CFZ Why an elite nose guard is almost as important as an elite QB

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think they have tried its just they havent hit yet. I dont think its as important as QB though but we are fine there

And I agree. I'm not saying it's more important or on par with the QB. I'm just saying it's one of the top 5 maybe 6 positions we need if we are going to take our already great defence to legendary levels.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This gets laughable post of the year. And that is saying a lot.

How can I take anything you say serious after this?

Because, as I have stated, a top nose tackle, while NOT IN THE REALM OF QB importance does help shut down elite QBs and means the rest of your defence is able to elevate their play.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
legendary levels.
sparkle-eyes.gif

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Because, as I have stated, a top nose tackle, while NOT IN THE REALM OF QB importance does help shut down elite QBs and means the rest of your defence is able to elevate their play.

Only an elite nose tackle doesnt shut down QB's.

I cant even begin to discuss it, its so absurd.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
By legendary levels, I mean to the level of our Doomsday Defense. We're much closer now than we were courtesy of Quinn, Parsons, and Diggs. All that's missing is a top NT, and we can get to that status on defence.

Forneymike

Reaction score
Ok...Let me restate what you actually mean. Nose Tackles are important. It's not a bad idea to invest in a good Nose Tackle in the draft if one is available when you pick. No need to trade picks or reach for guys you think maybe good. Pick the right NT in the right spot and you can be successful on defense. Or just find a 400 pound dude and put him over the center and see what he can clog up.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

Damn it Roy!!! Nose tackle is super freaking important don't you know ? Now get on board with trading Parsons for a Nose Tackle or get to stepping.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

They plug the holes and keep the QB from stepping up. Essentially, they force the QB to be a sitting duck. Perfect for Parsons, Williams, and Tank to come in and destroy. If they do manage to get the pass off, then it's likely getting intercepted because the QB had no where to run.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ok...Let me restate what you actually mean. Nose Tackles are important. It's not a bad idea to invest in a good Nose Tackle in the draft if one is available when you pick. No need to trade picks or reach for guys you think maybe good. Pick the right NT in the right spot and you can be successful on defense. Or just find a 400 pound dude and put him over the center and see what he can clog up.

Exactly, that's what I've been trying to say this whole thread. Getting someone that can do that is very important because it means the rest of the defence will benefit because they will have more holes to fill and make the other offense miserable.

Forneymike

Reaction score
one other question...I get Vita Vea...that guy is awesome...comes along once every few years....For Greg Gaines though, where does he relate in importance on the Rams roster? Who would be cut before Greg Gaines? Allen Robinson, Jalen Ramsey, Cooper Kupp, their OL? Where ever he is on that hierarchy is what the team thinks of him? I think he would be further down the list than you are proposing here. So, Agree on Vita Vea on importance to Bucs roster but not sure on many other "nose tackles" in this league.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Damn it Roy!!! Nose tackle is super freaking important don't you know ? Now get on board with trading Parsons for a Nose Tackle or get to stepping.

I am almost ashamed to say I am a Cowboys fan sometimes. Most of the time actually.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They plug the holes and keep the QB from stepping up. Essentially, they force the QB to be a sitting duck. Perfect for Parsons, Williams, and Tank to come in and destroy. If they do manage to get the pass off, then it's likely getting intercepted because the QB had no where to run.

This statement is absurd:

Why an elite nose guard is almost as important as an elite QB

And you knew it because you essentially took an entire page trying to soften up your stance from the statement.

Im thinking you did what most media outlets do. State a complete lie in the title just to get people to read it and then take a few pages to say something different.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
one other question...I get Vita Vea...that guy is awesome...comes along once every few years....For Greg Gaines though, where does he relate in importance on the Rams roster? Who would be cut before Greg Gaines? Allen Robinson, Jalen Ramsey, Cooper Kupp, their OL? Where ever he is on that hierarchy is what the team thinks of him? I think he would be further down the list than you are proposing here. So, Agree on Vita Vea on importance to Bucs roster but not sure on many other "nose tackles" in this league.

Gaines probably wouldn't be a guy you'd cut for Jalen Ramsey, Cooper Kupp, or their oline. As stated, in my view, the top 5 needs consist of your Starting QB at number one, and then any priority of WR/RB, Oline, NT, and reliable kicker as well as probably LB as LB and NT work hand in hand. Greg Gaines comes very much in handy when you're trying to get someone who can take a lot of blocks. Essentially, he forces other teams to have to try to get a Tight End and a tackle on Donald, which is a matchup nightmare. If Donald had to take on both a guard and tackle, then he probably wouldn't be as potent as he is. But, because Gaines is swallowing up the blocks from the center and guard, then Donald only has to take on a tackle and maybe a tight end. That's where he's important.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This statement is absurd:

Why an elite nose guard is almost as important as an elite QB

And you knew it because you essentially took an entire page trying to soften up your stance from the statement.

Im thinking you did what most media outlets do. State a complete lie in the title just to get people to read it and then take a few pages to say something different.

Again, I wasn't saying it's as important. I used the word almost because it means it's not as important. I used the word almost to mean that, behind QB, it's one of the most important parts of the team. That part is correct, and I don't understand why people are taking that to mean that it's on par with QB. That's not what I meant at all. If I had to rewrite this thread, I'd probably say something along the lines of, Behind QB, here's why NT or nose guard is one of the most important parts of the team. That I suppose would've made it clearer, but I was trying to say basically that with this thread.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Who doesnt want to win a SB?

Anyone who doesn't want an ,almost as important as the QB, Nose tackle.

Quick somebody tell Ranching or cowboyjoe to call Jerry and tell him to trade Parsons and Diggs for the number one pick so we can get a solid Nose tackle.

Stat.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I apologise if what I said made you all think I was saying that it's on par with QB. As I've stated over and over again, that was NOT what I was saying. I was saying basically, behind QB , NT is one of the most important parts of a team. That is what I was trying to say. I will, however, defend my stance that NT is one of the top 5 maybe 6 spots on a team with the QB being the obvious number one spot. And I've explained, using Greg Gaines and how he helps Donald, how a NT is vital to making the defence as potent as we want.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
lol
You guys are being way to hard on Rusty. Maybe he shouldn't have emphasized one position so much, especially a position the Cowboys don't often employ, but his overarching thought is not off base. You need to be strong in the middle if you plan on competing against the big dogs. Having the DT's that can consistently slow down the run and get some push against the pass just makes everything so much easier on the rest of the defense. It absolutely makes the difference and should be a priority. The lack of quality play from the DT position has been a topic here for years but you guys are hauling Rusty off to the glue factory for pointing that out.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Again, I wasn't saying it's as important. I used the word almost because it means it's not as important. I used the word almost to mean that, behind QB, it's one of the most important parts of the team. That part is correct, and I don't understand why people are taking that to mean that it's on par with QB. That's not what I meant at all. If I had to rewrite this thread, I'd probably say something along the lines of, Behind QB, here's why NT or nose guard is one of the most important parts of the team. That I suppose would've made it clearer, but I was trying to say basically that with this thread.

Its not even ALMOST. Its one of the least important positions on defense.

If anything, its more important in the run game than it is affecting the QB. Most NT's come off the field on passing downs and they put a pass rushing DT in there.