CFZ Why are people getting giddy about Trey Lance?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'll say it again.
The Chargers offered him a market rate contract based largely on performance incentives because of the shoulder injury. The Saints offered him more or less the same money BUT with the largest guaranteed amount ever given to that point.

So lets recap. The professionals in the Chargers organization thought highly enough of him to franchise tag him, then offer a big contract. The professionals in New Orleans thought highly enough of him to offer a bigger contract with a huge guaranteed amount before he ever played a down for them. Those that voted him in thought highly enough of him to put him in the Pro Bowl while still a Charger. An amateur like me, and many many others like me thought highly enough of him to be telepathically screaming at their GM to get the guy.

But YOU didn't see any of that so it didn't happen. Is that about right?

Brees showed great promise at San Diego. Anybody with even the slightest understanding, saw that in him. You, however, didn't. lol
:laugh:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Sometimes people need a change of pace to get the best out of them.

49ers are in 'win now' mode and Trey was expected to come in and make an immediate contribution and for someone who hasn't played a lot of football, I don't think that's the ideal situation for him.

Him being a backup and actually being able to slow down and learn the game is a plus for him. We don't necessarily know what we have in him, but as mentioned before, for a 4th rounder, you take that chance.

I don't really see people going over the moon over the kid, but for what we gave the 49ers, it seemed a decent enough deal

The point is just because you 'release somebody' doesn't mean they are garbage. We released Amari for a 5th rounder and he showed up for the browns.

Trey Lance hasn't 'proven anything', but if he had, there's no way he'd be on the Cowboys, and certainly not for a 4th rounder. Lance is an unknown that you take the risk on for a 4th rounder. He's a guy that hasn't gotten much playing time and he was on a team where he was expected to step in and blow socks off because the 49ers are in win-now mode and need a qb. Not everyone is a Dak Prescott to where they step in day 1 and look solid. For a 4th rounder, we got a guy that we previously rated highly and who's real value is unknown since he was in a situation that may not have fit him. If he pans out, excellent, we came out ahead, and if he doesn't, it's a 4th rounder. How many of those guys have we drafted that never really panned out?
no one ever called the mari cooper tr....because of $22 million against the cap and yet, without Amari cooper we still got to the second round of the playoffs and still lost to the 49ers.same way the year before WITH HIM..

this had nothing to do with can he still play or not hat he cost too much to be a number 2.. for a lot less money, we have a far better wide receiver co....d last year and it's on par with 2021....

by the way you only got a fifth much because when you look at money and age. some guys like Hopkins and Dalvin cook got cut didn't even get a fifth for them, get over it this is the business of the NFL.

looking back at that now it was not a....we didn't have to cut him for nothing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Brees suffered a career threatening shoulder injury and The Bolts just drafted Rivers. BUT other than that carry on
I'll say it again.
The Chargers offered him a market rate contract based largely on performance incentives because of the shoulder injury. The Saints offered him more or less the same money BUT with the largest guaranteed amount ever given to that point.

So lets recap. The professionals in the Chargers organization thought highly enough of him to franchise tag him, then offer a big contract. The professionals in New Orleans thought highly enough of him to offer a bigger contract with a huge guaranteed amount before he ever played a down for them. Those that voted him in thought highly enough of him to put him in the Pro Bowl while still a Charger. An amateur like me, and many many others like me thought highly enough of him to be telepathically screaming at their GM to get the guy.

But YOU didn't see any of that so it didn't happen. Is that about right?

Brees showed great promise at San Diego. Anybody with even the slightest understanding, saw that in him. You, however, didn't. lol
Yeah I didn’t see him having a HOF career, oh well.

b0xZZ

Reaction score
In a nutshell because they realize that Dak will never lead a team to the super bowl much less win one so any alternative, expectations justified or not, makes them excited.

KB1122

Reaction score
It's the sort of trade that we usually don't make. I would have preferred signing Aaron Rodgers. But a roll of the dice on Lance for a fourth is a good move.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Why would the 49er's keep Lance? They already have a young QB they are working with. Darnold has experience and can at least pass on knowledge of the game to Purdy. Lance would just kind of...be there.

It's a similar situation to Grier. He wasn't going to be part of our plans. We still let him start the entire last pre-season game so he could show off for other clubs. Some teams actually do care about players and will make moves that benefit the player. From all accounts Lance is a great person and the franchise was doing him a favor by cutting ties with him rather than just stash him on the bench for use in a worst case scenario.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
You do not have to read entire threads.....maybe at least the original post?

Unless it's @CCBoy then I would not blame you for skipping the tome.
Nope, title is all I need to comment in this case. A question was asked, and I provided an answer.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope, title is all I need to comment in this case. A question was asked, and I provided an answer.
But...I don't understand.

Page 8...you asking me where anyone mentioned Dak.

Told you ....the ORIGINAL POST. The very first post.

Then you said "I don't read entire threads".

I never said you had to read the whole thread. Just ONE post. Now you tell me you don't need to read anything....just the title.

But you made it to page 8 to question me about Dak?

I'm thinking you must be doing it wrong, dude.

Maybe you are just pulling my leg for fun.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
But...I don't understand.

Page 8...you asking me where anyone mentioned Dak.

Told you ....the ORIGINAL POST. The very first post.

Then you said "I don't read entire threads".

I never said you had to read the whole thread. Just ONE post. Now you tell me you don't need to read anything....just the title.

But you made it to page 8 to question me about Dak?

I'm thinking you must be doing it wrong, dude.

Maybe you are just pulling my leg for fun.
Because you replied to me as though I mentioned Dak. Why wouldn't I ask that?

Hey, are you telling me the moon is made of cheese? Oh, you didn't say that? Well, I still want you to explain yourself about how the moon is made of cheese.

See how that works? You quoted me with some random statement about Dak, I never mentioned him, and yet you're pretending like I did.

Oh, quick tip, I didn't make it to page 8. I clicked my alerts button in the upper right where it shows that you either quoted me or liked my comment.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because you replied to me as though I mentioned Dak. Why wouldn't I ask that?

Hey, are you telling me the moon is made of cheese? Oh, you didn't say that? Well, I still want you to explain yourself about how the moon is made of cheese.

See how that works? You quoted me with some random statement about Dak, I never mentioned him, and yet you're pretending like I did.

Oh, quick tip, I didn't make it to page 8. I clicked my alerts button in the upper right where it shows that you either quoted me or liked my comment.
Fair enough my good man.

I went back...cleverly using the website's "go back to the quoted comment" link. I saw that you very early wanted to answer the question in the title...AND end the thread.

"because hes a cowboy" is fine...but people have already posted about "timing"...and "threat to the qb room".

Not sure how we got on tangent....I think you saying you dont; read things...might have lead me to some confusions.

Dunt mater....you take care

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Let's hit the breaks a bit here and look at some facts.

What did the 49ers trade to get Trey Lance in the 2021 draft?

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Lance lost the backup spot in San Fran to the great Sam Darnold.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
You want to take a flyer?
Max Dugan released by the Chargers.
Then there was Grier who has twice any talent Lance might have.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's a reason for Dak to pause when it comes to Dak resigning. Dak can't hold Jerry hostage in October
Changes absolutely nothing in regards to a contract extension. Lance is not going to be ready anytime soon, if at all.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
Last time I hit the breaks me canoe almost tipped over and I lost me banjo.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

OK...you feel better now that you got that off your mind? Dak is safe for now.

Stop worrying about Lance...your post sounds like you are so concerned about the Dakky poo.

Build a bridge and get over it.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Proves how ignorant, blind and clueless many Cowboys fans truly are.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Changes absolutely nothing in regards to a contract extension. Lance is not going to be ready anytime soon, if at all.

That young man is not going to be a Ryan Leaf...there ain't no "if at all".

He is going to work the Dallas Cowboy way. I hate this saying that some of you posters use, but, here goes, "Dak lives in your head rent free".