Why Dak still sucks

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
All this BS arguing over 200 yards. The mythical 200 yard benchmark.

200 yards as a benchmark doesnt matter. Not in the least.

What does matter is YPA. Now Dak’s YPA was still lower than I would like against the Jags. I would like to see his YPA be a full yard or so higher.

This team isn’t built to throw the ball 30+ times a game. So being that far beyond 200 yards per game isn’t a realistic expectation most games. Unless we expect him to average 9-10 YPA. Which is a bit much considering the level of talent at receiver.

If Dak averages 8 YPA over his 25 attempts that would have put him at exactly 200 yards. So even having a solid YPA against the jags would have only put him at exactly 200 yards.

If you want the same people complaining about not throwing for 200 yards against the Jaguars to reverse course and start coming up with excuses for why throwing for under 200 yards doesn't matter, bring up the fact Romo didn't throw for 200 yards against GB in the 2014 playoff game. Throwing for 200 yards won't be so important then. It's very important Dak didn't throw for 200 yards in a 33 point win but very unimportant in a 5 point season ending loss. Just point it out and watch the typical double standard hypocrisy begin.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
If you want the same people complaining about not throwing for 200 yards against the Jaguars to reverse course and start coming up with excuses for why throwing for under 200 yards doesn't matter, bring up the fact Romo didn't throw for 200 yards against GB in the 2014 playoff game. Throwing for 200 yards won't be so important then. It's very important Dak didn't throw for 200 yards in a 33 point win but very unimportant in a 5 point season ending loss. Just point it out and watch the typical double standard hypocrisy begin.
The Cowboys lost that game. They needed more than 200 yards passing in that game to win it (as the Dez catch would have given them).

I think the point people are making with Dak’s passing yards against Jax is not that it is important to always throw for 200 yards. The point is that on the list of reasons that the Cowboys won that game Dak’s arm is several notches down from the top. Dak’s legs, Zeke’s success grinding the game down, the defense, turnovers, Maher, and a lot of luck (fumbles bouncing in an odd but fortuitous way) were all bigger keys. Just like if Dallas had won that playoff game vs GB in 2015 Romo’s arm would have been way down on the list of reasons they won that. Murray’s running, the defense keeping Rodgers and co. in the mid-20s at home, Romo’s game management, etcetera would have been the reason they won. Not Tony slinging it all around the yard. The problem with Dak is not him throwing for sub 200 yards in wins, it’s the fact that when the chips are down and nothing is working Dak will NEVER be able to put this or any team on his back and sling it around for 300-400 yards and carry them to a win. Romo could do that. There’s probably 20-ish starters in the league that can do that (hell Brock Osweiler did it off the bench). Dak can’t be counted on to do that, and that’s a gigantic handicap to have in 2018 NFL.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Bottom line...

Dak is ranked 29th in passing yards.

30th in 3rd downs

Dallas is 25th in points scored

We are not going to win a lot of football games with these stats.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The Cowboys lost that game. They needed more than 200 yards passing in that game to win it (as the Dez catch would have given them).

I think the point people are making with Dak’s passing yards against Jax is not that it is important to always throw for 200 yards. The point is that on the list of reasons that the Cowboys won that game Dak’s arm is several notches down from the top. Dak’s legs, Zeke’s success grinding the game down, the defense, turnovers, Maher, and a lot of luck (fumbles bouncing in an odd but fortuitous way) were all bigger keys. Just like if Dallas had won that playoff game vs GB in 2015 Romo’s arm would have been way down on the list of reasons they won that. Murray’s running, the defense keeping Rodgers and co. in the mid-20s at home, Romo’s game management, etcetera would have been the reason they won. Not Tony slinging it all around the yard. The problem with Dak is not him throwing for sub 200 yards in wins, it’s the fact that when the chips are down and nothing is working Dak will NEVER be able to put this or any team on his back and sling it around for 300-400 yards and carry them to a win. Romo could do that. There’s probably 20-ish starters in the league that can do that (hell Brock Osweiler did it off the bench). Dak can’t be counted on to do that, and that’s a gigantic handicap to have in 2018 NFL.
It will always boil down to this. Romo was better than Dak and because of that people don't want to move on and prefer to remain stuck in 2016. People want a QB driven team like we had when Romo was here. And Dak isn't that QB so even in 33 point wins they are unhappy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You're right. All the real good QBs throw for under 200 yards.

It is not a matter of how many yards it is how efficient you are with your passing. Hell I have seen Romo throw for 500 yards and lose so tell me what good is 500 yards outside of fantasy football? In this past game Dak 1st half of 151 passing and helping put up a 24-0 lead was big. Now Dallas could have come out throwing to get Dak yards but then we saw Romo have a good lead vs Det and Dallas came out throwing and in the end Dallas lost that game and you guys came in hollering and complaining how Dallas should have ran the ball with Murray and not gone to the air that much. This time Dallas has the lead and grinds out a 40-7 game with little passing in the 2nd half and you still complain. I think you just like complaining. I will not put Dak in the category of Rodgers but Dallas can win with Dak and when you get right down to it winning is the only stat that matters the rest of it is message board BS

ClintDagger

Reaction score
It will always boil down to this. Romo was better than Dak and because of that people don't want to move on and prefer to remain stuck in 2016. People want a QB driven team like we had when Romo was here. And Dak isn't that QB so even in 33 point wins they are unhappy.
I think people are happy with the 40-7 win. But what does that have to do with Dak being an inadequate passer? Now if this team rips off several wins in a row and Dak is throwing for 160 and running for 80, and people are still complaining then you might have a point. But I think most people believe Sunday was probably an anomaly. And I also think it has less to do with Dak being not as good as Romo, and more to do with him being not as good as 25+ other starters in the league. I don’t think any fanbase should be happy with a bottom 5 in the league starter especially in 2018 NFL.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I think people are happy with the 40-7 win. But what does that have to do with Dak being an inadequate passer? Now if this team rips off several wins in a row and Dak is throwing for 160 and running for 80, and people are still complaining then you might have a point. But I think most people believe Sunday was probably an anomaly. And I also think it has less to do with Dak being not as good as Romo, and more to do with him being not as good as 25+ other starters in the league. I don’t think any fanbase should be happy with a bottom 5 in the league starter especially in 2018 NFL.
I will respectfully disagree. Wanting a new QB is one thing, this irrational hate this OP has is on par with the Romo hating idiots that talked about hats, golf, and Cabo all the time. Even after a 33 point win the OP had to rush out to remind everyone our QB still sucks and dissect every mistake. This is 100% about Romo love and Dak hate and has nothing to do with simply wanting a better QB.

Reactions: G2

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
wrong. its not about ONE game of not reaching the "mythical" 200. but when you consistently struggle and only can get CLOSE in the 4th against prevent defenses, then you have a problem as a QB. every QB, including tom brady, Rodgers, brees etc. has had bad games here and there...but not consistently. that's the point that excuses for dak fall apart...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It is not a matter of how many yards it is how efficient you are with your passing. Hell I have seen Romo throw for 500 yards and lose so tell me what good is 500 yards outside of fantasy football? In this past game Dak 1st half of 151 passing and helping put up a 24-0 lead was big. Now Dallas could have come out throwing to get Dak yards but then we saw Romo have a good lead vs Det and Dallas came out throwing and in the end Dallas lost that game and you guys came in hollering and complaining how Dallas should have ran the ball with Murray and not gone to the air that much. This time Dallas has the lead and grinds out a 40-7 game with little passing in the 2nd half and you still complain. I think you just like complaining. I will not put Dak in the category of Rodgers but Dallas can win with Dak and when you get right down to it winning is the only stat that matters the rest of it is message board BS
dallas did come out throwing. there were 10 pass plays in the 3rd quarter.....

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Totally agree. I have said the same thing over and over. Same thing when they say Dak can't throw for 300 yards and put the team on his back but don't bring up the playoff game against GB. Dak put the team on his shoulders and gave us a chance to win that game but the defense gave up the last second FG. Had that been Romo you would have heard every excuse in the book but wouldn't have been his fault. I think some will complain no matter the outcome and add the fact they don't like Dak and you get this BS they constantly write.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
I will respectfully disagree. Wanting a new QB is one thing, this irrational hate this OP has is on par with the Romo hating idiots that talked about hats, golf, and Cabo all the time. Even after a 33 point win the OP had to rush out to remind everyone our QB still sucks and dissect every mistake. This is 100% about Romo love and Dak hate and has nothing to do with simply wanting a better QB.
This is the internet. I’m sure there are people on Patriots forums ripping on Brady too. But at the end of the day you are wrong about this criticism being about Romo. The criticism of Dak goes well beyond the fanbase. There are national pundits saying the same things that Dak’s level headed critics on this board are saying. Look at what Aikman said. In the nicest way possible he said Dak isn’t accurate enough and never will be. That’s a real indictment of a QB in this day and age.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Clearly 1 game is not a season and if Dallas goes right back to an offense that is not putting up points and struggling to get 1st downs people will certainly have a right to complain. However unlike some I don't care as much about passing yardage especially on a team who is a run 1st team. Hell Aikman for a career avg 199 passing and his best season he avg 211 per game, clearly not as high as QB like Young and Kelly. In the end Dallas won to me that is the stat that carries weight

Ken

Reaction score

What are you talking about?

He threw us i to the Green Bay playoff game and almost won it with over 300 yards. He has had at least a few 300 yard games...

He threw the ball 62 yards in the air on the ball to Austin that he overthrew. I watched the week before, Mahomes thow the ball 65 that he put everything into and underthrew. He routinely throws bullets on the run off his back foot, just like the "big arm" guys do.

You guys who say he doesn't have the arm are clueless.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Totally agree. I have said the same thing over and over. Same thing when they say Dak can't throw for 300 yards and put the team on his back but don't bring up the playoff game against GB. Dak put the team on his shoulders and gave us a chance to win that game but the defense gave up the last second FG. Had that been Romo you would have heard every excuse in the book but wouldn't have been his fault. I think some will complain no matter the outcome and add the fact they don't like Dak and you get this BS they constantly write.

True, winning is what is expected and when you fail you catch hell and Romo caught hell even though as you said some in the fan base would excuse it but nationally critics would come down on Romo because he and the team failed in post season. Part of being QB to much credit and too much blame. In the end I don't expect Dak to be Romo I expect Dak to play to his own strength and help this team win. If he does great and if not Dallas will be looking for a QB down the road.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
This is the internet. I’m sure there are people on Patriots forums ripping on Brady too. But at the end of the day you are wrong about this criticism being about Romo. The criticism of Dak goes well beyond the fanbase. There are national pundits saying the same things that Dak’s level headed critics on this board are saying. Look at what Aikman said. In the nicest way possible he said Dak isn’t accurate enough and never will be. That’s a real indictment of a QB in this day and age.
No, I'm not wrong. The key phrase you said is "level headed critics" which the OP is not. The OP is a biased Romo loving fan that has every excuse in the book to shield Romo from any mistake and complains about every Dak mistake including "almost mistakes". Just because he also includes some rational reasons that "level headed critics" also bring up doesn't mean his motivation isn't Romo.

You seem to be reading my posts with what YOUR intention is. If you are a level headed critic then great. I don't recall much of what you write. Hopefully you're a level headed critic on all of our players. I'll try to be a little more observant of your posting patterns. I respect level headed criticism.

Ken

Reaction score
Great points and so true.

Whiners are never happy and constantly move the goalpost...lol

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Clearly 1 game is not a season and if Dallas goes right back to an offense that is not putting up points and struggling to get 1st downs people will certainly have a right to complain. However unlike some I don't care as much about passing yardage especially on a team who is a run 1st team. Hell Aikman for a career avg 199 passing and his best season he avg 211 per game, clearly not as high as QB like Young and Kelly. In the end Dallas won to me that is the stat that carries weight
Aikman played in a different era. He’s providing analysis for the current era. I think the games where Dak is getting criticism are games like at CAR and at HOU where 17 points wins each game in regulation and he threw for 170 and 179 yards respectively. That’s where this team needed him to do it with his arm and he couldn’t. I don’t think the critics should have to forget about how poorly Dak has thrown the ball over the past 14 or so games just because this team deviated from its philosophy for one game. Dak is going to have to show that he can consistently win games for this team to back off the critics. If he can do that by passing for sub-200 and running for around 80 then great. I’ll have to see that approach consistently work in this era of NFL before I’ll believe it.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I see what you're saying and agree.
The big difference though is that Aikman could air it out with the best of them and defenses had to respect that which opened up the ground game.

You may not have to throw for big yards every game but you do need to be able to throw for big yards if you want to compete for championships.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Dude. How much are you going to obsess over that throw.

Ramsey is the best CB in the league. You’re obsessing over a near interception by the best cornerback in the league and hammering on it over and again. I mean sheesh.

The receiver also misplayed the heck out of that ball too by the way. Didn’t even turn his head to look at it. Otherwise he had a chance to catch it.

Top NFL WRs catch those types of contested balls when a DB has great, tight coverage on them. Dez at his prime made those types of tough, physical catches, even when a defensive back played the ball well enough to knock it away or even pick it off. As I said before I can admit that Dak has some improvements he needs to work on to better his game.

But, some acting like the Cowboys WR corps are one of the best if the NFL. And that Dak's the sole reason for any incomplete passes or INTs. When some of them have been the fault of the WRs for not playing the ball well enough or dropping balls that hit them in the hands. Some will avoid giving the WRs their fair share of accountability when the passing game struggles, just to blame Dak 100%.

Getting to the point where I think that even if Dak puts up big numbers in passing this season, that some will still be upset about it and resent him just like they did in 2016. Because they'll just forever see Dak as the one who "forced" Romo out of a job and "stole" Romo's starting position.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes. Dak's "efficient" 190 yards a game passing is really carving up the league.