Who is the most over rated player in Dallas Cowboys history

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
His numbers aren't that great but Troy was usually great in the postseason which, to me, tells all. We don't have that now and haven't in some time.
Our teams were great in the postseason back then. A great running game and great defense. Troy didn’t have to do a whole lot in postseason, but when he had to make a play he did. In 16 playoff games he only had four 300 yard games and we lost one of those.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to go through the comments about our beloved warrior, you may could have picked someone else. Seems like you're basing this off his last several years, may not be fair!

I do agree with his slowness. It was so damn painful seeing us have 3rd and 9 and we hit him with the safe 3 yard pass with him getting no YAC but only about 4 guys trying to take him down lol
IN his prime...Witten knew where the 1st down marker was and would be there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
As far as Romo goes I’d have to say 2014 @ Seattle. That was a good win.
You were talking about beating a far superior opponent. The Cowboys had a terrific football team in 2014. Both us and Seattle ended up 12-4. They weren’t far superior to us. The Cowboys were riding a four game winning streak heading into that game. We ran all over Seattle for over 160 yards. DeMarco Murray had a big game and our defense was terrific. All Romo had to do was play steady and not make mistakes. In 2016 Dak beat Aaron Rodgers at Lambeau Field. No one gave us a chance in that game. Dak also out dueled Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh in 2016. That was another game that we were underdogs in. Dak was outstanding in both games. Those were signature wins against a couple of future Hall of Fame QBs. Dak had a great chance to beat Rodgers in the playoffs that year, but our defense choked with the game on the line.

Last edited:

aikemirv

Reaction score
Dak and I don't believe its particularly close either. If we're playing a bully I can't think of a marquee player I've seen in my viewing lifetime that I trust less to deliver than Dak.
While he has good stats, I don't think he is overrated. I don't think that many out there really believe he is that good. His stats just put him in the discussion. If he played anywhere else he would get Kirk Cousins treatment at the best!

aikemirv

Reaction score
Romo was actually one of the most critisized players ever on ESPN and beaten on my most all non-Cowboy fans due to the disparaging coverage by ESPN. Every 4th qtr Int he ever threw was shown over and over again ever though he has the best 4th qtr rating of his time. Overrated only possibly by Romo fans like me. One of my favorite players ever to watch. He just made it fun. He gave you a chance to win every game if you got him to the 4th qtr within a score or two

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You are just being silly. Even though I was one of, if not the very first, to point out Dak's shortcomings, it was in the hopes that he could correct them and that some of the anointing oil so many were pouring out might be shelved in the light of facts. I have given him credit for areas where he has improved but at the end of the day enough time passed and it became obvious he just was never going to be "that guy". There will come a point where enough time & opportunities have been given Lance and if he hasn't risen to the level it will be fair to say so.

It's been obvious all along you don't really support Lance not because of anything he has or hasn't done but simply because in your mind you are defending Dak against some great injustice I or anyone else has served up by simply speaking the truth about him.
I feel like four years is enough time to determine what someone will be in the league.

I support Lance in doing well. I just don’t think he will.

For the record I have no issue with no one who doesn’t support Dak because of his playoff woes. Anything other than though I think is off based. I defend Dak lies. If you would say the truth like he sucks in the playoffs I have nothing to say on that because it’s true. But if you want me to believe he’s a bad quarterback I’m just not gonna agree.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Romo was actually one of the most critisized players ever on ESPN and beaten on my most all non-Cowboy fans due to the disparaging coverage by ESPN. Every 4th qtr Int he ever threw was shown over and over again ever though he has the best 4th qtr rating of his time. Overrated only possibly by Romo fans like me. One of my favorite players ever to watch. He just made it fun. He gave you a chance to win every game if you got him to the 4th qtr within a score or two
Romo while he played I agree. Romo in retirement has been overrated.

Teeroy

Reaction score
You guys really need to look up the definition of overrated.

Honestly, how do you not know what overrated means?
I know exactly what it means you might need to look up sarcasm when people think Jason Witten is overrated, I think the everyone on here was being been sarcastic.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
You were talking about beating a far superior opponent. The Cowboys had a terrific football team in 2014. Both us and Seattle ended up 12-4. They weren’t far superior to us. The Cowboys were riding a four game winning streak heading into that game. We ran all over Seattle for over 160 yards. DeMarco Murray had a big game and our defense was terrific. All Romo had to do was play steady and not make mistakes. In 2016 Dak beat Aaron Rodgers at Lambeau Field. No one gave us a chance in that game. Dak also out dueled Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh in 2016. That was another game that we were underdogs in. Dak was outstanding in both games. Those were signature wins against a couple of future Hall of Fame QBs. Dak had a great chance to beat Rodgers in the playoffs that year, but our defense choked with the game on the line.
Dak won those games all by himself? Amazing...... How did he pull off playing 21 other positions all by himself?

erod

Reaction score
Without a doubt Jason Witten.

That guy was a little above average at best. His last 3 or 4 years were terrible as he somehow slowed down.

Stats were always padded by garbage time.
Oh my gawd, no. You must not have seen his first 10 years.

starfan1

Reaction score
I'm thinking if we changed the thread title to "most hated" then a lot of these responses would be appropriate. Dak, Romo nor Witten IMO shouldnt be in an over rated discussion. Overachiever may be more fitting if you go by where they were drafted.

But then again our fan base is a bit OVER dramatic