Who's it going to be, Towns or Okafor at #1?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Why do you do this JT. Nobody is wishing players to the Lakers. I simply said that the Lakers are very interested in him and would offer him a Max deal if they could sign him. You are the one who said the Lakers would not do that because the don't want to spend cap. This is not true. If the Lakers thought they could sign a player that fit into their long term plans, they would. You are the one who is supporting the whole "wish players to Lakers" thing. Nobody is saying that. Just stop with that. All it does is ruin a perfectly good discussion.

They are picking 2nd for a reason but it's foolish to think that just because they are picking at the top of the draft, they can't put together a good team. That's just ridiculous. Lakers were 21-61 this past season. In 2012, Golden State was 23-43. In 2013, Cavs were 24-58 and years prior, they had even worse records. It's foolish to say that the Lakers can not bring in decent players or change fortune through the draft. Both teams playing for the Championship right now have done it in just the past few years.

sigh.... Butler is a RFA who will get a maxed offer sheet from the Bulls.
IF he doesn't sign it because he wants free agency in 2016 which is the rumor... the Bulls will simply match whatever offer he gets.
LAL fans are simply insane and talking about Butler is just cycle filling.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Teams usually plan in a 3-5 year cycle. To judge the Lakers for this year, would be wrong imo.
Kobe's contract is only one year, I don't see it as a burden to the overall plan, just this year, which is a rebuilding year.
The Lakers will be ok.... its gonna take a few years.... but good organizations are good for a reason. You may not trust them, but that doesn't mean their fans shouldn't. They have done it before.

good lord.
NBA teams may well plan for 3-5 year cycles but NBA free agent stars do not join those rebuilding processes.
This isn't hard.
It happens every year.

The Lakers are not a winning organization. They are a down in the dumps team that hasn't won in the past decade plus without Phil or the now dearly departed Sr. Buss.
D12 jumped ship for less money to play with Harden.
HOU acquired Harden via trade THEN got a free agent stud.

The Lakers should look at what HOU did. Acquired a bunch of real assets then moved them off to get better players and moved in a direction.

The Lakers have a couple high picks that may not be able to play together and a roster full of dead weight no one wants.
They are going to be bad for a while or they are going to make a massive move no one sees coming.
They aren't going to steal Jimmy Butler as an RFA tho regardless.

And lastly the Euro kid may be fine long term but he's going to be awful early. He's 7' 230 which is similar to Dirk who wasn't an All-Star for 4 years.
So even if the kid is as good as the best Euro ever he's got along ways to go. Taking him over some of the other talent would be basically begging to get fired.
GMs and Coaches don't get 4 years.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
^
This man is a smart man.....
he may in fact be the 2nd pick.... but it's far from a slam dunk.

He'll be the 2nd pick imho but I am not sure it's to the Lakers.
It's not really a great fit for them tho they could consider it asset building and just take the guy and play both kids and worry about trading one down the road.
It will be a good test to see if they really believe in Clarkson because the two point guards are certainly appealing.
I don't think they wanna draft a developmental Euro as the face of the franchise. Too hard a sell to the fans who buy jerseys.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
damn, was really hoping Russell would find his way to #4.....oh well

He still may...
a few "rumors" I read...
Lakers still very much like Okafor
Sixers maybe posturing with Porzingis so Orlando will trade up to 3. If this goes down, Russell will be there at 4...

Or things may very well go chalk...Towns, Okafor, Russell, Mudiay.
Who knows... Knicks are going to end up with a good player, regardless. I heard they like Lyes. I think It would be a mistake to trade out of 4 and move down for Lyes.
WCS would be a bold move at 4. (especially if they sign Monroe)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He still may...
a few "rumors" I read...
Lakers still very much like Okafor
Sixers maybe posturing with Porzingis so Orlando will trade up to 3. If this goes down, Russell will be there at 4...

Or things may very well go chalk...Towns, Okafor, Russell, Mudiay.
Who knows... Knicks are going to end up with a good player, regardless. I heard they like Lyes. I think It would be a mistake to trade out of 4 and move down for Lyes.
WCS would be a bold move at 4. (especially if they sign Monroe)

The Knicks are not down with the 5 year tank plan.
They badly want to win and win soon. Trading makes a lot of sense for them.