Why Cowboys and other teams are not interviewing Bill Belichick

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I guess the billionaires are all tightwads with the cash lol . It explains why the jones boys were not interested. They would have to pay 20 + 6 for mikes last year.

You get what you pay for. And Jerry who said money was no problem to win another SB, but I guess it is.

Then there is the full power thing, they would not have any say in draft, FA, etc.

The recent record is easily explained, Brady left because he knew the talent had all left, and drafting in lower rounds EVERY year adds up.

Since brady left Bill had the team with no talent and had to make do with a lower round QB. Hard for any coach to win with that.

It is a shame as it would have been interesting to see what Bill could have done with the current cowboys players.
There would not have been a rebuild, but just some adjustments.
One thing for sure cowboys would have been prepared to play games, and not just show up to play with a stupid game plan.
Our defense would take out of the game the other teams best player.
Dak would have been good enough to win, as BB won a SB when brady was just a bus driver who didnt make mistakes.

The jones boys passed up a golden opportunity, and so have the other teams.
Also bill wanted the cowboys job, so may have given in on the gm and full power thing. But jones boys saw that 20 mil tag and blew him off .
Too expensive for ol jerry lol he couldnt afford Bill is bottom line.
I think teams see a coach who'll be 73, the oldest in history and whos teams haven't performed well the last couple of years. Has he lost his edge, is he still putting the same time and effort into gameplanning, are his schemes and philosphy dated, can he win without Brady? All legit questions at this stage in his career.

I get his name alone is intriguing, but just like the superstar athlete in the twilight of his career you're likely not getting the same guy. If this was 6-7 years ago, sure it would seem silly to not seriously consider him but at this time I'm a pass. With that said maybe if he's interested... bring him in as a consultant for the season? I'm sure his knowledge in helping with the defense, or helping Dak read zone schemes would be invaluable.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Also to point out, Ernie Adams and Dante Scarnecchia, the only real personnel that mattered for Bill Bellichek, retired around the same time Brady left. Adams was basically “Rainman” for BB.

But even BB isn’t winning with Dak. Winning with Brady pre-2006 defensive back rules is completely different than winning with a QB that “drives the bus”.
Ridiculous take. Bill Belichick has said several times how much he likes Dak and what he truly thinks of him.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess the billionaires are all tightwads with the cash lol . It explains why the jones boys were not interested. They would have to pay 20 + 6 for mikes last year.

You get what you pay for. And Jerry who said money was no problem to win another SB, but I guess it is.

Then there is the full power thing, they would not have any say in draft, FA, etc.

The recent record is easily explained, Brady left because he knew the talent had all left, and drafting in lower rounds EVERY year adds up.

Since brady left Bill had the team with no talent and had to make do with a lower round QB. Hard for any coach to win with that.

It is a shame as it would have been interesting to see what Bill could have done with the current cowboys players.
One thing for sure cowboys would have been prepared to play games, and not just show up to play with a stupid game plan.
Dak would have been good enough to win, as BB won a SB when brady was just a bus driver who didnt make mistakes.

Also bill wanted the cowboys job, so may have given in on the gm and full power thing. But jones boys saw that 20 mil tag and blew him off .
Can't mix oil and water.
Only "Yes" men need to apply for the Cowboys HC job.
Since 1995 this is the norm and trust me it won't change when Jerry meets his maker.
30 years without an NFCCG doesn't come easy now does it?
P.S. Jerry would give 1 billion $ for just one more SB unfortunately for him the NFL is a cap league.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We can speculate the reasons why, but I have a feeling it was multiple reasons, with the strongest being the support the players have for McCarthy, Quinn (if he remains) and the rest of the coaches.

They also likely do not want new coaches because they don't want to have to learn new playbooks, deal with new coaches, especially ones who may not be as friendly or personable as McCarthy and Quinn have been.
It's a cultural difference. Somewhat generational, but certainly personal.

Irvin. Aikman. Emmitt. Woody. These guys cared about winning. They would kill themselves to win. Larry Allen. Erik Williams. They would kill the guy lined up across from them all game. Just beat them.

Woody, he would kill himself to lose. He played through the string of 5-11 seasons. Veteran player with 3 All Pro seasons and 3 rings, but still playing full time special teams snaps till the end. He spent one season just dragging one non functional arm across the field week after week.

Those players were not check cashers. There's a good case to be made that they were somewhat insane killing themselves for a game. Caring that much. But it did produce greatness on the field.

Starting at the top with Jerry to McCarthy to the players, I see businessmen in sports entertainment. I give a lot of props to Dak for training and improving during the offseason. But it still seems like business, and few of the stars seem anywhere near as serious about even just good business as Dak.

Everybody just wants to run it back because everyone is satisfied. It's good business for all of them. They're sports entertainment businessmen, and business is good.

The Hoodie would hold players accountable. Would cut their ***** if they weren't playing well. If they weren't upholding a culture of winning. Is there anyone in the organization that matters who would want that? I'm not seeing it.

Once there were the Triplets. Then there were the Hot Boyz. These are not the same things.

The NFL is not what it once was. It used to be more like boxing. Beating the other player into submission. And refusing to submit in turn. And it made for real drama.

Now it's more professional wrestling, complete with talky talk drama on social media.
It's a kayfabe world.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Well Brady became a great qb and helped bill and those teams win the SB's etc. There were different teams in that time span.
But 20 years of drafting low makes it really hard to maintain a talented team, drafting not just low but at bottom of the round every year.
I think that is why NE lost to NYG both SB's because they had more talented players.

The patriots were done before tom left, and it was bill and tom that got the team into the playoffs those last few times.
Brady went to a loaded buccs team lol that just needed a qb.
And Brady going to TB got them more than just a QB. Brady brought other quality players to Tampa on the cheap for a ring. And I'm sure the Tampa players also upped their game, knowing it was their chance to get over the top.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Can't mix oil and water.
Only "Yes" men need to apply for the Cowboys HC job.
Since 1995 this is the norm and trust me it won't change when Jerry meets his maker.
30 years without an NFCCG doesn't come easy now does it?
P.S. Jerry would give 1 billion $ for just one more SB unfortunately for him the NFL is a cap league.
a HC's pay doesnt have anything to do with the cap, it comes out of the owners pocket.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

It's not often when I read a long post to create a thread and disagree with everything about it, but this is one of those times.

fantasy-island.gif

ShiningStar

Reaction score
someone lied to you

we were told Jerry would do anything for a SB, money is no object at the coaching level.

Why wasnt he signged immediately if Jerry WOULD do anything?

Hadenough

Reaction score
I think Jerry is too dam cheap to pay Belichick 20 mil. But I also think Belichick needs a year or two away from the game. He just looks burned out and worn out. Maybe even time for him to retire.
Even if he did come here and fixed the defense we would see Dak still crap the bed and roll in it! Dak just doesn't have it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Andy Reid did nothing with Philly or KC until Mahomes as well.
:huh: :huh: During his tenure with the Eagles

1 Super Bowl appearance
4 NFCCG appearance
6 years as NFC East divisional winner

Andy always had his teams at the dance but could never finish ( same issue the Bucs fired Tony Dungy). But to say he did nothing as Eagles HC is just not true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Reid

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think teams see a coach who'll be 73, the oldest in history and whos teams haven't performed well the last couple of years. Has he lost his edge, is he still putting the same time and effort into gameplanning, are his schemes and philosphy dated, can he win without Brady? All legit questions at this stage in his career.

I get his name alone is intriguing, but just like the superstar athlete in the twilight of his career you're likely not getting the same guy. If this was 6-7 years ago, sure it would seem silly to not seriously consider him but at this time I'm a pass. With that said maybe if he's interested... bring him in as a consultant for the season? I'm sure his knowledge in helping with the defense, or helping Dak read zone schemes would be invaluable.
Owners view Bill as yesterday's HC, oh joy the Kellen Moore's of the world have shown us nothing.

Owners that respect the mans knowledge of the game, his tenure embraces his understanding of the game, its not that complex, solid lines, and getting the ball in your RBs hands.

It's not difficult, but it is effective, Bill invest in smart OL that can run and pull, he invests very little into RBs, because he understands that you can draft a ringer in the 3rd round these days.