CFZ Why are people getting giddy about Trey Lance?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah but Chargers did not think Brees ceiling was a HOF other wise they wouldn’t have drafted Rivers.l. And if I’m not mistaken they wanted Eli with the first overall pick?
No they thought a shoulder injury was gonna be the end of a quarterbacks ability to be that yes not because of his raw ability it was the injury yes they drafted Eli Manning but he refused to go there remember he pulled the John Elway so they flipped their pics so they got Philip Rivers and an extra pic or something and Eli went to New York,,

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Nobody knows what we have in Trey Lance, but you take that chance for a 4th rounder. Even if all he turns into is a competent backup, then great, you came out ahead. If he doesn't pan out, it will be just like the long list of other 4th rounders that didn't pan out.

We traded away Amari, our best WR, for a 5th and he actually played well for the Browns.
giddy? really?

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Facts are that if San Fran didn’t luck into a guy they view as a franchise QB they wouldn’t have traded Lance. Lance’s upside is immense and they had no use for him. Our starter is older than Purdy so it made more sense for us to invest in a player who may be something in a couple years.

San Fran has two young players who are more ready now. If Dak/Cooper were 25 I doubt we make this trade

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Yeah the professionals saw so much in him they drafted Phillip Rivers 4th overall lol......you just say anything lol. Brees HOF career started with the Saints. ITs a fact. Maybe you have a great eye and saw his talent in SD. Good for you. But his talent wasn't on full display until he got to NO with Sean Payton. Sorry.
Both sides are correct in a way. Brees did not develop as quickly as SD would have liked (I think he had some injuries in the early years before the shoulder). So, they decided to go for the prototypical sized QB with a high draft pick to be ready to move on. But if you were watching Brees, his development was accelerating rapidly. So much so that it was pretty obvious to an unbiased observer that letting him go wasn't the smartest thing you could do. Unfortunately for SD, the current regime was biased and wanted to move on with their high draft pick (Rivers). So, I agree with Vtwin that his talent was on display before he left SD. Was it fully unleashed in New Orleans? Yes. Is that where the masses first recognized it? Yes.

On a side note, I would say Brees is one of the few truly elite QB's that took that as much time to really get cooking. Most are pretty much maxed out by the time he really started getting recognized as a top QB.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
A 4th round flyer on a player who is raw, but very talented. Not expected to start this year but needs to mature if he ever wants to start in this league. I think the Cowboys sealed the deal giving up a 4th for him. Can't blame the fo for trying here.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Trent Dilfer had one great year, three winning years out of 13. Those winning years he was carried by his defense. His career 113 TD to 129 INT ratio doesn't scream good QB.

Doug Williams has a career comp% of around 50% and a losing record as a starting QB. He pulled a Nick Foles and had the game of his life in the Super Bowl.

Steve Young was the fall guy for a very, very bad Tampa Bay team. They screwed up.

Tampa Bay was hoping for a lot more than what they got with Dilfer and Williams. They didn't realize what they had in Young, but given how bad that team was, it was probably hard to see.
Williams' completion percentage was about average for that time. Particularly given the style of offense he played in which was a sling it down the field style. He was drafted by a team that had gone 2-28 in the two seasons before he arrived and led them to two division titles and into the playoffs 3 of his 5 years as the starter. He elevated the hell outta that team. Tampa declined to re-sign him in '83 and didn't make the playoffs or even have another winning record until what 1996? They probably wish they would have kept him. Numbers don't come close to telling the tale of that guy. He elevated and inspired his teammates.. Read it again.. 2-28 the two years before he arrived. 18-12 in games he started the next two seasons. If Steve Young was the fall guy for a very very bad team what does make Williams? Besides Young will tell you himself he sucked as a QB during his time in Tampa. Only studying under Bill Walsh was he able to learn how to actually play the position.

If you're only going to look at numbers I supposed you think Joe Namath and Terry Bradshaw sucked too. Their overall numbers aren't much different than Williams.. In fact Namath's are worse.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
HOPE............ as we are tired of the limitations of Dak Cousins...........................

The fact that Dak has the same number of wins despite missing 18 games should be mentioned somewhere.. but I'll leave it up to you to figure out where. Wanna post W/L records? Everybody with half a brain knows Cousins' numbers are always inflated because he'll throw the ball into the ground or take a drive killing sack before making any sort of risky throw. Now this is not always a bad but there are times when I QB needs to be willing to try and make a play to win games. Cousins will take that 2 yard dumpoff in the last two minutes with his team trailing just to preserve his numbers. To hell with that. And to hell with anybody intellectually dishonest enough not to acknowledge that.

MistyAnn

Reaction score
We are getting giddy because it is soon the start of the season again, we were giddy about the Rico Gathers last year, who turned out to burst like a big balloon in the End Zone, but it is still fun to speculate however inaccurate we might be in hindsight.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Some Cowboys fans are just looking for any QB to replace Dak and want Dak gone at all costs. So right now they're embracing Trey Lance and really believe he is a year or two away from taking over the starting role. And they believe he can either develop into playing like a first round draft pick or at the very least they think he'll be a significant improvement over Dak as far as QB play goes. And they think plugging him in under center is going to get the Cowboys closer to a Super Bowl.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
So let me get this straight. Lance couldn't beat out Mr Irrelevant, Can't beat out Sam "The Man" Darnold. Yet the genius at Fox I am so smart Dick Sherman excuse me Richard Sherman says Dak should be worried!

If Dak let's this, oh yea look what I found on the trash heap of failed experiments, effect his game at all. Then I have just become a Dak Hater. Because he ain't got the mental make up to get it done.

This is a meritocracy, not a popularity contest. All we are looking at is Cooper Rush's replacement. Let's see if the kid can pull THAT off, Before we sing a chorus off the wicked ol Dak is dead

kevm3

Reaction score
Sometimes people need a change of pace to get the best out of them.

49ers are in 'win now' mode and Trey was expected to come in and make an immediate contribution and for someone who hasn't played a lot of football, I don't think that's the ideal situation for him.

Him being a backup and actually being able to slow down and learn the game is a plus for him. We don't necessarily know what we have in him, but as mentioned before, for a 4th rounder, you take that chance.

I don't really see people going over the moon over the kid, but for what we gave the 49ers, it seemed a decent enough deal
Can we stop bringing up amari Cooper he was not cut because he was done he was cut because he no longer was the number one wide receiver here and you cannot make $22 million against the cap as the number two wide receiver he was a cap casualty just like we got Gilmore and cooks and I guarantee you Brandon cooks is every bit as good as Cooper their careers are almost identical and we got him for what Yup both of them for fifths... The business side of football sometimes just gets the better of the fan base and they don't understand amari Cooper was cut for other reasons but mainly it was financial how about this all of our wide receivers this year put together I don't think make $21 million we got three receivers now for less than amari Cooper was making and by the way we also didn't miss him that much everyone can say we would have but the year before it gets the 49ers with the Cooper we lost this past game against the 49ers without amari Cooper we lost except for we did it in the second round so we got a game better we got a game further without amari Cooper can we once and for all stop bringing him up now it's over the Raiders let him go the Cowboys let him go and now he's a brown time to move on
The point is just because you 'release somebody' doesn't mean they are garbage. We released Amari for a 5th rounder and he showed up for the browns.

Trey Lance hasn't 'proven anything', but if he had, there's no way he'd be on the Cowboys, and certainly not for a 4th rounder. Lance is an unknown that you take the risk on for a 4th rounder. He's a guy that hasn't gotten much playing time and he was on a team where he was expected to step in and blow socks off because the 49ers are in win-now mode and need a qb. Not everyone is a Dak Prescott to where they step in day 1 and look solid. For a 4th rounder, we got a guy that we previously rated highly and who's real value is unknown since he was in a situation that may not have fit him. If he pans out, excellent, we came out ahead, and if he doesn't, it's a 4th rounder. How many of those guys have we drafted that never really panned out?

kevm3

Reaction score
So let me get this straight. Lance couldn't beat out Mr Irrelevant, Can't beat out Sam "The Man" Darnold. Yet the genius at Fox I am so smart Dick Sherman excuse me Richard Sherman says Dak should be worried!

If Dak let's this, oh yea look what I found on the trash heap of failed experiments, effect his game at all. Then I have just become a Dak Hater. Because he ain't got the mental make up to get it done.

This is a meritocracy, not a popularity contest. All we are looking at is Cooper Rush's replacement. Let's see if the kid can pull THAT off, Before we sing a chorus off the wicked ol Dak is dead
I don't feel like Lance is Dak's replacement, but I think he's someone who we had to take the chance on for the cost of a 4th rounder. Right now, you're right, he's in competition with Cooper Rush for the backup spot.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Personally, I'm not giddy. But if McClay had a hand in this, then I'm OK with it because I trust Will McClay

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
I don't feel like Lance is Dak's replacement, but I think he's someone who we had to take the chance on for the cost of a 4th rounder. Right now, you're right, he's in competition with Cooper Rush for the backup spot.
Yeah Bro , I see where we take a flyer on him and develop him for the future. It 's the epitome of Low risk, high reward

Adreme

Reaction score
No they thought a shoulder injury was gonna be the end of a quarterbacks ability to be that yes not because of his raw ability it was the injury yes they drafted Eli Manning but he refused to go there remember he pulled the John Elway so they flipped their pics so they got Philip Rivers and an extra pic or something and Eli went to New York,,
Not quite the order of operations there.

Brees was kind of terrible his first few years in the league to the point where the Chargers drafted Rivers to replace him. However, as this was pre rookie wage scale, Rivers had a contract holdout that meant that Brees was now allowed to be the starter, instead of Rivers who was expected to start as a rookie. With that final shot, Brees suddenly becomes a pro bowl QB out of nowhere and now is cemented as the starter for not only that season but the next season which was the last year of his deal. However at the end of THAT season (2005) he hurt his shoulder. Brees was already a pro bowl player, at that point, but with the shoulder injury and the fact that they had already drafted Rivers it kind of meant they had to go with the new QB.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Williams' completion percentage was about average for that time. Particularly given the style of offense he played in which was a sling it down the field style. He was drafted by a team that had gone 2-28 in the two seasons before he arrived and led them to two division titles and into the playoffs 3 of his 5 years as the starter. He elevated the hell outta that team. Tampa declined to re-sign him in '83 and didn't make the playoffs or even have another winning record until what 1996? They probably wish they would have kept him. Numbers don't come close to telling the tale of that guy. He elevated and inspired his teammates.. Read it again.. 2-28 the two years before he arrived. 18-12 in games he started the next two seasons. If Steve Young was the fall guy for a very very bad team what does make Williams? Besides Young will tell you himself he sucked as a QB during his time in Tampa. Only studying under Bill Walsh was he able to learn how to actually play the position.

If you're only going to look at numbers I supposed you think Joe Namath and Terry Bradshaw sucked too. Their overall numbers aren't much different than Williams.. In fact Namath's are worse.
To be fair, Namath is probably the worst QB in the HoF. Bradshaw was one of the toughest QB's I ever saw. That man took beatings and kept coming. And of course the game was different for them compared to today, even moreso than it was for Williams. If both played today they have much better numbers I suspect. Joe would be banging all the cheerleaders too.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Let's hit the breaks a bit here and look at some facts.

What did the 49ers trade to get Trey Lance in the 2021 draft?

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Lance lost the backup spot in San Fran to the great Sam Darnold.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
It's not about what has been. It's about what could be. High ceiling, low risk. Good deal!