Who is your starter at RB?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me expand...

We prefer to run a zone blocking scheme, but had to switch to power blocking to accommodate DMC. Morris is better in a ZBS. Additionally only $200k is guaranteed on DMC's contract and a 2mil cap saving is we cut.

So,Morris is your 1st & 2nd down back and Dunbar your 3rd down pass catching back. Also prob will draft a rook that will get some time. DMC is the odd man out.

Week 1 RB depth chart:

DMC
Morris
Dunbar
Rook

rpntex

Reaction score
McFadden only had an edge last season due to playing behind the Cowboys OL. In the 3 previous seasons Morris had a big edge with 1000 yard seasons and 28 TD's. Although Morris had a down season in 2015 his numbers last season are still better than McFadden's numbers were in 2014 prior to him signing with the Cowboys. I'm more enthused about the signing of Morris than I was about the signing of McFadden. Morris has been very durable not having missed a game over his 4 year career. I saw enough of McFadden last season to know we're not going to have an efficient running game with him getting the lion's share of the carries.

I would rather see Morris receive the lion's share based on his yards and TD's over his career. He can get through traffic and pop outside for some nice runs. He's proven he can put TD's on the board but he's a rhythm back who needs carries. He had an excellent game in the opener last season vs Miami rushing for 121 yards averaging 4.8 a carry then his carries dropped off. He had 100 yards vs the Cowboys in the season finale averaging 5.3 a carry.

He had a few games where he could have been very productive but didn't receive many carries. If given enough carries I think he could be excellent behind the Cowboys OL. If you give him a crack he can pop through for some nice gains. He had runs last season of 35, 28, 48 and 23 yards. Every season he breaks off some nice runs. I've seen him get out of some tight spots and break free. I believe he'll end up being our best pickup this offseason.

Well, you said it… McFadden had the edge last season. For whatever reason, he did, and for that reason he is the starter until somebody else takes the job from him after all that's the fair way to approach it anyway. You don't give the job to somebody you just signed when a returning vet is a 1000 yard runner from the previous season. As I said, Morris will have every opportunity to take the job from him, and if it works out that way, then so be it. My only reason for helping McFadden gets the majority of carries is so that both backs can be effective. McFadden has shown (last season as a matter of fact) that when he carries the ball a minimal number of times he's not very effective. On the other hand, when he carried the ball 15+ times last season, he was extremely effective. Morris, on the other hand can be very effective on 10 carries a game or there abouts. Neither back is good for 30 carries a game, so it's imperative for them both be able to run the ball effectively. That means it's necessary for McFadden to get a good dose of carries every game.

Another thing you have to remember, Morris has never been much of a pass receiver. I have a friend who's a Commanders fan, who says he has "brick hands". If he's not reliable as a receiver, that's going to limit his number of snaps anyway. That's one more reason I think we'll see McFadden getting a good chunk of the playing time.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I don't think it matters. Like the start of last year, with Dunbar back, they're going to be going pretty heavily by committee.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Well, you said it… McFadden had the edge last season. For whatever reason, he did, and for that reason he is the starter until somebody else takes the job from him after all that's the fair way to approach it anyway. You don't give the job to somebody you just signed when a returning vet is a 1000 yard runner from the previous season. As I said, Morris will have every opportunity to take the job from him, and if it works out that way, then so be it. My only reason for helping McFadden gets the majority of carries is so that both backs can be effective. McFadden has shown (last season as a matter of fact) that when he carries the ball a minimal number of times he's not very effective. On the other hand, when he carried the ball 15+ times last season, he was extremely effective. Morris, on the other hand can be very effective on 10 carries a game or there abouts. Neither back is good for 30 carries a game, so it's imperative for them both be able to run the ball effectively. That means it's necessary for McFadden to get a good dose of carries every game.

Another thing you have to remember, Morris has never been much of a pass receiver. I have a friend who's a Commanders fan, who says he has "brick hands". If he's not reliable as a receiver, that's going to limit his number of snaps anyway. That's one more reason I think we'll see McFadden getting a good chunk of the playing time.

I said McFadden had the edge last season due to the OL he was running behind. A great back would have put up 1500+ behind our OL and double digit TD's. McFadden didn't begin last season as the starter and only became the starter when Randel was injured and then released due to off the field issues. McFadden has an injury history so what are the odds he stays healthy next season after coming off a career high in carries? No one is going to hand Morris the starting job but he has been very durable not having missed a game in his 4 seasons so if he looks good this summer the Cowboys would certainly have to consider starting him.

Doesn't really matter who starts anyway I see both McFadden and Morris splitting the load with the Cowboys going with the hot hand in certain games. If one of them is making plays you stay with them until they cool down. I didn't see enough consistency from McFadden last season despite his 1000 yards to continue giving him the brunt of the carries. He was up and down as the starter with a solid game one week and under 3.0 a carry the next week. He doesn't score many TD's and was awful in some games especially against Tampa where he averaged under 2.0 a carry.

Personally I think Morris is the better "runner" he makes defenders miss unlike McFadden who looks stiff at times and he comes out of piles making some nice runs and can score. Neither Morris or McFadden is a great back so you rotate them to keep them fresh and hopefully healthy. As for a receiver Morris hasn't excelled in that area but we have Dunbar who was terrific as a receiver last season until his was injured and McFadden can also provide a receiving threat.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You have to look at Morris as a better replacement for Randle. We entered last season with Randle, McFadden and Dunbar. If the Cowboys draft an RB Dunbar would be on the hot seat. He signed a cheap one year deal and with him still rehabbing a significant knee injury his job is anything but secure.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
Let me expand...

We prefer to run a zone blocking scheme, but had to switch to power blocking to accommodate DMC. Morris is better in a ZBS. Additionally only $200k is guaranteed on DMC's contract and a 2mil cap saving is we cut.

So,Morris is your 1st & 2nd down back and Dunbar your 3rd down pass catching back. Also prob will draft a rook that will get some time. DMC is the odd man out.
I'm sorry but Dunbar isn't half the player McFadden is and never will be.

rwalters31

Reaction score
McFadden or Morris?

I haven't watched too much of Morris except when the Cowboys played the skins. I know he's a good downhill runner but I'm not too sure how well he can block. If it turns out McFadden is the better blocker, maybe Morris starts and DMC comes in on 3rd down and passing situations.

Either way, I see them evenly splitting carries as the skill set each one brings is different. DMC is speed and Morris is power. I think whoever is the better blocker and who can pick up the blitz better will be the 3rd down back, as bass ackwards as that seems.

My running back is Emmit Smith, He was a three down back.

jnday

Reaction score
My running back is Emmit Smith, He was a three down back.

I know that the Emmits of the world is rare, but Dallas has never won a Super Bowl without a great RB. Fans fail to realize that this offense requires that type of RB to be at it's best. The current RBs on the current roster are nothing more than average retreads and the RB position will hurt this team again this next season if they don't draft an upgrade . I have never seen a RB like have the stats that DMac had and those stats didn't translate to to any wins on the field . He is a no impact type of player and Morris or Dunbar won't make a difference either .

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
McFadden has better hands, so him for now. Morris after that.

Just run them both. Whoever is killing it each game, let them keep running it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, pencils down.

The correct answer is - "If healthy, Lance Dunbar".

Grade it.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I know that the Emmits of the world is rare, but Dallas has never won a Super Bowl without a great RB. Fans fail to realize that this offense requires that type of RB to be at it's best. The current RBs on the current roster are nothing more than average retreads and the RB position will hurt this team again this next season if they don't draft an upgrade . I have never seen a RB like have the stats that DMac had and those stats didn't translate to to any wins on the field . He is a no impact type of player and Morris or Dunbar won't make a difference either .

Won't matter who is at rb. We aren't anywhere near winning a SB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Won't matter who is at rb. We aren't anywhere near winning a SB.

The Cowboys aren't near winning a SB but to at least contend and make the playoffs it does matter who they have at RB. If we're not more consistent running the ball in 2016 especially in short yardage/redzone situations it's all going to fall on Romo and nothing good ever comes from that. Put a dynamic runner behind the Cowboys OL and Romo stays healthy it would make them much closer to the team they were in 2014 than the disaster we saw in 2015.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't near winning a SB but to at least contend and make the playoffs it does matter who they have at RB. If we're not more consistent running the ball in 2016 especially in short yardage/redzone situations it's all going to fall on Romo and nothing good ever comes from that. Put a dynamic runner behind the Cowboys OL and Romo stays healthy it would make them much closer to the team they were in 2014 than the disaster we saw in 2015.

Contend to win the NFC East. Otay. If that gets you excited to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs. And to be close to that 2014 team, where Romo had a career year, and Murray ran for 1,800 yds. Our d was what, top 5 in turnovers created.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw an article that quoted Morris' agent talking about how he needs an abundance of carries to get into the flow and get going. As any back does to one degree or another, IMO. Then mentioned what a good fit the Cowboys scheme is for him.

The problem with that is he may not get those carries here. This is why I hate these rotations. You implement one because you don't have true starter talent and then you short change each back and prevent any from getting into a real rhythm and maximizing the ability they do have.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Horses for courses.

This team, this offense, this coach are all built for a strong running game.

Why spend all those 1st round picks on the OL? NE showed anyone can pass block for 2 seconds.

DMurray was a perfect fit for this offense. DMC is not. Morris might be a better one-cut downfield type, but we need a stud RB this draft or next.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Contend for what?

CCBoy

Reaction score

McFadden had a ton of receptions and was the 4th leading NFC rusher with not starting six games. As to Morris, he is second only to Peterson as to total yards over the past four seasons...yea, a huge upgrade is needed for right now.