Why didn't we pick an offensive lineman with our first three picks you asked?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Peters is a 41 year old free agent and Ball sucks. We saw what happened when Steele went down last year - the run game died. Even Pollard averaged less than 3 yards per carry from that point.

The OL depth is no better than it was last year. Relying on the starting five to stay healthy for 17 games is wishful thinking.
I’m so glad that you brought up the fact that the run game - in fact - died. It fell off a cliff after Steele got hurt.

If they’re playing’Best 5’, it’s undoubtedly Tyron-Tyler-Biadasz-Martin-Steele. There’s no debate about that.

But if that’s the case, they had better have a great replacement for WHEN Tyron Smith gets hurt again. And one that does NOT involve taking Tyler Smith out of left guard.

A solid rookie would have given them that option, but they chose to go in a different direction.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ball is going to surprise a few fans as an offensive guard.
No he isn’t. The surprise will be yours when they cut him. He’s simply not good.
Waletzko is still a mystery at OT. No one really knows what he’ll be.

Chuma Edoga and the OT they drafted in the 5th round will compete with Ball and Farniok at Guard.
Which inspires zero confidence.

plasticman

Reaction score
Depending on a healthy Tyron Smith would completely contradict the last five seasons of his career. The odds of him making it through 17 regular seasons games and a postseason is exponentially fractional.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
How much draft capitol have the Cowboys invested in the oline over the years? Acting like they dont give the position draft capitol is nutz....again Under JG if the player wasnt all pro before he got here he would fade away... under MM those players are getting better and moving into starting jobs.. how can you say our OL depth sucks when they have not even started rookie reporting yet, maybe judge it after TC, I'm trying to find the other teams that have 5 Allpro's backing up 5 HOF's at OL

Acceptablename

Reaction score
What’s the Dallas Cowboys history I can’t imagine questioning the first pic quite seriously. Never second pic although I consider it a good selection I can see the debate about taking and offensive guard. Big Mike Watch determined to upgrade the tiedown spot

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Honestly...go watch the Sr bowl...a 330 LB G was getting blown up by 220lb LBers. I'm glad we passed...
By that logic, you would have passed on Randy Moss after he was shut down his last college game by two 5'9" CB's who didn't make it to the NFL.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
I am curious to the armchair GMs on this forum. If Torrance was the next great guard why did it take until the back end of the 2nd round for a team to draft him? He was selected after us, so why did several teams -- knowing that IOL was a consideration for us -- not jump in front of us to draft him. Maybe other team's had some concerns with him too. Also consider, that the team changed its OL coach and we have no idea how his approach will affect the play of both the current projected starters and the backups. How about we give them the benefit of the doubt, before we start prognosticating how many games we are going to lose this year because are backup OL don't include Quenton Nelson, Lane Johnson, Trent Williams and Ronnie Stanley.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Because who are we moving to the bench? Barring injury in training camp this is our starting group, IMO.

Tyron Smith LT
Tyler Smith LG
Biadasz C
Martin RG
Steele RT

Swing tackles/back up guards will be Waletzko/Peters and Ball
Waletzko is going to surprise many people here. We will draft a backup at the center position today.

If ya'll laugh at Tyron getting his job back at LT, go look at the Bucs and 49er games. ESPECIALLY the 49er name. The dude was kicking and taking names out there. When healthy he's still our best option at tackle.

You don't sit a first ballot HOFer when he's healthy and still playing very well.

I don't guarantee anything but I think this is what they were thinking last night.
You do know Steele tore his ACL in December, right? He won't be able to play until probably mid season, at best, so he can't be on your list, assuming you're talking about the season opening lineup. Tyron? He hasn't played a full season for like 6 years, chances of him playing even 12 or so games is slim, at best. He has to be a backup at this point in his career. Besides the injury situation, just how long are you going to avoid replacing him? Remember he was a first round pick, can't expect some 3rd rounder to get even close to his level, though it's possible it's unlikely.

Martin is no spring chicken, either how long do you expect him to play? This is not the last season the Cowboys will ever play, ignoring the future is a killer for any NFL team, have to have replacement ready to go at all times.

Imo, the Cowboys failure to draft OL early will be a real problem by next year, and possibly this year even.

Oh well, Jerry has spoken....

ESisback

Reaction score
How did everyone forget we signed Chuma Edoga?

He is a solid LG ........ I think he starts at LG and Steel plays the swing until Tyron gets hurt.
Farniok, Edoga, Waletzko, Ball, Bass, Lindstrom, Taylor, Bostick and Richards are all listed as backups on the roster. Think they can get an acceptable backup LG and OT out of nine guys? Relax!

Last edited:

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Because who are we moving to the bench? Barring injury in training camp this is our starting group, IMO.

Tyron Smith LT
Tyler Smith LG
Biadasz C
Martin RG
Steele RT

Waletzko is going to surprise many people here. We will draft a backup at the center position today.

If ya'll laugh at Tyron getting his job back at LT, go look at the Bucs and 49er games. ESPECIALLY the 49er name. The dude was kicking and taking names out there. When healthy he's still our best option at tackle.

You don't sit a first ballot HOFer when he's healthy and still playing very well.

I don't guarantee anything but I think this is what they were thinking last night.
You have 3 lineman there that barely passable as starters if that in Tyron, Biadasz, and Steele.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Thin offensive line class.....
Exactly, plus we didn't pick till #26. I don't know who was left for the OL by 26th, but IMO we needed a quality DT as well. At least we drafted a very good run blocking TE. I was hoping we would draft a good LT in 21 and 22 but we never did it. It's hard enough to draft a lot of good players, but when you don't pick till 26th it's even harder.

gtb1943

Reaction score

Tyron Smith LT
Tyler Smith LG
Biadasz C
Martin RG
Steele RT

We have no quality depth and expecting Tyron to break the pattern is dumb.

So yes your post is a pile of crap.

starfan1

Reaction score
Smith-Smith-Biadaz-Martin-Steele Solid,If not great oline
Edoga- TJ Bass-Ball-Waletzco-Bostick-Asim Richards
Wheres the panic coming from ????
There’s nothing about that back up line that gives me confidence but I’ll wait and see

It will be needed early and often if recent history repeats itself

Ball is horrible . Waletzco is a project but we won’t know till the pads are on

The TE pick to me was a reach . I would have waited till round 3 at the earliest but who am I