CFZ Why an elite nose guard is almost as important as an elite QB

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This clarification I agree with

Yes, and thats more of what I was saying when I wrote this thread. It's not to put down the starting QB. It's to talk about how important that position is and how vital it is to the team. A nose guard is a big way to stop an elite QB.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Come on OP ..... Nobody ever won a Superbowl because they got a dominant Nose tackle.

Well no, you can't assign all the credit to the position but each year the teams that get deep in the playoffs generally have above average play from the interior defensive line.

If you get the interior playing well, it helps to maximize your other defensive players and limits the opponents offensive options. It is a game changer.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well no, you can't assign all the credit to the position but each year the teams that get deep in the playoffs generally have above average play from the interior defensive line.

If you get the interior playing well, it helps to maximize your other defensive players and limits the opponents offensive options. It is a game changer.

Exactly! And especially if your nose tackle is swallowing up the blocks and opening space for the rest of the front 7 to attack the QB and RB, then your defence is that much deadlier. No, they don't get the stats or glory, but they do make a game changing difference, and they are how you stop an elite QB.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ok, again, to clarify to anyone thinking that I'm saying that nose guards are on par with QBs in terms of importance to a team, I am NOT saying that. I'm talking about, with this thread, how a nose guard IS in the top 5 things of what you need to make the team a contender.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

I already conceded that we should go 0-17 so we can get the top Nose tackle with the number one pick in the draft ..... What more do you nose'ies want?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I already conceded that we should go 0-17 so we can get the top Nose tackle with the number one pick in the draft ..... What more do you nose'ies want?

We are not asking for 0-17. What I'm saying is it would be helpful if Ridgeway can become a top NT. I also think it may be good to sign one more as a FA. That way, between Ridgeway, Bohanna, and a FA, we might be able to get a nice rotation at the NT spot. In either case, that would help get this defence to an elite level.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
We are not asking for 0-17. What I'm saying is it would be helpful if Ridgeway can become a top NT. I also think it may be good to sign one more as a FA. That way, between Ridgeway, Bohanna, and a FA, we might be able to get a nice rotation at the NT spot. In either case, that would help get this defence to an elite level.

A LATE 5th ROUND PICK IS NOT ENOUGH FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN FOOTBALL!!!!!

You guys need to respect the gravity of the Nose tackle position more.

Number one overall or bust!

HUZZAH!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
A LATE 5th ROUND PICK IS NOT ENOUGH FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN FOOTBALL!!!!!

You guys need to respect the gravity of the Nose tackle position more.

Number one overall or bust!

HUZZAH!

I have said repeatedly that the QB is the most important spot, and I have made multiple clarifications on this thread that the DT is on the top 5 most important spots, NOT the most important. I thought when I wrote almost, that it would make it clear that I was not saying that it was on par. Almost is not a synonym for on par or even. It means it is below something but near. So, by saying what I was saying, I was conceding even in the title that the QB is the most important position, while I was also talking about nose guard being a very important position that is in the top 5 of important positions on a football team with the QB being the obvious number one spot. I don't know how I can make that any more clear.

terra

Reaction score
we clearly have not put the emphasis on the D line as we should have. Sure Jerry loves going after pass rushers at DE but has not shown anywhere near the interest in the interior and that has cost us again and again.
He overpays for DE and underpays for DT; and that is going to be our Achilles heel.

Forneymike

Reaction score
Can you name some elite "nose tackles"? Don't use Aaron Donald, he is not a "nose tackle". He plays all over the line. Once I see your list, then I will determine if those people are as important as Brady, Mahomes, Rogers, Stafford.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
we clearly have not put the emphasis on the D line as we should have. Sure Jerry loves going after pass rushers at DE but has not shown anywhere near the interest in the interior and that has cost us again and again.
He overpays for DE and underpays for DT; and that is going to be our Achilles heel.

Exactly, and especially at the NT/nose guard spot. Considering that we are finally drafting NTs, maybe, just maybe, Jerry will start to remember just how important that spot is. Tyron Crawford is NOT at nose tackle as they tried. Nose tackles require a very specific set of skills that a 3T does not provide.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Which Nose tackle should we get in the first round next year?

I say we trade Parsons so we can move up and get Jalen Carter.

What say you?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Can you name some elite "nose tackles"? Don't use Aaron Donald, he is not a "nose tackle". He plays all over the line. Once I see your list, then I will determine if those people are as important as Brady, Mahomes, Rogers, Stafford.

First of all, again, and this will be the last time I make this clarification as it can be read on several posts. The QB is the most important, and I've made that clear. As for elite nose tackles, I gave one already with Vita Vea. When healthy, the Bucs D was incredibly difficult to move the ball against, especially on the ground. When he was out, the complexion of that defence changed. That's an elite NT. Greg Gaines is a quietly top NT. He doesn't get a lot of recognition, but his ability at NT is a good reason Donald is able to have his success. Jacob Kinlaw is another very good 1TDT when healthy. So much so he was taken 14 overall. Even in our own division, Daron Payne is an example of a very solid NT that has helped make Washington a solid defence for the most part. That's something we have lacked is solid NTs.

Forneymike

Reaction score
Which Nose tackle should we get in the first round next year?

I say we trade Parsons so we can move up and get Jalen Carter.

What say you?
Parsons, Lamb and two first rounders if the NT is even close to the importance of an Elite QB. Sounds like this one guy could stop Mahomes on his own

starfan1

Reaction score
I think they have tried its just they havent hit yet. I dont think its as important as QB though but we are fine there

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Parsons, Lamb and two first rounders if the NT is even close to the importance of an Elite QB. Sounds like this one guy could stop Mahomes on his own

Throw in Diggs too ..... We can't miss this chance at a Superbowl

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
*sighs* I never said trade Parsons or anything like that. He's a vital piece. Do you not see how a top NT can HELP him be even better? I'm talking about giving our defence even more weaponry with a NT than can allow our great linebacking group the ability to shut down opposing offenses. Having a top NT means the lanes will be clear for Parsons to attack the QB. It means that Sam Williams, Neville Gallimore, and Tank can completely shred the other oline while the NT is taking on two + olinemen. That's the difference that a top NT can make.