Who's your pick at #4?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
People didn't know that Rogers was the next Aaron Rogers. Your not going to ever be comfortable that a QB is the next top QB

I was thinking the same thing. No one knew Rodgers would be the next Aaron Rodgers. That's why he dropped in the draft. But I don't know if Rodgers would be the quarterback he is today if he had gone to Cleveland and would have been thrust into duty his rookie year.
That's why, in some sense, drafting Goff would be perfect for the Cowboys because he doesn't have to play immediately. He has time to learn and absorb the game from the sidelines.

erod

Reaction score
People didn't know that Rogers was the next Aaron Rogers. Your not going to ever be comfortable that a QB is the next top QB

Then don't do it. For every Rodgers, there are 30 Quinns.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Pick no 4. Right now I am leaning Treadwell but Jack and Ramsey are in the hunt. Tunsil and Bosa too but I think they will both be gone.

dfense

Reaction score
I think you have to think about trading down. IMO-- Cook is the most well rounded QB, and best competitor of the top 3. He may not have the physical tools of Goff or Lynch, but I like his grit and with 2-3 years behind Romo, he may be just what the Dr ordered.

The bottom line is that as bad as this season has been-- we are drafting high, have a bunch of comp picks as well as some cap room. We can make some moves to shore up this team and be ready to compete next year.

Cook looked like a game changer in his Bowl game. :)

dfense

Reaction score
Ok, I'm in.

I like Bosa at #4 if he's there. Dallas has a couple pass rushing or "rushmen" as they like to call them, but not a true DE who can set the edge. Lawrence is getting a lot better, but a Bosa is a complete DE. He might be the best player in the draft and if he falls into the Cowboys lap?

And then they can part ways with Hardy.

I like Ramsey at #4. He can play CB or Safety. Nice versatility. Replay any Dallas game you want and you will see a game altering play that Wilcox makes. Only not for his team. Did you catch his latest? On Washington's second TD down the left sideline he never looked up for the ball. So he was zeroed in on the receiver. But he still misjudged his angle and came in about 7-8 yards late and promptly took out his own player. Gold Jerry! CB is going to be a big concern with this team and in this division. I think a big secondary overhaul is coming.

I like Myles Jack in a trade down a few spots in the top 10. The other shoe is coming with McClain. They have depth concerns at LB. Jack can do it all.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
This is quite possibly the worst draft strategy I've heard so far.

Deciding you want to trade down, without knowing who's available at your pick, is silly and deciding you'd rather draft a worse quarterback because you don't want him to start right away is the type of decision that gets people fired.

Trading back assuming you get good value is almost always the correct decision.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Trading back assuming you get good value is almost always the correct decision.

As much emphasis we're putting on who we're picking at 4, I believe our FO is probably more interested in trading down to gather more picks.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
SF may fall in love with Wentz and just pick him up with #7 overall. I know he has late first/early second projection, but his value may increase; pushing him into mid first slot.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
trade down.

maybe we get a #10-12th pick and another high 2nd rounder.

No Goff no Lynch. Wasted investment. We dont need an QB who can essentially start from day one. We plan to develop one. We can get this guy much cheaper.

Goff and Lynch are better off sitting a year anyway.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
You could also take the word of Cade Massey, a professor at Pennsylvania's Wharton School, and University of Chicago's Richard Thaler's words for it.

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...fl-draft-strategy-and-how-economists-dis.aspx

This is just one of many strategies that all say the same thing. In the uncertain environment that is the NFL draft...quantity > quality.

That article is talking about value (dollars paid in return for performance), which is a different conversation, especially given that there is now a rookie pay cap.

It doesn't take a PhD to understand that you want to pay the least amount of money for the most amount of performance, but that's not what the Cowboys are currently facing; it's not about dollars.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Almost nobody. Therein lies the problem.

Some years, there just isn't an NFL quarterback worthy of a first-round pick.

Neither was Teddy Bridgewater but I bet everyone here would gladly trade a 1 for Teddy.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I like to look for comparisons. Other than Rodgers, what QB was drafted in the 1st round, sat a little? Also, sat a little and was good?

Phillip Rivers sat 2 years behind Drew Brees

So we're up to 4, McNair, Palmer, Rivers and Rogers.

The reason the number is small really has more to do with teams that pick QBs high, usually don't have a QB and we do.

erod

Reaction score
Neither was Teddy Bridgewater but I bet everyone here would gladly trade a 1 for Teddy.

Who would? Not me.

He's OK, but they're going nowhere in the playoffs. Seattle going to thump them next week in Minnesota.

Bridgewater is a good bus driver, but he takes very few chances and just tries to manage games. Nothing special there.

plasticman

Reaction score
I trade the #4 overall. I can't get value if I select my QB or RB at that position. However, next draft 2017 is going to be RB heavy in the top three rounds.

Therefore, I trade down to the middle third of the 1st round but add value by picking up at an additional #1 in 2017.

Patience is a virtue.

dfense

Reaction score

Teddy has not impressed me. He's a one read run for it guy right now. He looked better against Green Bay.

CashMan

Reaction score
Phillip Rivers sat 2 years behind Drew Brees

So we're up to 4, McNair, Palmer, Rivers and Rogers.

The reason the number is small really has more to do with teams that pick QBs high, usually don't have a QB and we do.

Or it says it is the smart thing to do.