Who is your starter at RB?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I believe Morris will start and it's what I prefer as well.

Morris breaks a lot of 15-25 yard runs he has good vision and instincts. He's able to work his way through traffic to free himself. I think he's going to be a very good addition behind our OL who could very well end up starting.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I think McFadden will still start. He looked good last year. Seems like Morris has been slowing down the last 2 years like most people say.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think McFadden will still start. He looked good last year. Seems like Morris has been slowing down the last 2 years like most people say.

His numbers have declined each season but he's still been more productive than McFadden was prior to him signing with the Cowboys. He's put up 29 rushing TD's since 2012 and McFadden has only put up 12 rushing TD's over that period. The Cowboys only had 8 rushing TD's last season compared to 16 rushing TD's in 2014. Morris behind the Cowboys OL could be pretty significant in 2016.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Who is your starter at RB?
The guy who is in the backfield on the first offensive snap, but why does it matter......

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What I would do is use Morris on first-and-10. If he gets us to second-and-6 or better and third-and-3 or better, he stays in. If he doesn't, McFadden comes in.

That way defenses have to key on Morris in the more obvious running situations, which opens things up for the passing game, while in the more obvious passing situations, we can still hand the ball to McFadden but he's also more of a receiving threat.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I like the Morris signing better than I did the McFadden signing last year. Although Morris' numbered have gone down each year he's been far more productive than McFadden the past 4 years.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What I would do is use Morris on first-and-10. If he gets us to second-and-6 or better and third-and-3 or better, he stays in. If he doesn't, McFadden comes in.

That way defenses have to key on Morris in the more obvious running situations, which opens things up for the passing game, while in the more obvious passing situations, we can still hand the ball to McFadden but he's also more of a receiving threat.

One of the big problems last season is we found ourselves in a lot of the long yardage situations. Both times Romo was injured came in long yardage situations where the defense could pin their ears back and come after him.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Morris breaks a lot of 15-25 yard runs he has good vision and instincts. He's able to work his way through traffic to free himself. I think he's going to be a very good addition behind our OL who could very well end up starting.

Morris is similar to Murray in that he turns 2 yard runs into 4-5 yard runs. That is something DMC doesn't do well. Morris is more of the downhill, one cut runner this offense needs.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does anybody think Morris can be a productive receiver? If he can I'd like to see what he can do as the starter here with a heavy workload. Downhill, smashmouth football but he's got to be able to catch the checkdowns and protect the quarterback.

Plankton

Reaction score
Does anybody think Morris can be a productive receiver? If he can I'd like to see what he can do as the starter here with a heavy workload. Downhill, smashmouth football but he's got to be able to catch the checkdowns and protect the quarterback.

He has never caught more than 17 passes in a season in both college and the pros. It's hard to think that this was just a coincidence.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He has never caught more than 17 passes in a season in both college and the pros. It's hard to think that this was just a coincidence.

Right and that's my conclusion too. It's not a coincidence.

But with this crack coaching staff I wouldn't be surprised if you see him motioned out wide in the opener and running deep seam routes.

Plankton

Reaction score
Right and that's my conclusion too. It's not a coincidence.

But with this crack coaching staff I wouldn't be surprised if you see him motioned out wide in the opener and running deep seam routes.

I guess that opens up Rod Smith's roster spot then, huh?

jnday

Reaction score
Morris is similar to Murray in that he turns 2 yard runs into 4-5 yard runs. That is something DMC doesn't do well. Morris is more of the downhill, one cut runner this offense needs.

At one time, that was true. I have not been impressed with Morris in a while . I had rather see two RBs drafted and go young at the position than use these retreads.