Who's it going to be, Towns or Okafor at #1?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
too much money in Melo's pockets for that... they have to start winning... not to mention they will sign a free agent or two this year.

if we had a 2016 first round pick, I'd deal him to Chicago or any where that would give us a few future #1s

and with that being said, once next season is over, I'd consider dealing him again.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
if we had a 2016 first round pick, I'd deal him to Chicago or any where that would give us a few future #1s

No love for melo....?
I hope they put a team around him...I would like to go to a few Knicks games this year..
I'm not a knick fan, but I would like to see them sign Monroe, draft WCS or Mudiay, sign Daniel Green, Tobias Harris,Ed Davis, & Tarik Black.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
No love for melo....?
I hope they put a team around him...I would like to go to a few Knicks games this year..
I'm not a knick fan, but I would like to see them sign Monroe, draft WCS or Mudiay, sign Daniel Green, Tobias Harris and Ed Davis, & Tarik Black.

I like Melo, but realistically he's 31 and by the time we get a group around him, he'll be what 33? 34? It will likely take a while to equal Lebron's supporting class in Cleveland and Lebron >>>>>>>>>>> Melo, so even if we build a team around him, I don't think it will result in a championship.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
And than he worked out for them this wed...

ahh kk that makes more sense.
didn't seem sensible for him to cancel a workout with his highest likely possible destination.

read he was great. not sure if that is sixers trying to sell orlando on him or if they are just comfortable knowing they can get him at 3 regardless.

i would still take mudiay for his athleticism and nba body but what curry's done resonates.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I like Melo, but realistically he's 31 and by the time we get a group around him, he'll be what 33? 34? It will likely take a while to equal Lebron's supporting class in Cleveland and Lebron >>>>>>>>>>> Melo, so even if we build a team around him, I don't think it will result in a championship.

Melo is in his prime. That won't last long which is why they'll try to win now.
That and the fact NYC is not a good group to handle losing.

If they rebuild totally Phil will be gone.
So they'll try a revamp on the fly first.

Melo needs the right build around him and they haven't had that yet.

I don't believe Melo is a true franchise guy but he is definitely worth the current max once the new CBA kicks in.
Phil will earn his stripes as a GM if he pulls this off.
But it is pretty obvious he is using pick 4 as bait to find a vet who can start.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
ahh kk that makes more sense.
didn't seem sensible for him to cancel a workout with his highest likely possible destination.

read he was great. not sure if that is sixers trying to sell orlando on him or if they are just comfortable knowing they can get him at 3 regardless.

i would still take mudiay for his athleticism and nba body but what curry's done resonates.

The sixers may just agree with you... I have a feeling they are posturing on Porzingis for Orl, who sees him as a perfect fit next to Vuciavic. Porzingis is in Orl today... If Philly move down to 5, I think the pick will be Mudiay, or Herzonja... but just an opinion....

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score

Melo needs the right build around him and they haven't had that yet.

I don't believe Melo is a true franchise guy but he is definitely worth the current max once the new CBA kicks in.
Phil will earn his stripes as a GM if he pulls this off.
But it is pretty obvious he is using pick 4 as bait to find a vet who can start.

If you watch the Oly games, and all star games, and see how he blows up next to a creative "1" franchise guy... it make you drool about if he had a superstar next to him.

Edit: the fact that melo wont leave money on the table cost him Galanari, Mozgov, Wilson Chandler, and probably C. Paul..... If he would have just waited and left Denver as a free agent, he would have been contending already...
but... hey, can't blame him for not leaving money on the table..... twice.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

Yea, I agree, my point is, it's not realistic or at least likely

How familiar are you with NY Knick basketball from 2003 to like now?

Yea, this is more or less what I would do, not what I think they will do.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If you watch the Oly games, and all star games, and see how he blows up next to a creative "1" franchise guy... it make you drool about if he had a superstar next to him.

Edit: the fact that melo wont leave money on the table cost him Galanari, Mozgov, Wilson Chandler, and probably C. Paul..... If he would have just waited and left Denver as a free agent, he would have been contending already...
but... hey, can't blame him for not leaving money on the table..... twice.

i have seen him truly shine and it is special but those are games where defense is pretty much optional thus why he looks amazing.

he's a very similar guy to dirk tho not quite as efficient offensively and definitely not as good a team mate.

i am going to be shocked if people opt in to long-term deals this year.
so much more money by hitting free agency next year.
melo could be fairly a dud as a player and still turn into a decent cap value by the end of his contract.

melo probably should have went to chi-town. playing with jimmy butler and noah would have been perfect for him.
hi-lo with him and gasol could have owned 4th quarters while rose was out.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
i have seen him truly shine and it is special but those are games where defense is pretty much optional thus why he looks amazing.

he's a very similar guy to dirk tho not quite as efficient offensively and definitely not as good a team mate.

i am going to be shocked if people opt in to long-term deals this year.
so much more money by hitting free agency next year.
melo could be fairly a dud as a player and still turn into a decent cap value by the end of his contract.

melo probably should have went to chi-town. playing with jimmy butler and noah would have been perfect for him.
hi-lo with him and gasol could have owned 4th quarters while rose was out.

I don't know if they would have been able to afford Gasol if they signed him... But Chicago would have been a good landing spot....
Melo would be gold if he had a chris paul, Lebron, Kyrie...etc driving and kicking to him, giving him space to operate one on one.... his first step/ jab step, quick pull up is quite outstanding if he's completely one on one and defense can't cheat....not to mention he's good in the post.... and his three... blah, blah... the guy is a weapon... but needs a star next to him (why I think and power guard like mudiay would be great next to him.)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It was always Melo or Gasol, don't think they had room for both

in trade they could have gotten both. i am assuming the nyk would have then rebuilt and wanted younger guys and picks. boozer would have had to be sent of course to make money work but say mirotic and mcdermott and a 1st or two would have been a nice tip for taking on boozer's ballast.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
in trade they could have gotten both. i am assuming the nyk would have then rebuilt and wanted younger guys and picks. boozer would have had to be sent of course to make money work but say mirotic and mcdermott and a 1st or two would have been a nice tip for taking on boozer's ballast.

interesting.... if they were willing to help Melo get all his money, and help Chicago....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
interesting.... if they were willing to help Melo get all his money, and help Chicago....

mostly just about helping themselves.
the picks would have given them leeway to trade 1sts again if need be.
and some young talent would have been a nice reboot.

looking ahead mirotic, mcdermott and say mudiay is a heck of a nice young group.
but also a mature nice young group. not just 19 year olds 4 or 5 years away.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
great article on college prospects by stats.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/projecting-the-top-50-players-in-the-2015-nba-draft-class/

interesting this is how high the bust rate is with ALL these guys.
something we gotta remember about the draft is only about 20% EVER become starters, a higher percentage never see year 2 in the NBA.

funny to see statistically russell explained so well.
best chance of this entire group to be a star and also really high bust percentage. the biggest gamble of the group probably at that top 5 area.

also note how low the chance okafor is a true star but a huge chance he is a long term starter.

bodi

Reaction score
who ever CUBANS draft expert is SUCS eggs

I never seen such sucking drafts

some guy from India

you got to be kidding