Who is the most over rated player in Dallas Cowboys history

kskboys

Reaction score
really Witten? he was solid. he wasn't spactacular in what he did, but he got it done. he is a HOFer and constant precence at pro-bowls. very surprised you chose this.

btw, read through many posts and the posters show their age. a lot of recent candidates.....nothing wrong, just an observations.

there are several candidates that could be considered over rated, Greg Ellis, Bobby Carpenter, Dez Bryant, Roy Williams, Dwayne Goodrich, few others....
I would say the most over rated is Williams, drafted to be Woodson's successor and they didn't want to pass on the next Ronnie Lott, the guy got burned constantly.
Witten is the best chain moving TE of all time.

For a player to be overrated, many have to be thinking of him as really good. Among those you listed, exactly who is thinking of them as really good?

kskboys

Reaction score
I only think he was overrated by the Vikings, thinking he was the final piece to get them a SB. So in that line of thinking, you may be correct!
Oh, IDK, there's some fans here a while back who were insisting he should be in the HOF. No joke.

kskboys

Reaction score
Witten is on the list of the most underrated by Cowboys fans. I mean, if you think Witten was average, you really need to pick a different sport to follow, because you just don't get NFL football.

Witten = Emmit. Same type player.

jjtrcka22

Reaction score
No way he gets into the HOF.

He was above average at best.

Way too slow. Did nothing after the catch and didn't catch a lot of Touchdowns.

Antonio Gates had 116 TD receptions compared to Witten's 74 (in like 17 seasons).
Go watch some of his younger highlights. He had plenty of speed. There was a play against Washington where he out ran DBs for a touchdown. He was also a great route runner.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Wow, I'm seeing some ridiculous Witten haters out there. I have to laugh at that. I agree with Dez being the most overrated and that's not hate. I love Dez but he was always overhyped. Maybe a bad call has a lot to do with it.

Cmac

Reaction score
Without a doubt Jason Witten.

That guy was a little above average at best. His last 3 or 4 years were terrible as he somehow slowed down.

Stats were always padded by garbage time.
......now you really done it. You in trouble. They're coming for you.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don't ignore it. That's a big part in why I don't think Lance will be more than what he is. I think when it comes to a quarterback development you can't skip the baby steps. I think the amount of football he's played is a detriment to him and the career he will have. It seems like some of you guys think this is just a small minor thing. There just aren't any examples of someone who didn't play much football just all of a sudden overcoming that and going on to be a franchise QB.

To me its like teaching someone how to skate who doesn't know how to walk.
If you understand the challenge he faces & you support him (as you've said), then I don't understand why you question giving him opportunities. We should all be hoping for him to overcome.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If you understand the challenge he faces & you support him (as you've said), then I don't understand why you question giving him opportunities. We should all be hoping for him to overcome.
Yet, you don’t do the same for Dak lol. And i don’t expect you to. You don’t think Dak has it right? Fair. So I don’t expect you to put your confidence in him to the side and blindly think he can do something you know he can’t. You then have an inferior player in Lance but you want to give him grace and expect others to? Naw lol.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Without a doubt Jason Witten.

That guy was a little above average at best. His last 3 or 4 years were terrible as he somehow slowed down.

Stats were always padded by garbage time.
HECK NO......blashemy no doubt makes it false!

Fine its Aikman he's brock Purdy ie All in Loaded team surrounded by generational talent and yet still has sad stats for HOF qb.. now what!!

think if he ended up on Cleveland or bad team like could have been at best a baker Mayfield. say all you want about Dak and Romo but give them those offenses, defense, sts and coaching staffs that troy and roger had i bet those teams still do what they did..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yet, you don’t do the same for Dak lol. And i don’t expect you to. You don’t think Dak has it right? Fair. So I don’t expect you to put your confidence in him to the side and blindly think he can do something you know he can’t. You then have an inferior player in Lance but you want to give him grace and expect others to? Naw lol.
Go ahead let's do an experiment get a time machine let's go put Prescott and Romo on Roger and troy's teams and see how they do I'd say those teams don't miss a beat these are very talented quarterbacks that are not on very talented teams... It's the way they talk about guys like Brock Purdy or if you have a guy like say Matthew Stafford it couldn't win **** without help but instantly they add him to a team that's all in full of great talent and he wins the Super bowl how's that differ from Troy I mean you can say all you want about them but Troy being surrounded by generational talent and still put up Jag type numbers and don't say it because they didn't ask him too I'm talking about his touchdown interception ratio where he had years where he had like 13 touchdowns and 10 interceptions I mean that's like Quincy Carter numbers being on a team with generational talent... That's all I'm saying I'm not trying to put down Troy but I'm gonna put Troy on that list because I'm tired of hearing about Prescott and Romo not getting it done when Troy had to be carried in most of those games I remember where he had us down in one of the Super bowls because he had an interception he was throwing balls all over the place and they had to come out the defense got a interception I think they scored on it or got close and then the run game kicked in Troy just sat back and make sure he handed the ball off correctly made a few passes here and there and they got back in the game and won it....

McKDaddy

Reaction score
You are just being silly. Even though I was one of, if not the very first, to point out Dak's shortcomings, it was in the hopes that he could correct them and that some of the anointing oil so many were pouring out might be shelved in the light of facts. I have given him credit for areas where he has improved but at the end of the day enough time passed and it became obvious he just was never going to be "that guy". There will come a point where enough time & opportunities have been given Lance and if he hasn't risen to the level it will be fair to say so.

It's been obvious all along you don't really support Lance not because of anything he has or hasn't done but simply because in your mind you are defending Dak against some great injustice I or anyone else has served up by simply speaking the truth about him.