Who is your starter at RB?

rpntex

Reaction score
When I say Turbin type I mean he is basically free. No picks or high salary but someone cut loose but isn't a liability in the passing game. Someone like Reggie Bush or Joique Bell.

No worries. Got it now.

rpntex

Reaction score
His numbers have declined each season but he's still been more productive than McFadden was prior to him signing with the Cowboys. He's put up 29 rushing TD's since 2012 and McFadden has only put up 12 rushing TD's over that period. The Cowboys only had 8 rushing TD's last season compared to 16 rushing TD's in 2014. Morris behind the Cowboys OL could be pretty significant in 2016.

In today's NFL, you're only as good as your last game (or last season), and McFadden has the edge there. Therefore, it will be his job to lose. That doesn't mean Morris won't have a chance to take it away from him, though.

Personally, I hope DMac gets the lion's share of carries (60-70%) for the first three quarters, then Morris brings it home against worn out defense's in the fourth. Morris is better suited (physically) for that game plan to be successful. Even in going 4-12, Dallas would have won a lot more if the game was only 3 quarters long.

rpntex

Reaction score
Does anybody think Morris can be a productive receiver? If he can I'd like to see what he can do as the starter here with a heavy workload. Downhill, smashmouth football but he's got to be able to catch the checkdowns and protect the quarterback.

Word on him is that he has brick hands. That's from a friend of mine who's a skins fan. Caught all of 10 passes last season.

I'm sure he'll get every chance to prove my friend wrong, and hopefully he will. Otherwise, his role is going to be very limited, regardless of how well he runs the ball.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
McFadden or Morris?

I haven't watched too much of Morris except when the Cowboys played the skins. I know he's a good downhill runner but I'm not too sure how well he can block. If it turns out McFadden is the better blocker, maybe Morris starts and DMC comes in on 3rd down and passing situations.

Either way, I see them evenly splitting carries as the skill set each one brings is different. DMC is speed and Morris is power. I think whoever is the better blocker and who can pick up the blitz better will be the 3rd down back, as bass ackwards as that seems.

Whichever plays better in camp and preseason...McFadden is the starter when camp opens---after that, it shakes out based on play.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I can see McFadden as the starter and Morris as the closer, much like Marion Barber was. It will be great to watch him grind down the opposing D in the 4th quarter.

I'd rather Morris wear them down and then DMC bust out the big runs but I guess it makes less sense.

Also isn't Alfred Morris considered a really good blocker? I mean he WAS a projected fullback in the NFL

dfense

Reaction score
I can tell you who the goal line back is probably going to be. AM

Alohawg1

Reaction score
Morris and Mcfadden have the potential as a nice change of pace duo. Both can play an important role. How about dub them the M&M boys?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In today's NFL, you're only as good as your last game (or last season), and McFadden has the edge there. Therefore, it will be his job to lose. That doesn't mean Morris won't have a chance to take it away from him, though.

Personally, I hope DMac gets the lion's share of carries (60-70%) for the first three quarters, then Morris brings it home against worn out defense's in the fourth. Morris is better suited (physically) for that game plan to be successful. Even in going 4-12, Dallas would have won a lot more if the game was only 3 quarters long.

McFadden only had an edge last season due to playing behind the Cowboys OL. In the 3 previous seasons Morris had a big edge with 1000 yard seasons and 28 TD's. Although Morris had a down season in 2015 his numbers last season are still better than McFadden's numbers were in 2014 prior to him signing with the Cowboys. I'm more enthused about the signing of Morris than I was about the signing of McFadden. Morris has been very durable not having missed a game over his 4 year career. I saw enough of McFadden last season to know we're not going to have an efficient running game with him getting the lion's share of the carries.

I would rather see Morris receive the lion's share based on his yards and TD's over his career. He can get through traffic and pop outside for some nice runs. He's proven he can put TD's on the board but he's a rhythm back who needs carries. He had an excellent game in the opener last season vs Miami rushing for 121 yards averaging 4.8 a carry then his carries dropped off. He had 100 yards vs the Cowboys in the season finale averaging 5.3 a carry.

He had a few games where he could have been very productive but didn't receive many carries. If given enough carries I think he could be excellent behind the Cowboys OL. If you give him a crack he can pop through for some nice gains. He had runs last season of 35, 28, 48 and 23 yards. Every season he breaks off some nice runs. I've seen him get out of some tight spots and break free. I believe he'll end up being our best pickup this offseason.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Based on exactly what?

Injury history? Salary? Off the field problems? Locker room issues? Poor play last year?

He isn't going anywhere.

Let me expand...

We prefer to run a zone blocking scheme, but had to switch to power blocking to accommodate DMC. Morris is better in a ZBS. Additionally only $200k is guaranteed on DMC's contract and a 2mil cap saving is we cut.

So,Morris is your 1st & 2nd down back and Dunbar your 3rd down pass catching back. Also prob will draft a rook that will get some time. DMC is the odd man out.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think DMC may be cut.

That's not going to happen he was our most productive back last season and is going to be part of the committee we have at RB in 2016. We also need him for depth.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
That's not going to happen he was our most productive back last season and is going to be part of the committee we have at RB in 2016. We also need him for depth.

That's why we picked up Morris and will draft an RB as well.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's why we picked up Morris and will draft an RB as well.

We picked up Morris to add a one-two punch with McFadden. If we draft an RB they're still going to have to prove they can play. With the issues we had at RB last season we need at least 3 backs. Dunbar was lost for the season last year then Randle was injured and had to be released due to off the field issues. It forced us to have to trade for CMike who we ended up releasing and we had to bring in Turbin who's now in Indy. I can assure you McFadden isn't going anywhere.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
We picked up Morris to add a one-two punch with McFadden. If we draft an RB they're still going to have to prove they can play. With the issues we had at RB last season we need at least 3 backs. Dunbar was lost for the season last year then Randle was injured and had to be released due to off the field issues. It forced us to have to trade for CMike who we ended up releasing and we had to bring in Turbin. I can assure you McFadden isn't going anywhere.

Morris is not a change of pace back and you really need two different blocking schemes for each. If he beats out DMC as the starter and we draft an RB I believe DMC is gone.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Morris is not a change of pace back and you really need two different blocking schemes for each. If he beats out DMC as the starter and we draft an RB I believe DMC is gone.

You don't need a change of pace back just a solid rotation. McFadden isn't going anywhere.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We'll see.

Yes we will and if there's going to be an odd man out it's going to be Dunbar. He provided a lot in the passing game early last season before he was injured so it could come down to him and a back the Cowboys draft. If we draft an RB who provides a threat as a runner and receiver it could be adios to Dunbar who's coming off a significant knee injury.