Why didn't we pick an offensive lineman with our first three picks you asked?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Torrance was BPA in the 2nd by a mile. Find me another 2nd round guard who's given up 0 sacks in 4 years.
The thing is the Cowboys see things we don’t see. They interview guys one on one…they have scouts who scout these players all year. All we do is look at film and think we know enough about the player. Maybe they are wrong….but they are following their board.

Sandyf

Reaction score
I believe the starters will be
Tyler Smith LT
a
A. Edoga LG
Biadazs OC
Martin RG
T. Steele RT
Tyron Smith swing OT

Tyron will start at RT if Steele not ready

Remember last year some of the coaches thought Waletzko was going to beat out Steele. Ball has been working out as an OG all off season. Edoga was a 3rd rounder mainly due to medicals which now seems to be taken care of at this point.
Richard's will train at LG in camp as will Bass.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Just crossing your fingers and hoping that all those dudes play 17 games isn’t gonna work out. Richards, Edoga, Ball, Waletzko and Farniok don’t blow me away as capable starters if we lose someone long term.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Ball is going to surprise a few fans as an offensive guard.

Waletzko is still a mystery at OT. No one really knows what he’ll be.

Chuma Edoga and the OT they drafted in the 5th round will compete with Ball and Farniok at Guard.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Because who are we moving to the bench? Barring injury in training camp this is our starting group, IMO.

Tyron Smith LT
Tyler Smith LG
Biadasz C
Martin RG
Steele RT

Swing tackles/back up guards will be Waletzko/Peters and Ball
Waletzko is going to surprise many people here. We will draft a backup at the center position today.

If ya'll laugh at Tyron getting his job back at LT, go look at the Bucs and 49er games. ESPECIALLY the 49er name. The dude was kicking and taking names out there. When healthy he's still our best option at tackle.

You don't sit a first ballot HOFer when he's healthy and still playing very well.

I don't guarantee anything but I think this is what they were thinking last night.

Guess what those are? The number of games Tyron Smith has played the last three years. Banking on him being healthy is kinda silly at this point.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ball is going to surprise a few fans as an offensive guard.

Waletzko is still a mystery at OT. No one really knows what he’ll be.

Chuma Edoga and the OT they drafted in the 5th round will compete with Ball and Farniok at Guard.
Ball will do no such thing. He's only there because he bombed out at OT. I would put more faith in the kid from UNC we took yesterday than in Ball at this point.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Just crossing your fingers and hoping that all those dudes play 17 games isn’t gonna work out.

Richards, Edoga, Ball, Waletzko and Farniok don’t blow me away as capable starters if we lose someone long term.
You don't know that and neither do I. We are not coaches and GMs for a reason. IMO it just doesn't make sense to sit or move on from Tyron who kicked Bosa's a**, reworked his contract, great locker room guy and still is our best option at tackle.
Most teams, if not all, don't have starters as backups. If they are THAT good to be starting they would've moved on in FA. Steele is a great story but he's the exception to the rule.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not drafting Mazi and sitting a guy who kicked Nick Bosa's in the playoff is dumb too.

Are you one of the many here that's been wanting a NT for 20 years?
I don't think many are suggesting bench Tyron.

But they are pointing out he's missed a crap ton of games the last few years and not taking an interior OL because you plan on Tyler Smith starting there all season is kinda risky and possibly stupid.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score

Guess what those are? The number of games Tyron Smith has played the last three years. Banking on him being healthy is kinda silly at this point.
Do ya'll have anything else on him?

So you too want to move on from a guy who doesn't give up hardly any sacks when he's playing? Did you even watch him play in the playoffs? He shut that right side DOWN. Nick Bosa went to go pick on Tyler on the left side because Tyron was kicking his a** on the right.

There is a reason why you're (and myself for that matter) just a poster at a football forum and not a coach or a GM.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
I don't think many are suggesting bench Tyron.

But they are pointing out he's missed a crap ton of games the last few years and not taking an interior OL because you plan on Tyler Smith starting there all season is kinda risky and possibly stupid.
If I said "Bench" instead of "Sit" then my bad, brother. They want to make him a swing tackle. I don't think that's smart to make our best tackle a swing tackle.

GMO415

Reaction score
How many games will Tyron play? Maybe 6 - 8? Dude needs to go.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
You don't know that and neither do I. We are not coaches and GMs for a reason. IMO it just doesn't make sense to sit or move on from Tyron who kicked Bosa's a**, reworked his contract, great locker room guy and still is our best option at tackle.
Most teams, if not all, don't have starters as backups. If they are THAT good to be starting they would've moved on in FA. Steele is a great story but he's the exception to the rule.

It’s not about moving on, it’s about being prepared.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
This only looks good on paper I'll explain......
Tyron Smith- Unfortunately an injury waiting to happen and there is NO way he plays 17+ games next year.
Tyler Smith- Our new Larry Allen and can play anywhere on the O-line just like Larry and will be an anchor for years to come.
Biadasz- A decent center but gets blown backwards into Prescott way too often.
Martin- One of the all time greatest guards to ever play the game but he can't do it all by himself.
Steele- A really good Rt. tackle but he's coming off an ACL and how long does that injury take to heal? Ya that's what I thought.
And those back ups please! Ball = bust....Peters is applying for his AARP card....and Waletzko is on the verge of getting cut if he doesn't step up.
Tyler Smith is a very good OL, but Our new Larry Allen?.. Come on man...

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Because who are we moving to the bench? Barring injury in training camp this is our starting group, IMO.

Tyron Smith LT
Tyler Smith LG
Biadasz C
Martin RG
Steele RT

Swing tackles/back up guards will be Waletzko/Peters and Ball
Waletzko is going to surprise many people here. We will draft a backup at the center position today.

If ya'll laugh at Tyron getting his job back at LT, go look at the Bucs and 49er games. ESPECIALLY the 49er name. The dude was kicking and taking names out there. When healthy he's still our best option at tackle.

You don't sit a first ballot HOFer when he's healthy and still playing very well.

I don't guarantee anything but I think this is what they were thinking last night.
No one dogs his talent. Most big men on the line stay good for a while If they take care of themselves and avoid injuries. Doesn’t rely on speed as much as other positions and not a body killing position.

What people question is will he stay healthy. All that talent is no good if we continually lose it, and shuffle the line to make up for it.

I was scared of the OLine last year and they did okay, even with so many injuries to starters, so I’m not panicking, but I would have liked to see another fat boy on the other line picked in the second round, to go with our new defensive lineman. I think the Boys are on to something, have to outmuscle if we’re going to beat Philly or San Fran.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
With drafting only one lineman in this draft, and on day 3 too, that is EXACTLY what they are thinking, my man.
The Cowboys have drafted 5 Olinemen in the last 3 drafts, and signed a Olineman free agent who is only 25 years old and a former 3rd round pick. This is AFTER picking up current starters Terence Steele and Tyler Biadasz as rookies in 2020. This is not including Tyron Smith or Zack Martin. EXACTLY how many Olinemen do you suppose they need?

Cowboys Current Olinemen:
2011 - OT Tyron Smith (1st round)
2014 - OG Zack Martin (1st round)
2020 - C Tyler Biadasz (4th round)
2020 - OT Terence Steele (UDFA)
2021 - OT/OG Josh Ball (4th round)
2021 - OG Matt Farniok (7th round)
2022 - OT Tyler Smith (1st round)
2022 - OT Matt Waletzko (5th round)
2022 - OC Alec Lindstrom (UDFA)
2022 - OC Brock Hoffman (UDFA)
2023 - Signed OT/OG Chuma Edoga (2019 3rd round pick of Jets)
2023 - OT/OG Asim Richard (5th round)
2023 - OT Earl Bostick, Jr. (UDFA)
2023 - OG T.J. Bass (UDFA)

By my count, even if they keep Tyler Smith at Left Tackle, they have a bunch of guys to compete for the starting LG spot - Edoga (3rd), Ball (4th), Farniok (7th), Richards (5th), Bass (UDFA). If you include Tyler Smith, they have draft picks from the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, & 7th round, plus an UDFA to fill the guard spot. And this doesn't include the possibility of moving Terence Steele inside.

For crying out loud, calm down!!

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
No one dogs his talent. Most big men on the line stay good for a while If they take care of themselves and avoid injuries. Doesn’t rely on speed as much as other positions and not a body killing position.

What people question is will he stay healthy. All that talent is no good if we continually lose it, and shuffle the line to make up for it.

I was scared of the OLine last year and they did okay, even with so many injuries to starters, so I’m not panicking, but I would have liked to see another fat boy on the other line picked in the second round, to go with our new defensive lineman. I think the Boys are on to something, have to outmuscle if we’re going to beat Philly or San Fran.
Excellent post, Hermano!

Much better than GMO saying "he needs to go." That's not good thinking to get rid of a HOFer who's still playing at that level when he's healthy. If he is the top paid tackle then I can understand that thinking. But the dude isn't even in the top 10 highest paid tackles.