Why Cowboys and other teams are not interviewing Bill Belichick

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not even Dave Campo had a season where he won only four games and he had a worse QB situation than Belichick this season. I haven’t researched it but not sure anyone has hired an HC who was coming off a four win season.

Flamma

Reaction score
I guess the billionaires are all tightwads with the cash lol . It explains why the jones boys were not interested. They would have to pay 20 + 6 for mikes last year.

You get what you pay for. And Jerry who said money was no problem to win another SB, but I guess it is.

Then there is the full power thing, they would not have any say in draft, FA, etc.

The recent record is easily explained, Brady left because he knew the talent had all left, and drafting in lower rounds EVERY year adds up.

Since brady left Bill had the team with no talent and had to make do with a lower round QB. Hard for any coach to win with that.

It is a shame as it would have been interesting to see what Bill could have done with the current cowboys players.
There would not have been a rebuild, but just some adjustments.
One thing for sure cowboys would have been prepared to play games, and not just show up to play with a stupid game plan.
Our defense would take out of the game the other teams best player.
Dak would have been good enough to win, as BB won a SB when brady was just a bus driver who didnt make mistakes.

The jones boys passed up a golden opportunity, and so have the other teams.
Also bill wanted the cowboys job, so may have given in on the gm and full power thing. But jones boys saw that 20 mil tag and blew him off .
Too expensive for ol jerry lol he couldnt afford Bill is bottom line.
Good points. But I think at this stage in Bill's coaching career he has only one goal, surpassing Shula. I don't think he's looking for total control anymore. All he needs are wins.

If he doesn't coach this year, there's always next year.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
He needs to rest on the season and regroup. Do like fat Mike and go out to the barn, eat a couple of cows, and lie to potential owners about what he did in the off-season.

Motorola

Reaction score
I disagree.

The Patriots defense carried them to a lot of their championships.

Brady got kept in games long enough to make a play.

Even in the Super Bowl sometimes the play he had to make was go 30 yards down the field to kick a FG.

Belichick and the culture he created is the reason for nearly all their success.

The best thing Brady did was not eat up all the cap space he could.
Many fans don't remember \ recall \ realize that New England's six Super Bowl wins - AND losses - under Belichick were mostly low-to moderately scoring games that were all decided in the last minutes of regulation or overtime by a touchdown or less____
SB XXXVI - Patriots 20, Rams 17
SB XXXVIII - Patriots 32, Panthers 29
SB XXXIX - Patriots 24, Eagles 21
SB XLII - Giants 17, Patriots 14
SB XLVI - Giants 21, Patriots 17
SB XLIX - Patriots 28, Seahawks 24
SB LI - Patriots 34, Falcons 28 (OT)
SB LII - Eagles 41, Patriots 33
SB LIII - Patriots 13, Rams 3

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Bill is all about winning, and he has particular obsessive styly on that path.

The question is how many of the Cowboys players and staff are prepared to follow those dictates?

He is not unlike any other coach in the league. He needs a good QB, needs stout lines to control the LOS, he needs talent on the roster, but if there is one thing he would bring to any locker room is there will be no opportunity for players to lose focus from the sacrifices needed to win.

That dude is all about winning, and he won't suffer fools around him who can't see that this is the reason for being in the league.

BB's style and way is not for everyone. If you read and follow the players who love BB it becomes evident the type of person he is looking for.

BTW, give Brady 5 years out of the league, and he will start telling people BB was the greatest coach he has ever played for. Right now the retirement and the relationship is raw, but TB is a BB type guy.

Aikman would have loved to play for BB.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't think money is the issue at all with JJ.

"The recent record is easily explained, Brady left because he knew the talent had all left, and drafting in lower rounds EVERY year adds up.

Since brady left Bill had the team with no talent and had to make do with a lower round QB. Hard for any coach to win with that."

I seem to remember many posters here being upset about the fact that the Patriots always did great with their rosters, and that the salary cap wasn't an issue for them. This concept was "backed" by the fact that BB would replace any vet who was going to require too much money, and he was always able to get the most out of his players.

Either that was crap, and Brady was the reason Bill was a great coach, or the comments highlighted in red are an exaggerated overstatement. After all, wasn't Brady a "lower round QB?

Aftershock

Reaction score
People act as if BB had literally the worst roster in the NFL since Brady left. That's simply not true. The glaring issue to me is that he lost the locker room which sheds further light into the fact that it was Brady all along who kept the locker room together.

duane33

Reaction score
It isn't about money it's about control. Bill wants all of it. It's clear he shouldn't be GM. Therefore no calls.
Atlanta a loser franchise, Morriss is 21-38 as HC.
Blank wanted him but didn't want to get rid of people to bring BB's gang in.
Won 6 SB and played in 9 doing it his way, owners are idiots not to hire him. So what if its for 3 years, many of these guys hired will last that if not less.

Dont need to hear he only won with Brady. Walsh only won cuz he had Montana, Reid- Mahomes, Jimmy-Aikman. BB went 11-5 with Matt Cassel 1 year. Yes he had some bad drafts, but had some great ones and has drafted well on defense. This past year could have more wins easily, 8 of losses by single digits.

Dallas just not going anywhere with JJ as GM, his record has proved that.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I think we all know that it helps any head coach/front office to have a super talented player at the QB position. I wish the 2 "GMs" of our favorite team understood this, but I digress.

I'm not going to discount Bill on the success in New England. Yeah, he had the GOAT at QB, but he still ran the team and he ran it well. Those teams, season in and season out, were always damn good. From the offensive side of the ball to the defensive side of the ball. Yeah, I get it all fell apart after Brady left, but what comes up must eventually come down. I think things just ran their course in New England.

Would he win in Dallas? Hard to say. So many variables there. I'm sure a lot of us fans would love the hire while romanticizing about his success in New England, though, we would still be working against history (where no coach has taken two different teams to a Super Bowl). I do feel confident in thinking he could change the culture in the locker room. Bill has the experience and that edge to get the players to be better on the field. I'm willing to bet we wouldn't lead the league in penalties under him. Could he win with Dak though? That's the biggest question.

duane33

Reaction score
I don't think money is the issue at all with JJ.

"The recent record is easily explained, Brady left because he knew the talent had all left, and drafting in lower rounds EVERY year adds up.

Since brady left Bill had the team with no talent and had to make do with a lower round QB. Hard for any coach to win with that."

I seem to remember many posters here being upset about the fact that the Patriots always did great with their rosters, and that the salary cap wasn't an issue for them. This concept was "backed" by the fact that BB would replace any vet who was going to require too much money, and he was always able to get the most out of his players.

Either that was crap, and Brady was the reason Bill was a great coach, or the comments highlighted in red are an exaggerated overstatement. After all, wasn't Brady a "lower round QB?
Brady didnt draw up those defenses that won super bowls. and remember, he lost 3 super bowls. Montana never lost.

duane33

Reaction score
I think we all know that it helps any head coach/front office to have a super talented player at the QB position. I wish the 2 "GMs" of our favorite team understood this, but I digress.

I'm not going to discount Bill on the success in New England. Yeah, he had the GOAT at QB, but he still ran the team and he ran it well. Those teams, season in and season out, were always damn good. From the offensive side of the ball to the defensive side of the ball. Yeah, I get it all fell apart after Brady left, but what comes up must eventually come down. I think things just ran their course in New England.

Would he win in Dallas? Hard to say. So many variables there. I'm sure a lot of us fans would love the hire while romanticizing about his success in New England, though, we would still be working against history (where no coach has taken two different teams to a Super Bowl). I do feel confident in thinking he could change the culture in the locker room. Bill has the experience and that edge to get the players to be better on the field. I'm willing to bet we wouldn't lead the league in penalties under him. Could he win with Dak though? That's the biggest question.
Parcells took 2 different teams to SB

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Bill shopped for his own groceries. He has nobody to blame but himself. Mac Jones was no late round pick and Bill picked him.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
I guess the billionaires are all tightwads with the cash lol . It explains why the jones boys were not interested. They would have to pay 20 + 6 for mikes last year.

You get what you pay for. And Jerry who said money was no problem to win another SB, but I guess it is.

Then there is the full power thing, they would not have any say in draft, FA, etc.

The recent record is easily explained, Brady left because he knew the talent had all left, and drafting in lower rounds EVERY year adds up.

Since brady left Bill had the team with no talent and had to make do with a lower round QB. Hard for any coach to win with that.

It is a shame as it would have been interesting to see what Bill could have done with the current cowboys players.
There would not have been a rebuild, but just some adjustments.
One thing for sure cowboys would have been prepared to play games, and not just show up to play with a stupid game plan.
Our defense would take out of the game the other teams best player.
Dak would have been good enough to win, as BB won a SB when brady was just a bus driver who didnt make mistakes.

The jones boys passed up a golden opportunity, and so have the other teams.
Also bill wanted the cowboys job, so may have given in on the gm and full power thing. But jones boys saw that 20 mil tag and blew him off .
Too expensive for ol jerry lol he couldnt afford Bill is bottom line.
He is not allowed his video equipment or his television crew to operate in stadiums anymore.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
He's 71. Probably wants full control of the personnel decisions. Wasn't very good without Brady. I would pass.