Why Dak still sucks

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If you want the same people complaining about not throwing for 200 yards against the Jaguars to reverse course and start coming up with excuses for why throwing for under 200 yards doesn't matter, bring up the fact Romo didn't throw for 200 yards against GB in the 2014 playoff game. Throwing for 200 yards won't be so important then. It's very important Dak didn't throw for 200 yards in a 33 point win but very unimportant in a 5 point season ending loss. Just point it out and watch the typical double standard hypocrisy begin.

OH please.

Let's point to Romo not throwing for 200 yards a time or two vs Dak doing it every game.. Come on.

Dak sucks at throwing. Just call it what it is.

Our offense is fantastic though when Cole Beasley is available to him. When Cole Beasley is shut down Dak is mediocre at best.

It's all about Cole Beasley.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
It is not a matter of how many yards it is how efficient you are with your passing. Hell I have seen Romo throw for 500 yards and lose so tell me what good is 500 yards outside of fantasy football? In this past game Dak 1st half of 151 passing and helping put up a 24-0 lead was big. Now Dallas could have come out throwing to get Dak yards but then we saw Romo have a good lead vs Det and Dallas came out throwing and in the end Dallas lost that game and you guys came in hollering and complaining how Dallas should have ran the ball with Murray and not gone to the air that much. This time Dallas has the lead and grinds out a 40-7 game with little passing in the 2nd half and you still complain. I think you just like complaining. I will not put Dak in the category of Rodgers but Dallas can win with Dak and when you get right down to it winning is the only stat that matters the rest of it is message board BS

I also remember that Green Bay game where Murray was running the ball well against them and Dallas was controlling the game. But, for some reason Garrett came out in the second half and had Romo throwing it more. And if I recall things correctly then the Cowboys lost that game. Because the coaching staff decided that putting up more numbers for Romo's stats was more important than sticking to the run game.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
No, I'm not wrong. The key phrase you said is "level headed critics" which the OP is not. The OP is a biased Romo loving fan that has every excuse in the book to shield Romo from any mistake and complains about every Dak mistake including "almost mistakes". Just because he also includes some rational reasons that "level headed critics" also bring up doesn't mean his motivation isn't Romo.

You seem to be reading my posts with what YOUR intention is. If you are a level headed critic then great. I don't recall much of what you write. Hopefully you're a level headed critic on all of our players. I'll try to be a little more observant of your posting patterns. I respect level headed criticism.
From what I have read from you today you are making this more about Romo being better than Dak and not the OP. What I’m saying is that the general criticism of Dak is not about Romo. That’s where you are wrong IMO. If you are now bringing it back to just disputing one irrational hater then that is fine. Nobody who looks at this stuff with a level head will support irrational haters or irrational defenders of any player. It’s always going to be more nuanced than that. Even I as a pretty hard critic of Dak acknowledge that he’s a legit starter in this league. I don’t think he’s a bum that shouldn’t be in the league or anything. I just think he’s a bottom 5 starter IF you use him as a pocket passer. If you start using his legs more, well the jury is out on that. I don’t think that is a sustainable formula and I’d prefer to go find our version of a Goff or Wentz, but for now let’s give it a try and see what happens. By now we know Dak can’t consistently win games for us in a traditional way and he’s going to be our QB for better or worse for 26+ more games. So let’s see what he can do using his legs more.

I guess I will leave it at this. If you are disputing one irrational hater and at the same time acknowledging that much of the criticism of Dak as a pure passer is warranted then I think you and I are not far off.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes. Dak's "efficient" 190 yards a game passing is really carving up the league.

Who said anything about carving up the league. No one has ever won a game by how many passing yards they put up, they win because they put up more points. I know in your fantasy football yards mean something. Job of Dak is leading this offense and helping them win ball games, if he can do that great if he can't then he will be replaced it is that simple. I love Romo but fact is all those passing records did not mean a damn thing, this team lost period. I'm not impressed by big numbers I am impressed by wins.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I see what you're saying and agree.
The big difference though is that Aikman could air it out with the best of them and defenses had to respect that which opened up the ground game.

You may not have to throw for big yards every game but you do need to be able to throw for big yards if you want to compete for championships.

and Dak has had 300 plus game, I don't agree you have to pass for big yards to win a championship. Seattle and Russell Wilson was ranked last in passing the year they won the SB. Wilson made few mistakes he ran the ball when he had to and was efficient with his throws. They leaned on a big time run game and a very good defense.

Ken

Reaction score
and Dak has had 300 plus game, I don't agree you have to pass for big yards to win a championship. Seattle and Russell Wilson was ranked last in passing the year they won the SB. Wilson made few mistakes he ran the ball when he had to and was efficient with his throws. They leaned on a big time run game and a very good defense.
We are built very similar to that team too.

Haters want big yards and L's though.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
What are you talking about?

He threw us i to the Green Bay playoff game and almost won it with over 300 yards. He has had at least a few 300 yard games...

He threw the ball 62 yards in the air on the ball to Austin that he overthrew. I watched the week before, Mahomes thow the ball 65 that he put everything into and underthrew. He routinely throws bullets on the run off his back foot, just like the "big arm" guys do.

You guys who say he doesn't have the arm are clueless.
What do you mean what am I talking about? What are you talking about? Where did I say anything about arm strength? I’m talking overall arm talent which Dak doesn’t have. Arm talent is about accuracy, quick release, etcetera. Dak’s arm strength is fine. You’ll never see me say that’s a deficiency. Is Dak capable of throwing for 300 yards once in a blue moon? Sure he is. Brock Osweiler just did it (almost 400 actually) for crying out loud. Anything is possible but the NFL isn’t about what you can do once in 20+ games, it’s about what are you consistently capable of doing. I think Dak’s thrown for 300+ once in his last 22 games or so and there have been plenty of games along the way where it called for him to put the team on his back and throw for big yards and it didn’t happen.

You bring up the GB playoff game. I was very impressed with Dak after that and had high hopes he was our guy. But guess what? The league had 17 games of film on Dak and adjusted to how they defended him and for the most part since then he has looked very pedestrian as a pocket passer. You are pointing to one game almost 2 years ago, and I’m pointing to 22 games in the 21 months since then. Which deserves more weight in your estimation?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
"hatred" - a child's take on an honest evaluation of his skills.
If you're unhappy with Prescott's performance helping the team put up a 40 burger on a defense that ranks top 5 in every category you're a hater. Get cute with the insults, it's very telling.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We are built very similar to that team too.

Haters want big yards and L's though.

Evidently so, I want wins. If Dak does that they great, if not then his future become a lot less certain. For me I don't sit around wishing and complaining. Like it or not this is our team and Dak is the QB. For him to have success he will need to use the gifts he has which is athletic ability to run and to throw. Dallas will use a great RB and what looks to be a very good defense. I think they are very capable of putting up a very good season and competing. What I hope to see as the season progress is guys like Gallup and Swaim get more and more in sync with Dak and he with them to make this offense better

Reactions: Ken

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If you want the same people complaining about not throwing for 200 yards against the Jaguars to reverse course and start coming up with excuses for why throwing for under 200 yards doesn't matter, bring up the fact Romo didn't throw for 200 yards against GB in the 2014 playoff game. Throwing for 200 yards won't be so important then. It's very important Dak didn't throw for 200 yards in a 33 point win but very unimportant in a 5 point season ending loss. Just point it out and watch the typical double standard hypocrisy begin.
Or, look at Romo's first playoff game where he put up over 300 yards. Is that somehow better than a win? Remember the "go to" Denver game? I guess 500 yards to them justifies a loss.
But if you flipped it and Dak threw for 300-500 yards but lost the same idiots would claim "It doesn't matter if we lost."

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
wrong. its not about ONE game of not reaching the "mythical" 200. but when you consistently struggle and only can get CLOSE in the 4th against prevent defenses, then you have a problem as a QB. every QB, including tom brady, Rodgers, brees etc. has had bad games here and there...but not consistently. that's the point that excuses for dak fall apart...
But this thread is about the Jags game.

Ken

Reaction score
What do you mean what am I talking about? What are you talking about? Where did I say anything about arm strength? I’m talking overall arm talent which Dak doesn’t have. Arm talent is about accuracy, quick release, etcetera. Dak’s arm strength is fine. You’ll never see me say that’s a deficiency. Is Dak capable of throwing for 300 yards once in a blue moon? Sure he is. Brock Osweiler just did it (almost 400 actually) for crying out loud. Anything is possible but the NFL isn’t about what you can do once in 20+ games, it’s about what are you consistently capable of doing. I think Dak’s thrown for 300+ once in his last 22 games or so and there have been plenty of games along the way where it called for him to put the team on his back and throw for big yards and it didn’t happen.

You bring up the GB playoff game. I was very impressed with Dak after that and had high hopes he was our guy. But guess what? The league had 17 games of film on Dak and adjusted to how they defended him and for the most part since then he has looked very pedestrian as a pocket passer. You are pointing to one game almost 2 years ago, and I’m pointing to 22 games in the 21 months since then. Which deserves more weight in your estimation?
I will sy what i have been saying since last year....

He has NO dynamic weapons in the passing game. None.

Last year at least he had witten who could move the chains when he would catch and fall down.

He also had mr. 50/50....

But that isn't enough and I said it last year. We need team speed...we need it bad. Deonte may time fast but he doesn't play fast. I like Austin but unfortunately he has never shown to be a dynamic playmaker in the NFL. I believe Dak has gotten a lot out of him so far and his number could be better too if he catches a couple of the balls that he dropped.

I will keep saying it...we have no weapons. None. To ask any qb to go to war with this group is laughable. I only hope that Gallop can figure it out and Gathers.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
It is not a matter of how many yards it is how efficient you are with your passing. Hell I have seen Romo throw for 500 yards and lose so tell me what good is 500 yards outside of fantasy football? In this past game Dak 1st half of 151 passing and helping put up a 24-0 lead was big. Now Dallas could have come out throwing to get Dak yards but then we saw Romo have a good lead vs Det and Dallas came out throwing and in the end Dallas lost that game and you guys came in hollering and complaining how Dallas should have ran the ball with Murray and not gone to the air that much. This time Dallas has the lead and grinds out a 40-7 game with little passing in the 2nd half and you still complain. I think you just like complaining. I will not put Dak in the category of Rodgers but Dallas can win with Dak and when you get right down to it winning is the only stat that matters the rest of it is message board BS

1. Without those 500 yards Dallas is rolled off the field and has zero chance at winning that game. It wasn't about fantasy.
2. Dallas did come out throwing. 10 called pass plays is a pace of 40 per game.
3. Who are you lumping into "you guys came in hollering and complaining?"

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Or, look at Romo's first playoff game where he put up under yards. Is that somehow better than a win? Remember the "go to" Denver game? I guess 500 yards to them justifies a loss.
But if you flipped it and Dak threw for 200-500 yards but lost the same idiots would claim "It doesn't matter if we lost."

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Who said anything about carving up the league. No one has ever won a game by how many passing yards they put up, they win because they put up more points. I know in your fantasy football yards mean something. Job of Dak is leading this offense and helping them win ball games, if he can do that great if he can't then he will be replaced it is that simple. I love Romo but fact is all those passing records did not mean a damn thing, this team lost period. I'm not impressed by big numbers I am impressed by wins.

That's fine. So if the team scored 40 with Dak passing for 180 yards, can we assume that if Romo threw for 500 yards and 5 TD, then we would have scored in the neighborhood of 70 or so and still won?

I mean, I get the wins are the most important thing. No one is arguing that.
But implying that Romo's 500 yard, 5 TD game against the Broncos was somehow a demonstration of inferior QB play simply because the defense decided to give up 54 points that day, is so asinine, it is almost beyond comprehension.

I'm a Dak critic. I'm not at all sold on him being the long term answer for the Cowboys at the QB spot. I'll be up front with that.

I'll also call it straight and say he had a very good and efficient game the other day. Probably his best game so far this year. He saw many of the open receivers that he'd been missing and his passes were for the most part more accurate on Sunday. Those are all reasons to celebrate. He earned some praise on Sunday and he should get it.

I'm also not naive. In today's NFL, if your QB averages 180 a game, you are going to win more than you lose in the long run. The win Sunday was a great win. We should all enjoy it.

But pretending that we can continue to get that kind of production out of Prescott and keep winning 40-7 every week is simply not realistic. At some point he's going to have to step up his accuracy, his reads, his overall performance, if this team is going to win big games. We have the leagues leading rusher and a top 4 defense both in terms of yards allowed and 2nd in points allowed.

And we're a .500 team.
Sorry man, but that's bull****. You have the leagues leading rusher and a top 3 defense and you're sitting at .500? There ain't no way around that bro. Dak played well Sunday but at this point, that performance is the exception. Not the rule. And it needs to get better and more consistent if we are going to have these wins you seem to cherish so much.

Ken

Reaction score
Or, look at Romo's first playoff game where he put up over 300 yards. Is that somehow better than a win? Remember the "go to" Denver game? I guess 500 yards to them justifies a loss.
But if you flipped it and Dak threw for 300-500 yards but lost the same idiots would claim "It doesn't matter if we lost."
Or it was a crap defense haha

It never ends. We just beat the #1 defense in the league and Dak had the 2nd highest QBR in the league and they still complain lol

Reactions: G2

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes, yards is not indicative at all to points on the scoreboard. Guys like Brees and Rodgers and their gaudy passing stats don't help an offense any more than the Ryan Tannehills of the league. It's all about how efficient your 190 yards a game are. That's the key.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Last in passing?

I'll take your word for it but looking up his stats for that year shows over 200 yds/gm, over 8 yds/att and a rating of over 101.

Sure, they rode that all world defense and beast mode but they could pass the ball and I'm sure defenses didn't just dare Wilson to throw like they are doing to Dak.

One dimensional teams don't win consistently.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I would agree Dak is not a top pocket passer so it falls to the coaches to play to what he does best. I don't really give a damn about 300 yards what I do care about is putting up points and avoiding the critical mistakes that can cost you games. I think Dak future is uncertain, I will not sit here and claim he is the savior but right now he is the QB and it falls to him to help this team win games and to do that he has to play to his strength not try to be someone he isn't. He his 63% of his passes last week and threw 2 TD and 0 ints to me that is being efficient with his throws and along with his running ability which accounted for 80 yards and a 1 TD helped his team blow out Jacksonville. I would add Dak rushing fell a few yards short of Staubach

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes, yards is not indicative at all to points on the scoreboard. Guys like Brees and Rodgers and their gaudy passing stats don't help an offense any more than the Ryan Tannehills of the league. It's all about how efficient your 190 yards a game are. That's the key.

I think Brees and Rodgers are great QB and yes they can put up big numbers and are very efficient with their throws. I have never once said Dak is like Brees or Rodgers and yes I would love to have either one on my team. However Dak is the QB and he must play to his strength not pretend to be someone he is not. For those who want to pine over Dak not being Rodgers or Brees that is fine, my interest is in taking what we have and playing to what he does best. It has been Proven that style of play can win games and SB. Last time I checked Russell Wilson and Cam Newton have just as many SB rings as does Rodgers and Brees