Why Daryl Johnston says firing Jason Garrett would 'sabotage' the Cowboys

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would wager most "locals" will not support Garrett if he fails to make the playoffs in 2018.
That’s a fair accusation. We shall see. I’d agree it might have decreased some over the years.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
They might be more qualified. Doesn't mean they are right.

So any defense of a head coach that starts with............ "hey these guys are more qualified than you" pretty much ignores history where guys more qualified than fans have continually spit the bit in their leadership roles.

Shoot, the leaders of the Cowboys haven't sniffed a conference title game in 20+ years. But yeah........ they are "qualified"!

There's that enormous ego I was talking about. See unlike a lot of fans, those in charge don't see things as just black and white. They see and understand there can be and usually are many many things that are not the fault of the coach for not reaching a championship game. If the coach is well like and respected by the players and they have a good locker room and the team isn't stuck in continual losing seasons and there are signs that the team could get things done then there's not going to be the knee jerk response that fans have. If Jerry's or Stephen's door is constantly open by players complaining about Garrett then they would put that win or else leash on him and nobody knows for sure but I doubt that is the case. Lastly if making those decisions were so easy and just black and white then at least one of these ultra ego users here that think they know all there is to know about the NFL would have been hired by some NFL team but unfortunately for those users with their ultra egos, teams look for at least some previous experience other than sitting on one's couch.

Sydla

Reaction score
There's that enormous ego I was talking about. See unlike a lot of fans, those in charge don't see things as just black and white. They see and understand there can be and usually are many many things that are not the fault of the coach for not reaching a championship game. If the coach is well like and respected by the players and they have a good locker room and the team isn't stuck in continual losing seasons and there are signs that the team could get things done then there's not going to be the knee jerk response that fans have. If Jerry's or Stephen's door is constantly open by players complaining about Garrett then they would put that win or else leash on him and nobody knows for sure but I doubt that is the case. Lastly if making those decisions were so easy and just black and white then at least one of these ultra ego users here that think they know all there is to know about the NFL would have been hired by some NFL team but unfortunately for those users with their ultra egos, teams look for at least some previous experience other than sitting on one's couch.

So on one hand you talk about them being qualified but then turn around and argue that if the GM/owner and players really like the guy and they aren't losing a ton of games, let's not replace the coach.

That's the exact opposite of having qualified, intelligent football people in charge. Because they are then putting personal feelings and emotion into the equation and that's something no GM should ever do.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Apparently only the local fan base matters in this situation! Where are those people on game day when 75% of the stadium is rooting for the other team. But they vehemently support Garret? lol Like that 57% number couldn't possibly drop after 3 more years of nothing.

When you exaggerate and exaggerate as much as you just did, then you lose all credibility. The Cowboys sell out games. The visiting teams are allotted 35% of the tickets for a game. According to the Cowboys the visiting teams have sold out their tickets only during a couple playoff games. If by the Friday before the game at 1:00 any remaining visitor tickets can then be bought by the home team fans. I've watched the Cowboys from their very first game and I've never seen or heard 75% of the fans at the stadium cheering for the visiting team. You might cheer for the visitors but the hugely vast majority of fans in the stands cheer for the Cowboys.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
So on one hand you talk about them being qualified but then turn around and argue that if the GM/owner and players really like the guy and they aren't losing a ton of games, let's not replace the coach.

That's the exact opposite of having qualified, intelligent football people in charge. Because they are then putting personal feelings and emotion into the equation and that's something no GM should ever do.
Some of these fans are just worried that we'll go from mediocre to awful. In the end who cares? It's the same results.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Apparently only the local fan base matters in this situation! Where are those people on game day when 75% of the stadium is rooting for the other team. But they vehemently support Garret? lol Like that 57% number couldn't possibly drop after 3 more years of nothing.
I think it’s reasonable to assume it has decreased. The bigger point was to discount there is Zero support.

That support doesn’t mean they don’t see some of the the flaws and concerns we have all raised.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think it’s reasonable to assume it has decreased. The bigger point was to discount there is Zero support.

That support doesn’t mean they don’t see some of the the flaws and concerns we have all raised.

No one has ever claimed there aren't people that still support Garrett.

Like most of your Garrett debates, you set up strawman arguments.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some of these fans are just worried that we'll go from mediocre to awful. In the end who cares? It's the same results.
I think that’s a valid concern. Nothing more important than having 16 meaningful games.

I haven’t missed a game in over 53 years. Nothing worse than season over by Thanksgiving. Most fans yearn for a consistent contender.

Not sure where this SB or Bust mentality comes from?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No one has ever claimed there aren't people that still support Garrett.

Like most of your Garrett debates, you set up strawman arguments.
I attempt to provide another perspective. Perhaps one everyone hadn’t considered for a more balanced discussion however unpopular it might appear to some.

If you just want to circle the wagons like a Lynch Mob your certainly entitled to do so. I have no problem going up against it especially when I believe so strongly .

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's over seven years with Garrett as head coach, a decade overall. "Knee jerk" left town 5 years ago.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I attempt to provide another perspective. Perhaps one everyone hadn’t considered for a more balanced discussion however unpopular it might appear to some.

If you just want to circle the wagons like a Lynch Mob your certainly entitled to do so.

A "perspective" full of false narratives and baseless, unsupported claims.

And if anyone is "circling the wagons", it's you and the vast minority of people still beating the drum for Jason Garrett. Your numbers are in endangered species territory.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
It's over seven years with Garrett as head coach, a decade overall. "Knee jerk" left town 5 years ago.
We're supposed to suffer year after year and the only thing that changes are our ages. I was 30 the last time the Cowboys played for anything important. I never understood the just give him time defense. All over the league teams are having more success than the Cowboys. Some are just satisfied with a playoff appearance every few years. I want to win something.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

No you're trying to put words into my mouth and FAILED. I said UNLIKE FANS with their HUGE egos that make knee jerk reactions to things, experienced NFL people KNOW AND UNDERSTAND there are many many reasons why a team did not make it to the championship game. I then said IF THE PLAYERS liked and respected the coach and if the LOCKER ROOM was good and as long as PLAYERS weren't continually complaining to management about the coach and if the team wasn't stuck in continual losing seasons and have signs that if there aren't injuries to key starters and/or suspensions to starters they could get there, management isn't going to make the same knee jerk reaction that those fans with the ultra egos tend to do. At no time did I say the GM liked or disliked the coach or used personal emotions in deciding a coaches fate.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Some have been calling for his firing for 6 years and have just continued their knee jerk reaction.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

And if anyone is "circling the wagons", it's you and the vast minority of people still beating the drum for Jason Garrett. Your numbers are in endangered species territory.

So the users here are the sum total of all Cowboys fans all over the world? Because the users here who are whining for Garrett's firing speak for the real ACTUAL number of Cowboys fans world wide? Do you need help carrying around an ego the size of yours?

lostar2009

Reaction score
The scouting dept had gotten better that is why this team is on the rise. I admit JG does have the correct mentally and get the players ready to play but it's more than that. JG constantly fail to put his players in position to win and to adjust on the fly. He constantly allow other coaches to out coach him and to play big on him. We have an infrastructure in place to get the players. At this point we need a coach who can put these guys in the correct scheme and can coach. Watching that Atlanta game let me know JG doesn't have the ability to adjust to allow a simple chip.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

We shall see . The bottom line remains whether we support him or not Jerry does .

Until that changes. He’s our guy. My goal is to figure how to surround him with enough talent for more success.

Haimerej

Reaction score
We shall see . The bottom line remains whether we support him or not Jerry does .

Until that changes. He’s our guy. My goal is to figure how to surround him with enough talent for more success.

You trying to take McClay's job?

Reactions: G2

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Really? He's really good at stating the obvious, that's all. He's better than Phil Simms, but that's like beating a ret@rded kid at basketball. Romo, Collinsworth, Moose and others are far more insightful.

What Trouty didn't say is Aikman has admitted that he's extra critical of the Cowboys because he doesn't want to be labeled as just a homer announcer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We're supposed to suffer year after year and the only thing that changes are our ages. I was 30 the last time the Cowboys played for anything important. I never understood the just give him time defense. All over the league teams are having more success than the Cowboys. Some are just satisfied with a playoff appearance every few years. I want to win something.

We've been passed by like we're standing still. How anyone can preach yet more patience while the Rams and Eagles fly past us in one to two years is ridiculous.