they’ll be able to carry the team despite no running game and a piss-poor defense that’s being manhandled all day…good luck!

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
If I had to choose, it has to be Troy Aikman. He had about 5 true good/great years and 5 average to bad seasons. One of the most stacked teams of all time, he should have been playing at the level of Steve Young.

Aikman's redeeming quality is that for about 3 postseasons he elevated his game and actually played up to where he was drafted.
Finally a REAL answer.

Prescott is a bad choice: who is "over-rating" him? Most everyone (except a few hero worshipers in here) know him for what he is...a guy that can put up stats and have some really good stretchs in Sept and Oct who folds when it matters.

But I'll say this: I'm not so sure Aikman would do any better, in his prime, with this team.

Aikman had the benefit of playing behind a line, that at the time, was almost like it was from the future with the size and strength and everything. That line had such a HUGE advantage over the typical D Line of that day.. and Aikman hardly ever had to wash his jersey. He would not have excelled in the same conditions Brady, Mahomes, Aaron Rogers, or any of those other greats exvelled under, where they had to be great under fire.

Emmitt Smith too. If he had been drafted by the Seahawks or Dolphins for instance....he just woulda been another guy.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Witten was like Eddie Murray ( mlb ) a compiler. he have 16 catches against the Raiders in a 34 to 10 blowout.

He’s overrated for sure .

Eugene, the no-hitter machine, Lockhart was also overrated.

La Roi Glover overrated

Marcellus Wiley overrated

Both Roy Williams severely overrated.

Charlie Waters was a tad overrated as well.

Demarcus Ware was an overrated Cowboy and borderline compiler- he never dominated a big team in a big spot in a big playoff game until he went to the Broncos.

But the most overrated of all time was Dez Bryant and the we them boys garbage.
An absolute garbage post. No one ever rated Marcellus Wiley as anything when he came to Dallas and played a single season. There were no expectations of him at that time. He was just a dude.

Glover played in Dallas 4 seasons, made 4 pro-bowls and was 2nd team all-pro twice with the Cowboys. He lived up to expectations.

Witten will be in the HoF. He is not overrated. In this era of easy access to stats, why post bogus hypothetical stats to make a point? Witten didn't have big numbers in blow out losses. It is easy to look up.

Ware was an amazing player. A Hall of Famer. One of the best to ever play the game for Dallas.

kskboys

Reaction score
If you understand the challenge he faces & you support him (as you've said), then I don't understand why you question giving him opportunities. We should all be hoping for him to overcome.
Yet, you don’t do the same for Dak lol. And i don’t expect you to. You don’t think Dak has it right? Fair. So I don’t expect you to put your confidence in him to the side and blindly think he can do something you know he can’t. You then have an inferior player in Lance but you want to give him grace and expect others to? Naw lol.
This is not a Dak thread, guys.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And ZERO rings and NFC Championships
So, you think the TE alone makes an NFL team what it is? Nothing else matters huh?

Zach Martin also has no rings or NFC Championships. Tyron Smith too. DeMarcus Ware didn't with Dallas. Or TO or Travis Frederick. Are all of these players only "a little above average"?

You know who else has no rings or conference championships? Tony Gonzales. And most consider him in the argument with Gronk and Kelce as the best ever.

kskboys

Reaction score
or 5 yards short ...
That was during the time Romo had horrific protection, where the defenders were in the backfield at the snap. He dumped to Witten short because he had no choice.

You do know that receivers run the predetermined routes, right? I mean, I have no idea why you'd want to proclaim he was 5 yds short when it was blatantly obvious he was running his route and Romo had no time to throw to the markers, right?

kskboys

Reaction score
So, you think the TE alone makes an NFL team what it is? Nothing else matters huh?

Zach Martin also has no rings or NFC Championships. Tyron Smith too. DeMarcus Ware didn't with Dallas. Or TO or Travis Frederick.

Are all of these players only "a little above average"?
Barry Sanders, Ladainian, Andre Johnson, and of course Dan Marino.

Using that as a barometer for greatness is so lame it's hard to put it into words.

tomokawan

Reaction score
Two guys come to mind. Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson is the first. Fans loved him because he was flashy. But he was a headache for the coaching staff and most of his team mates.

Brace yourself for the next one!!!

Duane Thomas. Lasted two seasons. Fans loved him because he was a SB MVP gaining 90 odd yards in that game. But he was not coachable and a terrible team mate. Actually a Cowboy contemporary of his named Calvin Hill had a much better career as a RB. Folks have forgotten Hill. Sadly Thomas passed away just a few days ago. I am really glad that he changed into a very nice person later in his life.
LOL. Duane Thomas was far from overrated.

tomokawan

Reaction score
Felix Jones
Julius Jones
Mike Jenkins
Mo Claiborne
Terence Newman
Brandon Carr
Terence Williams
Davis (offensive lineman FA from Arizona)
Antonio Bryant

Those are my guys that I felt were good starters but way overrated by fans and the FO.
Heck of a list and add McFadden to it as well.

hopemsu

Reaction score
Troy Aikman. a player can be good but also overated at the same time.

Fortunately for them, the QB gets the credit even when the nucleus, coaches, defense etc.. around him is really really good and the team wins multiple super bowls. It is really the only thing that is separating a player like Romo and Dak from a player like Mahomes or Brady. Dan Marino was light years better than Terry Bradshaw. But win a few superbowls, and QBs get very much overated. The average person doesn't know how good the chiefs defense has been the last half decade but they remember Mahomes.