CFZ Why are people getting giddy about Trey Lance?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Let's hit the breaks a bit here and look at some facts.

What did the 49ers trade to get Trey Lance in the 2021 draft?

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Lance lost the backup spot in San Fran to the great Sam Darnold.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
Only the extremes on both sides of the Dak hacks vs homers are making more out of the Lance acquisition.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
I'm not sure that Shanahan has a great eye for talent - he's better at getting a lot out of what he has.

Otherwise, yea. This is a late-round flyer on a talented guy. Nothing more, nothing less.
This. Garrapolo isn’t exactly a stud QB.

GMO415

Reaction score
He's a reason for Dak to pause when it comes to Dak resigning. Dak can't hold Jerry hostage in October

morat1959

Reaction score

They gave up the #3 pick in 2021, their #1 pick in 2022 (29 overall), their #3 pick in 2022 (101 overall), and their #1 pick in 2023 (29 overall).

Two years later, they trade him for a 4th round pick, and by their own admission, they were surprised to get a 4th.

Kyle Shanahan, an excellent coach with an eye for talent, had no issue letting Lance go. Why?

This should raise a fist full of red flags. Okay, I get the "let's take a flyer on this guy" mentality. But I'm sure Dallas was not the only team that knew he could be had, and there weren't a ton of offers for his services. In the limited time he has played, the only thing he has proven is that he can't play. I've seen an article that claimed this move was taken from the Howie Roseman playbook. No it wasn't. Roseman isn't stupid enough to trade for a guy that they would have to pay $22 million to in his 5th year to sit behind their star QB. Are we going to be dumb enough to do that?

I know there are peeps here secretly hoping that Dak falters and Lance gets the job. Trey Lance is not taking Dak's job, he couldn't beat out Sam Darnold.
We don’t have to hope he falters. He already has.

morat1959

Reaction score
It took Geno Smith ten years to have one good year. And he had the opportunity to start many games. Many posters here think that after just one good season the jury is out on Jalen Hurts. Now Geno Smith is the example of a quarterback that flourished in a new environment?
Geno Smith…lol!

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Has anyone visited any SF boards to see what their fans takes are.
I am sure they are mixed as they are on here.
I just did after your comment.

Is this correct? Lance had 48 TDs and 1 INT in college?

My guess is that they acquired Lance so we can implement some RPO plays—this year. I don't think he's threatening Prescott for the starting spot. But if we need a change of pace against a defense that has our number, I can see them pulling Dak and utilizing Lance for a different look with RPOs. I sense that's what Jerry wants to do, and Mike will have to like it.

Lodeus

Reaction score
I remember him not being terrible as a rookie before he got hurt then I never really watched him again. Not really giddy about it but I'm not gonna jump on the hate train for no reason either. He's 23. If he's still here in 5 years and we've moved on from Dak maybe he can do something.

rambo2

Reaction score

He is 23 and has tremendous upside. He can sit and learn and play later. He might be very good and he might not. He fits on this team.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Ti

Fans are giddy over Trey Lance's "Jerry" curls and their addiction to spiked Kool-Aid.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
He is 23 and has tremendous upside. He can sit and learn and play later. He might be very good and he might not. He fits on this team.
Speaking of the unexpected, the trade itself falls into that category — seeing as it came out of nowhere and materialized quickly once the Cowboys and 49ers got on the phone, the former refusing to let the latter off of the line until Lance was heading to Dallas in exchange for a fourth-round pick.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/trey-lance-on-cowboys-trade-i-had-a-big-smile

The 23-year-old is now "100 percent" healthy after suffering a season-ending ankle injury in Week 3 of the 2022 season, one that required an additional procedure later in the year. He is ready to hit the ground running in putting in as much extra work as head coach Mike McCarthy and the Cowboys will put on him and, rest assured, it'll be quite a bit.

That workload will include learning as much from Dak Prescott as possible.

"He welcomed me with open arms," said Lance of the two-time Pro Bowl quarterback. "... It meant a lot to me. This business is crazy but, for me, I'm not looking forward — at all. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. This guy has played at a very high level for a long time so, obviously, just tons of respect for him, as I think he deserves and gets from across the league.

"I'm just trying to learn everything I possibly can from him."

"I really tried to not expect anything one way or another, but I can say that when I heard it was the Cowboys, I had a big smile on my face," said Lance. "I'm very excited to be here. … I believe that everything happens for a reason. I believe I'm here for a reason and, regardless of what it is, I'm here to try and find a way to help this team."

sbark

Reaction score
Change of scenery...
This in time gives Dak just that. At worst a indicator now
Competition down the roster as most other positions also have...
A good thing......

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Yeah the professionals saw so much in him they drafted Phillip Rivers 4th overall lol......you just say anything lol. Brees HOF career started with the Saints. ITs a fact. Maybe you have a great eye and saw his talent in SD. Good for you. But his talent wasn't on full display until he got to NO with Sean Payton. Sorry.
I'll say it again.
The Chargers offered him a market rate contract based largely on performance incentives because of the shoulder injury. The Saints offered him more or less the same money BUT with the largest guaranteed amount ever given to that point.

So lets recap. The professionals in the Chargers organization thought highly enough of him to franchise tag him, then offer a big contract. The professionals in New Orleans thought highly enough of him to offer a bigger contract with a huge guaranteed amount before he ever played a down for them. Those that voted him in thought highly enough of him to put him in the Pro Bowl while still a Charger. An amateur like me, and many many others like me thought highly enough of him to be telepathically screaming at their GM to get the guy.

But YOU didn't see any of that so it didn't happen. Is that about right?

Brees showed great promise at San Diego. Anybody with even the slightest understanding, saw that in him. You, however, didn't. lol

Loso86

Reaction score

Well that seems to be all the negatives. How about still young, and inexperienced!. Graded High first or second round by just about all the teams.first year was mostly injured as a rookie. Second year was really his rookie year and just couldn't get it. A new scheme, new staff, new team can do wonders. He doesn't have to play now and can sit and learn under Dak, MM etc.