Video: Why Dak is the most accurate. NFL Network

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Dak?! Accurate? Tight window throws? Nah, he's just slow reading every WR's route! They're all open at one time or another on the tree. He just waits too long :rolleyes:. I actually learned that on here. Those vids must be doctored. He doesn't read that fast. I learned that on here. :huh::thumbup:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
So the problem seems to be more of an issue of receivers who can't get open, either due to physical limitations or a predictable offense. My money is on the latter.

Well. we added 2 new WR's, rumors keep swirling of others and the draft. Let's see if they have the same physical limitations. You may have to wait a year to find out if it's the predictable offense then it may be Red Man Walkin or Linnehan walkin. Eliminate one piece at a time right. You can't eliminate all at once, then you wouldn't know the real culprit ;)

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
It's not a flawed stat. What it says to me is Brady, Brees and Rodgers don't have to throw in tight windows because their receivers are wide open. And they are. It's not shocking that Stafford and Dak lead this list. None of their guys get much seperation and the have one of the weaker receiving codes.

Not only weak in getting separation but also weak in RAC. Brady's receivers do both. Do you know how Brady's passing yards get so high? 12 yard pass, 8-10 yard RAC. Imagine if our WR's did anything last year with the ball in their hands. Rogers? He was injured half the season and that may have limited the number of tight window throws. Just a thought. Brees? Maybe he didn't have to throw in to tight windows as you say.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
This is one of those "eye of the beholder" deals. It is not a real stat. Its a flawed and has more to do with the judgement of the QB than accuracy. In fact, in one segment of this video clip, Dak chose to throw the ball in a tight window to witten b/c he flat out missed a wide open Rod Smith coming out of the backfield. Dak throws in a lot of tight windows b/c he's locking onto guys and not seeing the whole field.

Just look at this list. No Brady, Brees, or Rodgers? I can't take a stat seriously that is missing all 3 of those guys.

I guess the lack of vision is different than just pure accuracy. Brady, Brees and Rodgers have that and I suppose given time Dak will have to prove that he can develop that.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
This is one of those "eye of the beholder" deals. It is not a real stat. Its a flawed and has more to do with the judgement of the QB than accuracy. In fact, in one segment of this video clip, Dak chose to throw the ball in a tight window to witten b/c he flat out missed a wide open Rod Smith coming out of the backfield. Dak throws in a lot of tight windows b/c he's locking onto guys and not seeing the whole field.

Just look at this list. No Brady, Brees, or Rodgers? I can't take a stat seriously that is missing all 3 of those guys.

That's not what I heard:rolleyes:. I heard they all get open, Dak is just slow reading it and by the time he sees they are and throws, the DB has played superman, read his eyes, and raced back into the play. Jeez, I just don't know what to believe any more. So many experts

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I really love Dak, mostly because I am an unapologetic homer, but I have some problems with this measurement.

1. Look at the other top QBs on this list: Matthew Stafford, Case Keenum, Alex Smith and Big Ben round out the top 5. All good QBs, and I actually think Big Ben is one of the top 3-4 QBs in the league. But where's Tom Brady? Aaron Rodgers? Drew Brees? They're not even in the top 10 on this list.
2. The point of this measurement is that the QBs on this list throw into the smallest windows. So their targets don't have separation at the time of the catch. In the case of this video, the Cowboys WRs have like 0.6-0.7 yards of separation when they make their catches. Wouldn't we be a MUCH better team if our WRs had 5 yards of separation when they made every catch?

Yah. might get a few more YAC if there is 3-5 yards of separation when they make the catch. Stands to reason right. If they're fast enough to get separation before the catch they're probably fast enough to get a few after

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of this Dak discussion is fun but has anyone had their opinion changed from where they were after the last game of 2017?

The only two realities I see about him are he was flat out mind boggling his rookie season and caught everyone off guard, including his own coaching staff. He also benefitted from coming out of nowhere and these DC's didn't have enough prep time and that was exacerbated by the team having the 2nd best run game along with the best run OL. The second reality is that once they did have time to prepare and pick their poison, the pass game, he was not mind boggling but he was not bad.

I don't know what most expect but I think he can lead the team to glory, if he has the right team to lead. He's not Brady, Brees or Rodgers nor will he be but that doesn't mean he can't bring some rings with the right team.

All of this focus on Dak is as misplaced as it was on Romo. Staubach got 2 and Aikman 3 but without those team around them, do they get any?

Is Dak the franchise QB? To answer that we have to know if they're going to build a franchise for him. One built to win games not just entertain and that begins and ends with defense, They're already half way there on offense with a great run game. Dak needs a defense that will allow him to play QB like Roger and Troy did and not passer like White and Romo did.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dak's rookie season was above average but FAR from great. He was incredible at protecting the ball. Among the elite. His stats were decent but nothing special IMO. The team was clicking along and won 13 games.
Fast forward to 2017. His INT's went up but so did his attempts which tarnished his percentages. TDs passing and rushing were the same. The team was NOT as good in 2016, clearly. Anyone who says it was is dim. So while some think Dak was a Jedi in 2016 and are willing to let 2016 slide and then while others think FDak is horribly worse in 2017 than in 2016 I say you're both wrong. Dak was very good, but has work to do.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
All of this Dak discussion is fun but has anyone had their opinion changed from where they were after the last game of 2017?

The only two realities I see about him are he was flat out mind boggling his rookie season and caught everyone off guard, including his own coaching staff. He also benefitted from coming out of nowhere and these DC's didn't have enough prep time and that was exacerbated by the team having the 2nd best run game along with the best run OL. The second reality is that once they did have time to prepare and pick their poison, the pass game, he was not mind boggling but he was not bad.

I don't know what most expect but I think he can lead the team to glory, if he has the right team to lead. He's not Brady, Brees or Rodgers nor will he be but that doesn't mean he can't bring some rings with the right team.

All of this focus on Dak is as misplaced as it was on Romo. Staubach got 2 and Aikman 3 but without those team around them, do they get any?

Is Dak the franchise QB? To answer that we have to know if they're going to build a franchise for him. One built to win games not just entertain and that begins and ends with defense, They're already half way there on offense with a great run game. Dak needs a defense that will allow him to play QB like Roger and Troy did and not passer like White and Romo did.
Great post. Unfortunately, I can only give one "Like"

vlad

Reaction score
Dez was right there with Witten at around 84th in separation.

Exactly. Just like Julio Jones and AJ Green. And .1 and .2 yards behind players like Fitzgerald, Cooper, Michael Thomas, Antonio Brown, Sammy Watkins and Allen Hurns.

He's admittedly nowhere near the top like Randall Cobb, Albert Wilson, and Terrance Williams.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak will go down as the big bubble as did RG3 and Colin Kaepernick and Tim Tebow .....as sooner or later these guys show there true lack of talent as Dak did last year!

vlad

Reaction score
Same thing. If you think Dez separates well, I'd have to conclude you're not watching him all that closely.

What's the same thing? Sorry just not following what you are referencing.

I'm not going to pretend I get the all-22 and breakdown film. If you do that, then that's awesome.

I'm just pointing out what the next-gen stats show , and that my guess is that its much more scheme related than player related. In fact it shows that based on the players in the table they had, Dallas is 25th in separation as a team, and that's with T-Will near the top. The only surprising team behind them is Philadelphia. All the other teams below seem to be not so great (NYG, Den, Ari, Hou, Oak, Ind).

I don't know what to take because you see teams like the Jets at #4, Washington at 7, and Carolina at 1. NE comes in at 19.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's the same thing? Sorry just not following what you are referencing.

I'm not going to pretend I get the all-22 and breakdown film. If you do that, then that's awesome.

I'm just pointing out what the next-gen stats show , and that my guess is that its much more scheme related than player related. In fact it shows that based on the players in the table they had, Dallas is 25th in separation as a team, and that's with T-Will near the top. The only surprising team behind them is Philadelphia. All the other teams below seem to be not so great (NYG, Den, Ari, Hou, Oak, Ind).

I don't know what to take because you see teams like the Jets at #4, Washington at 7, and Carolina at 1. NE comes in at 19.

Our Wr are fine its the other half of the equation that's the problem....as long as no 4 is QB no Wr or Te will be good enough to excuse his lousy QB play back there...!!!!

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Not only weak in getting separation but also weak in RAC. Brady's receivers do both. Do you know how Brady's passing yards get so high? 12 yard pass, 8-10 yard RAC. Imagine if our WR's did anything last year with the ball in their hands. Rogers? He was injured half the season and that may have limited the number of tight window throws. Just a thought. Brees? Maybe he didn't have to throw in to tight windows as you say.
Good points.

Brees had Kamara. Short dump offs. He was not going deep or forcing the ball as much. My FF team paid the price.

BlindFaith

Reaction score

You don't have to win games to be considered a franchise QB. As long as they do their job. Dak needs upgraded receiving threats.

Aikman had Irvin, Harper, Novacheck.
Romo had Glenn, TO, Austin and his security blanket Witten, in his prime.
Dak has had what? A deminished Dez and an over the hill Witten.

Hurns and Thompson will help. Reducing Wittens snaps and playing someone more dynamic will help. Getting him that lead dog in his prime will help a lot.

Dorsett33

Reaction score

Well, if you don't believe those three QBs you named haven't missed wide open receivers....then you need to either watch more football closely. Or, become a coach where you can see more of the field instead of just tv.

What's more funny is when articles are posted about Dak that's in a negative tone, some of you tend to believe it. But, if it's positive, then it's NOT REAL. It's NOT REAL STATS. Or, it's just flat out LIES to some of you. And if you don't think Rodgers throws into tight windows.....again, you better watch more football. Or become a coach. Smh