Video: Why Dak is the most accurate. NFL Network

Big D

Reaction score
On some of the dez touchdown catches, dez is having to plant, turn around, an catch over the defender. That tendes to make the seperation less than it could have been had the ball been in front of dez. Im not a fan of dak so when i see a ball thrown behind the receiver i see it as bad ball placement even if the receiver adjusts and makes the catch.
So because he didn't score the TD like you like , we need to draft another qb? :huh:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dak chose to throw the ball in a tight window to witten b/c he flat out missed a wide open Rod Smith coming out of the backfield.

I don't think that kind of anecdote means anything. There are 4-5 receivers in a play. The QB has a progression to go through. He has guys rushing him. Guys are going to be open and not get thrown to for any QB, for any game, a lot of times, unless the receivers are just failing to win their matchups.

Somebody showed a video of plays where Dez was open but didn't get the ball. Welcome to football.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dude that can’t be true, @Risen Star said Dak sucks... and he posts a lot.

Both could be true. I can believe that Dak had one of the highest percentage completions for tight window throws, but I can also believe that Dak had one of the highest grossly off target percentage too.

There were a lot of huge misses. I'd like to see Dak's stats on those too.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Again, the rate he misses reads and cannot scan the entire field is poor. That other QBs do it too does not excuse the high rate he does so.

This is a very common problem for QB’s who are in their second year. This is something it’s safe to think he will improve on with more experience and time. The question is, how much will it improve.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don't think that kind of anecdote means anything. There are 4-5 receivers in a play. The QB has a progression to go through. He has guys rushing him. Guys are going to be open and not get thrown to for any QB, for any game, a lot of times, unless the receivers are just failing to win their matchups.

Somebody showed a video of plays where Dez was open but didn't get the ball. Welcome to football.

This is 100% correct. It’s not a mistake by the QB. If he throws to his first read, when the first read was open enough to complete the pass.

Just because the second or third read was “more open”. The QB should never even look at the second or third read, if their first read is open.

jrumann59

Reaction score
That QB rating is pretty mediocre. A TD:INT ratio south of 2 is worse. 3.3K yards is not impressive either.

You expect people to look at those numbers and feel good about them?
That is a little more than 200 yards a game, 208 yards (rounded up) to be exact

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Does Brady or Rodgers not miss open receivers?
It would seem not as often as Dak does

Passes in the 11-20 yard range in 2017 Brady completed 68.8% Rodgers 57.4% and Dak 44%. Passes in this range are the bread and butter for top QB's. Every QB in the NFL (Dak included) completes a high percentage of passes thrown 1-10 yards and every QB in the NFL (Dak included) completes a low percentage of passes thrown 20+ yards. It is in the 11-20 yard range that Top QB's earn their money and Dak was clearly lacking in that area in 2017, in 2016 he was much better in that range, that is why 2018 is such an important year for him and we will get to see which QB we really have, the one from 2016 or the one from last year. Dak will be who he will be after this season

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It would seem not as often as Dak does

Passes in the 11-20 yard range in 2017 Brady completed 68.8% Rodgers 57.4% and Dak 44%. Passes in this range are the bread and butter for top QB's. Every QB in the NFL (Dak included) completes a high percentage of passes thrown 1-10 yards and every QB in the NFL (Dak included) completes a low percentage of passes thrown 20+ yards. It is in the 11-20 yard range that Top QB's earn their money and Dak was clearly lacking in that area in 2017, in 2016 he was much better in that range, that is why 2018 is such an important year for him and we will get to see which QB we really have, the one from 2016 or the one from last year. Dak will be who he will be after this season

How does that stat back up that Dak misses open receivers though?

Roland

Reaction score
So here we are with Romo's health fading and each qb we bring in cannot sniff a "W" much less string together more than any cowboys qb since 1977. Along comes Dak who has the best rookie season EVER in cowboys history. The following season, loses the best LT in the game and the arguably the best RB as well and consequently does not repeat the record setting performance. The obvious conclusion, Dak sucks! :laugh:
Whoa, easy there tiger...I never said Dak sucked. He was very good his first year. As you said, best rookie season ever in Cowboys History. With a healthy Oline (TS) and with Zeke and the running game, when he did throw, he had time to survey the field. The second year, losing TS and Zeke created a different situation and Dak did not have as much time. I saw some happy feet which I don't recall seeing the first year (this can be corrected). I saw missed open receivers. Yes, I know, all QBs miss open receiver... but I wasn't dissing him with the comment. This is an area that will/should improve as he plays more and studies more film. I believe he is a good QB and his arrow is pointing up... and that is a good thing for us fans.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
How does that stat back up that Dak misses open receivers though?
Well lets see if Dak completes approx the same percentage of passes in every other category as every other QB in the league except that one, it is not a far stretch to think that he needs to work on his accuracy or his reads, the numbers in that area are not even close and just so you know (and feel free to look it up or look back in this thread because i already posted links to this) Dak at 44% was the worst starting QB in the NFL, now you might want to blame the recievers or blame it on drops ( although we were one of the better teams in the NFL for total drops in 2017, link also posted earlier) but if all of the recievers on the team all have a down year at the same time well then some of that blame has to be on the QB. Many videos have been posted of Dak missing wide open recievers in 2017, he knows it and has said it is an area he needs to improve (good for him he knows what he needs to work on)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well lets see if Dak completes approx the same percentage of passes in every other category as every other QB in the league except that one, it is not a far stretch to think that he needs to work on his accuracy or his reads, the numbers in that area are not even close and just so you know (and feel free to look it up or look back in this thread because i already posted links to this) Dak at 44% was the worst starting QB in the NFL, now you might want to blame the recievers or blame it on drops ( although we were one of the better teams in the NFL for total drops in 2017, link also posted earlier) but if all of the recievers on the team all have a down year at the same time well then some of that blame has to be on the QB. Many videos have been posted of Dak missing wide open recievers in 2017, he knows it and has said it is an area he needs to improve (good for him he knows what he needs to work on)
What does your eyes tell you when you see Dak and the Cowboys play? Do you see it just as Dak missing receivers? Because I see it as a combination of things. I see it as a outdated playbook. Predictable routes. Poor accuracy. Dak needs to get better. That was never the argument being made. Does this organization put a 2nd year pro in the best situations to win? I don't think so.

Was DAk the worst in the NFL two seasons ago at same stat you posted? So his accuracy got worse?

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
What does your eyes tell you when you see Dak and the Cowboys play? Do you see it just as Dak missing receivers? Because I see it as a combination of things. I see it as a outdated playbook. Predictable routes. Poor accuracy. Dak needs to get better. That was never the argument being made. Does this organization put a 2nd year pro in the best situations to win? I don't think so.

Was DAk the worst in the NFL two seasons ago at same stat you posted? So his accuracy got worse?

I already stated that Dak got worse in 2017 over 2016 In the stat i was talking about. In 2017 i saw a QB with bad footwork (not improved on from 2016 and something he needs to work on) i saw a QB who doesn't really know how to climb the pocket in the face of pressure (he runs alot to the side and right into the rush) i saw a QB who looks down his recievers and i saw a very inaccurate QB in that 11-20 yard range. Now most people want to blame it on the Zeke suspension but if you look closely at his stats, the numbers for him were down (significantly) even thru his 1st 8 games. Opposing teams adjusted to the Dak they had on tape from 2016 and he didn't adjust back, hopefully he can adjust for 2018 because teams are going to do different things again this season. Now one area i agree with you about is our playbook, it is predictable, they need to change that for Dak because he can not (to this point in his career) make the same adjustments at the LOS that Romo was making and that offense was built for Tony not Dak. Our Oline was not as good in 2017 as it was in 2016 but it was nowhere near the worst in the league or even in the bottom half of the league. If it was just Dez having a down season, then it is Dez but when it is Dez, Beasley, Williams, Witten all having a down season at the same time then i say it again alot of that has to be on the QB. Everthing i stated i saw with Dak is correctable and are area's he can improve on and i hope he does but i do believe that after 2018 and 48 games started in the NFL (assuming he plays a full season this year) Dak is going to be who we will see this year for the rest of his career. I think Dak is a good leader, has a solid head on his shoulders and he can play in the NFL, i just think he lacks the overall talent to be a franchise QB, having said that i will be more than happy to come back in here and eat crow if he proves me wrong, which i hope he does

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I already stated that Dak got worse in 2017 over 2016 In the stat i was talking about. In 2017 i saw a QB with bad footwork (not improved on from 2016 and something he needs to work on) i saw a QB who doesn't really know how to climb the pocket in the face of pressure (he runs alot to the side and right into the rush) i saw a QB who looks down his recievers and i saw a very inaccurate QB in that 11-20 yard range. Now most people want to blame it on the Zeke suspension but if you look closely at his stats, the numbers for him were down (significantly) even thru his 1st 8 games. Opposing teams adjusted to the Dak they had on tape from 2016 and he didn't adjust back, hopefully he can adjust for 2018 because teams are going to do different things again this season. Now one area i agree with you about is our playbook, it is predictable, they need to change that for Dak because he can not (to this point in his career) make the same adjustments at the LOS that Romo was making and that offense was built for Tony not Dak. Our Oline was not as good in 2017 as it was in 2016 but it was nowhere near the worst in the league or even in the bottom half of the league. If it was just Dez having a down season, then it is Dez but when it is Dez, Beasley, Williams, Witten all having a down season at the same time then i say it again alot of that has to be on the QB. Everthing i stated i saw with Dak is correctable and are area's he can improve on and i hope he does but i do believe that after 2018 and 48 games started in the NFL (assuming he plays a full season this year) Dak is going to be who we will see this year for the rest of his career. I think Dak is a good leader, has a solid head on his shoulders and he can play in the NFL, i just think he lacks the overall talent to be a franchise QB, having said that i will be more than happy to come back in here and eat crow if he proves me wrong, which i hope he does
The oline was actually I think top 5 in Pressure %. If every analyst/football "expert" is stating the wr's had a bad year, why cant you believe it. There was a post in the other dez thread that showed Dez was in the bottom 10% in route success. Watching the games after zeke and tyron were out, the coaches hung dak out to dry with no change in the gameplan. He's already proven you wrong by winning rookie of the year and setting almost every rookie record out there in 16. First 8 games of 17 looked exactly the same. Kid can play at a high level if you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

Does he need to improve absolutely. But remember it was only his 2nd season. We will know what he is by the end of his rookie deal. And if we need to move on from him or not.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Actually the Cowboys were ranked 26th in the NFL in passing at 196 yards per game. WE were 2nd in rushing in the NFL at 135 yards per game. Jacksonville and Philly were 1st and 3rd respectfully in rushing they were ranked and were ranked 13th (Philly 237 YPG) and 17th (Jacksonville 227 YPG) in passing